Point Park University Top Questions

Maggie

I would start by saying that the transition to college is not exactly hard, it is just something you have to get used to. I should have told my senior self to take another AP class, getting those credits before college is a great way to get ahead of the game. Stay calm and enjoy the ride. High school and college are some of the most carefree and fun times in my life.

I knew I wanted to be a filmaker for a very long time but I never realized the journey I would take on the way. If I could talk to my high school self I would tell him to go to college and be himself. For a long time I tried to follow the path of everyone else to be successful. I thought there was only one clear way of making it in the industry. I found myself making films that I did not even like myself because I was too busy trying to please everyone else. I think to be sucessful in this film industry you must first inspire and please yourelf, you need to make films you would want to watch, and not worry about everyone else. If you do that, then success will follow. You see there is a diffrence between success and achievement. Success doesn't just come out of the blue. You must first reach achievement by trying your best and the success will soon come. I wish I would of known that from the start so that would be the advice I would give my highschool self.

Ashley's Advice to High School Seniors: 1. Don't worry. You WILL find your group of friends. It might take some time, but they're there and they will become your lifetime friends. But if you can't find them, then: 2. Say YES! Maybe not to everything, but you will never find those lifelong friends, or discover that awesome coffee shop, or find your favorite new pizza place without stepping outside your comfort zone and saying YES to new opportunities. With that, don't forget to: 3. Try new things. One of my biggest regrets is not studying abroad while in college. If you have an interest: go for it. Seriously. 4. Go to class. Do your homework. College is a huge investment of your money, of course, but by enrolling in college you are investing IN YOURSELF. Don't waste that! Above all else, please don't forget to: 5. HAVE FUN. Whether this is by watching movies with your roommate, finding the best parties on campus, or joining a Qudditch team (yes, these exist!!), college is the perfect time to grow as a person and learn so much about who you are. Good luck!

Emanuel

Hey 19 year old Emanuel. It’s me, 24 year old future Emanuel. High school is almost over and college is around the corner. It’s a very weird transition, but it’s also an exciting one too. There are just a few things I would like to share with you before you get there. When you come back home you’re not going to be the same person you were when you left. People will call if you if they want to keep the friendship. You’ll have disagreements with your parents about your life decisions, can you try listen to them and hear them out, seriously. As far academics is concern; don’t buy books, scan books and get a library card because it saves money. Doing work when no one else is doing work is the time to do work, meaning a grade is not the rest of your life; it’s the skill that matters. The work is simple, but it’s not easy. Finally, remember that you can succeed in anything in school with three D’s and an A: Dedication, Determination, Discipline and Appliance. Keep those in mind and you’ll get that degree.

I would tell myself to follow my dreams and not let anything sway my decisions. I entered college with a major I had no interest in because my true passion was performing and that did not seem practical. I now realize that this was a mistake and I am transfering in the Spring to finally persue my love of the theatre. While everything I've learned has helped me grow, college is too expensive to not be doing exactly what you want. I am excited to finally be doing what I love.

If I were to go back in time I would give myself some important college life advice. The number one piece of advice I would give is to choose a school that truly fits myself and my goals instead of focusing on what school everyone else may seem to be gravitating towards. I would tell myself to remember that I need to study and work hard becausse every class I attend is important towards graduating...not to mention worth a lot of my own money. I would encourage my high school self to attend a college where I felt at home. It sounds weird but in order to become involved and branch out in college it is important to feel comfortable. The most important thing to remember is that college is a big transition. Keeping an open mind is a big help but the most important thing to do is to give it time and soon you will begin to adapt and succeed.

To my high school self, I would just like to say, do not wait until the last minute to pack for move in! You'll regret it when all you want to do is sleep before the six hour car ride. Honestly though, the hardest thing about transitioning to college does not happen until the end of the semester. It is the realization that finals are alarmingly stressful to begin with and procrastinating as usual does NOT work. You end up crying and staying up all night every night for two weeks and then falling asleep in exams and annoying your roommates who did not procrastinate because your desk lamp needs to stay on so you can finish just a few more paragraphs in order to pass this class and then you can worry about the next class. Even though your professor might say that it is okay to turn in your assignments at the end of the semester, that does not mean that you should. A coffee maker might be a good investment though. All those Starbucks runs get expensive and as much as it may seem so, your flex dollars are not limitless. Proceed wisely and gain wisdom.

