Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

Meredith

The students who come here are different individuals who either wish to become serious musicians, serious arts and sciences students, aware of their blossoming unique identities and sexualities, or party: i.e. Oberlin students are like students at any other school, but with the addition of a more liberal atmosphere and high quality conservatory on campus.

I would advise parents and students to research fully and VISIT the schools that interest the student. While virtual tours are helpful, one can experience a completely different atmosphere than expected/portrayed in photos on school websites. I found in my own journey of applying for schools, that although I applied for nine, only two felt right, and really only one felt like home. Take the time, contact the teachers. Email goes a long way. In some instances professors helped me to get through application hurdles. Be thorough, and go with your heart and your gut. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right. You will know when you get there.

A person needing large numbers of students or city/city-like surroundings should choose a different school, unless the person would be okay with the 30 minute ride to Cleveland.

Olivia
Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

OC Women's volleyball vs. Hiram. As a side note, it looks like I am way lacking in the sleep department.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

What's your favorite sporting event at Oberlin?

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Intro to the OC women's soccer game against Hiram. Teams are warming up.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Again, what's it like being an athlete at Oberlin?

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The start to the women's race. Joanna Johnson, already out front, is OCXC's star runner.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Coach Ray's pep talk to the women's xc team before the race. Wow, xc really is getting a lot of coverage... :)

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Song and dance answer to the question, "What's it like being an athlete at Oberlin?"

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

"Yeah Justin, go Connor, yeah Ben, go Ryan, keep it up guys!"

My introduction to the GLCA Conference Championship cross country meet

Erica

After taking my first freshman steps at a college that was not my first choice, I began to realize that a person has the ability to lay their roots anywhere and grow strong. Your college will be both your sculptor and your clay so wherever you find yourself, and whatever led you there, leave your unique footprint as often as you can and you will be able to accomplish anything. You will most likely go to college convinced you can solve all the world?s problems and your own. The latter alone is much harder than expected. It took months of saying, ?Next week, I won?t: lose sleep, eat cake for breakfast, miss a class, forget to call home? before I realized what a hole I was in. But the moment I stopped torturing myself and admitted defeat, there were helpful people crawling out of the woodwork. It is definitely a mistake not to draw from the resources around you. College is a transition, a time when to succeed is to be independent and codependent.

David Arnow

You're probably reading this because you're thinking of where to college, so realize that I graduated in 1973 which means I'm probably older than your parents. But I've kept in touch with the school, and fellow Obies, and one of my kids went there and I know what I'm talking about. Oberlin was founded by this guy named Charles Finney who was this super-religious holy roller evangelist. Today he would be a TV-preacher in a megachurch. The only thing is, back then these super religious guys tended to be LEFTISTs: abolitionist, womens-rights, labor-friendly, anti-booze, remake-the-world fanatics. So he figured that if he and his friends founded an integrated, co-educational college in a swamp in the middle of nowhere they could create a college of hard-working, justice-obsessed students who would spearhead the drive to remake the world. And weirdly he was right. Lots of Obies have no idea who he was except that there's a building named after him, but I've never met an Obie that didn't have a piece of Finney in them. The main thing about Oberlin that differs from Finney's vision is "fun". Obies do have fun. Then again, their idea of fun is forming a group to solve a problem by studying it first and then maybe even taking action. Hermiones on steroids.

I'm going to pass on this section. I know what I'm talking about in the other sections, because I've kept up quite carefully on that stuff. I've read UNIGO's summary and the things that other reviewers have written and it rings true for what was 35 years ago and in terms of my encounters with more recent Obies so you can probably go by all that.

Go with the reviews from students. Oberlin is a very distinct clear place. People are not going to have terribly different interpretations. I went there for the music, the chemistry (social and the major), the anti-frat culture, the political activism, the non-alcoholic recreational drugs, the academic seriousness. It's just me, but if I had to do it over today, that's exactly where I'd go.

The stereotype is a joke and has undergone little change in 40 years but there is truth in a joke. Just don't be surprised to discover it disproved in some way in every person you meet at Oberlin. Except in the case of Rachel. She is the one granola-munching, showerless vegan in Oberlin who ... just kidding. And be prepared for the occasional massively politically incorrect College Republican type.

This is for SCIENCE majors 'cause that's what I know about. The Oberlin faculty is unbelievably dedicated to their students. You WILL look forward to their classes. You WILL go to their office hours. You WILL have dinner with them, have a beer (shh, don't tell Finney) with them. There is a certain east-coast competitor to Oberlin that proudly boasts that it has more NSF science grants than any other liberal arts college. Big deal. That means that the faculty are into grant-getting and their own research. In every field in science, Oberlin blows away all the other elite 4-yr liberal arts colleges in the number of alums who go on to get PhDs. Why is this? Because faculty pay incredible attention to what they teach, how they teach, to helping you out in lab, to schmoozing with you about science, to bringing you on to their research projects and making you a part of it. Let me tell you how good the faculty is: I became a professor myself (at Brooklyn College) and my ideal, the kind of professor I strive to be is based on my teachers at Oberlin. They are the model. They are the gold standard.

