Oregon Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Oregon Institute of Technology

Theres a few things to consider when deciding on which college to attend: First, do you know what degree or field of work you want to go into? If not, you may want to attend cheaper community colleges and and explore different fields of study - this is a great opportunity to complete your basic requirement courses like math and writing while getting a feel for the college environment. Community college are also usually well connected with universities and are a great place to find information on programs and other fields of study. Another question to ask yourself is what kind of social environment do you prefer? Some colleges are more known for their 'college party experience' aspects while others have a more serious environment. Extremes of each are rare and every college has its own variation of educational attitude. Average class size and professor outlook is also key to look at. It's important to consider social environment because it plays a large role in how well you will learn and how best you learn. One last thing to consider is how well can they help you get into a career? Some colleges are more connected to businesses than others.

As a senior in high school I was in the accelerated program at my junior college taking eleven units per semester. Homeschooling allowed me to begin that program at age fourteen and to be educated in a unique and exciting way. It gave me freedom to pursue goals and extracurricular activities that otherwise would not have been possible. The advice I would give myself now would be, ?Move faster, focus more, and accomplish more academically since you had that opportunity.? Attaining an AA degree, and AS degree and a pharmacy tech license were all valid achievements but it is only now, at age 23, that I finally have definite direction. I would tell myself to buckle down and discover what my true goal and passion was for the future. After working in two hospitals, while still taking various classes, I have decided to specialize in ultra-sound (sonography), and get a BS degree in that field. It took a year to figure out where and how to obtain this. My hospital finally referred me to OIT (Oregon Institute of Technology) where I have been accepted. The obstacle now is financing the dream that I wish was discovered sooner!

As both a current non-traditional student and parent of a teenager about to enter college, I have done quite a bit of preparation and research into colleges. I believe it is of great importance to know your student/self. The student needs to evaluate what their goals, strengths and weaknesses, and comfort zones are. Once the student understands these, they should search for the college that best suits their educational goals along with the environment they would be most comfortable to develop in. The college experience is one that will test your abilities, stretch your knowledge, and provide many alternative learning experiences; all of which will allow you to grow and develop into a well rounded adult. However, there can be many distractions and temptations on a students first experience away from home. It is important they know themselves and how they will react in such situations, so as not to stray from their initial goals. While majors may change, college should be a unique experience where friendship and knowledge are gained on a students pathway to a successful and fulfulling career.

My college experience has began to prepare me for my career in ways I did not see imaginable. Since just the beginning of this school year I have seen myself grow immensely. I have become much more responsible, organized, and efficient with my time. I have also learned the key to being successful in college, stress management. My program is very intense and competitive and each week you must be at your best in order to continue so I have become adept at performing to the best of my abilities in any situation. I have also become a much more self-confident and outgoing person through my experiences in college. Speech class got me over my fear of speaking in public while completing challenging class after challenging class has given me tremendous confidence in my abilities as a student and as a person. I know that by the time I graduate I will be much different than I am today; however, that is a change which I am extremely excited to see and experience. College will mold me into the person I wish to be for both my career and the rest of my life.

Making the right decision is the most importand in college, so find a school that based on what's importand to you. Once you step out of the line, you fail, so no different to everyone. Every step of my path, I have to choose and think very carefully. Graduating from highschool was the day I felt very proud of myself because I knew what I want to be and what I need to do for my future. You need the variety and depth of college coursework to determine your interest and aptitude. First of all, try to build in time to sit in on classes and no skipping will help you not getting lost and staying on track. Feel free to ask your friends and highschool's counsellor for advising. You need to examine yourself and your reasons for going to college before you start your search. What is the point to go to college? What are your abilities and strengths? What are your weaknesses? The more time you spend researching the college you're interested in, the more comfortable you will be with your end decision. Be yourself at every phase of the college. Good luck.

I would recommend making a list of careers that your interested in and check various schools to see whether they are offered or not. After you narrow down your choices you should visit each of the remaining schools. Each school has a different atmosphere so make sure the college you choose works for your personality. When you finally get to college make sure you live in the dorms for at least the first year. Most college dorms have programs that help students meet and get to know one another, which helps enormously when you move away from home for the first time. Stay involved on campus but also make sure to keep up on your studies. It is almost a guarantee that at some point you will be overwhelmed with schoolwork, but if you try your best to do work ahead of time and stay organized you will get through the rough parts of school. When it comes time for exams/finals try not to cram. Look at the material and your notes a few days prior and/or study in groups. I would also recommend knowing your specific learning style before going to college.

You must decide right this second what you want to for the rest of your life. Hurry up! What school will you attend? Don?t you know yet? What program will you apply to? Make a decision! How much will it cost and how will you pay for it? Figure it out! These are the overwhelming feelings and questions that we are bombarded with when trying to choose a college to attend. Take a deep breath and make a list of the top ten qualities and necessities you wish of a college. It is not required that you know what you want your future career to be, but if you do, it can help immensely in narrowing colleges that will be perfect for you. Do not feel bad if you end up changing your mind about what you want to do. It is completely natural to feel out what you like and dislike. In the end it makes you a stronger person who knows more about yourself then when you started and that is something that should not be regretted. Always remember that a college education is a privilege, so take advantage of it!

In my experience, I would say to let the student pick the campus that is right for them. I have been to a college where I felt out of place, being in such a big school, and when transferring, my parents denied me access to the family financial aid. They wanted me to go to a large University and get a degree where they felt I would have the most options in. However, this college was not the best fit for me, so I transferred. When I have my children, I will let them pick the college that is right for them and I will support them in whatever they choose to be. My parents didn't support my decision to study Biology and Pre-Med at such a small school, and in doing so, they hurt my feelings and made it harder to leave home. But I am going out to study what makes me happy, and that is biology. Go to a college where it feels like a home away from home. There, you will enjoy your years and get the most out of college, rather than just surviving the four years until graduation.

I believe OIT is the best college located in Oregon and well known for its highest success rate of job placement after graduation. I would suggest to parents to visit the college, talk to current students and explore the opportunities your child would have by attending OIT. This college is one that can really help make a difference in ones life. However, you get out of it what you put in to it. I believe you have to be dedicated and self disciplined to succeed at OIT. You can find support among students, instructors, and tutors but you have to be willing to put forth the time and effort to get the extra help. I highly recommend you have a major selected when you apply for college. Having a plan and personal goals will help you through the tough times of college. You will also want to confirm your goals by interviewing people in your future career field. I believe you will succeed at OIT if you have defined goals with an ambitious attitude.

The best advice I can give you is nose to the grindstone. You quickly learn that the teachers in college have less invested in your education than your high school teachers. You will have professors say "You pay to be here, take it or leave it". Get into the book store for your books as soon as possible because it turns into a madhouse the closer it gets to the semester starting. Get your homework done as soon as its assigned because more often than not, the next class will have twice as much homework. Enjoy the days you can sit in a quiet library and day dream. Enjoy the people watching in the cafeteria. Enjoy this experience for what it is - another growing life change. You will be amazed at how quickly your transistion from teenager-without-a-care to adult-with-everything-in-order is. Life is short. Visit your Mom and Dad. Read the books. Do the work. And lastly walk to your diploma- becasue THAT my friend is the best feeling ever. Good Luck!