Stanford University Top Questions

Yushi

I would tell myself to not waste time. When you find yourself just sitting around, doing nothing or watching TV just because you don't have anything you HAVE to do, do something. You feel like time is unlimited, but college made me realize that there is so much I want to do, and so little time. If only I had the motivation and sense of time pressure when I was younger, I could've done so much more. I want to learn so many topics in math, want to learn so many programming languages, learn how to make websites and apps, work out to keep healthy, learn how to play guitar, improve my singing, etc. All of these interests I had before college, but college made me realize how much I wanted to pursue them. I see these incredible people in college who developed unique and incredible skills, and it makes me wish that I too had done more in high school. Fun does not have to be unproductive, pursuing your dreams, however small or large, is the most fun that I realized is possible.

Destiny

Academics are important, but don't make them your entire life. That is the advice I would give to me high school self. When I was in high school, I was highly ambitious and hard-working. I spent all day at school, did extra activities before and after school, and did homework as soon as I got home. While these traits were valuable in getting into college, I sometimes feel that I missed out on a lot of experiences. When you get to college, your hard work will still be very important. However, success in college is not just about test scores or a GPA. You will be expected to demonstrate passion, creativity, leadership, and critical thinking. Take time to develop passions. Learn an instrument, learn new languages, read for pleasure. When you get to college, you'll eventually do all of these things, but start now. One day, you'll realize that grades aren't everything. Right now, it's probably difficult not to define yourself by your achievements. Take time to do something you love and create an identity for yourself outside of school. And keep up the good work.

Ravina

You are about to experience one of the best times of your life. Come out of your shell and shed that old high school self. You can be anyone you want to be, both academically and socially. First off, advising from day one is critical. Find someone you connect with (a professor, mentor). Ask questions and learn from them. Second, do not limit yourself to making only one or two friends whom you stick to all four years. Make many many friends. Be the friendliest version of you; there is no point in being shy. Choose your extracurricular activities wisely. Sororities and fraternities can be enticing because of their social value, but be wary they do not get in the way of your academic endeavors. Partying can begin to consume you if you let it become a part of your weekly life. Do not make it a priority but instead do it once in a while. Do not ever let anyone make you feel uncomfortable or unsafe particularly in romantic situations. You may find yourself unsure of how to say no if unwanted advances are made. Be strong, know what you want/don't want, and do exactly that.

Chris, I want you to refrain from being humble and remind yourself in the future: you genuinely deserve to be at Stanford. You are intellectually affluent. You are modest, compassionate, endearing, perspicacious, magnanimous, gregarious, aesthetically imaginative. You are composed of your mother’s tenacity, your father’s diligence, your grandmother's infinite affection, your younger brothers' naiveté and curiosity, your best friend's undeniable fidelity, your teachers' amaranthine encouragement. Oftentimes you deprive yourself of acquiring inner peace and experiencing true euphoria by incessantly comparing yourself to others. Don't morph your identity in order to impress your peers and don't associate yourself with those who force you to compromise your morals; you are the people you surround yourself by and your opinion of yourself preponderates all others. Don't define yourself by the goals you failed to accomplish or the obstacles you failed to surmount, but by the triumphs and the individuals that molded you into the eternally exuberant and persistently passionate human being you are today. And lastly, I want for you to live in such a way that if anyone should speak poorly of you, no one else would believe it.

Trinity

You're going to enter college and feel out of place at first. Don't freak out about this. You know all the other freshmen in your dorm? Yeah... the ones who seem like they have everything together? I'm going to let you in on a little secret: THEY DON'T. They're just as confused as you are. They're just as worried about whether or not they can do Stanford work and not flunk out as you are. When you get there, it won't seem like it- people will be hanging out with each other until 4am, raging, and exclaiming excitment over having freedom for the first time in their life- but it is. Be yourself. Don't feel the need to go along with this act. It will mean the most to you to find friends who are secure in themselves and, more importantly, who actually like you for you instead of the person you're pretending to be. Find that group early and hold on tight to them. Because them, God, and your family- not how much you know or how much you study- are what will really get you through Stanford.

