Galveston, TX
Texas A & M University-Galveston

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas A & M University-Galveston

Stephenee

A&M Galveston was a last minute application for me. We were running out of time and my dad sent a link saying, "Check out this school." I checked it out and my decision was made before I even visited the prospective student tab. The school visit sealed the deal. Two years later I'm still in love with Aggieland by the Sea. As a sister school of main campus, we still embody all of the spirits and traditions held at main campus. I could be happier with the decision I made to attend this college.

Priscilla

Despite the sub-par food, limited tutoring avalibility, and lack of sports to participate in, TAMUG is a genuinely good school. The classes are small enough for you and your professor to gain a relationship to work toward your success, the professors are passionate, and everybody knows everybody. Whether you're staying here to transfer to main campus, or if you're staying here for all four, you'll definitely feel at home.

Mehrunisa

My school solely focuses on the maritime industry, that's what makes it so unique from other schools I considered. Evey degree available is to prepare you for the different maritime fields. From maritime administration to marine biology to marine engineering and plenty others, it all has to do with the water and the nautical involvements. Another thing that makes my school very unique from the other schools is that it's very small. There are only about 2,100 students and I love how everytime you turn a corner, you see someone you know.

I would tell myself to get prepared for the most awesome experience I'll ever have in my life. College is about finding yourself and taking on new chances, all while managing a superior GPA and having a satisfying social life. Get ready to study loads and loads of information all for one big test, and then recharging for the next one in two weeks. It's wild and crazy all at the same time, but yet, you surprise yourself by passing that big test with flying colors anyway. When it comes to school and the classes that prepare you, I would make an emphasis that Texas A&M University's academics are no joke. That fro yo date with the cute guy from your chemistry class can wait because if you put it off and procrastinate, it will take a toll on you. One bad grade can have you worrying for days and stressing out about it when that low mark could have been avoided. Work hard and you will be rewarded tremendously and hey, that fro yo date makes for an awesome way to congratulate yourself on your hard work!

What I wish I had known before I attended this fine institution, was that keeping focused on studies is very essential. Texas A&M University at Galveston and the campus in College Station, TX is known for the hardworking students and rigorous academics. I wish I would have known that there is absolutely no time to slack off and procrastinate. A lot of time is needed to study and complete assignments and sometimes, it's hard to balance that and a social life too. In the end, it is all worth it, so don't worry.

One very unique aspect of my school is the location and specialization. Texas A&M Galveston is located not only right on Galveston Island, but directly in the channel. You can walk out of class and touch the ocean. This gives our campus a one up on study opporunities. The school has the ability to give students in marine fields a hands on experience due to their location. The other unique property the school has is its specialization in marine based study. It is one of the only schools on the southern coast of the US to offer these degrees.

There are a few things I did right and wrong for college. First off, do not be afraid to take a lot of your personal belongings from home. Your dorm room is not a box! You will have plenty of room for your belongings, and you will probably end up bringing them later. Plus, having your personal belongings sure makes being away from home in a dorm a lot more comfortable. Second, go crazy making friends. Making friends makes the change from home to college a lot easier. You will need people to talk to who feel the same. There is a 99% chance the people you see are new to the school. Saying hi just may make a new and helpful friend. Do not look down at the sidewalk just because you walk past someone new. Finally, go to school for what you want and love. Do not be talked out of persuing the degree of your dreams just because it does not have the same income as another. Do consider future finances but do not let them make the decision. If you do not love your degree what makes you thing you will love your future job? Exactlly!

The most appealing aspect of Texas A&M Galveston is the small campus feel and small classes. It is very easy to get one-on-one time with professors if you need assistance. Every teacher on the campus is more than happy to help if you go to their office. The size of the campus allows students to walk from class to class without a bike or car in 5 to 10 minutes tops. The campus size does not affect the quality of buildings or the equipment inside. The school is just as prestigious as any other 4 year university.

