Kenyon College

« See more reviews of Kenyon College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

When people see that Kenyon is in Gambier, Ohio, a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, they often assume two things: there must be nothing to do there and I bet that they're bunch of hippies. Who else would live in a rural Ohio village with fields of corn surrounding the two roads into town where the college is known for its English program? It must be a bunch of hippies who just smoke a lot of pot. And if these people are interested enough to visit the campus, they'll see that not only are there people tight-roping between the statues outside of Rosse hall and lounging on the abundant green lawns, there are a lot of people in pastel khaki shorts and popped Polo shirts. Hippies AND prepsters? Kenyon must be really weird.

Kenyon is one of if not the most beautiful campus anywhere, on a sunny spring day. The faculty is brilliant and are eager to work with and help students on anything. The current dean of students (Tammy Goscial) is a total b****. She doesn't seem to be in tune with the students at all. Everyone is very friendly and smart. There is almost no exclusivity. There is a stereotype that Kenyon girls are ugly and that the people can be sort of quirky.

There are two predominant Kenyon stereotypes: the hippie and the little rich kid. The hippie is the kid you see walking around with long, uncombed hair, Birkenstocks, ratty pants and a wrinkled t-shirt. The little rich kid is well groomed, has a popped Polo shirt, pastel khaki shorts and coiffed hair. The hippie walks everywhere, the rich kid has a Hummer. One carries a frisbee and the other spend his time at the KAC pumping up.

The stereotypes about Kenyon and its students are that everyone is from New England boarding schools, have a lot of money, act artsy and intellectual even though they probably are not, and dress like hobos (who have money to back it up). There's also a lot of elitist people here who think they're all that because they go to Kenyon and they look down on anybody who does not fit that mentality.

The students are all sickeningly rich, North-eastern, white, awkard preps who fit into two categories: those who drink and party as much as they can, and those who stay in their rooms and work. The school is overly expensive and is known for its extensive english and drama departments, as well as its utter seclusion and happy relations with townspeople.

Students are stoners (not really true, I mean people smoke pot at every college, as do I, but not unnaturally cluttered with "stoners"); great English program (not a lie; most teachers are beautiful people); now top 10 Most Expensive College in America (definitely not a lie)

I am not sure - one of the interesting things about Kenyon is that it's got a really mixed student body in terms of traditional stereotypes. It has its fair share of jocks, preppy kids, hippies, emo kids, etc. It's probably not considered a fun school.

Outside of our circle of elite/semi-elite liberal arts colleges, I don't think there is any. Nobody's heard of us. Inside it, we like to characterize ourselves as quirky friendly community-oriented intellectuals.

I don't know of any stereotypes of Kenyon students, other than the general stereotypes of students at any liberal arts school: liberal politics, care about social justice, sandals in winter, use pot or smoke, etc.

People think that Kenyon is full of hippies and pot smokers. Kenyon girls are "heinous" and the boys are half preppy half crunchy.