Nadia

I could tell you what to do. Don’t take that class--you’re just doing it because everyone else is. Don’t wait so long to come out--everyone already knows and no one cares. Don’t forget to lock your bike--it’s going to be stolen!I could tell you what to do, yes, but I won’t. Why? Because the sum of my experiences is who I am, and I like who I am. You’re obstinate enough to ignore me anyway.So don’t change a thing, but prepare yourself. Recognize that not everything will happen on your timeline. You’re literally going to make yourself sick trying to get the grades, the girl, the perfect body. Take a step back and take care of yourself, love. Open yourself up to other people. Being vulnerable is part of life and you will miss out if you don’t trust. You’re a great judge of character and your friends will recognize just how much you’re worth. Those people in high school weren’t really your friends. These people are.Oh, and yes, she likes you back. Also, lock your bike!Your friend,Nadia

Things get better. That fog that you swear is going to consume you will fade away. You will soon see clearly that all the exhausting years of work were worth it. You are going to receive an opportunity greater than you had ever imagined; you're going to have the courage to take it. You're going to attend one of the greatest universities in the world. You're going to make incredible friends. You're going to fall in love. So hold on! Hold on to your sanity; take a nap! Hold on to your high school friends; go out to the movies. Hold on to your family; listen to their stories at dinner. I promise you that a new adventure is coming and it will blow you away. But you can't ever truly go back once you start this new journey. You can't bring the friends you've known since you were toddlers or the parents that loved and raised you. So cherish them. Right now. Text, call, hug, do whatever it takes so that they know that they are loved. And when you take your first steps into Stanford University, know that things are better.

Katrice

I always imagined what the world would be like if my great-grandmother was alive. She was born and raised in North Carolina: it was her home, her vestige, the special memento she kept in her back pocket. She would always pull it out to reflect on a memory or piece of advice before we left for a big trip. I liked that about her. I always imagined what she’d say before I left for college. I imagined it like this: We’re sitting on our front porch in Pendleton, North Carolina and she says, “Gal, if there is one thing you should remember before college, it’s this: Stay away from the moonshine. Yes, the moonshine. All those mixtures, colors, and flavors ain’t nothing but a way for you to start tipping, dragging and falling all the way home. And before you start tipping and dragging, remember, them men will follow after you and a lot of 'em won’t be nice.” I’d like to think what she was alluding to was college depredation. I knew that was just her way of keeping me safe. It's also the thing I'd tell my college self.

Go out and party. Stay in and study. Don’t feel guilty for either. Never doubt your abilities or question your place at Stanford - time spent feeling insecure could be time spent engaging in far more worthwhile activities. Appreciate and give in to the madness that is college life; never again will you get to live surrounded by your best friends. Even if they make you crazy sometimes, have fun while they are so close. -You’ll meet many, many people you disagree with but they will sharpen your worldviews far more than the ones you agree with. You won’t like the hook-up dating culture at college but enjoy being single. You'll meet someone amazing after college that'll make those dating frustrations worth it. At times it might seem like you’re never going to graduate, but by the end you’re going to look back in such disbelief at how fast these four years go. Above all, hold fast to your sense of humor and open mind. They’ll allow you to enjoy the good times and laugh off the stressful ones, making a ton of memories and life-long friends along the way.

Sachie

When I applied to Stanford, I saw it as a reach school-- I honestly didn't think I'd get in. For the schools I thought I could attend, the pressure to write the perfect application was so intense, it was hard to find what I wanted to say. However, I took the shortest amount of time to apply to Stanford, and because I didn't believe I'd get in the pressure disappeared and the answers flowed. Ironically, I got into Stanford by accidentally being myself. I honestly think that if I'd treated my Stanford application with same trepidation as the other schools', I woudn't have been able to accomplish this. If I were to advise my past self, I would tell myself (and others), that you should never think to know your true worth. Your honest self is your best self, and your ability is as high as your ambition-- if you never try for something, there's a 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} chance that you won't get it. I still walk to class and wonder at how I got here, and all I can say is that I'm unbelievably thankful that I convinced myself to try.