Breannna

If I could give my senior self advice, it would be to get more involved with sports/clubs/activities and take the SAT's more than once, and sign up for colleges and scholarships sooner. I would spend more time loving high school than hating it. I would make more friends than I did because i'll never see them again. I would embrace how easy high school life is compared to college. I would also have asked more questions and studied more.

If I had the ability to travel back in time to 1989 as a senior in high school, the advice I would give to myself as I was preparing to graduate is to no to be afraid to try new things and not be afraid to speak up. Do not be a follower but be a leader as a strong leader commands respect and the attention of others and a strong leader will get you many of places in the "real world" after school. It took me a long time to learn this (after college and several years in "the real world" to realize that you need to lead and not be lead.

Finish strong...you're almost there. Take your placement tests seriously. Appreciate your teachers and the education you received in high school that has prepared you for college. Apply for scholarships and take one or two classes that will give you college credit.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to live life. As I think back to being a high school senior, I worried way to much about getting into college and the SAT's . I know all the hard work of investigating into schools was worth the wait. I feel like I picked out the best school for me even though I worried so much about choosing the right school for myself. College is not like seen on TV and movies. College is great and very fun and enjoyable. Leave all the drama and high school friends back home, you will make great friends and its drama free. Do not go to school with a boyfriend! Worst decision. You will not enjoy any of college being held back and trying to please someone at a different college. But other than life choices that can not be decided until experience what happened. Just relax and enjoy the last couple months at this school, you will never see any of these old friends unless your back home. College is going to be the best days of your life. Don't look back.

Dane

I would tell my high school self to get involved, both in your school and in your community! In high school, I was shy and had low self esteem which made me afraid to participate in school activities. Looking back I am not sure why, but it seemed to me that everyone else understood "something" about life and interpersonal relationships that I was missing. I was afraid I was not smart enough or interesting enough to participate or be accepted. I am thankful that I forced myself out of my shell in college because my life has completely changed as a result. I have made some wonderful, talented friends and learned so much. I am much more confident in both my academics and in social situations. I began volunteering with Habitat for Humanity and a local environmental group. Working in the community has given me such a sense of connectedness to the place I live and a sense of responsibility to make it better. It has also helped me to make contacts within the school and the community for the future. I truly wish I had overcome my fears in high school, I would have enjoyed it so much more.

Bianca

Art and truth are subjective. There is never a definitive answer to everything. Just give it your all and hope that someone gets the message you are trying to get across The transition from high school to college-or Chicago to Pittsburgh-is a difficult one. If I could tell myself anything it would not be the cliché “be who you are”. I would tell myself to be who I WANT to be. College is about experiences outside of the classroom as much as it is in the classroom. Take chances, learn whatever you can whenever you can, and love your environment. Do not leave any experience without taking something with you. Mistakes are a part of life, make them while you still have time to correct them, and finally: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD eat! Food is as essential as getting to class on time, make enough time for both.

Carly

When I was applying for college programs I wanted to be accepted to a flashy and impresive school. I thought I had it all figured out and I thought that only the "right" school could get me where I want to go. If I could talk to 18 year old me right now, I would tell her not to worry because the place you end up is the place you were meant to be. Point Park will turn out to be everything you didnt know you needed in a school.

College is a great experience. It’s nothing to be scared of or nervous about. It’s worth all the work that you’ve done all through high school. Everything teachers have told you up to this point, like that they’re “preparing you for the future,” is correct. You’ll find yourself thinking of your eighth-grade English teacher’s crazy teaching methods, but realizing that you’re grateful for every harsh comment she gave you. You’ll learn time-management within the first month of college. You’ll learn that you need to go to class, even though your professors don’t take attendance. I know you think people are kind of annoying, and you’d rather keep to yourself. That is okay. However, it won’t take long for you to realize that people aren’t all that bad, and you need to be more outgoing. You'll meet the most interesting and diverse group of people, but they will become your best friends. You will love it here. You won’t miss high school at all. This probably will be the best four years of your life, and you should make the most of it.

Jeanne

If i were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would tell myself that it is extremely important to keep a good gpa up; to keep doing homework and involve myself in class work. i would also tell myself that it is important to keep good relationships with teachers and other factulty members instead of just going to class and making myself disappear in the corners of classrooms. about making the transition, i would tell myself to be more prepared and to not procrastinate when it came to preparing myself for my first year of college. I also should not have procrastinated when it came to applying for loans and grants, instead of waiting until the last minute when most of the applications were closed. with all of those in mind, if i would have done that, i would have been less stressed, and better prepared for college mentally.

