Roanoke College Top Questions

Bridget

Dear High School Self, Knowing what I know now at the end of my freshman year of college I have a lot to tell you. No matter how prepared you think you are for college you are never prepared. High school tries to prepare you but in reality it is all up to you to prepare for college life. Number one, if you are a failing a class or think it is over whelming do not be afraid to drop it, you are not a failure for dropping it! Learn studying skills before you go to college; it will help you when you have your first big exam and have no idea on how to start to study for it. Whatever you do, stop your procrastinating habits before you enter college for they will only harm you in the end. And most importantly do not be afraid to try things you never thought about trying before, whether its joining a sports team or a club. Take heed to my advice. Love, future college self!

Tiara

If I could go back in time and speak to my high school self I would tell myself to prepare for the real world. Being in college gives you a new sense of responsibility. Be prepared for more homework and having your mind learn things you never even knew existed. Also to try your best at being social because having at least one friend on a campus like this makes all the difference.

Matthew

The hardest part about college is being able to afford tuition and college expenses. With that said, do not let your decision be based purely on Money. Although money is tight, and at times it will seem almost impossible to be able to afford. If you let money dictate what you do in life you will never be happy. College is about more that your GPA, no matter what any one tells you, although it is very important it is not the only thing that matters. Growing and becoming an adult is what college is about. Learning not only academically but also socially. You will meet people from all walks of life, by learning about there experiences and how they grew up and where they are from you will gain a better understanding of life. Just because you grew up in Chicago doesnt mean every one has the same view and ideals as you. By surrounding yourself with people who come from different walks of life. You will become a more well rounded person.

Mutahir

Apply early, apply local and for public schools. Also I would tell myself to visit the campuses of the schools. And maybe also take summer courses at some institutions.

Tyler

If I could go back in time and advise myself as a high school senior, I would ensure that I learned how to study properly and developed a great work ethic in academics before college, including avoiding procrastination. Now that I am a senior in college, I realize how much time management and organization play into succeeding in college. A good work ethic is the most valuable thing a person can have when attending college.

Rebecca

Dear Self, I know right now you're stressed out. You are ready to graduate and get the hell out of high school. You're thinking to yourself, "This doesn't matter anymore. In a few months I'll be walking across that stage and then going off to college to start some more boring courses and get a degree." However, you couldn't be any more wrong. Why? Well, The school you CHOSE was no public highschool. You CHOSE a place of HIGHER education - a school that encourages you to do your best, to step OUT of your comfort zone. A school that holds your heart - Roanoke College. Self, what you need to know about college is that it is NOT full of ingreatful students who do nothing but sleep through a class and earn an "A++." You chose a school where you have to study your ASS off just to get a C. What you will realize when you get here is how good it feels to succeed, and how MOTIVATING it is to fail. So self, don't say that high school doesn't matter, because without it, you wouldn't be where I am today. -You

marissa

I would tell my self to make the most of high school. To find a balance between studies and friends. Also I would tell mysel to start the scholarship search early. There are so many scholarships available to high school juniors that I was not aware of.

Kaitlin

Never let anything get you down. You are strong enough to take on the world. You're not alone. There are people out there who want to help you succeed. You applied to colleges alone, you got accepted, the world isn't ending, it's begining. You're about to start a new life in a new place with new people, you can start over, or you can let the past make you stronger. You don't have to take on the world alone. College will be great, you'll make friends there, you'll take the classes you want, you'll start your own life where you can make everything work. When it feels like the world around you, the changes that you need to face, are sufficating you, that will make you stronger, don't let it bring you down when the pressure comes. You will learn to be independent but that doesn't mean that you're alone, you can lean on people, your friends, your family, to help hold you up when you feel as if the world around you is crashing. You made it to college, you did it on your own, now keep going.

Dannielle

Looking back at my college life and what I thought it would be like when I was in high school there are a couple things that I would want to warn myself of. The first, be confident in yourself and what you do. Don't feel like you need to change who you are to be liked by others. You will be able to find your own group on campus and fit in without changing yourself. The second thing would be peer pressure and believing in yourself enough to know that you don't need to do anything you don't want to do. Lastly, I would tell myself to have more fun. You worry too much about getting good grades so that you will have a better future with graduate school and although that is important, you have to explore, go on random adventures with friends, take advantage of things you may only have a chance to do once in a life time, and study abroad. Do the unexpected and don't regret anything.

