Oakland Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oakland Community College

Adelaida

Oakland Community College is the best option for MTA transfers and for Associate's Degrees. The counselors are great at helping you guide in the right direction in terms of academics. Their tutoring services are life saviors and not to mention free. It is a great and money-saving community college.

Kaylee

The Auburn Hills campus is easy to get around. There's a decent amount of parking around the buildings. Most of the professors are great, and some of them are brought in from other colleges/universities. Some of the more difficult classes have a supplemental instructor assigned to them.

Cameron

Usually pretty cool people and teacher's there's always some to talk to or someone new to meet. There are people to always help out if your confused on hw wether its another student or a tutor. The classes are relatively small so it help transitions you into a college setting but the hw is a bit much but its college.

Therrian

its a good school to receive education and friends.

Abigail

In our society, so many students feel pressured to attend a 4-year university immediately following their high school graduation. However, Oakland Community College shouldn't be overlooked. OCC offers three oustanding benefits to students: affordability, opportunities, and resources. Oakland Community College's two-semester tuition is approximately $11,000 less than 4-year institutions in the area. Parking is free, and students can live at home. Or, alternatively, students could choose to live in their own apartment, paid for with the money saved on tuition, not to mention room and board. Oakland Community College also offers an abundance of opportunities for students. From volunteer fairs, to student life, to a career-counseling center, there is something for every student, regardless of their academic goals. OCC also hires many students on campus, including work-study and student assistants. In addition, there are countless leadership opportunities available. Interested in teaching as a career? Apply for a job as a supplemental instruction leader or tutor! Want to help new students navigate the campus and work at student life events? Apply to become a student ambassador! Oakland Community College offers unbeatable resources to students. A kind counseling staff assists students with choosing their major and classes. The academic support center offers free tutoring in almost all subject areas. At the library, there's always someone waiting to assist you with that 12-page research paper. When I began at OCC, I couldn't have predicted how much it would push me to become a better student. Now, I'm on the board of multiple student organizations and work two jobs on-campus. Oakland Community College has helped me grow as a leader and better prepared me for my future, and I hope more students choose OCC, so they, too, can reach their full potential.

Nikitha

Great community college

Vanessa

The campus has a great student life and nice areas for studying. The buildings are also a nice distance. The professors that I have are all very caring. One professor in particular is very unorganized and their mistakes often impact the class and the curriculum.

Jordan

This year is my first year in college, and what I think of Community College is that it’s pretty good so far. I just finished my first semester, and this is just the beginning of me being a college student. I really can’t give my overall view about this school because I just started, and I didn’t get a chance to see full experience. OC College is not just one big campus, it splits into several different campuses across OC County. I currently attend the Central and the South Campus. Both campuses are also large for a community college. When I first started at Broward College, it was very diverse, and I’ve seen many people. So far, it’s a very good school and so far, I didn’t really have no problem with anybody during my first semester of college. All my classes are pretty good, I’ve passed all of them. The professors are nice and easy, but very strict about work. I mean, I can’t really say nothing bad because this is my first year and I just can’t give out a good or bad review. I still have a long way to go and this just the beginning. I know as I continue into my second semester, it’s not going to be easy. This first semester was just a start for me and to get myself together. But right now, this is just only the beginning and I still have a lot to learn but, so far everything is going very good.

Sabrina

There are many different campuses to choose from. The counselors really know what they are doing and can point you in the right direction. The food there is good and easy to get. The classes are smaller so it is easy to get help from the professors and they are very nice!

Kelle

Oakland Community College is a great college to attend if you're starting out your career and you need a less expensive option. I love OCC, because it has a wide range of careers available to dig your hands into even if you're unsure what it is you would like to do. Fresh out of high school I pursued a associates degree in Graphic Arts, however through attending some of the electives that were present such as World Religions and Marketing my passion for the business world began to sore. The school is safe and overall decent. The counselor's are always there to help. I just wish it had more intern programs and a wider library.

Kathryn

This community college is one of the best. I have talked with an know people personally who have gone to other Community Colleges as well as OCC and most, if not all have said they prefer it much more. The staff is always available to help and tries to, to the best of their ability. There are many chances to get involved with student activities and everyone on campus is very friendly and welcoming.