If I had the chance to send some advice to my high school senior self, I'd share quite a mouthful. 1. Stand up for yourself. It's not worth it to take abuse from people who have no right in the world to say you're less than them. 2. The boys in college will, contrary to your experience in high school, be interested in you. You might find out that some of them are scumbags, but hey, it's all part of life. 3. Stop stressing; you'll make yourself sick. You can't change anything you're stressing about. 4. Appreciate the food Mom cooks. Just do it. You'll be living on burnt hamburgers for the next few years. 5. Talk to Gran more, even though it's tiring to answer the same questions over and over. She won't remember you in a year. 6. And finally, you WILL make friends. They'll be the best friends you've ever had, and you'll have so much fun when you're together. So quit worrying and make the most of your senior year. You'll be walking across that stage before you know it.

Texas A&M at Galveston is my absolute dream school. My professors all want the best for their students, I get hands-on experience within classes for my major, I have access to fantastic resources for my courses, and to top it all off, I live at the beach. I'm making better grades than I ever did in high school, but I'm enjoying myself and actually learning (rather than strict regurgitation of the class onto a test). So far, I've had a fantastic experience at my university.

To be completely honest, the worst part about Texas A&M Galveston is the required meal plan. The school recently underwent changes in dining services, and the new outsourced service not only serves the worst food I've ever experienced on a college campus, but they refuse to work with my specific--and not uncommon--dietary needs. Other than that, I haven't run into any real negatives about the school itself.

Caitlyn

The classmates in which I attend class with are all extremly outgoing and nice. Texas A&M is known for its friendly people, and that tradition is true in Galveston. Although Galveston, like any other school, is very diverse in its students, the students themselves are all very united. On game days, the air is filled with excitment, no matter you preference to football, everyone is gathered, watching the game and cheering.

My advice to myself would be to save up your money. Everyone talks about how college life is full of cheap pizza and no extra "spending" cash, but I never really thought about that fact until I actually began to look at the amount of money is needed to survive.

Any kind of person is welcome with open arms at Texas A&M Galveston, but since this school is very friendly, people who are not nessecarily friendly will probably not fit in as well as someone who welcomes a journey with a smile.

Lisa

Do not wait to go to college. The transition from high school to college is so much easier than trying to work a full time job and attend college full time. Most of the courses can be tailored to fit any time frame needed. There is more financial aid available to those students attending college straight out of high school.

Darrell

When reflecting back to when i was a high school senior, knowing what i know now, I would have told myself to start looking at where i wanted to transfer too after community college earlier than i did. I would have told myself to start narrowing my choices down in the beginning so that I could have made a final decision early in my college path. By making that choice earlier rather than later, I would have had an easier time choosing which specific general education classes to take at community college. I would have been able to choose classes that applied to my associate degree and that were transferrable towards my four-year university and my bachelor's. By waiting as long as I did, i risked having to go back and take extra classes as well as noticing classes i did take that were not necessary for my degrees.

John

College life is not as easy as many people think and one needs to be well prepared to work hard in order to accomplish his/her goals. First of all schedule your time well allowing for class and personal study time. Then ensure that you attend all class lessons unless there is an emergency. If any make sure you inform your instructor and try as much as possible to catch up with all the class work that you missed during your absence. Next make sure you are attentive in class and take all lecture notes as much as you can, If you miss on any point please do ask your instructor as they are always ready and willing to help and support you achieve your career goals. Next make sure you do all home work and assignments given by your instructor as this contributes to most of the final grade. Incase you fail in any you seek for tutoring services. Most colleges offer this for free to all their students and they have very professional tutors. Finally make sure you stick to your career objective and don’t get waived away by friends or college life style.

The students at A&M Galvestion are very diverse, but all connected by a love of the ocean resources.

I am not sure that I would give myself any advice. I really enjoyed college and learned a great deal academically, spiritually, and phisically. I do wish that I had gotten to know my professors better and made a few more connections because it would make going to graduate school easier.

The marine biology program is actually quite difficult. You should not go if you just want to 'hug dolphins.' You should go if you want a good biology education.

Texas A & M University-Galveston administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.