Stanford University

« See more reviews of Stanford University

One really special aspect of Stanford that I think bears mentioning is it's location in Silicon Valley. While Stanford has no undergraduate business program, there are vast resources here for students wanting to start his or her own company. If you need advice or want to learn about business, the GSB is right on campus and some classes are open to undergrads, if you are hoping to get funding for an idea, there are a million venture firms next door on Sand Hill Road. Also, the strength of the engineering program here makes it easy to find manpower for any idea you want to implement. There are also a lot of classes and programs here that support entrepreneurship, including: The Stanford Product Realization Network BASES (Business Association of Stanford Entrepreneurial Students) lots of Management Science and Engineering Classes on innovation and entrepreneurship Stanford Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Seminar (check out the website, they bring in awesome speakers) At Stanford, there are great opportunities and resources available for anyone who wants to take what they've learned in the classroom and apply it in a business venture setting, whether it's for profit, not-for-profit, social entrepreneurship etc.

My favorite aspect of life at Stanford is certainly the open-mindedness, especially with respect to the vibrant diversity that exists on campus. There are limitless opportunities at Stanford for all individuals to express themselves, regardless of race, heritage, religious ideals, political affiliations, or any other personal identifications that otherwise create barriers between students. Upon initially acquainting myself with current students during Admit Weekend when I was a high school senior, I found that they were extremely open to learn more about and understand the perspectives of their diverse peers. I appreciate that everyone is incredbly welcoming, accepting, and warmhearted.

Stanford is unique in that students are encouraged to think outside of the box. You will learn things in ways you never imagined before once you start taking a Stanford class. Poetry can be taught through neuroscience and math, medical students are required to study art history; the disciplines bridge and connect in ways never even imagined in high school. By crossing these subject boundaries, by exposing students to new paths of thought in surprising ways, the students themselves become so intellectually curious, so ready to apply new concepts to old fields. Stanford allows you to truly experience everything.

At all the schools I toured , there was a sense of community, a sense of academic excellence, and other common attributes; however, Stanford was the only school that astonished me with its numerous opportunities to get involved. Granted, it can be difficult at times to choose between the many clubs, internships, sports, fraternities/sororities, academic initiatives, outreach programs, and over 650 student organizations. The hardest lesson I had to learn this past year was the burden of over-commitment, but I do think that Stanford?s plethora of activities and ways to get involved on campus is truly unique.

Stanford is a school full of high achieving, trail blazing students, but it is a very human and diverse environment. It's population varies from self-made millionaires to students who barely made it through high school, but each one contains a flame of bright potential. People don't go to Stanford to just get an education, they come to Stanford to live in the hub of innovation for a menagerie of fields. Stanford is as much a technically ferocious school as it is strong in the humanities. Stanford is an unbelievably well rounded school in all areas.

I've seen a lot of weird stuff at Stanford, from people tying dolls/teddy bears to their bikes, to people protesting naked, to people coordinating their singing in the shower. I've also met some amazing people who are doing things I would never have thought of. On the other hand, I've met people who are too caught up in school and their future careers and have forgotten to have fun along the way. There are definitely some people here who could loosen up a little, but there are some who are having a good time.

The underground gay scene is nearly as big as the out gay scene- Craigslist and Boredatstanford are big facilitators for closeted sex, and hooking up in Green Library is definitely not unheard-of. It can be really hard to get laid, for everyone but especially for gay men because the out gay scene is uptight and gossipy, so even out gay men end up looking for sex online. It's too bad but the way it works out.

I enjoyed my freshman your greatly! It was one of the most amazing times of my life. The delicate balance between Social life and Academic life is perfectly weighted and gave me the opportunity to discover more about myself and develop to the person I am now. Great times, you should definitely consider it!

Stanford offers small class sizes, and everyone there is extremely friendly. Stanford has a unique breed of students there. We work really hard, but only compete with our own personal standard, not with the people around us. It creates an environment of stress, but without direct competetion.

Stanford offers a tight-knit community with world-class professors and facilities. It's like an Ivy League school but in the more vibrant, exciting atmosphere of northern California. People are unbelievably friendly and helpful, as well as talented and accomplished here.