Spokane, WA
Spokane Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Spokane Community College

Alissa

If you’re like me, then you had more questions than answers when you started college. What am I doing? Am I doing this right? Where’s 27-1123A?! It’s all very unnerving. Now that I know better, it might be nice to save a few newbies from the fire. Setting an educational goal is the first major step. Some people know what that goal is from the get go, but, if you're like me, then you might need a little help. Most college councilors are full of information, and every single one of them wants you to succeed. You just have to have the courage to ask. Also, remember to take advantage of any learning opportunities that arise. My school offers free student success workshops that offer advice on career planning, time management, learning strategies, and other topics designed to give every student the tools to succeed. I wouldn't be the student I am today without them. Finally, the most important thing you can take with you to school is a good attitude. Blast crazy happy music on the way to school. Dance in your bathroom. Doodle your heart out. And remember: you’ve got this.

I wish I had known about the fantastic free student success workshops that SCC offers earlier in my college career. I really learned a lot about how to manage my time, stress, and nutritional aspects of my life, as well as some great learning strategies.

The most frusterating thing about my school would have to be the lack of social interaction between students. It's very easy to feel disconnected from other students here, and it's very rare that you'll meet someone that you'll still be friends with after the quarter is over.

Elisha

My classmates are wonderful! The majority of us group together and work together to better understand concepts they we may not all grasp. It is important to make friends in college. There will always be something that you missed or did not quite grasp and it is a great thing to have another person to count on in that situation, especially when your grade depends on it.

There are many things that I would bring up while in conversation with the high school me. A few important topics that I would bring up would probably be to not sweat the small things, do not procrastinate, and do not be afraid to ask for help. I believe that if I had used this knowledge in high school then my grades and my outlook would have been so much better. The little things in life always stress people out. I noticed that once little things pass, we never go back and think about it. If you try to recall something little that frustrated you a year ago then most likely you will not recall. Procrastination is a bad friend in school. I think that high school students are the worst. I would be really clear with the high school me on that topic. Asking for help can be a prideful thing for a high school student. I would tell the high school me that it would only better your communication skills and at the same time, you may receive a much better understanding on a subject as well as much higher grades.

I believe that my frustration can be related to many schools around the U.S. Many times, I find myself very frustrated with the offices inside the college. I think that some people are not meant to provide customer service. Often times I will be treated with a rude response. I believe there is a lack of compassion in some individuals, not all. Once again, I know that many schools can relate to this.

Tracy

Spokane Community College, specifically the Natural Resources Department, is a very close-knit group of students and faculty. Everyone works together and helps each other out.

If I could go back 20 years into the past and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy the ride. I spent so much time immediately after graduation worrying about what I should be doing, what I would become, and how to get there, that I missed out on some of the good stuff. I don't know how many of my decisions I would change, because I like who I ultimately have become and I think all of my choices have made me who I am. I would try to impress upon myself, however, to appreciate what is happening in the moment instead of worrying about what might happen next.

The program I am in is very "hands-on." I am getting to use tools and learning techniques that I will actually use with my future employer. Classes are small and there is a lot of opportunity for one-on-one learning with instructors.

Vladimir

One thing that I would about my school/college life is go to college right away after I graduated from high school. However I have not done so, because of some life changes. Right after I graduated from high school, at 18 years of age, I got married than I had a baby. Of course I do not regret these life changes; however I wish I had taken the opportunity to go to college right away. Three years have already passed from the time I graduated and finally I am back to school. It's a decision I will never regret. It's a bit tough for me to get used to the idea of school, homework and tests. However, this is my second quarter at SCC, and I am doing pretty well. Therefore, if I would be able to go back in time I would attend college right after I graduated in 2006 and by now I would probably be a police officer, which is my future dream. I would say that it's much harder to study when you get older. However, I am glad I made the decision to go back to school on time.

A student who has time to study and do homework.

Some of the teachers are not cooperating with the students.

Deborah

Its culinary program. Our culinary department has won several competitions and their restaurant is highly rated and students and faculty alike eat from the bakery and restaurant regularly.

I would tell myself that college is not as scary as it's made out to be. Yes, moving out of your parents house is scary and it's hard to change so much in so little time, but it's worth it. College is made to make you think and become a better person. You'll experience things that nobody could ever teach you. Apply early and don't feel like you're being picked on if things don't go exactly as you had hoped; things go wrong for everyone! A soft heart goes a long way to getting to know people. Don't lose who you are, just be a little tougher version of yourself. Don't forget your old friends. Call your parents, they can help you with whatever you're going through. Don't think that fitting in makes you a better person.