The advice I would give myself would be to not take everything so seriosuly. In college, you have to balance your academic life and personal life. In order to fully enjoy college, I realized that I couldn't just sit in my room and do homework like I did in High School. I realized that the relationships I make with my peers and professors can be more valuable in the future than always focusing on studying one-hundred precent of the time. If I could go back to high school, I would of balanced school and my social life a little better, because in the end, what good is sucess if you have no one to share it with.

alicia

I would tell myself to do all your research on the colleges that seem to interest you. I would have liked to tell myself to look into more programs that provided help for disabled students. The help that I get now I could have use five years ago. I think these are just a few of the many things that make the top of my list in importance to know. I think the other thing though would have been know what you wanted to do when you first started college. Not that I didn't know, but I really should have done a little more research into the programs. Instead of following my gut I would tell myself to follow my heart and not let anything put me down. Thank you for listening.

Carly

I would tell myself that nothing is ever what you think it will be, especially not college. Already in two years I have had to face a lot of ups and downs. The biggest down for me was in my third semester when I was dianosed with Thyroid Cancer. It was in those months that I realized the importance of friends. It was because I found people close to me who helped lift me back up and continue on with my life that I was able to stay in school. Point Park is a true community were I was able to find amazing people both student and staff who helped me through a dark time. I would tell myself to never loose sight of the end goal. You are going to college for a reason and no matter the bumps you may hit along the way it is more important than ever to focuss on the goal. The goal is to graduate and be a stronger and better person who is and ready for the world.

Kacey

Try harder. Get a lot more active with the school even if you don't always agree with the system. Don't let anyone or the school environment discourage you from getting involved and having an impact. Listen to your parents and siblings. Its not hard to get good grades so just try your best and participate more because it will pay off and you will be happy that you did. Apply for as many scholarships as you can because your parents will not have the money to send you to college in the future like they did for your older brother and sister. Work as much as you can to save up because your going to need the money. Stay as focused as you can in school and doing what you love to do. Let go of any stress, worries or negative thinking because there is absolutely no point. Don't worry too much about your social life right now because your not going to be friends with most of these people anymore. You are a lot smarter than you think and can accomplish a lot more than you may believe. Stay positive and patient.

I would tell myself to try harder in everything becuase the effort pays off in the end. I would also tell myself to Chase your dreams even if they seem out of reach.

You must not expect that you are going to know exactly what you want to do with the rest of your life. There is so much emphasis on what you want to study in college but don't think you have to pick a major when you apply. In todays work force the average person is changing their career three times in their lifetime. I suggest instead of initially declaring a major, use your Freshman year to take a variety of classes in all different areas of study that sound interesting to you. For me these would be: Art classes, cooking, phsycology, cake decorating, women's studies, environmental studies, Fashion Design, Travel and forensic science. These are all topics in which I have interest but I never knew exactly what I wanted to pursue because I was never exposed to many of these in highschool. In the end take your time you have your whole life ahead of you to decide what you want to do to make you happy. Enjoy taking classes that interest you and you will find your true passion.

Brenda

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I need to go to college right now. It will be tough but it will be worth it. Trying to do it later in life with children and responsibilities, while it’s still rewarding, it’s also more challenging. I would tell myself to choose nursing, to take it seriously, and get good grades to maintain my GPA. I would say that it would be worth it in the long run and that college should be my first and utmost priority. I would tell myself to make better use of the high school counselor’s, scholarship searches and opportunities in front of me. I would advise myself to complete my 2 years at our community college for my RN and then transfer to a 4 year university to get my BSN.

Abby

I really enjoyed what I learned throughout my undergraduate, and now through the classes I'm taking at my local community college I'm getting the refresher I need to get into graduate school.

Since I was very young I knew that I want to be a nurse, although I did not realize how difficult it would be to accomplish my goal I am still very determined to finish school and get accepted into Nursing School. My college experience has taught me so much, it has taught me responsibility, self discipline, and ambition. I have learned to prioritize the important things over the fun things. Also, I believe it is very important to attend and finish college because college does nothing but good things for an individual. In the world we live in today nurses and doctors are in high demand and I want to finish school so I can help my community as much as i possibly can, because I am well aware that without a degree life will be much more difficult then it already is. College is difficult and exhausting but i'm sure it's very well worth it!

