Los Angeles Valley College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Los Angeles Valley College

Melissa

It is a great school but the ratings I gave it were mainly because I haven't been in the school due to social distance learning. From what I know the school is great and there are many wonderful programs that help inform students of what is going on and what is going to happen with school and online learning.

Jade

Los Angeles Valley College (LAVC) is a good community college. The price per credit is affordable and the selection of classes is decent. I am a high school (concurrent) student, so under California Law, I have the ability to take community college classes for free. LAVC's student body is very artistic and unique. There are all sorts of people that attend classes at LAVC - actors, professionals, regular community college students, returning older students, people from all races and cultural backgrounds, etc. The campus is best described as, well, wabi-sabi. However, one can come to appreciate the slightly worn, well-used appearance of the buildings and general campus. Overall, LAVC is a good school - perhaps not the best, but certainly not the worst.

LAVC is really great as a community college. The teachers are very informed and are able to talk with the class in depth about the subject matter. The cafeteria is actually pretty good although not gourmet. The biggest issue is that a lot of the resources like the library and labs are not always accessible, due to low funding.

Alex

The idea of a community college is great. Does LAVC give you what you expect? Yes. Does it give you much more? No. Overall, the classes are relatively easy. I've been involved in tutoring and what not, and I've aced all my classes. The real question is, are we really learning anything? That answer would be, "I guess". You get what you put in, but that ceiling for your effort isn't as high as it would at a university. LAVC is exactly what it should be, unfortunately, it's nothing more. If you're a resident, you get what you pay for. If you're a non-resident such as myself, I feel bad for you.

Kai

Los Angeles Valley College is mediocre at best because it does not offer enough to STEM students. There are typically only one or two sections of any class in higher mathematics, physics, chemistry, or any similar subject. Often, these classes have conflicting schedules, preventing students from taking the classes they need in a timely manner.

Micah

Los Angeles Valley College is a community college with a wide variety of opportunities for students. They include many student services such as financial aid, job training and opportunities, transferring programs, as well as yearly scholarship opportunities available. The faculty and staff are always available to help fellow students or prospective students interested. There are a wide variety of courses available with more than 140 academic and certificate programs to choose from. As an arts major, I was able to not only take and finish most of my general education courses, but I was able to help build and create my art portfolio through the many art classes Valley has to offer. Not only are there general ed, computer, and performing art classes available, but you can also enroll in other physical classes like yoga or judo. Los Angeles Valley College is a very open minded campus that supports their students no matter what background they have, whether they are in need of financial help, come from an immigrant background/first generation students, or are a part of the minority or LGBTQ+ community. The campus also offers financial opportunities and programs available to those backgrounds/communities as well. As a student currently enrolled in Los Angeles Valley College, I can definitely recommend coming here because of the broad opportunities available. Most students here are very involved on campus activities, whether it is through attending clubs or working on campus. Through this you can build connections with students and staff in helping you further your career path.

Jazmin

Coming to valley college was not my first choice, I felt like coming here instead of a prestigious school the professors may not think much of me or they might not care. I thought the students would be careless and the resources poor BUT I was wrong! I am happy to have opted to this school. I came to this school because I could not afford to do four years in a university, and I feel like I received just as good of a general education for so much less in cost. The professors were above my expectations, caring, committed available, respectful and resourceful. Classes are small in size and a lot of the time, the professors are coming from other universities and just teach at several schools. The class discussions were always so diverse and interesting there are people of all ages and backgrounds. The offices for resources like admissions and financial aid always did their best to help me as best as they could I really have no complaints. I came here expecting little and I am so happy I did my general education here I would have been in debt, but I have been able to pay for all my classes at valley college without breaking my bank! I suggest this to anyone who is also undecided it is a good way to know you're not wasting so much money if you end up changing your major or path which is very common.

Srbuhi

Los Angeles Valley College has a wonderful environment in which students have the opportunity to thrive using the many resources which are provided to them. As a student at this College, I am highly satisfied with the cleanliness of the campus and the many devoted professors there who make learning interactive and fun.

Kaori

LAVC is an incredibly special campus. The staff members on campus are truly remarkable individuals. From the biology lab technician that has a spiritual connection to crayfish to the feminist-Wiccan sociology professor, LAVC is full of one-of-a-kind souls. Aside from the faculty, LAVC is home to a robust squirrel population. I cannot give a true opinion about LAVC without honorably mentioning the squirrels that have been a part of my life for years by walking me from my class to my car every night, and even leaving acorns at my feet for good luck before a test. Thus, my overall opinion of LAVC is beyond outstanding, and my stance has been shaped by the wonderful characters that roam the campus.