Obie== granola munching, vegan who showers just once a week to save the planet, and obsesses, OBSESSES about the political-moral implications of every action, and whose idea of a date is to work together on a problem set or reading assignment, with or without recreational drugs

The following things were true in 1973 and are true today, so this is deep in the Oberlin DNA: ethanol is NOT the recreational drug of choice by far// Greek is a submajor in Classics and not a social concept// off-campus activities? don't make me laugh, you're up at 2am? you're studying OR playing some stupid boardgame with friends and eating sugary cereal OR at a party at a one of the coops OR (and this is cliche but it's true) painting messages on the rocks. Sometimes FB is just not enough.

Gwendolyn

Oberlin is a utopia of learning, art, and friendship; people here forge lifelong relationship, discover who they are and why they were put on this earth, and study a varied and wonderful set of skills, ideas, people, and things.

A Republican, closed-minded, practically-minded, homophobic, non-environmentally conscious moron would certainly stick out at this school.

I chose my school based, in large part, on my instinct: driving into a small town, breathing the air and falling in love with that place. In the end, I would not change my choice if I had to pick a thousand more times. Of course, there were other factors - what it was that I wanted to study, the political climate on campus, the wonderful and inspiring academics - but in the end, what is important is that sense of rightness that I felt immediately upon visiting. Pick the school that you know, on the deepest level, is right; and when you get there, delve into as many and as opposing fields as possible. This is the time to follow whims, learn impossibly fascinating things, and to find yourself. Enjoy it.

Carrie

Being very liberal, environmentally freindly, musical, welcoming and tolerant, a safe haven for people identifying with the Queer Spectrum

Parents, let your children go, for they are NOT children anymore. Fellow students, do not let someone other than yourself dictate who you know yourself to be. That being said, parents can have some very useful advice. You should listen to them these last few years before you make the leap to college, for it changes a person. Wether your college is 3,000 miles away or 5 minutes down the street, a private 4-year or a community college doesn't matter. You're no longer being forced into an education, but are rather seeking one out of your own accord, learning to make your own decisions, in the hopes of one day being truely independent. We know it's hard for parents to understand, but we'll be alright, as long as parents try and let us find ourselves, in the ways which we choose. Fellow students, appreciate what your parents are going through. Just when you need to run free, they need a sign of assurance that you will always come back. So give 'em a call every once in a while, to let them know how much you love them for letting you be you.

It's in Ohio. I'm from the Bay Area, north of San Francisco, so I'm used to hills and SUN. But I love my school enough to give it up for 8 months out of the year.

Anonymous

Oberlin is super awkward in an awesome way.

Oberlin is super awkward in an awesome way.

There's silly competition between the Conservatory and College.

Arielle

My classmates are smart, slightly neurotic, and moderatley judgemental.

My classmates are smart, slightly neurotic, and moderatley judgemental.

As with any potentially life-altering choice, the college you attend changes you to the extent and in the manner that you allow it too. In choosing where to spend these four formative years, a certain degree of personal preference necessarily comes into play; whether you prefer rural or urban setting, what degree of freedom you want in designing your major, the social environment you want to be immersed in. For me these chioces were easy to make; they were definitions that narrowed the scope of possibility from infinity to finite, and were unsurprising given my upbringing and biological material. What becomes important now, and what is really more difficult, is to expand into the place that you are, in plain words to make the most of any situation. College is an incredible crucible of ideas and thoughtful fertility, just by merit of the number of young people living in such close proximity to each other, and the one who taps into that vast diversity of new thoughts, and further uses the material to create, create, create will have made the most of college.

Anyone who is not interested in really learning and thinking will be out of place at Oberlin. The people who attend this school want to talk about what inspires them.

Mieko

It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, so it's tough to get out of the town, and you can feel trapped sometimes. There's a lot to do here, but sometimes you just want a bit of city life, you know?

I wish I would have known how much the tuition was going to cost- it's not cheap, but what school isn't now days? Also, the weather can get pretty bad sometimes.

My advice for students would be to take a look good look at yourself and what you want out of your college experience. Don't go to a college just because it's famous, or far away, or because your parents went there. Choose the school you want, and if you work hard you can get there. Also, when it comes to aid (financial or otherwise)- SEARCH EVERYWHERE. I know everyone says this, but seriously, help is hiding around every corner, and for many people (myself included) they are the way you will be able to succeed at the school that's right for you. My most important piece of advice for students is: Be Yourself. College can be very hard on people, and if you aren't true to yourself you can get lost easily. But if you remember who you are you can open up to people, make smart choices, and stretch your boundaries comfortably. Most importantly, you can have fun if you are yourself because you will be hanging out with people YOU like and doing something YOU enjoy. That is the way to make the most out of your college experience. Good luck!!!

Jordan

It is one of the most liberal and accepting schools in the US today, and it was exactly what I was looking for. It's the school full of all the people that like to be themselves, so that those who were rejected in highschool end up here and now are accepted, with the common point of the initial rejection.

Although it is indeed as liberal as it comes, the school isn't the most diverse place out there, it is mainly middle, uppermiddle class white kids. (Who are of course very accepting of difference, it makes us who we are)

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.