Stanford, CA

Stanford University

« See more reviews of Stanford University

Stanford Duck Syndrome is something that is very prevalent at my school. It is a phrase that was coined to describe how students often try to masks the difficultites they are facing and put on a performance as if they have everything together. It can lead to feelings of isolation, insecurity, and depression if students don't realize that they are no less capable than the people around them. The name was chosen to describe how ducks looks peaceful/calm above water but, underneath the water, their feet are paddling like hell.

The worst thing about Stanford is its pressure to be happy and carefree 24/7. We have the "duck syndrome"-- we all appear serene at face value but are working as hard as we can beneath the surface and trying our best to keep it from others. I think that a more promising spproach would be to be more accepting of your own and others' weaknesses and low points-- to see that they make us who we are as much as our strengths. School is hard; there's no reason why we shouldn't embrace this fact.

The worst thing about my school is that I do not have the time to get a job. There are so many classes that I want to take and explore, leaving me with no room for a job to pay for books, personal necessities, or the university bill. I held two jobs my freshman year and that barely allowed me to pay for everything let alone pass my classes. It seems like my university bill is the worst thing about school because I simply don't have time to hold a job and 20 other units at the same time.

The worst thing I?ve experienced at Stanford is probably how much freshman dorms are segregated. It?s a little difficult to get to know other people outside your dorm for the first month or so. On that note, though, there are myriad extracurricular activities to choose from, which are a great place to meet different people! Adding to that the fact that almost every student participates in some outside activity, it?s really not too hard to meet people overall.

Potentially, the worst thing about Stanford is the cost of tuition. Luckily, the university has a large endowment so many people qualify for need based aid. Additionally, if a student has poor time management skills, Stanford can be impossibly difficult. To the students benefit, however, Stanford's application process is tough, and the admissions office ensures that all admitted students have demonstrated that they are qualified to handle the workload.

People feel like they are entitled once they come here. I also feel as though people feel like they know everything so feel the need to comment on things they know nothing about. For instance, people speak about others from different cultures, economic backgrounds, etc. with such authority even though they have no idea what they are talking about. I also feel likewe have a lot of real diversity here but people often do not take advantage of it.

The worst thing is that every need is met. It is the best thing and the worst thing. People at Stanford are isolated from the rest of the world although they are from all over the world and are constantly studying it. Luckily, there are well-developed programs for international exposure.

the housing draw is really poorly done. i'm a senior living in a one-room double in a fairly undesirable house. there are lots of great housing options, but there are also lots of TERRIBLE ones, and it's not unlikely that you could get three years of awful housing in a row.

The quarter system is both good and bad. On one hand, it allows more opportunities flexibility in choosing classes (and having time to take unrelated classes or time abroad); on the other hand, it goes by really quickly, and if you get behind it's kind of hard to catch up

I think most Stanford students will agree that the pressure to do exceptionally well academically coupled with the busy social and extracurricular life can get overwhelming at times; but once you learn to balance, it's not too much of a problem.