Anika

Don't be shy! College is fun and the people are amazing! The first few months are when everyone is the most open and the most willing to make friends. Don't miss out by being self-conscious. Be yourself, because that's who everyone will get to know in the end. You might as well be comfortable from the beginning. Go out, meet people, and leave that comfort zone. There's no better place to take risks and explore :)

I'd tell myself not to waste time trying to struggle through a list of majors I didn't enjoy in order to "prove" that I was worthy of attending Stanford, but to devote myself to the path I'd already been focused on before I ever applied to college (studio art and computer science, younger me). I'd also tell myself to go ahead and make that personal transition I'd been avoiding for two years, because without it I'd have a hard time really feeling comfortable with myself, and as a result, a harder time feeling happy with where I was. Stanford's a fantastic school, and I just wish it hadn't taken me two years of struggling with myself to really start appreciating it!

I would tell myself not to wait to go to school, that I could have a family, work and go to school and still do great at all of those things. I would tell myself to work hard and not take it for granted because once you are out of high school you are thrown out into the real world and it is a hard road. I would say that life only gets better but it is a job to keep it heading in that direction and never give up or loose faith, everything will work out. My main statement to myself would be to keep living your life the way you do by helping people that need it and giving your time and heart to situations that need someone's attention because even though it does not seem like it does everything you do comes back to you. Make everything count.

As the saying goes, "hindsight is 20/20." Having gone through college, I am now able to decipher the lessons that, had I known them as a high school senior, would have improved my college experience. Perhaps the most important thing I would tell myself is to make friends your freshman year of college. While academics are a crucial part of the college experience, a solid social life and the merging of new friendships is just as vital to make the college experience enjoyable. I was overly pre-occupied with getting good grades my freshman year of college and unfortunately it set the tone for a damper social life the remainder of the 4 years I was there. I would emphasize to my high school self that loneliness and isolation can really take its toll on a college student and that as hard as it is to move to a new state and a new environment, it becomes that much more difficult when you have to do it alone. Had someone bestowed this information on me as a high school senior, I am certain that my college experience would have been full of more fun, laughter, and enjoyment.

Amy, as you begin your college journey there is little I can say that will prepare you for what you are about to experience. All I can offer you is an insight that I hope you will recall and that will reassure you along the way. The greatest transition that you will struggle with at Stanford is the process of defining yourself. This quest to establish your identity will be influenced by your academics and activities, but most prominently by the people you encounter. Placed in an atmosphere of diverse people who are accustomed to incredible levels of success you will find yourself frequently questioning whether you deserve to be here, questioning the value of your opinion, and even questioning the very basis of your beliefs. In these circumstances, I encourage you to realize the power of your perspective and how it can positively influence others. Always remember that the fruits of conversations with those whom you may not readily (or ever) agree may be picked with frustration, but each one you have will hone your ability to respectfully debate as well as propel you down the path of defining who you are and what you believe.

I would tell myself to enjoy my time as a minor while I still could. High school should have been a fun, carefree time. Instead of relaxing, I worked two jobs. In reflection, I know that work was a major player in my growth and development, but I did not fully partake in traditional high school experiences. I missed football games, dances and various other school related events because I had to work. I would also tell myself to network better. I realized too late that the professor I worked under and the people I met wanted to help me along in my journey. I guess it was foolish pride that led me to deny the help of others. I have changed my ways after listening to a particular speaker, but I still wish I would have known sooner. When an influential figure expresses interest in one's work or life, this notion of kindness should not be taken lightly.

