Modesto Junior College

« See more reviews of Modesto Junior College

I would tell myself to prepare to enter the greatest competition I have ever participated in. College is just the beginning of a brutal competion called life. College is the vessel, the instrument that prepares you for life and the career and social networks that will support you throughout the rest of your life. To view college as a party experience or a chance to get away from home is the wrong approach. In college, you should be selfish and studious, always learning and challenging your knowledge. Graduation is only the beginning. In these times of harsh economies, it is truly an employers market and knowledge in your chosen field is not enough. You have to be able to stand apart from the millions of other graduates, have some piece of knowledge or an outstanding personality that sets you apart from the individual who has been in your industry for years, but is willing to settle for an entry level position so that he can feed his family. The college experience is a lesson, a life learning event, that will affect the rest of your life more than other single event. Fight for victory, fight to win, fight for knowledge.

If I met my high-school-senior-self, she would be very confused. She was a high school superstar, starting college at 16; I am 24, and have yet to graduate. So what happened? The star student couldn't afford to move out or go away to college, and ended up staying at home: commuting to a local school with limited academic options (a 30-mile drive each way, every day), watching her parents' marriage dissolve, falling into an abusive relationship, and all the while feeling that her academic success was the key to everyone's happiness. Eventually that pressure led to depression, and skipped classes, and failure. Now she's 24, and she hasn't finished college. But -- she has learned the importance of self. She has overcome her depression and fears. She moved to New York City. And she became a new woman -- a woman with strength, character, curiosity, and a desire to learn. A woman ready to start over. I would tell my younger self that she cannot be responsible for other people's happiness. That learning is bigger than school. That there's always time for a second chance. I would tell her to be herself.

Considering the fact that there is no actual opportunity to go back in time to my former self and give some advice on how to better make the transition between high school and college life, I am glad to have this chance to ponder some ways that I could have transitioned better. Firstly, I would have loved to have been more informed about the many various scholarship opportunities that I had missed out on. As a high school student, I did not apply myself to many activities and groups available there. Now, I would say to take advantage of your high school teachers and all the programs that exist. The many scholarships that are out there could have made my life easier and I would not have been so worried about the 500 dollar average spent on books and the money on gas and other supplies. The other piece of advice I would give myself would be to take more Advanced Placement classes. The reason is that all the AP classes I took and passed have really helped in college and have made me a well-rounded student. Lastly, college life is still stressful, so get used to it.

If I was able to go back to my high school senior year I would tell myself several things. One topic would be to take a full year off before going to college and experiencing life, do not trust your job and the promises that they are making. Go on the volunteer trip to Australia and soak up everything that you can. Do not be so shy while meeting new people. There will be many situations in which your life will be enriched if you put yourself out there earlier. Take a mixture of classes, take two serious classes, one fun class, and one PE class. Do not let three bad planning meetings make you wait until the end of your Junior College career to go back and seek advice. While applying for college write fun and creative essays. Be unique?remember the panel is probably reading tons of these essays. Find creative ways to make ours stand out. Spend the night at the college you are interested in. See if you can sit in on a class or attend a weekend activity to get a real sense of the environment. And more importantly ? have fun.

Dear Younger Me, Life does not get easier from this point, nor does it necessarily get harder. There will be more choices. There will be more regrets, more responsiblity. There will be more rewards. To be successful: read what you are supposed to read. Don't assume anything won't be on the test. Do what you know needs to be done NOW because leaving it for later turns into the lame excuse "I didn't have time." Study for tests, but don't do it at 2:00am the morning of, and be sure to ask for help when you need it. You will learn that few mistakes are completely irreversable, and that it is worth the effort to correct them, this applies to life as well as school. You will learn success is more than a number in a back account, and beauty is less about how a person looks and more about how they feel. You will learn that a good attitude can change an irritating situation to an irrelevent one. You will learn dreams are worth following, and if you follow them long enough, you will find them.

Use community college as a means to an end. The recession will prevent you from getting a job and financial aid will be your only way to gain income, go straight into technical school or construction and get a job with computers because the job market is big and there is no time to worry about following your dreams if you have no guarantee of finding a job. Money cannot buy you happiness but it sure as hell can reduce your stress significantly and if you are having mental breakdowns from the stress of not having enough money to eat and pay bills and no hope you will not end up anywhere but contemplating saving enough money for a gun. Save your money even if you're miserable and hide it from your family and hide it from yourself if possible. Your family is poor and they will drag you down with them and you will be stuck living at home until you're old and life has passed you by. Take the fastest, cheapest schooling possible to get a job and use that otherwise all your skills and gifts are pointless.

If I could go back to High school to talk to myself it would be thrilling knowing I had another chance to go to a university and not go to a junior college. As of now I would say to myself that apply as to many schools as possible and learn as much as possible. But the most important is to enjoy and have pride at the school your in. It may not be just as if it was high school considering its a college but try and go out for sports and interact with everyone and socialize and enjoy. College is about experience from classes to friends and learning about yourself to know what are your weaknesses to what you can over come to be in life. It may range with those but it shows you that you can do many things that the mind can offer. For example, "teachers wanting to teach to making new friends". All you have to do is try and do your best and thats all you can really hope for and know that you did try and that you wont have to look later back at life wondering why you didn't try.

I would say to make sure you study a lot on your classes and to have a study group. If you are too shy to be around people you can use flash cards or study with a brother/sister. Never give up on what you want to succeed in and always strive for the better to improve yourself that you can do it even though it may take step by step. College does go by so fast because of the schedule and just how much you've grown after high school and feeling more like an adult and more responsibilities. Get involved in school activities or take a class that will most interest you to keep you motivated on the career you would like to see yourself in two years or so after college. Meet new people everyday and learn different people from other cities or country's. Its nice to get to know the school and students at school to feel good about going to school to accomplish something. College is the fun part in life because its always good to have that education n achieve for the better.

As a freshman in college now, I have realized the big difference between college and high school. Some may say the difference is minimal, but to me, it was a huge change. If I were to go back to give myself advice as a high school senior, I'd tell myself not to give up. I'd also tell myself to apply to multiple colleges and try your best to get in them. College is a once in a lifetime opportunity and picking the best one is hard. But, I'd tell myself to visit more colleges and get a feel for the differences in them. I probably would advise myself to aim for the highest college and to stay focused while applying. I'd also inform myself to chose college classes wisely and even out the work loads among the semesters. College is a great experience and it takes a lot to transition from a high school senior on top of the school, to a freshman in college, back to the bottom.

If i could go back in time as a high school senior and tell myself anything i would tell myself to better prepare for college on all levels. Mentally, financially, and emotionally. My first semester wasn't easy because my high school didn't too much prepare for what college life was going to be like. Fighting for classes and the homework level was mentally and emotionally draining. I would also tell myself to prepare financially for college. I wish i would have contacted my financial aid office at the school more before school started then after. It would have prevented my parents from having to pay my first semester in school. I would also tell myself to relax more and understand that everything good doesn't come without a struggle. So work hard and understand that just because times are hard in the beginning it doesn't mean it'll always be hard.