Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

If you're a frat boy or a sorority girl, leave now. We dont have any frats or sororities. If you love to party, ehhhh, I'd try somewhere else. We have some, but, not enough to destroy you. Everyone at Oberlin is politically left. Sadly, Oberlin has started to become dominated by upper-middle class white kids who can afford the tuition. That's not to say we aren't diverse. We have people from all parts of the world and try to maintain that at all times!

I am in the music conservatory which is vastly different from the college. Most of the college students came to Oberlin for the liberal campus; therefore, there is a lot of activism throughout. The students in the conservatory came for the music program, not the politically charged campus, and act a bit differently. I would say that most of the conservatory students are liberal, but tend to follow a less radical form of liberalism.

Oberlin students think they are very liberal, but at times have difficulty accepting differences- especially political and social. Oberlin is a school of rejects, in that in high school, the students were often outcasts and misfits, but Oberlin gives them a chance to feel like a part of a group. As a result, some Obies are unwilling to accept fellow classmates who remind them of people with whom they went to high school.

People are SO PC IT HURTS SOMETIMES. on the other hand, people here will accept you for anything weird you want to do. Most people here are either economically well off or pretty poor, but either way most people aren't pretentious about it. In fact, i don't really know how wealthy my friends here are, with the exception of people i've visited on breaks and stuff.

The students who come here are different individuals who either wish to become serious musicians, serious arts and sciences students, aware of their blossoming unique identities and sexualities, or party: i.e. Oberlin students are like students at any other school, but with the addition of a more liberal atmosphere and high quality conservatory on campus.

For a small liberal arts school we've got great socio-economic, racial, and ideological diversity. People uncomfortable with unexpected nudity or bizarre social behaviors might feel uncomfortable here. Many here are from the east coast, but we've got a wide aray. We are politically aware, active, and leftist/libertarian/socialist.

Great people. Open minded. Probably some of the most open minded people in this country. Come from all backgrounds socially, but it is indeed a mostly white school. People care about politics, care about the enviroment, and really care about learning so they can fix up politics and the enviroment. its cool.

Republicans and very conservative people would feel out of place at oberlin. They could still find a niche, everyone can, but it would be tougher. Anyone else in a "minority" would probably feel right at home, people joke it can be a school of "misfits" or people who don't fit the mold.

republicans may feel out of place. most students come from new york city, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Chicago.

There are a lot of white people. The majority of kids are from white suburbs in the east or west coast.