Rebecca

I would advise myself to look into more scholarships to help pay off my education. I never truly understood how much it is to attend college, and I am truly grateful for my parents who have helped me get to where I am today. By looking into other scholarships, I would have been able to help my parents out more and cause less stress on my family who works extra shifts at their jobs to make sure my family has enough money to fund the best education for me as well as for my younger brother.

Phillip

If I could go back and to talk to high school senior Phillip, I would have quite a bit of advice to give him. First, and most importantly, I would encourage him to "embrace the awkward". I have always had a tendency to avoid situations where I might feel even remotely uncomfortable; but younger Phillip needs to know that college is the perfect place to grow and expand his horizons. "Embrace the awkward" doesn't mean to ignore the fact that a situation is uncomfortable, but instead to realize that it is this very lack of comfort that enables personal growth. The second piece of advice I would impart to my younger self is a more practical and concrete suggestion: "Manage your time wisely." Time management is incredibly important in the college world. With poor time management skills it's easy to miss out on some incredible once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Academics, social life, and health all revolve around this one key skill. Focusing on these two mantras would help me make the best of the transition between high school and college.

Esaiteberhane

The advice I would have given myself is a quote by martin Luther king. It says “the time is always right to do what is right” the quote summarizes the first two years at Roanoke College. There have been times that I wanted to speak up about an issue. There have been instances that I wanted to try something new, but was afraid to do so. This quote reminds me to follow my gut and do what is right at the moment. Hesitance and doubt can delay and even cost me an opportunity to have an impact in my community and myself. Self-doubt may cost me a life time experience, therefore when I see an opportunity to experience something new, I should not hold back, I would tell my self, to go ahead and try out for the school choir because the worst that could happen is not see my name on the list of those who made it. That I would make it to the school choir, because honestly not only am I talented and just as good, but also better than those who questioned my abiilty to make it. I would tell me to just do it.

Tyler

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I should learn how to always start assignments early and to not procrastinate. I always try my hardest to prevent myself from waiting until the last second to start assignments, but I do fall victim to procrastination sometimes.

Brandon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself at the very beginning of my senior year, I would tell myself to try as hard as possible, but to still enjoy high school while I could. I was always a person who loathed high school, though now, I feel my loathing was unwarranted. It is a place of learning where students may socialize with one another, free of any persecution that others in our world may be subject to. The place, students, and staff were some of the greatest people I have ever known and I doubt I will ever know anyone the same. I had many experiences in high school, from chemistry projects to spanish projects, and I would make sure I let myself know that I should enjoy the time I have left there. The world is much larger and more complicated than I contemplated in high school. The idea of venturing out on one's own is very nerve racking and exhausting on one's mind, though I would make sure I would be ready and able to make the transition into my new life. I would make my past self excited for this world.

Tyler

The most important thing that you will take with you from High School will be your dedication, efforts and work ethic. The relationships may last or they may not last, but what will take you into your future will be what you learned during those years and how you apply that knowledge to the rest of your life. Make your decisions thoughtfully and remember that every action that you take will affect someone else in some way. Control your impulses as they will often get you into trouble. Always remember that your parents/ guardians are the only ones that will ever completely have your back, so listen carefully and thoughtfully to the guidance and advice that they offer you, and apply it to your daily life. One last thing, Pray everyday and ask God to guide you through and don't forget to thank him for the opportunity.

I would tell myself that its OK to go to a community college. I would tell myself that there are easier ways to get money, than filing for 3 private loans. I would tell myself not to take my Highschool boyfriend to school with me, that it will in fact be the worst decision of your school career. I would make sure my past self knows the importance of studying, and how bad procrastination can be. There are a lot of negative things I could advise my past self about, but I think the most important thing would be to reassure myself that no matter what, it will be OK. If you dont pass a class it's OK, your parents will still love you. If you dont make friends right away it's OK, it will happen. If you feel scared about paying off loans, it's OK it will be manageable. Just keep being yourself and doing your best, life has a way of working things out.