The kind of person that expects a good parking spot whenever they choose to show up for class. The kind that isn't motivated to make it on their own. The kind of person that has been treated like a prince/ess their whole life. The artist types wouldn't enjoy this school; there are virtually no art programs.

Nathan

My classmates are pretty cool. They love aviation just as much as I do. They can get quite playfull in the hangar, which can become quite roudy and then we have to quiet down. There is a big diversity among my classmates. We people from here is Spokane, while one guy comes all the way from Sudan, Africa, and others from many different states here in the U.S.

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior, I would tell myself to do things differently than I have done already. One thing that I would tell myself is to get more involved with activities and with other people because as time progresses it becomes much harder to make friends. By getting involved early, everyone is still new, you make friends faster and get involved easier. If you wait, then everyone already has their friends, and its a lot harder to join. A second thing I would say to myself is that college requires a lot more hard work and diligence than high school requires. Yes, I did have to make a conscious effort to get my work done in high school, but not nearly as much. I would also tell my self to start practiciing good time management skills, because they are great skills to have in college. You no longer have your parents to tell you that you need to do this or that, your on your own now. Its now your responsibility. I have have now learned these things, but I wish I could have learned them earlier.

I brag most about the major that I am completing. My major is Aviation Maintenance Technician and everyone whom I talk to thinks that is a really cool major, which i think it is as well. I also brag about the aviations part of the campus. Our classroom/hangar is right on Felts Field Airport, which is pretty cool that the college could get that.

Lance

I would tell my self to work harder for the time ahead. i would say that college isnt as easy as you may think. you will be challenged over and over again. i would also say to never give up and keep trying and put 100% into school more like 110%. i would say i should have done some more scholarships because i have no money for school. i have to work about 40 hours a week just so that i can pay for school and bills. i would end it by saying goodluck and work as hard as you possibly can so that in you can get good grades and be able to get a good job in the future.

i think that the best thing at my school is my economics class. Its very hard class the teacher really pushes us like we are all sophmores in a 4 year college. This will help me in the future when i head off to a university. iwill know what im getting myself into instead of going and getting hammered by all of the work.

well its a community college. its for people that dont have much money or want a cheaper way than going straight to a 4 year school. so i think everyone is able to attend here and they should attend college.

Vally

Hey me! You had a fine start to your college career! I just flew back to tell you that trying to make the best of your high school years and live your life to the fullest was a lovely decision. Honestly, you only graduate from high school once. The best part about this is that you were able to prepare yourself quite well for college. Taking a chance and trying out the AP courses and challenging yourself socially and mentally in school really prepares you for college. Your knowledge in those courses will give you a head start in your classes. You still need to step out of your comfort zone a bit more and perhaps try some volunteer work with your free time. It will help you out so much when you sign up for scholarships because money for college is a pain to find. And perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the computer a bit more. I know you know how to use word process and powerpoint, but maybe expand it a little so you are more comfortable with the world wide web! These little tips will make your life easier when we meet again in the future!

At SCC, the professors and volunteers always do their best to encourage the students to utilize the materials and programs that the college has created for us. No matter what classes the students are taking, they have extra helpers outside of class that willing give their time to help the students. The tutoring program here at SCC especially is a useful program that this school has offered for their students. Many students take advantage of this opportunity and they see the results of their hard work in their transcripts at the end of the quarter.

At the beginning of the quarter, students wait for finanical aid checks so they may have money to buy books. Well, the checks are handed out on the first day of class and since the majority of the students receive their checks that day, the lines for the book store is long too. It takes about two to three hours of waiting in line for the students buy the three books they need. The school advises us to buy earlier so we do not have to wait in line, but all our financial aid checks arrive on the same day.

Kristen

My school was low key but offered a great education, it was easy to get one on one contact with the teacher when you had a total of 88 people that you graduated with.

My class mates were driven and passionate about higher education, many in my class could not afford to go to a four year college, but still choose to get an education at a two year college.

If I could go back and give myself some advice on college life and the entire transition, the main thing I would tell myself is to be more independent and focus on your studies more. Even thought I did not go off to a four year college I am still working on a BS degree. I have never experienced the actual "college life" but looking at my friends I saw that the transition was hard from leaving their family, moving to another town, and meeting new people. In some ways I do regret that I never moved off and went to college but I am getting just as good as an education at my local community college.

Kate

My classmates are friendly, kind, and helpful. They all are great classmates.

My classmates are friendly, kind, and helpful. They all are great classmates.

Spokane Commuity College is in a great location and I love it here. There is a wonderful bus transit here.

Spokane Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.