Kenyon College

« See more reviews of Kenyon College

Religious and LGBT groups, as well as other groups from dodgeball to a film making club are very active on campus. Each semester a fair is held so that students have the opportunity to get information on all the groups. While groups such as frats and sports teams tend to stick together, none of them are exclusive and the members have many friends outside of the group as well. Since Kenyon draws wealthy students and artsy students, classwear is anything from a dress and heels to ripped jeans and flannel.

Seriously diverse. Maybe not financially or racially, but certainly in terms of lifestyle, personality and values. You could spend a Saturday night so many different ways I can't even imagine. A student concert, a rager in someone's apartment, a frat party, the library, wine and poker at someone's apartment, camping at the environmental center, swimming, running through cornfields, going to the arts center in Columbus for a show, the possibilities are endless.

Very diverse range of students (not so much racially, but based on personality). Every 'type' of student you can find--nerdy, sporty, social, shy. I feel comfortable wearing mostly anything to class. However, upperclassmen stress that the student body is changing, especially with my freshman class, to the type of typical college students everywhere in America, instead of the unique off-beat students Kenyon traditionally produced.

The only person who would feel out of place here is one who thinks trying is for losers. Or maybe someone who absolutely hates the rural, isolated atmosphere. That said, Kenyon is home to a wide variety of students, most of whom are fairly laid back and understanding. There isn't a lot of racial diversity compared to other top liberal arts colleges. There IS a lot of geographic diversity and a growing pool of international students.

The Kenyon campus is very open. Students, professors, as well as administrators take part in the LGBT community. Every student has his/her people which they can hang out with and relate to. Most students dress presentably to class. However, everyone has their days and sometimes their bad week. I guess a lot of the students here come from wealthy backgrounds, however, I think Kenyon does a good making all of the students fit in.

There is little diversity on campus. I think that any minority would feel at first out of place at Kenyon. As a Jew, even though Jews make up 10-15 percent of the student body (few are practicing, however), I initially felt very out of place and sometimes still do. Many Kenyon students are from New York, D.C. and L.A. and surrounding areas. Students are not too politically active but the great majority are liberal.

Kenyon is not especially religious. There are not a huge amount of non-white people here, but we're working on it, and it's respectable. I would feel comfortable sitting down at any table of friends (not so much at a frat or team table). Kenyon leans to the left, but is blessedly free of the uniqueness contest I saw at so many colleges like Sarah Lawrence.

Students are predominantly liberal. Very casual dress. Most students are from wealthier backgrounds. I think most of the students have a skewed view on what is really important. You will hear complaints about administration having to stop a "bonfire." However, the bonfire was a safety hazard. Or you will hear complaints about the dining hall.

I think there are representations of most groups-- enough so no one feels left out. politics: mostly liberal, democrat, those are the ones who voice their opinions the most. 4 tables in dining hall: one with all girls, one with all guys, the other two coed.

Students are friendly in general. All students wear casual clothing to class. Sometimes with just a sweatpants and a sweater. Most students from Kenyon came from upper / middle class family. Majority are Caucasians . Students are politically active and aware.