Haddy

It is an amazing community college. They have amazon SI and tutors that are there to help you pass all your classes. The teachers are always in their office hours ready to help you. There are sororitys and fraternity’s you can join. There are study groups you can join. You can be a student ambassador. There are many ways OCC helps you succeed in all your classes and I am grateful for that.

graeme

Oakland Community College is a great school to start your experience in the college world. Though you do miss out on some aspects of a 4 year university for 2 years till you transfer its a great school. Not to mention you save a boatload of money with $85 a credit hour.

Riley

OCC is the place to go for those looking to save money. It gives students the opportunity to receive education and pursue an associates degree of numerous fields of study. I felt safe on the OCC campus most of the time, except when I was driving because no one goes the speed limit. The food overall is relatively good, but can be a little pricey. It;s not always a bad idea to drive to the closest McDonald's instead. OCC Auburn Hills Campus is at a great location with lots of off campus things to do. It's a good place to finish your gen eds before you take classes geared toward your area of interest.

Cameron

Being at the school for my first semester, I have honestly enjoyed myself here and have enjoyed being among the people here. The faculty, the students, and environment itself brings me peace and the ability to be able to learn while being able to venture out and learn more about the community through outside activities.

Oakland Community College is the perfect college when it comes to the connection between professors and students. Since it is a community college, the class sizes are smaller which aids in the fact that the relationship between the professor and students tend to be a lot better. Because of this students don't feel nervous when asking questions or getting the help they need because they already have a somewhat casual relationship with the professor. The campuses are extremely nice and convenient in most ways, and they include all areas of study. OCC focuses on the students and wants what is best for them!

Cheyenne

Its a good place to get your gen eds done, most of the time people are just there to get their work done the environment is not overly social. There are many incredible professors and they work with you to make sure you do well in their classes and all the class sizes are around 20 people.

Allison

Oakton Community College is a great place to start your college career. It is especially good for students like myself who did not know what major I was going to pursue when I left high school. The class sizes are small, the professor are engaging and the price is very reasonable.

Devin

Oakland Community College provides many students with exceptional opportunities. These include their variety of Student Life activities such as Phi Theta Kappa and Student Ambassador but also many other activities. Many students gather at the many discussion tables to either have a group study or to just hang out and eat.

Samaiyah

I loved my professor and my classes. Classes were pretty small compared to a university which I liked. We were able to meet with our professors whenever we needed help. We have free tutoring on campus. The college is in downtown royal oak so you have many businesses around you.

Tabitha

The teachers within these program need to learn to teach and not stand and read PowerPoint and when you ask questions tell you , you should know the answers!!!! that’s a cop out or they don’t know the answers. I would think they would want us to look stupid in class, not going to clinicals and make them look like they aren’t teaching the needed material.

Olivia

I believe OCC has a lot to offer for being a community college, I have only been attending for a few months and I have enjoyed it. The only thing I have disliked was the scheduling process but it may be the same at other schools. Although I really enjoy the common area to grab a snack and get some work done.

OCC is a great school and I would recommend it to anyone. All of the faculty have been extremely helpful and, as a 2-year school, are always willing to help you prepare to transfer to a 4-year school with the right tools and credits. It will also save you a ton of money. The campuses are spread out, so a big area of SE Michigan can access it.

Jesika

OCC provides the best environment for learning and for you to succeed later in life. The college offers plenty of clubs to its students and features campuses all over southeast Michigan for the convenience of its students. When it comes to sports on the other hand the facilities are lacking and there isn't enough funding. The professors though, if you happen to search and get the highly recommended ones, are phenomenal. They keep you engrossed with the content, they are attentive to your needs, and they set you up for a four year institution. Oakland Community College provides a cheap and excellent education at a price range much more affordable and easier on the average college student. It's a place that allows someone like me to thrive and learn no matter my financial situation.

