Stanford, CA
Stanford University

Dale

What I loved the most about Stanford was the atmosphere of such academic excellence that it was hard for me not to be motivated to do more, to learn new things, etc. Since I was an international students, I was stunned by the variety of books on my country, book that I am sure, some of the colleges at home do not possess. I appreciated the diversity of the student body and the tolerance with which we all treated each other. The entire school really prides itself for what it is - even we, the grad students, that were at Stanford for a, relatively, short period of time, enjoyed cheering our Stanford sport teams and wearing clothes with the famous 'S' ( I still love to do it!). I had only great experience with the administration and still do. Namely, when I returned home and was about to start working, I had to submit the transcripts to my employer, and I was pleased with the promptness and readiness to help by the Stanford administration. When I was not studying in the library, I enjoyed visiting the Dish or hanging around the Hoover Tower. It was such a blessing to be able to live on such a beautiful campus.

See above. In addition, I have to be honest and say that I got the impression that there exists a difference in perceptions of Stanford and its students, depending on whether a person comes to Stanford for undergraduate or graduate studies. Grad students are much more focused on the academic aspect while undergrads are pressed much harder to engage in extracurricular activities and undertake the integration process much more seriously.

It's hard to choose a favorite class, because I really enjoyed all of them, however, American Foreign Policy class with professor Blacker was the most memorable. There we had the greatest and most inspiring discussions, as well as one of the most challenging class project. In general, professors are very approachable and eager to help out and assisst even outside of classes. The students are indeed very competitive but this is something you would expect, especially when one considers Stanford's academic requirements. My department, International Policy Studies, was composed of a small group of people from various parts of the world and, perhaps surprisingly, we were quite a homogenuous crowd.

I came to Stanford from abroad and perhaps this was the reason I had had no particular traits I could have assigned to Stanford students. However, Stanford, as a university, has always been rated highly by all of my previous professors/colleauges/friends from Europe.

Jill

The BEST thing about Stanford is the people you are surrounded by, and the residential education program which makes meeting and getting to know your peers easy. There is programming right in the dorms all the time, and since such a high percentage of students live on campus, there is a real culture of dorm programming being fun, exciting, and completely worth while.

There is a HUGE amount of diversity on campus! There is a place for everyone, and people are exceptionally accepting of different backgrounds, interests, extracurriculars, clubs, and groups.

The sky is always blue, but there are a lot of less brilliant people on campus, too.

I had to work hard to get to know professors, but I didn't take many small classes. There is a huge mix of academic and non-academic students. Some students are smart and don't work very hard, but there are a lot of students who work very hard to get the grades they do. I didn't study very much my freshman and sophomore years, but my junior and senior years I had to spend about 20-30 hours a week studying to keep up with my peers.

Everyone is super smart and the sky is always blue and sunny.

Jon

It's amazing. The best and the brightest from everywhere. Admit weekend I talked middle east politics with a dude from Pakistan, then met a rock-climbing champion from somewhere in east oregon.

1.) Yes, students are laid-back on the outside but work hard. 2.) Somewhat true. People are really busy. But Palo Alto isn't bad for dates, SF is definitely awesome if you have a car. 3.) Whoever came up with that was just whining. Whine whine whine.

Freshman dorm is where you meet everyone. Alcohol policy is relatively loose compared to UC's, so people hang out and get to know each other. Friends for life are made in the freshman hall. Freshman year at STanford is summer camp. Flicks! movies every sunday night. People drink and yell at the screen during the movie. They throw paper. There's always a cartoon first. I was also in the Band freshman and sophomore year. They're crazy. lsjumb.stanford.edu. Crazy costumes and offensive halftime shows, they've been banned from major airlines and universities. I also met great friends doing hillel stuff, friday night shabbat dinners and israel speakers from Ehud Barack to Thomas Friedman. Met Muslims from all over the world I would not have had the chance to meet otherwise. I lived in a co-op junior and senior year. Vegetarian food. Consensus meetings. People who had traveled all over the world. Highest concentration of earth systems majors I had ever seen, including the earth systems building. A little crazier than I signed up for but good memories. Stanford was the 2nd university in the nation to divest from the worst companies doing business with Darfur. My buddy Ben Elberger wrote a 50-page divestment advocacy report to present to the Board of Trustees about the details of each company and their weapons-oil agreements with Sudan's government. I wrote about a paragraph of it. We raised tons of money. Apparently there's still a genocide. I saw a job posting once for "Beat Bush, Get Paid" or something like that and

1.) We're ducks, smooth sailing on the surface but paddling frantically underneath to stay afloat. 2.) No dating at Stanford. You either hook up at parties or meet in your freshman dorm and are basically married. 3.) "99% of the college girls in CA are hot, the other 1% go to Stanford"