Evelyn

As a high school senior, I was a self-righteous and lazy teenager. I would snub my university bound peers for submitting to a path demanded by their parents. I was eager for freedom from a system that I believed had imprisoned me, and thoroughly believed that I could live the rest of my life without actual responsibility. If I had the ability to speak with myself, as an adult to a child, I would seize her by the shoulders and tell her to stop being arrogant. The path to any success, I would say, will not be paved for you because you feel you are entitled to it. I would tell her that being an adult means confronting barriers that will force you to rethink your strategy. She would protest and exclaim that she can survive without structure, and that she would rather indulge in her immediate desires. With gentleness and empathy, I will have said that her perspective must change, and that her narrow worldview will only evolve if she pursues higher education. I would say: Be objective about this. Imagine what damage those years of wasted time will do to that mind? Why waste your potential?

I would advise myself to take full advantage of all the extracurricular and group activities. Going to College is a big change and it’s easier to transition the more involved you feel in the college and on the campus. Also, becoming involved in things outside of class is a great way to make new friends and the more groups you’re involved in the more connections you have. While you should take full advantage of extracurricular activities do not lose focus on why you are there, and always put your grades and classwork first. It’s easy to get distracted in a new school with new friends and more freedom but remember that you’re paying money for an education that will determine your future. Don’t waste money or time and make the most of everything and every experience.

Gerald

“Don’t worry, there is a place for everyone to fit in at college!” Throughout my high school year I was anxious about the academic and more importantly social aspect of college. Now completing my first year, I would definitely recommend to think less of fitting in at college and more of enjoying the time you have with high school friends and preparing yourself financially for college. Members of the college’s student body come from various backgrounds, so finding one’s niche is easier than most perceive. Nurturing those high school friendships is most important, so that they have a chance of surviving the “friend-weaning” process known as college freshman year. The second important piece of advice is the need to search for outside scholarships and grants. Being a strong academic, I mistakenly thought that colleges would throw money my way because of my elite test scores and outstanding G.P.A. High school seniors need to focus their spare time away from school and friends looking for outside sources of money. Schools’ budgets are constantly becoming thinner and to ensure that you do receive the aid that you deserve, you need to diligently search for your money.

Tonya

If I could go back in time and converse with myself as a high school student, I would definitely have a "package of possibilities" on hand. Growing up there was no one around to motivate me and show me that there was more to life than what I had experienced. My siblings will be in high school soon and it will be as if I really am going back to my high school days. I try to give them all the advice I wish I could have received. I grew up blinded to the endless amount of opportunities and deaf to the sound of dreams. I could only visualize that which I experienced and knew. I grew up surrounded by death, poverty, and the notion that I was to be content with what I had. It took joining the military, seven years of "reconstruction," to open my mind to all things I will accomplish. It would be pretty awesome to have the ability to go back in time, taking an opportunity to open my mind to the world of possibilities, but I'm going to get this chance with my siblings and nothing can beat that.

I have/will obtain the skills i need to assist me in my future to better provide for my son and me. With out this education i would not be able to aford the things we need on a day to day basis and would be extreamely diffacult to assist my son when he goes to college. I have also learned how to better manage my time, and be more efficent in daily task.

So far I have learned that College is a privalege and not a right, and that if you dont do your work and try your best then you will fail, because college is not like high school where you are hand feed everything. In college no one cares about you and you are on your own and must learn things by yourself.

Karina

Well since I have never attended any college before, the experience I am going through right now is chaotic, yet it is a relief toknow that I will sonn be attenting to college. And I think it will be valuable in the end because then I could become a great person in the future, so it is worth all of the struggle I am going through.