Lisette

Of all three Community Colleges in the San Fernando Valley that I have personally attended, Los Angeles Valley College is honestly my favorite. Faculty are extremely helpful, professors are fair in their grading and appropriately challenge students. The campus itself is well maintained, and you can tell everyone takes pride in this campus.

Janelle

I think Los Angeles Valley College is a very affordable and nice campus with incredible teachers. I've enjoyed my time here and look forward to transferring to a 4 year university to finish my undergraduate.

Mr

I personally, had a great experience at Valley. I love the school. The Mathematics department, in my opinion, is the hidden diamond of departments. The English department has a lot of love for its students. People on campus kind of keep to themselves...not much comradery unless you know someone from high school after recently graduated. Overall opinion? Keep reading... Valley College is like every other college, the opinion differs from person to person based on the major they selected and who the school hired that year. So, I don't really have an overall opinion about the school. Groups make an otherwise dead campus life, come alive. Administration is careful NOT to appropriate too many funds in campus life because of the lack of community among students. Let's get real...most students that go there weren't great students to begin with, so why would anyone think about investing in that? I don't mean to sound harsh but here's a few things that you may find interesting. The campus has a newer feel when you first enter from the front entrance and from the back street entrance where the sheriff's station is...still is? It's as if they want to appear like a newer school from a street view...and there's nothing wrong with that; however, once you're inside some parts of the campus look like you've stepped out of a Delorean. Don't get me wrong, this has no impact on the quality of the education but the campus does appear a bit aged which may or may not impact one's motivation. Admissions/Student Services personnel is just there for a paycheck. Clearly. Extremely unpleasant individuals that work behind the counter, unless they have an office, then they treat you like you have a name. This is the same at most community colleges (I've attended 4 of them) so don't think I'm pointing fingers. Hold on....IF...now this is a BIG IF...IF YOU are an exceptional student, I'm talking Magna or Summa Cum Laude status, the staff actually treats you better. Unfortunately, you have to get them to look up your records so they know that about you but once they do, THEN and ONLY THEN will you get some kind of "service with a smile." So, it does pay off to be a good student, otherwise they just assume you're another bubblegum-chewing high school drop-out. I'm not trying to bash the school that has helped me so much, rather I'm trying to exploit something in general about community college campuses. It just so happens that this was the first LACCD campus I attended so I decided to write about it but most of the negative information applies to the LACCD campuses in general. LACC is the same. ELAC is the same. Trade Tech is the worst...wow. So, overall? There is no such answer that accurately encompasses a valid opinion.

kennedy

Los Angele Valley College is a good school for anyone, but specifically for those that have just graduated from high school. They are a little slow with anything technical, such as the Los Angeles College promise and finical.

Michaela

Los Angeles Valley College is a great school for people to improve their grades after high school and transfer to a good university. The faculty really care about their students and guide them in their process to transfer or graduate. The counselors are always available for one-on-one appointments to discuss which classes one needs to take for his or her major and general education requirements. Books can be very expensive in the student store and are often not used in the class, resulting in a waste of money. Overall, a cheaper way to finish the first two years of a 4-year college with many resources to help with the process.

Andrea

I adore Los Angeles Valley College. It's considered to be a Community College therefore it's afforable and close to home which is a must for me. This college is beyond gorgeous becoming more and more modern every few months. I appreciate the students and administrators who keep our campus clean. Everything we ever need to be successful in college is close and easy to use. There are a plethora of clubs and classes you can join in. Professors are very well at keeping their students informed with events not only happening on campus but in our community too. I certainly hope I win this scholarship so I may continue to attend Los Angeles Valley College.

Andrea

My time at LAVC was very nice. It was a great college to collect transfer credits. My experience with the staff was good, only a few hiccups trying to register as a resident with the college. When I applied to go to school I had only just lived in Los Angeles for a year so showing the correct documents was a process. The rest of the time there was wonderful. The professors were all very caring and open to questions and helping whenever needed. I had one of the best class experiences of my life at LAVC taking English 103 with Professor Kaz and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Speech 101 with Dr. Green was also one of the best classes I've taken.