In high school, there was home, then school. In college, school is home. When I walked into what would be home for the next year, the first thing that caught my eye was my roommate Alyssa’s red and blue, “VOTE STRAIGHT DEMOCRAT” sign. From seeing that sign to seeing her motivating college students to vote, I knew that undecided was the wrong major for her. My days ended with my roommates and I helping each other figure out how our time was being spent, which made college feel a little like a self-help program. However, I learned that the concept of school emphasizes finding who you are and what’s important. As an acting major, we rehearse and memorize, but a pre-law student does a lot of reading; nevertheless, we both try to make a successful career tangible. College has taught me that, despite the differences in methods of learning, it is possible to work towards anything if you have passion. It took living with two very different people to help me realize that the old high school mentality has been traded for one that values initiative, direction, and purpose.

Marisol

I have gotten a lot from my college experience. In high school I wasn't into school at all what so ever and barley even got by my classes with a passing grade. I honestly wasn't planning on attending college but my aunt convinced me to attend. I've been so dedicated this first year of college and have very good grades. I never thought I could have all a's and I'm smarter than I thought. All the studying and going to class every single day counts. I've learned that if you put everything you have and try your hardest you can have the grades you want. Studying and doing your homework really helps and benefits you in the end because when test time comes you'll be familiar with the material. College has been valuable to attend because I started out not knowing anything and not very conifident, now that I'm done with my first semester I'm confident in all the work I do and know I'll keep succeeding in the future if I keep up what I'm doing. In the end all this hard work will pay off.

Chelsey

My college experince so far has been a rush. I am in a completely new setting; although it's expected moving from West Virginia to Pittsburgh. I moved into a school where I knew no one at all, not to mention I lived in the tiniest room on my floor with a complete stranger. I was not used to the city living but this became my new home. This is a completely new experience for me, which makes it valuable in itself. I strongly believe that people need to get out and explore to live life to it's fullest. I have met an interesting group of people in this school, some of which I now consider friends. I've been introduced to the liberal arts community and am surrounded by artistic individuals. It feels wonderful to be around people whom I have a lot of things in common with. I am now best friends with my roommate and I embrace the city that I now reside in seeing the many wonders of Pittsburgh. That is how Point Park University has made my college experience valuable.

I have grown as a student, an athlete, and a person during my time at Point Park University. I have become more independant, learned a lot about myself, and met some great people that I know will be life long friends. I have experienced many different things that I may have never experienced if I had not come here. The city of Pittsburgh is an alive venue, there are always things going on, and you always have opportunities to do something new and exciting. The small campus allows for a closer relationship with professors and peers. Also, there are many opportunities to visit other college campuses in the area, as well as to cheer on our Black and Gold sports teams all year long!

Karissa

I haven't been in college for very long, but I have learned a lot in the short amount of time I've been here and I expect I'm going to learn a lot more. I have always been very quiet and shy and not very social, but since I've been here I've been breaking out of my shell and being more social, which is a great achievement for me. I have also learned that you can't take things for granted and it's a rough world and that you have to fight and work hard for everything and you can't just expect things to be handed to you.

Holden

The idea of college, as a whole, is a hard one to swallow. With the main emphasis being on business majors since the Powell Memo in the mid 1970's, as a Philosophy major, I've had a hard time adjusting. However, at Point Park University, there are professors who 'fight the system.' This school has done more for me than any one person or group of people in my life. I've made lifelong friends and connections, and isn't networking what it's all about anymore? This school has made me realize that I want to be something useful when I grow older. The Israel-Palestine conflict isn't going to end anytime soon and I'd like to focus my ability and talent on that. From my experience overall, I've gleaned wisdom, charisma and a little bit of cynicism for the rest of the world. Perhaps I am not as naive as I once was. Little bit more pessimistic than the happy go lucky days of youth. But, as Nietzsche says, we'll all be dust in the end.

I have become knowledgable in Medical Coding/Insurance. I have worked in medical offices and hospital, and I feel more confident .

Yavapai College is a great place both for people planning to transfer to a University, or people just looking for a nice social atmosphere to learn in. The campus has a great basketball gym, nice pool, clean fitness center and green baseball field. The classes are not huge "stadium" classes, and therefore the teachers are very accessible and friendly, giving students all the help they will need. I began going to college just to pass the time, not really planning on going anywhere with my education. Through my studies, my mind has been opened up a bit more, and now I am going to Northern Arizona University this next semester to get a degree in journalism/political science. After that, I plan on attending law school and becoming a constitutional lawyer. I would never had dreamt of going after these goals if I hadn't went to Yavapai College for a while. I'd urge anybody who is wondering whether they are college material or not to go to Yavapai, and they'll help you realize that you've got the right stuff.

