Southern Methodist University Top Questions

What's the Greek scene like?

Bora

Greek is very popular at SMU but that does not mean that if you are not Greek you will not fit in because you will. SMU is all Greek, but you can still have friends who are Greek and you can still be apart of their events when they are open to all students.

Bora

Greek is very popular at SMU but that does not mean that if you are not Greek you will not fit in because you will. SMU is all Greek, but you can still have friends who are Greek and you can still be apart of their events when they are open to the all students.

It's intense. Here, if girls don't get into the sorority they want, they drop out and become what is known as "GDI's" (gosh darn independents) or they transfer after rush is over. The Greek scene pretty much dominates social life on campus, but first semester it's open to everyone on campus so incoming freshman can get to see if they like it or not. Second semester, it's rather exclusive, and if you're not in a sorority or fraternity expect to be stuck in your room on the weekend nights unless you're lucky enough to know someone else who didn't go Greek.