Grant

Within this first quarter of Stanford, I've acccrued the cliche college catch; a new, great circle of friends, a wider and more inquisitive and accepting view of the world, a humbling of my accomplishments, and volumes of knowledge and sharper, stronger problem solving skills. Beyond the generic college improvements, I've gone from an occasional runner to a dedicated athlete practicing four times a week for Stanford's ultimate frisbee team. This novel experience for me has renovated my health and clearly demonstrated the value of a strong, active body, a good diet, and a plentiful, daily dose of sleep. This sport has ultimately given me a strong body to augment and accelerate the growth of a strong mind. Moreover, the Stanford sports team community and mentality is a truly rewarding experience - a tightly knit family of intellectually hungry scholars who are dedicated to lively a holistically good life through a strong body and mind. In addition to the value of this community and a health body, Stanford's myriad of brilliant, hungry intellectuals has bombarded my mind with a plethora of inspiring ideas and accomplishments that has exponentiated my hunger for intellectual growth and improvement.

Chenxing

Though I had my hesitations and considered a smaller liberal arts college, in retrospect, no other place could have given provided a richer, more dynamic place to learn and grow into a young adult with strong values. I've gained lifelong friends, strong communications skills, deep connections not just on campus but also around the world, and and most of all, the courage to carve an alternative path as I continue my learning and growth beyond my undergraduate years. As a Chinese American passionate about Buddhist and interfaith chaplaincy, the hospice movement, feminist issues, and social justice, my interests often raise eyebrows. But this path feels just right for me, and I'm deeply indebted to the people I met at Stanford who encouraged me to find my true calling: from my partner of three years to some best friends I still keep in touch with to my honors thesis advisor--all continue to be avid, nonjudgmental champion and supporters in my unfolding journey--something I never experienced growing up. Through the academic, religious/spiritual, and social/emotional opporunties--and challenges--that Stanford offered, I am well-equipped for what lies ahead.

Being that I go to a community college and you always hear negative remarks about them, I'm happy to say that my experience has been nothing but a pleasant one. I'm met multiple students who have helped me along the way and I'm glad to have shared this college experience with them. I'd definitely consider a few of them close friends and will continue to establish our relationships. Additionally, I'm happy to share that I have had some amazing professors who have helped get me right back on track since I was out of school for over 9 years. I now feel confident enough to move forward in my education and hopefully get into a nursing school so I can become a registered nurse.

My college experiance has changed me, I was more of a slacker in High School but working and being a full time college student has matured me. I have gotten my priorities straight and learned to manage my life wisely. My college experiance has helped me face reality and grow up.

Mitchell

It would almost be easier to name what I haven't get out of my college experience so far. I have made lifelong friends, met fantastic faculty, listened to very inspirational speakers and been exposed to opportunities I would not expect in my wildest dreams, all while getting a top-of-the-line educational experience at one of the most prestigious universities in the United States. Although I am just a sophomore, the things I have experienced so far at Stanford have far exceeded anything I could have ever imagined. It's scary to think that I've only been here for a little over a year and have seen what I have seen. How much more could I possibly get (or expect) out of my college experience?

Connor

College so far has been an experience like no other, at once intellectually stimulating, completely new, and yet strangely comfortable. I fit in better here than anywhere else I've been before -- high school, my track team, the choir I was in for 10 years. I love the atmosphere of intellectual purpose that one finds in college, and the fact that there's a just-as-important common goal of meeting the greatest people you can meet, learning as much as you can about life, and discovering what it is that you might want to do once you leave the (formal , at least) educational system. Whether I'm cycling in the hills of the Portola Valley, studying until 2am in my dorm, frantically working out a proof on my midterm, or just sitting down on the grass and watching the world go by, college is the most fulfilling experience I've had so far. I have high hopes for my remaining years, and no doubts that these hopes will be realized.

A college education will pave my path towards my goal of becoming a journalist. I have found journalism as a way not only to bring a story to my readers/viewers but as a way to take them with me as I journey from our own backyards to the other side of the world. Sharing builds bridges across societal vantage points, ethnic, racial and cultural divides and paves a path that that can lead to togetherness and harmony; a unity and awareness that could potentially lead towards the betterment of the world.

Olonda

To secure a good job I know that I need a degree and a good education. My college experience has given me skills that i can utilize and develop to secure a electronics engineering position. By attend college I have gained a talent for quickly mastering technology and the ability to maintain a sense of humor under pressure. And I know when I graduated on sept.,2011 after receiving training in computer and electronics engineering technology with extensive laboratory experience from ITT Technical Institute. I will be motivated to secure a job where I can be a business Professional with an associate college degree.