Akasha

There is no better feeling than feeling aligned on the right pathway. To enjoy where you are, while looking forward to where you are going. I have never felt more at home in any one place, as I do in Pittsburgh. Point Park is a small university, with a big campus: Pittsburgh itself is our campus. My school is very urban. There is always some event happening somewhere. The buses run until 2 o'clock am, leaving a lot of time to explore the city. I've experienced so many new things from hookah bars, to mastering public transit. My classes are fantastic. Our assignments are practical, making them more enjoyable to finish. I feel completely excited to explore my major. There are so many resources at my disposal, I feel like I can do anything. Recently, I had my tarot cards read. The fortune teller was estatic at my cards, which described the amount of opurtunities I have for success. Smiling slyly, I couldn't help but agree.

stephanie

My college experience so far has been great. I have gotten more independence and time to realize what i really what to do in life. It is very valuable to attend college because of my goals and my reasons on what i want to do in life. College has given me more help when needed, more friends and more experience to know how the "real" world is without someone to hold your hand. The experience has been very mind setting for me because of the enviornment of doing things on your own. To know from right and wrong when your independent. It made me realize to focus on what needs to be done such as paying attention on whats going on in the surrounding of college. College is also valuable to me because it is something i want to push my kids to do in the future. To tell my kids is to believe on your dreams and most of all believe in yourself that you can do anything that you set your mind to. College is valuable to me because i have to be thankful that i am able to go to college and to experience the times there.

Maggie

I've gained a lot of hands-on experience in my classes that I feel has really prepared me for work in the real world. Many of my professors also have great networking opportunities within Pittsburgh, so that's helpful for when I want to find internships. I also like that I can take a class that specifically helps prepare me for my career and that my internships can count as credit.

As this is my freashman year, I have gotten a great deal out of my college experience. I have learned how to look for a college that is right for me, to be more outgoing and talk with advisors and ask for help when needed. I have also experienced what it is like to live on my own and make friends that I will have for a lifetime. College is a valuable experience for anyone because it doesn't just teach you more about the career field you want to work in, but it teaches you life lessons, like how to live, and function in the world on your own. The best thing about it is that you have the support of the college and your parents so you are not totally on your own but at the same time you are learning that it is ok to let go of the way you use to live, and to experience life with everything you have. I would not give up my chance to experience college, and I want to encourage everyone to go for their dreams because everything is possible with a little bit of hard work.

I have not started yet but plan on fall 2010.I want a career and to learn as much as i can. I want to help the world with my reporting and hope someday to be a katie Couric or Diane Sawyer I just need to find a way to get there.

Allen

Life is like a box of chocolates, you don't know what your getting, until you explore it.

Tarah

Alot of times I wish I had the oppurtunity to go back to my senior year, but instead, I inform my sisters on what to do and what not to do. My senior year, I slacked off. I waited to the last minute to do many things, such as waiting to long to fill out financial aid request, not deciding on which colleges to choose from, and not preparing for the SAT's properly. If I could go back, I would do all thoughs things over in a timely manner. I would also visit many other colleges far away, to get a vibe of what they are about. My senior year, I only visited one college on a dull rainy day, and it scared me. So I stayed home for college, and now I feel like I'm stuck because of financial reasons. If I could go back to my senior year, I would have started my financial search really early. So, basically my problem my senior year was slacking off, and not doing things to prepare for college on time.

Dominic

Still being a freshman, I feel as though I have made a rather smooth transition into college life. I came here so that I could learn more about filmmaking, which I plan to pursue as a career. The classes that I have taken so far have been very informative and interesting. Were I able to advise my high school self about college life, I would make two specific recommendations. First of all, I would assure myself that I made the right decision. Filmmaking is taken very seriously here, as I had hoped it would be. It is important to keep in mind, however, that by coming here, it is assumed that one already has films in mind?stories that one wants to tell. And so, it is important to start thinking as soon as possible about ideas for films. Second of all, I would address the fact that most people here are extremely friendly, so I need not worry about struggling to make friends. Meeting people comes naturally in the classroom and on campus. I actually think that diving right into college was an exciting way to begin. I probably would not change anything even if I could.