Courtney

I would tell myself to really take a step back and look at the people I had been surrounding myself with. Once I got to college, I realized who the important people in my life were. Some did not happen to make it just because they, or me, did not want to put that effort in anymore. I would tell myself to surround myself with only people that genuinely cared about me and my interests, rather than trying to be the coolest people on campus.

Maria

I would offer advice about making sure to pick a school you really can picture yourself at because you should never pick the school based off of a financial aid award letter.

If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to view going to college as an opportunity to explore new hobbies, while also keeping a close eye on my academic performance. Striking the perfect balance between work and play is a challenge, but absolutely essential to being a successful college student. Reaching out to new people and establishing personal relationships with professors is another tip I would give myself, because I am beginning to realize the importance of having a support system as well as learning to network with others.

Keilah

Dear High School Self, Focus! High School is not the time to slack off or slide by. Do the most you can as best as you can. The more advanced classes you take in high school the less money you have to spend now. Its okay to not know something right away thats what your teachers are for. You dont have to worry about looking stupid or feeling incompetent; you arent. You can do anything you put your mind to as long as you focus. Study more, work harder, and try not to pay attention to the cruel words or dysfunction. The better you do the sooner you can leave the drama behind. Also go with your gut. Your first instinct is your best. Dont worry about the people who were mean or judgemental; they dont matter. Just think about getting out and moving forward. You'll probably end up better me. Keep your eyes on the prize and dont lose hope or focus. You can do it.

Sumi

Dear high school Sumi, I would first begin by saying, drop all the high school drama. They just become baggage once you get into college. I promise you, nothing is worth wasting your time. And being clean, organized and active is more important than you'll ever know! Life away from the ones you love becomes difficult but the transition will become easier once you take the time to wear your big girl shoes. Independent, mature adults plan out their lives and carefully make step by step decisions because they value time more than anything. And never take the easy, lazy way out. Yes the bookstore is a lot faster and closer to you but the books will cost you a big BIG hole in your pocket. Take the time to read a few more books and take part in more volunteer programs. You'll know that your time has not gone to waste. Oh Roanoke is a great place so take advantage of the things they offer; do whatever you can do to make sure the money you are spending on this school is well worth it. Don't forget, regardless of where you are just be yourself!

Adan

Adan. Its your last year of high school! I know you feel like you are ready to get out of here, but you should prepare for your future now. Before the first two weeks of school pass, you should have applied or know what colleges you want to attend. It is crucial that you do this early in your senior year, so that when you have homework and projects piling up, and mid-terms nearing, you can have one less thing to worry about. Remember that you are not doing this for your friends, or your family. You are doing it for yourself, and God. Speaking of God, be sure to hold on to him whenever you feel like you can't finish that essay, or when you are groing impatient for the day that your fate arrives in the hands of the postman. Enjoy highschool, but don't be afraid to challenge yourself and take higher level courses, and do activities that will dostinguish you and mold you into an ideal citizen. I can assure that you will build a solid foundation for college, if you follow my advice. I mean, I would know you best right? Good luck!

Mercedes

The advice i would give myself would be to study, college has shown me that just because i didn't have to study in high school doesn't mean that i don't need to in college. Get involved be more involved in the events and organizations that are on the campus. Ask questions in class and don't be afraid to speak up. Take good notes, always go to class and be alert. Go out on the weekends to eat or go have some fun. Do your homework as soon as you get it and don't wait until sunday night to do it, sundayd are also a bad day to do laundry. i would just tell myslef to be smart,study, use my time wisely, get a great education and have fun while doing it. Like one of my professors said live a confound life.

Marie

Follow your instincts, don't predetermine your direction. Be open to every interation as every discussion is just as much a learning experience as what you learn in the the classroom. Say yes to every opportunity, and learn to suppress doubt, just try. Focus on finding yourself, and contemplate on the changes and feelings you observe in yourself.

Courtney

talk everything through with your roommate and don't make any assumptions about who you can trust and who you can't to fast. Also, when roommates fight stay out of it don't take sides because one of them could be lieing.

