Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

Like I said before, the hipster scene is annoying, and you don't get ostracized as much as you'd imagine for being a "jock." There are Republican clubs and activities. Religiously, it's predominately Jewish. Coming out in Oberlin is probably a let-down... half the campus is gay or bi anyway, ("I'm gggaaayyyyy!" "Welcome to Oberlin.")

Everyone cares about being politically correct about everything listed. If you were popular and fit in at high school, you will not fit in at Oberlin. If you are not brilliant or a virtuosic musician you will not fit in. Everyone is rich, but pretends that they are not, because people do not want to be in a rich steryotype

I was impressed by how often you could pick out Obies outside of campus by the frequency of their use of the words "literally", "xenophobia", "heteronormal", and "juxtaposition". I am so tired of most Oberlin students. But, some Obies are my favorite people in the whole world. LEFT of center, good god.

NYC, Philedelphia. Rich white people a lot of times. often pollitically aware, lots of talk, not always much action, pretty inundated with info so often paralyzed and uninvolved. no, people do not boast about making money, unless they are confident about their inability to care about other better things.

There is a wide variety of students at Oberlin, with a truly large spectrum of cities, countries, backgrounds, races, religions, sexual orientations and genders. Everyone has their own style and their own ideas. The only people that feel uncomfortable at Oberlin are the conservatives.

so far left we went past right and back to left again? that may not actually be true. but it's at least partially true. still, we could do with some more tie-dye. THOUGH when it's nice out a lot of people don't wear shoes. and we have an awesome circus.

Ma'ayan and Aries made a video about a day in the life of an Oberlin student. The film goes from breakfast at the Black River Cafe, class, practicing in the Conservatory, research with the Neuroscience Department and studying in the library.

We have everything, but that does not necessarily mean we are thoroughly diverse. There are some social, and racial communities that lack numbers but always have representation at Oberlin. Keep in mind we are a small college.

The most prevalent socio-economical class of students is rich white students. These students damn their own economic status, and help (at least attempt to on the surface) those 'less fortunate' than themselves.

Kids here are way too focused on fighting oppression. Lots of rich kids here. A lot of people say there's a lot of class discrimination here. I'm not sure I agree, as a fairly poor student.