Bobby

The best thing about Stanford is that there is always potential for interesting and intelligent conversations whether the people are drunk, high, or just having a regular weeknight dinner. One thing I'd change is the proportion of international students--at least 25%. I'd also like the school to be located in a big city. The school is just right in terms of size. I spend most of my time at my dorm. I really like dorm life. Stanford is very much into campus life. The college "town" is not really existent. Palo Alto shuts down every day around 8:00pm. Stanford's administration makes a point of appearing very enthusiastic and involved in student life, but when there are complaints or problems, they don't really react efficiently or appropriately. The selection process of the new Tree mascot was the biggest recent controversy on campus. Is there a lot of school pride--yes and no. It's very polarized.

There is a study pattern unique to Stanford that I've observed. Most students complain about work and talk about how they're "so behind," etc. like on most college campuses. Despite this talk, however, they are actually all doing the work. In terms of dating, there ARE people who date, but not as much as other campuses.

Yes, professors know my name. My favorite class is called "Eros in Modern American Poetry." It is an introductory seminar that only has four people in it including myself. The professor is amazing and our discussions are very animated.

The two most common stereotypes are that Stanford students study all the time (in secret even) and that they don't date. Also, there is a California culture stereotype, in which the people are laid back, hippie types or surfer dudes.

Wyatt

The best thing is filling out surveys. I'd change how few surveys there are.

The best thing is filling out surveys. I'd change how few surveys there are.

All of my experiences at stanford regard surveys

I love surveys. Thank you so much for this.

They know me as 'the survey guy'. My favourite class is statistics, where i learn about surveys.

I'm president of the Survey club, where we fill out surveys for two hours once a week

Tristan

The best thing about Stanford is the quality of the professors and students. You’re not just challenged by the academics, but by your peers as well. People feed off one another’s energy. I spent a lot of my time on campus outdoors, either hanging out on Wilbur Field or studying at Moonbeams (coffee shop). As for Palo Alto, it’s a young town but not really a college town. We would go there for food, movies, and trivia night, but it certainly wasn’t the place to go for fun. The biggest controversies on campus were around the Iraq War (there were big protests, especially early on), and around dining hall/residence employees, who would sometimes go on strike after being denied certain benefits by the administration. I doubt if either will be resolved anytime soon. One experience I’ll remember forever is Full Moon on the Quad, when everyone heads to the main quad on campus and proceeds to watch (or partake) in a giant makeout fest. The tradition is that seniors kiss freshmen, but these days everyone seems to be involved. Some people are in costumes, some people are wearing nothing at all (thank you co-ops), and some people are playing instruments. It’s a good time.

The student body is great. The best part of the school, in my opinion. I met people from countries I never knew existed (ok, well, countries I didn’t think about on a regular basis at least), and everyone was involved in extracurriculars. The only students that might feel really out of place are very poor students. It’s the one aspect of Stanford’s diversity that I thought was lacking. Everyone seems to be from at least the middle-class, and most students come from very well-to-do families. In general, students are very liberal, which sometimes clashes with the more conservative body of professors (such as the Hoover fellows). There were more independents in my Polisci 1 class than there were Republicans.

No. It?s a much more diverse place than people think. People work hard and are very self-involved, but that?s because they?re overachievers. Students come from all over the world and from different backgrounds, and they tend to be extremely open-minded. And not everyone is a ?techie?: some of the biggest majors are International Relations, English, and Biology. Stanford also has a laid-back west coast vibe.

Professors knew my name while I was a student, and I’d hope some at least still remember me. My favorite class was probably Introduction to Film, and my least favorite was definitely Statistics. Fuck that. 9 AM, 5 days a week, and a graduation requirement. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Class participation, at least in the Humanities, was very common. In fact it was expected. And we commonly had conversations outside of class, on everything from Arrested Development to Theodor Adorno. I’m sure you could call some of them intellectual. I didn’t hang out with professors much outside of class, though, and I don’t think many of my friends did either. If we wanted to see them outside of class, we would generally go to office hours.

Stanford is a competitive Division I school, so there are a lot of athletes. There are so many random clubs and organizations on campus, though, that most people seem to be involved in something or other, even if there’s not an athletic bone in their body. There are a lot of concerts and shows, from major productions at Frost Amphitheatre to little music gigs at the CoHo. It’s nice to have activities to break up your studies at night, and Stanford was good about that. The frat scene was also pretty big, but they are certainly not the only places to party. The Row, a main social spot, is made up of co-ops and theme houses as well. There are often dinners and theme parties that have nothing to do with the frat scene, but will happen alongside them.

Students are intelligent, but probably spoiled. They work too hard. They’re all computer wizzes and engineers.

Stanford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.