Anastasia

Oakland Community College is a great school to go to if you were to just take classes for a specific degree and transfer to a 4 year University. Its a great place to start your college path because its a lot cheaper than a university, and you are able to take classes that you can transfer to your 4 year University of choice. There are some things that this school can improve on. One, they need to do better in choosing good and fun teachers for all subjects, so all students can have the opportunity to have a good teacher and not a strict one. Two, they need to improve on how they clean the women's bathroom. Every time I go in there, there is always water leaking everywhere, and there are writing on the walls and the bathroom stalls. Lastly, they need to get more SI tutors so all students are able to do good in all of their classes. Not just one or two of them.

I am currently at OCC taking my prerequisites for nursing. OCC has several campuses. I am a student at Orchard Ridge and Southfield. There is no housing which is expected as we are a small commuter community college. I am currently taking science courses at OCC. There is free parking unlike at Universities which is a plus. There are vending machines and coffee machines for those who need it. Class sizes are smaller. A con is that only one microbiology class was offered at each campus. A lot of times there aren't many options for students.

Jurgen

The word community vividly stands out to those familiar with Oakland Community College for a reason. This college feels small but it is one of the largest community colleges in Michigan. There is room for all ages, interests, hobbies, sports and more which is why OCC is an exceptional institution.

Madeline

I love OCC. I think its the best for students who have to pay for college on their own. Its very affordable. Professors care about their students and their success. The campus is well kept and safe. All of my professors are available for help. Courses provide SI's for additional help and free tutoring!

Kendra

This is the first college I have attended so I do not have much to compare it to, but overall the professors are very helpful and friendly and I really enjoyed the people I met. The class sizes are small so you have a lot of opportunities to ask your professors questions and meet with them outside of class.

I thought I would hate it, but the Auburn Hills campus at least is fantastic for a community college! Most of the buildings are connected, so that makes walking on opposite ends of campus in the winter a breeze! There are lots of places to hang out and study between classes, and most of the professors are really nice!

Jenny

great school to start off at, saves you a lot of money. the teachers are really easy to talk to, reasonable office hours. they provide free tutoring almost everyday on subjects like science or math which is very helpful. the class sizes are not too big and range to about 20-30 students.

Ariana

Oakland Community College was my first college of choice when pursuing higher education after graduating from high school. I was given the privilege of taking college courses during my sophomore year of high school, I chose to Oakland Community College for my dual enrollment institution solely based off the reviews of my peers, family, and official website reviews. I did not know much about the institution besides the recommendation and opinions of others, however, I was not disappointed I love my institution. The class sizes are perfect, professors are enthusiastic and eager to answer questions when necessary. Not only do they answer all of my questions, but they are also available after class and they make sure you have all of the knowledge you need to understand the material and pass the course with flying colors. The layout of my campus is brilliant, the vast majority of the buildings are connected which is great for the winter, especially in Michigan. The website is very well crafted and easy to use. In addition to the previously mentioned, the staff is very well mannered in each department and they make sure you have all of the resources you need to succeed.

Martina

I really Love OCC, I am an international student and while I think there should be more in place for us, I do appreciate the school. I love the ease of access and how helpful the counsellors are. There can be some improvements but it is a pass for me.

Abigail

It's a community college, so it has the bare minimum of most things. The class selection is not very good for International Studies and Economics. Some campuses have hardly any useful classes so a student may have to commute up to an hour depending on their schedule. There are good disability accommodations. You must look up your professors on rate my professors before taking a class, or you can easily get a tenured old guy teaching a night class in their free time. The main campus right now is kind of Orchard Ridge, but they are trying to make Auburn Hills the main campus, so they have most of the good classes and updated facilities.

Mia

Oakland Community College has given me a great experience. Right when I graduated college, I was going to attend Western Michigan University but over the summer changed my mind for a more money conscious choice. I was pretty bummed about not being able to experience a true "college lifestyle" but I am so incredibly grateful for the overall experience that I have gotten from OCC. Like any schools, there are some bad teachers but the good teachers at OCC are GOOD teachers. The faculty cares so much about their students and improving their skills to go onto the next level of education. The counselors at OCC are incredible and always make you feel like you are going to figure things out. I would 100% recommend someone going to OCC before going to any other 4 year university.