Chia

My freshman year will definitely be unforgettable. The people that I've met have changed my life. The jobs that I took has left me with more skills than I thought possible. The friends that I made have taught me so much about life, making me see the whole picture, making me understand why certain things occur and so much more. I am so thankful to have met and made so many friends at college. The faculty has exceeded my limitations. They believe in me, even if there are a hundred students in the class, the professors have reached out to me and that is what matters the most to me. To know that it is important I succeed and excel. That is the greatest feeling in the world. My professors have taught me about myself and have definitely helped me grow as a person inside and out. My experience with everyone and everything will forever remain priceless. Nothing will be able to replace the feeling of belonging and acceptance as I did that first year of college. It truly has been a valuable experience and I am eager to explore the next three years with everything and everyone.

ELIGIO

I became a very innovative hands-on executive with exemplary record of leading large manufacturing including design and development of high technology products, improving processes and procedures to drive revenue, efficiency, and market share. I became a results-oriented visionary and exemplified explified unique background in high volume manufacturing, new product introduction and commercialization, engineering project management in the Decommissioning, BioTechnology, PC-Server and TeleComputing industries. I have provided integrated and strategic solutions and change agent to key stakeholders by delivering real value-add resolution and sustainable solutions. I became versatile in eCommerce, engineering services, database, systems integration, merger and acquisition. I have developed strong strategic and long-range planning abilities; skilled in setting up services, products and technology strategies in B2C (business-to-customer) and B2B (business-to-business) environments. Diverse background in technical services, project management, engineering, design, development, database, maintenance, inspection, testing, risk management, fabrication, production, volume manufacturing, supply chain, user experience, network operations, quality assurance, compliance, customer support, marketing and sales functions.

If asked to sum up what I have gotten out of my college experience in one word, it would be impossible. There are so many things you learn in college, even in the one year I have been at Stanford. For me it would be for things: intellect, diversity, maturity, and confidence. Intellect is obvious: we go to college to learn from class, right? But it is so much more than that. Stanford University has a campus full of diverse backgrounds and personalities, and in the short time I have been there, the people that I have encountered have diversified my perspective on life. I have gained maturity from conquiring obsticales, both social and academic, that I never knew I would face; from that I acquired confidence. From the challenges and triumphs, I have embarked on a journey to become a strong, well-rounded woman, and the experience I have had so far only makes me welcome the road ahead: bring it on.

Madeline

I have only been in college for five months. During that time, however, I have gained an incredible amount of independence. I have always sought independence. But in college, I find that I actually am able to exercise this independence in a mature way ? something that I had always hoped would be the case. Another thing that I have gotten out of my brief college experience is an understanding of how important it is to make strategic plans (about courses, summer jobs, long-term goals) and to take the initiative to what is necessary execute those plans so that I do not make mistakes that could rob me of an opportunity. I have been blessed with a wonderful opportunity to attend Stanford University where so much is offered , and I want to take advantage of every minute of it.

My original major in college was Music. Music really enhanced my creativity. I took about twenty years off school in which I worked in Political Fundraising and Political Polling. I worked as a political fundraiser for the Republican Party of Texas and the Republican National Committee. I was the leading fundraiser in my division at both of those organizations. I have also worked as a pollster for Gallup Organization, where I was the leading pollster on the Tarrance and Associate poll, which emphasized the stregnths of Republican candidates and the weaknesses of their Democratic opponents. I returned to school about six years ago as a Political Science major. I have about a year's credit hours in Political Science. I'm classified as a college Junior. It is my ambition to complete my degree using UNLV and online classes. I would greatly appreciate you considering me as a scholarship candidate. Completing my degree has been an objective of mine for about thirty years. Sincerely yours, Michael R. Thompson

My college experience has been one of growth and new experiences. It has been invaluable for me to meet new people from different parts of the country and the world and to learn that we all have a common bond--to learn, to grow and to expand our knowledge. By attending college, I have also learned what it is like to be more independent, open-minded and appreciative of the gifts that each one of us has to offer. Finally, I have had the opportunity to take classes in subject areas that I might not have ventured into if I had not attended college and that has allowed me to expand my mind.

