Sarah Lawrence College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The stereotype of a Sarah Lawrence student would definitely have to include the word "hipster" or "hipster-esque" somewhere in it. Jocks are definitely not what you'll find here but then again if you've heard of Sarah Lawrence you probably already know of its amazing programs in the arts but you probably also know that it's not a sports school.

The stereotype of a Sarah Lawrence student would definitely have to include the word "hipster" or "hipster-esque" somewhere in it. Jocks are definitely not what you'll find here but then again if you've heard of Sarah Lawrence you probably already know of its amazing programs in the arts and writing as well as across the board entirely but also that it's not a sports school. Students here are learners and genuinely love the knowledge they receive.

Lydia

Oh dear, well, the most popular SLC stereotype around my high school was that SLC was essentially composed of a "lesbian hierarchy" and no, that's not exactly accurate. Hahaha. While there is certainly a LGBTQ presence on campus, I would by no means call SLC hierarchical or any sort of normative ;). That being said, you'll DEF feel out of place if such a stereotype would seriously deter you from applying.

Pretensious wanna be hipster drug addicts. Kids at Sarah Lawrence tend to be on the weirder side, but there is every type of person you could imagine.

Tsebiyah

I'd say there are two: spoiled rich girls and pretentious art freaks. While Sarah Lawrence College, aside from its small classes and Oxford-style liberal arts education, is known for its high tuition, many of the students are aided by federal grants, loans, and scholarships. Regardless, I have met some of the most kind, experienced, passionate and compassionate people at SLC. Our lovely campus is populated with people who are educated and continue to seek education about the world, and intend to use to in order to benefit their communities. Like most stereotypes, there is a basis, but the truth rarely extends beyond that. Most of the people you will meet on our campus are difficult to place into a single category. But the experiences that you have meeting them are often unforgettable and worthwhile.

Chantal

Hipsters....

Pamela

The common stereotype about Sarah Lawrence College is that we are all liberal students or free spirits who are only focused on art. Now, this is only half true. Sure most of us love art and enjoy a different form of education, we are also very determined about our classes. For example if I am taking a fiction writing class, it is only because I love writing, not because I have to take it just to fill a course requirement.