Stanford, CA
Stanford University

Bobby

The best thing about Stanford is that there is always potential for interesting and intelligent conversations whether the people are drunk, high, or just having a regular weeknight dinner. One thing I'd change is the proportion of international students--at least 25%. I'd also like the school to be located in a big city. The school is just right in terms of size. I spend most of my time at my dorm. I really like dorm life. Stanford is very much into campus life. The college "town" is not really existent. Palo Alto shuts down every day around 8:00pm. Stanford's administration makes a point of appearing very enthusiastic and involved in student life, but when there are complaints or problems, they don't really react efficiently or appropriately. The selection process of the new Tree mascot was the biggest recent controversy on campus. Is there a lot of school pride--yes and no. It's very polarized.

There is a study pattern unique to Stanford that I've observed. Most students complain about work and talk about how they're "so behind," etc. like on most college campuses. Despite this talk, however, they are actually all doing the work. In terms of dating, there ARE people who date, but not as much as other campuses.

Yes, professors know my name. My favorite class is called "Eros in Modern American Poetry." It is an introductory seminar that only has four people in it including myself. The professor is amazing and our discussions are very animated.

The two most common stereotypes are that Stanford students study all the time (in secret even) and that they don't date. Also, there is a California culture stereotype, in which the people are laid back, hippie types or surfer dudes.

Wyatt

The best thing is filling out surveys. I'd change how few surveys there are.

The best thing is filling out surveys. I'd change how few surveys there are.

All of my experiences at stanford regard surveys

I love surveys. Thank you so much for this.

They know me as 'the survey guy'. My favourite class is statistics, where i learn about surveys.

I'm president of the Survey club, where we fill out surveys for two hours once a week

Tristan

The best thing about Stanford is the quality of the professors and students. You’re not just challenged by the academics, but by your peers as well. People feed off one another’s energy. I spent a lot of my time on campus outdoors, either hanging out on Wilbur Field or studying at Moonbeams (coffee shop). As for Palo Alto, it’s a young town but not really a college town. We would go there for food, movies, and trivia night, but it certainly wasn’t the place to go for fun. The biggest controversies on campus were around the Iraq War (there were big protests, especially early on), and around dining hall/residence employees, who would sometimes go on strike after being denied certain benefits by the administration. I doubt if either will be resolved anytime soon. One experience I’ll remember forever is Full Moon on the Quad, when everyone heads to the main quad on campus and proceeds to watch (or partake) in a giant makeout fest. The tradition is that seniors kiss freshmen, but these days everyone seems to be involved. Some people are in costumes, some people are wearing nothing at all (thank you co-ops), and some people are playing instruments. It’s a good time.

The student body is great. The best part of the school, in my opinion. I met people from countries I never knew existed (ok, well, countries I didn’t think about on a regular basis at least), and everyone was involved in extracurriculars. The only students that might feel really out of place are very poor students. It’s the one aspect of Stanford’s diversity that I thought was lacking. Everyone seems to be from at least the middle-class, and most students come from very well-to-do families. In general, students are very liberal, which sometimes clashes with the more conservative body of professors (such as the Hoover fellows). There were more independents in my Polisci 1 class than there were Republicans.

No. It?s a much more diverse place than people think. People work hard and are very self-involved, but that?s because they?re overachievers. Students come from all over the world and from different backgrounds, and they tend to be extremely open-minded. And not everyone is a ?techie?: some of the biggest majors are International Relations, English, and Biology. Stanford also has a laid-back west coast vibe.

Professors knew my name while I was a student, and I’d hope some at least still remember me. My favorite class was probably Introduction to Film, and my least favorite was definitely Statistics. Fuck that. 9 AM, 5 days a week, and a graduation requirement. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Class participation, at least in the Humanities, was very common. In fact it was expected. And we commonly had conversations outside of class, on everything from Arrested Development to Theodor Adorno. I’m sure you could call some of them intellectual. I didn’t hang out with professors much outside of class, though, and I don’t think many of my friends did either. If we wanted to see them outside of class, we would generally go to office hours.

Stanford is a competitive Division I school, so there are a lot of athletes. There are so many random clubs and organizations on campus, though, that most people seem to be involved in something or other, even if there’s not an athletic bone in their body. There are a lot of concerts and shows, from major productions at Frost Amphitheatre to little music gigs at the CoHo. It’s nice to have activities to break up your studies at night, and Stanford was good about that. The frat scene was also pretty big, but they are certainly not the only places to party. The Row, a main social spot, is made up of co-ops and theme houses as well. There are often dinners and theme parties that have nothing to do with the frat scene, but will happen alongside them.

Students are intelligent, but probably spoiled. They work too hard. They’re all computer wizzes and engineers.

Stanford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.