Randy

Retrospect is always 20/20 and this applies extensively to the naive high school senior I was while preparing to start college in September. I would remind myself that the reason I was so successful and happy in high school is because I was myself. As simple as this seems, it is something that took me some time to realize in high school and something I forgot during my first week of college. Stanford has a weeklong orientation the week before classes in which I tried to impress everyone and do everything I possibly could. By the end of the week, I felt overwhelmed, lonely, and undeserving of my acceptance to such a renowned institution. It took wise words from my girlfriend to remind me to stop worrying about what others thought and to do what made me happy and nothing more. They are words that I wish I would?ve heard before orientation because once I embraced that wisdom, I felt a large weight fall off of my shoulders. When I finally stepped back and stopped stressing out over trying to get everyone to like me, I found myself happy and feeling at home with a few good friends.

Sheel

I would make sure that I took some to do introspection so I understood the real reason I was coming to college. Yes, learning in the classroom is critical, and probably of the utmost importance. However, it is also of critical importance to make lasting relationships and robust networks outside of the classroom. These, in the professional world, will prove to be invaluable. Socially, they will be your best friends and friends for life. I would make sure that I was able to balance my social life and academic life through accountability, in the shape of schedules and planning. I would tell myself to do things that force me to break out of my comfort zone; have experiences that I couldn't have anywhere else and take me out of my bubble. I have found that I learn more from these experiences, even though they are harder, than from anything else. Finally, I would try and have more guts to go in and talk with world-renowned professors. They have an unbelievable wealth of knowledge that they are always willing to share with students. It is up to us to go seek it.

The first piece of advice I would give my high-school self would be to remain focused from the very beginning. During high school, I was easily able to balance my studies with community service and extracurriculars. I approached college with the same mentality and bit off way more than I could chew my first quarter at Stanford, starting with an absurd number of units, as well as signing up for several on-campus groups. Furthermore, the exciting people I met there made it easy to get swept away in social activities. I ended up dropping classes, finding it hard to adjust to the fast-paced work schedule, and let my extracurricular involvement slide. I would tell my high school self to approach college more seriously, take on a more reasonable work load and then really devote my energies to excelling in those courses/activities. Although college is about self-discovery and meeting new people, I would remind myself to strike a delicate balance between social endeavors and academics; both communication and technical knowledge and skill will play essential roles in my future as a doctor.

DiAngelo

I would like to finish my senior year with a better record during my football season. I was the Quarterback for my team and I would have like to complete in the next level of the area-playoffs. I had a Great Senior year! I wish I could of done more activities my freshman year, or had some kind of guidiance then.

My current goals for my career are to go to medical school and work to become an anesthesiologist after I graduate from Stanford. In order to acheive these goals, I have participated in programs and groups on campus that have been giving me insight as to what I will need to do to gain entrance into a good medical school. If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would definitely recommend improved study habits and better attention to AP exams. I realize now that I could have placed out of many freshman classes had I scored higher on these exams and took them much more seriously. Attending college at a major university has forced me to be a much better student, at times relearning key concepts brushed over in high school. I believe my time in high school should have included more time reading current events and learning self-discipline tools. As I mature, learning becomes less of a chore and more of a quest for knowledge and self-understanding.