I would say: "Don't be afraid of adapting to new cultures and people you're not used to; your family is one thing, the rest of the world is another. Accept yourself as you are, in every regard; it will save you lots of pain and confusion. You are not an island, we all need help sometimes, so don't be afraid to ask for it, especially financially. And do yourself a favor and learn how to budget; overdraft charges are no fun for anyone. Search your butt off for scholarships, this school is expensive; this field you're entering is expensive, and you don't want to spend all your earnings after college on all your loans, you'll need that money to live. Oh, and keep your optimism. You'll undoubtedly go through a lot of hurt (emotionally and physically), struggles, exhaustion, but no matter how bleak it looks, just say 'yes, and', go with it and keep shooting for the heavens and don't let anyone else's "realistic" views bring you down. Lastly, don't sell yourself short for anyone or anything, keep your mind open and your integrity intact."

It is funny that you ask this question, because my parents have asked me the same question. If I were to go back to high school and talk to myself, I would have to talk to myself about studying, take my classwork more seriously, I would tell myself to ask for pointers on how to study and I would tell myself that I really need to read the text books that are required. I would also tell myself that during my free time that I would need to read as much as I can possibly read. I would also tell myself to be more involved in committees and social groups. I would also go to the gym and work on being in better physical shape. This would have helped me avoid injury during my Senior softball season. I would finally, tell my-self that I need to take more math classes.

Mikelle

With over a semester of experience in college as a freshman, I would tell the high school senior version of myself that the transition into college from high school will be easier the more organized and time effective I become. In college knowing how to manage time, sleep, and fun is the most important key to surviving the first semester or year. Keeping a day planner where you write down the homework you have, the rehearsals you are scheduled for, the times to set aside to study, and the blocks of free time really helps with managing time and keeping sane. Also, the transition is easier if you maintain a set goal for the semester and stick with those one or two goals, because it helps keep you focused on personal growth and helps keep your mind off of distractions that hinder a student?s performance. I would also tell myself to make good connections and relationships with the teachers I have, as well as with people in the university offices because it is easier to get help or answers from the correct people when you are having trouble or need guidance.

Tim

If I could go back, I would tell myself to keep pushing yourself to do the best you can and to improve on the studying skills. Studying is one of the most important areas in college where you spend a large amount of time researching and reading and keeping up on assignments. I would tell myself to not get hung up on little issues and focuse on the larger ones because there is nothing more detrimental to your success than fighting yourself over little things.

Jamisa

Be prepared to meet alot of interesting people. I would tell myself to orginize my time more wisely and just remember that you are a beautiful person on the inside and on the out.

Renee'

When i was a high school senior and was looking for a school I was looking for one that was "Safe" . If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior one main thing I would tell myself is to take the jump. Sometimes safe is good but being to safe may hold you back from learning many new things. I would let myself know that going away to a school where you know no one and your friends are over 4 hours away isn't a bad thing because you get to meet so many new people and get to experience having the awkward silences between you and other new classmates. Another peice of advice is just because a class may seem intimidating doesn't mean it is impossible. The challenge is the best thing about trying new subjects that are harder to learn because that's what makes them even more rewarding in the end result if you succed. The last words of advice are just have faith, believe in yourself, and don't ever listen to what others or stitistics say! Always take the jump because the landing may be great!

The best advice I could have given myself as a senior would be that it is alright to not be a hundred percent on what you want to do for the rest of your life. The best part of life is making mistakes because without them you wouldn't know what truely felt like the right thing to do for yourself. Also, making mistakes mean that you have tried something new and even putting yourself out there isn't failing but rather, it is achieving the courage to act and do. So, I would have encouraged myself to fail, to prosper in hands on experiences. Success doesn't happen overnight, being a fighter and not giving up on yourself is the best advice to give anyone in the tender age of seventeen.

The only advice I would give myself is what I said to myself when I was a high school senior. You need to go to a college that you want to attend; not what your friends want and sometimes maybe not even what your parents want under certain circumstances. College is the first big step in a young adult?s life. It is the beginning mark of making choices that will affect their futures and how they want the outcomes of their lives to be. Stay focused in college, life will be great. This does not mean you cannot have a social life and experience what college is about, but you learn to decide what is right and wrong and learn from specific mistakes that you may make. Everything about college helps one put the pieces of their life together tightly. College will help you decide what you want out of life and what you will do in order to achieve greatness or failure. It is all up to you. Look at college as a journey; not a destination.

If I knew what I know now when I was younger, I would have trusted my instincts in selecting a school instead of choosing what seemed practical. Location and tuition should be secondary factors to the quallity of an education. I am not sure that my younger self could have understood the importance of time-management, but I would have certainly tried to warn her. Any further advice would be unneccesary; no one can fully prepare for the learning and personal growth that occurs in the first year of college.