Nikki

Don't hesitate to have fun. Relax every chance you can-- between studying-- because there will be even harder work. Don't worry so much! Experiencing new things is liberating and exciting, so enjoy it to the fullest. Grow as much as a person as you do an intellectual being. It's the first time you will be out on your own, so learn all that you can about yourself while developing your whole self at the same time. Be brave. Ask that cute soccer player out, go to some games, sing karaoke, play some intense bingo! Be willing to learn from your mistakes and take criticism with an open heart. Never regret a moment.

Benjamin

When I was in High School, there was all the pressure in the world to decide then and there the college and the career I wanted. After biting the bullet and making the decisions that I have made, I would have a very simple message to myself as a high school senior. Firstly, I would tell myself to take ten steps back and not give in to the pressure. Most importantly I would stress to myself the concept that everything would fall into place no matter what college, and no matter what field of study I chose. We all find our comfort-zone eventually. It is always the biggest step to start the journey- the rest is picking and choosing the right paths along the way. Those in turn lead to our own educational finish lines whether we realize it or not. I would tell myself to have all the contentment in the world that as long as I kept on a trail, I would find my way.

Brenna

If I could go back in time and help myself through the transition, I would tell myself to put myself out there more when school starts and make more friends. I went to college with my best friends, and although we didn't room together, we spent too much time together. Now we are no longer speaking and I then had trouble making new friends. So for the second half of the year I really only spoke to a handful of people. I am no longer going back to Roanoke College this fall because I don't feel as if I fit in. It's a great school, if you have friends, otherwise you're miserable. I am choosing to come home and go to Lord Fairfax Community College this fall.

Alexis

Try to apply for more long term scholarships.

Joshua

Honestly, I would not say anything to myself to make college better for myself, or easier, I would rather learn than to be handed what was going to happen. Even what it would be like, I have had numerous amounts of people tell me how it was but yet I still didn't believe it. College just happens to be one of those things you have to try it for yourself to see. It might be easy as pie for some but than harder than no other.

Dania

If I could go back and give myself advice for college I would most definitely tell myself to save money and not procrastinate so much. College is not like high school; it is a completely different experience that needs another level of focus that most high school kids just don't seem to have. I would remind myself to stay true to myself and what I believe in and not let any other philosophies or trains of thougt change who I am. Lastly, I would tell myself that I need to get a planner where I can write down all my assignments and due dates so that I don't forget.

Shantal

If i had the chance to go back to my high school years, i tell myself to do better in high school, regarding grades, to do anything posible in order to achieve the ideal grades to apply to the university that i want because later on it will help me in my transition to university, also i would tell myself to be more informed about all the oportunities that the college give us to us and take advantage of them, to be less shy and participate more in clubs, because in there, they give you more information regarding college and help you with your academic goals. I would tell myself that the most important thing in college is to believe in myself, to be motivated and be sure about the careers that i choose, because is something that i will do for all my life and is better if i enjoy what i do. To don't hesitate to chose Psychology for a major, even if people discourage you, this is what you are interested in and is something that you will enjoy studying.

Kellan

Today, I realize that college is not very cheap. As I'm about to enter my Junior year in college, I now see how important it is to apply for scholarships and find ways to save financially. Secondly, I would have listened to my parents much better. My mom has so much wisdom about life which I'm beginning to realize that. I have discovered that even though the road I travel may be intertwined with obstacles and struggles along the way, it is these challenges that make each individual grow in whatever they want to accomplish. Perseverance is one of the most important keys to success.

Jeremy

Going back in time to talk to my high school senior self, I would say to weigh out all financial instabilities that may be assiciated with each college. Specifically Roanoke College. I would tell myself to look more into the financial aspects of each college to gain background information so that I would not be surprised when that $2000 increase is incurred after my freshman year.

Hailey

I would tell myself, don't stress too much. Everything is going to work itself out and you need to take things one step at a time. College IS hard. You need to study. Learn some new techniques before your first college exam because you're going to need it. Keep in touch with your friends, no matter how much fun you are having, they were important in your life and should stay that way. Make new friends though. Reach out to the kid down your hall, you never know how much you may have in common. Call mom and dad, they miss you more than you know. Try new things, have new experiences, and embrace change, good or bad. Everyday, do something for YOURSELF. Its way too easy to get caught up in things and forget to make yourself happy. Overall, remember why you came to college. You're here to get an education and grow into yourself. Don't ever let others bring you down.