German

Los Angeles Valley College is a great place to attend as there is wide variety of resources that you can use for free. There are tutors on campus that you can access as they are scheduled on your time. The buildings are fairly old but they are rebuilding many structure. The cafeteria is amazing as they have many selections to choose from, but if you don't want campus food there are near by restaurants. If you are into sports, you are in the right campus as the sports teams are the best, especially the football team. Furthermore, it is a quiet, clean, friendly campus that I would recommend anyone to attend. Go Monarchs!

Shelly

Los Angeles Valley College has a huge campus. I'm a college freshman and they have so may programs to offer. From yoga, dance, choir, theatre, to sports, and film. The food is great. There is a nice smoothie place, and a cafeteria with plenty of options. The teachers are really supportive and I hear a lot of people have a high transfer rate to UCLA and Csun after Valley College.

Aariel

It’s a great school for those whom are advancing in to four year universities or those whom prefer to get a two year degree. They have helped even those whom have been out of school to get back into achieving their education . It’s a tight community where the staff and faculty all want to see you succeed and they will never let you drop the ball on your education .

I enjoy the campus as it has a lot of greenery, delicious Acai bowls, and a diverse community. Because it is a community college, it is also quite affordable. There are a variety of courses in order to help students find their true interest. In being able to finally solidify my major, and join a club related to my new found interest in Film, Television, and Entertainment, I became forever grateful for Los Angeles Valley College. However, the Broadcasting Department lacks the motivation to make the department as amazing as it should be. I found that the Cinema/Media Arts department has professors that are genuinely interested in their subject and teachings, but are not always welcoming of diverse creative styles. This school in particular, only offers scholarships once a year as well. I have taken a variety of subject at this campus and have only had one difficult professor. The professor was simply difficult to communicate with, and there are a few others, but this has never stopped me from maintaining my GPA. This campus also has a large amount of resources for minorities, foster youth, undocumented students, and more. Unfortunately, this not advertised and must be sought out, as with most event and resources on campus. It is also incredibly difficult to see a counselor, especially if you are not on campus. Students must come to the office in person at 8AM in order to guarantee an appointment. There is also an online option, however, not all ID numbers work. The counseling office claims that students may call in instead, but they do not answer the phone until the in-person line has been completed and appointments are no longer available. If students need to see a counselor on the same day they must call or go into the counseling office in the morning for a 10 minute appointment versus the 30 minute appointment offered on Tuesdays only. Luckily, I have found a counselor who listens and offers genuine academic advice, but I have not met another counselor who cares. If you are someone who can conduct a plan on their own and simply confirm with a counselor and are confident in finding resources on your own, the campus may be a more pleasant experience. At the very least, this is a great option for student who know they want to transfer and know their transfer path, or students looking to explore potential majors and/or certifications. The last downfall of this campus is that they are pushing for fully online courses and are no longer offering a variety of on-campus options for those, such as myself, who are auditory learners and prefer in-person lectures.

Jose

Los Angeles Valley College has an abundance of resources to help you achieve you academic/career goals. LAVC offers free tutoring for ALL MATH course offered by the school. It also offers free tutoring for chem, physics, accounting, spanish, french, and economics courses. This is extremely helpful in advanced comprehension of the subject matter and achieving a strong gpa for transfer. LAVC also offers career certificates to help its students land entry level jobs. Most professor are welcoming and eager to help overall LAVC offers all the resources necessary for a successful college experience.

kristianne

I gotta say, this college is just OK. It could be a lot worse but I think that they are slowly trying to improve on existing problems. I really do like the cafeteria and the student store! There is so much variety of food to eat and I also love the library, it does need more computers though...

Samoan

I think its a very good middle ground school to get you to the next step in your journey. There are lots of opportunities to help you with whatever you want to do. This school sets up your future but you have to have the drive to work for it because no one is around to push you. They will set you up in the right direction then you're on your own.

Caylen

Many people consider Los Angeles Valley College the place where you lose yourself educationally. The graduation and transfer year is very low and I know a multitude amount of people that have taken 5+ years to get a two year transfer degree. Most classes are mainly pushovers and the professors seem to always be lenient.

Shawntoya

This is my second semester attending LAVC and I’ve hated it. I was previously enrolled at LACC which is where I completed 90% of my classes but I needed a class that LACC didn’t offer during the season so I had to take it at the nearest college and they made me switch home schools in order to get my financial aid. It’s been ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. It seems like everytime the semester start they take their precious time with the disbursements and then they always try to take ext money. They don’t take academic status into consideration it’s basically like they don’t care. Counselor office is hard to get an appointment with so if anything does go wrong it takes weeks to see a counselor and then EXTRA WEEKS for the to fix the issue