The Evergreen State College

« See more reviews of The Evergreen State College

People that attend The Evergreen State College don't go here for a degree... They go for an education. With a curriculum that gives hands on experience in the field, it is hard not to learn everything you want to learn about an individual subject. It is easy to focus on and get completely rounded in your major course of study when you aren't distracted by irrelevant classes and scheduling conflicts. Evergreen is set up in such a way to optimize the 'worth' of a college.

The Evergreen State College allows students to choose their own path; there aren't majors to apply to, no tests, no grades. This allows students to design their own degree. One quarter I studied organizational leadership and the next I studied the history of education in the US. My professors wrote evaluations at the end of each term explaining the projects I participated in and my learning; this is what made up my transcript.

The best thing about my school is the grading system, which is in the form of written evaluations, rather than letter grades. Professors speak directly about you, and you also have a chance to write an evaluation for yourself. My transcripts when I graduate will be really thick and less mathematical than others, but my education will never be boiled down to a number and letters.

I like that there is an evaluation system because it allows for a better reflection on what you learned during the different classes and is a good reminder to make connections with professors. The 16 credit classes also creates an interesting inter-displinary aspect to the subjects and allows for collaborative teaching.

The best thing about The Evergreen State College is the willingness of the administration, faculty and student body to craft programs that are radically interdisciplinary, exposing students and faculty to a breadth of concepts and information that would be compartmentalized in a more mainstream campus.

It allows me flexibility so it fits with my life which is important with work and a family. I am the sole support for 3 children and my husband so I must continue working full time. I have waited a long time for my turn to return to school so having it fit with these restrictions was most important.

Programs instead of multiple different classes, independant study, and self-evaluations and teacher evaluations that give students actually imput and power in the classes they take at Evergreen. I also like that it's a small school with only about 2500 students.

For me, the best thing about Evergreen is the fact that the teachers are invested in thier students' learning, not just thier grades. The proffessers are passionate about what they teach, and really want you to succeed.

The potential for independent contracts & other alternative learning methods - they are very flexible and if what a student is looking for is not offered the school will help the student learn it in a different way.

The way the educational system is set up allows for close contact and work with other students and teachers. There are lots of hands on work in all the classes with great project and interdisciplenary work.