Margaret

I would tell myself to stop freaking out so much about not finding any friends in college, I have found many great friends of whom I expect to be friends with for life. I would also tell myself to work harder during my senior year, and to have gotten my studying habits down then, because having to start college off with bad studying habits was not an easy task.

Abby

I didn't join anything because I was so set on getting ahead academically that I didn't want clubs or anything to get in my way and take time away from my studies. I have learned now, though, that joining clubs is part of the time management part of college. I regret not being active in the clubs I did sign up for - it's hard being a double major and having extra time on my hands. If I could go back, I would tell myself to put myself out there and meet new people. Join clubs and don't worry about the classes. School always comes first, but in college it is harder to make friends if you don't join stuff.

Courtney

The biggest thing I would tell myself is to do what I want, and what I desire. Not what my parents want, my boyfriend, or anybody else, but me. I would tell myself not to be worried about being an art major, even though everybody else says it's a useless major. It doesn't matter, because that's your passion. Also, don't lose track of your religion and spirituality. It's hard to lose your practices when emerged into a completely different area, with different people, and negative impacts surrounding you. I would tell myself to never forget where you grew up and how your parents raised you. And always...ALWAYS...follow your instincts. They can literally save your life some day.

Apply to local scholarships. There are tons of them, and so few people apply to them since they don't usually show up in scholarships searches. Look for scholarships specific to Roanoke College in all areas your interested in even if you're not planning to major in that area. If you don't have a passport, apply for one because there are so many study abroad opportunities in college and you're going to need it at some point.

Jonathan

Appreciate every second of the college experience. The time you spend at college will pass quickly so enjoy it. Make the most of the opportunity that you have been given. Spend time with your friends, devote yourself to your studies, get involved on campus, perhaps in the clubs or greek life, and always keep an open mind. As you develop mentally and physically and become an adult do not forget to be kid from time to time. Never forget where you come from and how you have been raised. Always treat the people in your life and environment as equals. Never take for granted the small, seemingly insignificant things in life. Even as you are leaving the nest, do not forget to keep your relationship with your family strong. Remember, life is so incredibly short, so cherish every moment that you have at college. So many people do not have the ability to go to a great college like Roanoke College and get an invaluable education. P.S. Study the verb conjugations and "Family" vocabulary for your final Spanish exam. And Dana Layo has a crush on you so tell her that you like her.

Sean

If I could go back and advise myself about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to be open and accepting to all aspects of campus life. Don't define yourself by a sport, major, organization, or club. Get involved with as much as you can and find aspects of your college that interest you and invest time in learning something new. Be accepting of individuals around you because more often than not, people come into your life to help you; you just have to open the door to them. Create an image of yourself that you want to be proud of when you reflect back on what really are designed to be the best four years of your life. Don't battle the changes you make internally because college is a place to truly better yourself for the real world. Inspire those around you with an attribute you excel at and learn from your peers. Make fond memories and keep a positive outlook during your college career. Smile at the nuances of your new home and cherish the differences it has with your high school town. Enjoy, learn, and grow.

Caitlyn

Do homework. It matters in the long-run. Ask questions, don't settle for anything less than you could have. Don't blow off things till the last moment. Trust yourself. Communicate and don't hold onto past greviances. Don't be weary of talking to your roommate or suitemates-- you're going to live with them for 26 weeks and they'll become fast friends of yours. Challenge yourself, not just the international students. Don't pull all-nighters because you pay for them during the day. Be eager and attentive, but most of all, be yourself.

Kelsey

Dear self, I don't even know where to begin. First off, I suggest that you visit and apply to as many universities and colleges as possible. While doing this, keep in mind that you also want to try to get as high of grades as possible. This could ultimately make the difference between getting into your top choice! Also, if you get waitlisted at a school call the admissions office and inquire on the status of your application and tell them how much getting into that school means to you. I learned from working in the admissions office that this will show the school how important getting in is to you. Also apply for every scholarship possible. The more money you can save on you first year, the more money you will have for the future! When it comes to selecting a roomate, don't freak out that you don't know them. As long as you are nice it will work out . My final advice is the best was to make new friends is to get involved. There are all kinds of events on campus, clubs, sports teams, and more where you can do this.