Jena

Enjoy your time at home. Enjoy your friends. Stop thinking about college because it?s coming no matter how much you stress about it. You?ll be fine wherever you end up, and, though the rejection letters hurt quite a bit, you?ll end up happier than you could?ve imagined. Honestly, the school you will attend doesn?t matter nearly as much as the attitude you have going into it. Be happy that you?re able to get such an opportunity, an opportunity to learn and grow in a whole new environment! Be happy that you have family and friends that support that growth and will help you in any way that they can. Take this attitude with you when it?s time to leave for college, but don?t forget to enjoy yourself in the time before you get there. Senior year and summer passes quicker than any other time in your life so far. So, though you?re anxious and excited for what is to come (as you should be!) don?t get caught up in the future until you?re actually there. It?s waiting patiently for you.

Work harder than you ever have. Don't ever skip a class. Have fun... but only because you work hard and play hard.

Ronald

College is like spending a day at the amusement park with the fastest, tallest rides and the most entertaining games. Between studying, meeting best friends, and doing extracurricular activities, one can have a great experience. With limited time, it seems logical to run as fast as possible in order to ride every roller coaster and play every game. But, it?s very important not to run too fast, trip, or run out of energy too soon. Trying to do too much too fast will prevent you from enjoying each activity to the fullest and might hurt you in the long run. Fortunately, college gives you plenty of time to explore your interests, ride your favorites, and play every game. Some people even find a passion, talent, or skill in a particular field and enjoy devoting the majority of their time to it. Just as you might get a little dizzy on a ride or two at an amusement park, sometimes classes may be quite taxing. Just as the tickets and food for theme parks are often overpriced, so too is rising tuition costs and fees. Just be sure to remind yourself why you came there in the first place.

One of the most important features of a successful college experience is efficient time-management. Your intelligence, skills, and even attitude become ineffective without managing your time properly. Avoid habits and attitudes that may lead to procrastination, neglectfulness, etc. in all aspects of your college experience, whether academic or social. In doing so, there will be time for most of your interests and any new ones you may wish to pursue. Since college offers many new and exciting opportunites, it would be a good idea to experience as many as you can. To do so, however, again requires you to manage your (limited) time well. It is therefore of the utmost importance to do so. By adopting this mentality and developing habits conducive to managing your time well, your experience at college will be richer and more fullfilling than you can possibly imagine.

Francine

Find something you are passionate about and affect change towards that cause.

Derwin

One thing I would tell myself is to obtain employment during the school year. and budget properly Even though I had an abundance of scholarships, working during the school year would have allowed me to save up enough money to cover living expenses to pursue an unpaid internship over the summer. Another thing I would tell myself is to get involved in more student groups to get to know more students with common interests and goals. The last thing I would tell myself is not to be afraid to ask for help with academics. There are plenty of resources I can take advantage of and I have no need to be embarrassed about needing assistance.

If I could give myself any advice, it would be to not be afraid of changing your mind about what you want to do. Going to college opens up a multitude of experiences available, and it's okay to try something and decide you don't enjoy it. It's easy to just go to classes and fill up your free time with socializing with all the new friends you'll make, but it's important to keep challenging yourself with new activities and new ideas - that's the only way you'll find out what you're passionate about. You don't have to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life, even if everyone around you seems to have figured it out already (they haven't). Just try to find something that is interesting to you, something that motivates you to work toward something that isn't a grade or a line on a resume. And enjoy yourself! Don't take life too seriously - you're not in the real world just yet.

Homie check it, college is exactly what you think it is, partying and stress. Make sure you go to a school that has plenty of financial aid because that is the number one most important factor, it doesn't help to go to a good school if you are going to finish in debt thousands of dollars. Alcohol rules campuses, period. Most parties will have a majority of its constituents drunk and, frankly, are only fun if they are attended drunk. Hot girls don't go to smart schools, if you find that it is important that potential relationships with attractive women are available apply for a school that isn't prestigious, there are more attractive women there. Make sure that you apply for PLENTY of scholarships when you are a high school senior, people love giving money to seniors, but not as much for people already in college... go figure. Be prepared to come in to an environment which has most of the kids enjoying their freedom from their parents for the first time, which leads to plenty of encounters with alcohol or other drugs, especially on prestigious campuses.