Brianna

Dear Highschool Senior Brianna Hope, Always use as much help as given in school and if you are struggling dont be afraid to reach out for help because in the end it will help you. Then dont be discouraged by all the negativity around you always keep your head up. Always stay motivated while your going through in school and ask the teachers for help if needed because i see you struggled to ask for help. Brianna please dont fall into the wrong crowd and stay more focused on your school work than who's your friend and who isnt your friend. By staying focused on your school work you'll see your grades seem to go up ,but always remember to not give up. When you go to college follow in these footsteps that your in now by always asking for help when you need it . Knowing that math is your weekest subject always remember that there are always tutors you can go to for help. There are also teachers that stay after school if you need help and same goes to any other subject in school. As for your friends in high school dont make them your priority.

Courtney

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to focus more on academics and on finding a way to fund college. I come from a family below poverty and financial aid does not cover everything. I would have told myself to start applying for scholarships earlier (junior year) and to think more ahead instead of taking everything as it comes. Education is worth all of the struggle and hardwork and it is the only way to make a change in the world. Not being able to afford it is a horrible feeling, and I would have told my high school self to realize the real meaning of money ahead of time. While living in my mom's safety net, I never understood how important money was, and if I could speak to 12th grade Courtney, I would explain all of this to her. I would tell her to absorb everything that she is taught, embrace all of the college opportunities and experiences, to study extremely hard, and to NEVER take any of it for granted.

Selena

If I could talk to myself while I was in high school there would only be a few things I would want to change. The first thing would be to apply for scholarships or even just look into them sooner. I did not have the most impressive grades while I was in high school so I always assumed I didnt have a chance at obtaining a scholarship but I now know that, while it would be harder, it would still have been possible. The only other piece of advice I would give myself would have been to get involved more with environmental organizations. I always knew I needed to get involved more but I was never interested in the typical options. Animal shelters, soup kitchens, and such made upset me and there was very little emphisis on it at my high school so I never figured out there were other options I would have enjoyed more like environmental clean up. Every other thing I could advise myself to do would have had to start earlier than my senior year and to be truthful, besides struggling to finance my education, I am content enough that I rarely think about do-overs.

To work harder during my first semester and actually use the helpful references such as my professors, the writing center and subject tutoring to my advantage.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to pay more attention in English, because I never knew just how important knowing how to write was. Not only would I tell myself that, but I would also remember to tell myself to be true. Not to change at the beginning of the college, because you're going to either make a fool of yourself, or not like who you become. Now about making the college life transition, remember that just because you live in a dorm doesn't mean to go hog wild and live like a wild child. This will be time to grow up and start the moving out of your "childhood" home. Once you start going home, it won't feel like it anymore. You'll just feel like a visitor. Finally, make sure that you don't slack off just because you're not under your parent's control anymore. This is not a chance to stop working hard. If you do, your GPA will suffer, and you may end up kicked out of school. Remember, you can and will do great in live!

I would tell myself to take every opportunity that presents itself. I did while I was here and I had the best time. Also, money is always going to be an issue so don't worry about it so much, people with money are nicer than they seem and are very generous. Academically, be ready to challenge yourself and open yourself up to taking classes you never thought you would, you might actually surprise what you become interested in. I never thought and anthropology class would inspire me until I took one and then decided to study abroad in Africa. I think that shyness and keeping your mind closed to new experiences is the worst thing you could be when you come to college, especially one like Roanoke which has given me the most amazing opportunities in my life.

brantley

If I could go back to my senior year in High School, i would tell myself that who and what you are in high school is not who and what you are for the rest of your life. I would tell myself that each and every person walking the halls beside me has insecurities and uncertainties, and that what you see on the outside is often not close to the emotions and struggles going on inside. I would tell myself that in just a year from now i will be friends with someone i never even spoke to in high school, so why not reach out to that person now. I would tell myself to reach out more to those walking the halls alone. I would remind myself daily to dream big and reach far, and to live life while it's available to be lived. I would tell myself to be less concerned with appearances and more concerned with attitudes. I would remind myself how quickly this time of life disappears and how much there is to be accomplished and experienced. Most of all, I would certainly not let myself waste one single moment of one single day.