Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

to an extent

somewhat

Some

yes

1. Yes, there is a pretty crazy social scene. Everyone parties every weekend starting thursday, and on special events (homecoming, spring weekend) Campus safety turns a blind eye to blatant underage drinking/ destructive behavior on the main quad during the middle of the afternoon. 2. Apparently it is big, but if you don't want anything to do with that scene, not only is there no pressure to do it, but you will probably not even notice it. Because I haven't wanted anything to do with coke, it has not been mentioned to me, nor have I seen it anywhere. 3. Trinity is a very preppy school (most of the kids here went to private school), and don't get me wrong, there is a good amount of snobby rich kids; but overall 90% of the student body is pretty friendly, accepting, and down to earth. 4. If you went to a new england prep school and loved it, you'll love Trinity. Eeveryone knows everything about everyone, and you'll be able to recognize basically everyone from your grade by face at least. Even the buildings look the same (old brick with ivy). Some may find this unappealing, but most people I think would enjoy the friendly and personal atmosphere on campus. 5. I haven't noticed any cliqueiness with guys, but apparently the girls say that it is pretty cliquey. Because it's a small school and the freshman dorms are so far apart, you'll find you will develop a close group of about eight or nine people that live near you that you hang out with every day. But because everyone goes to vernon street (Frat row) to party every weekend, you'll see people that you sort of know (from classes etc.) and get to know them better, and party with them on weekends. While you may not be extremely close to them you will still consider them friends.

Like most stereotypes, there is a kernel of truth in each of these, but they fail to accurately represent the reality of Trinity College. While many students hail from their privileged homes in the cities and surrounding suburbs of Boston, Connecticut, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., Trinity students come from 43 states (a vast number are even, dare I say, West Coasters!) and 30 foreign countries. It is true that many students have attended private high schools, perhaps in greater numbers than at other colleges, and that this factor does contribute to the lower levels of racial and ethnic diversity at Trinity. But this truism cannot be held accountable for the perceived uniformity of Trinity students. Diversity at Trinity is multifaceted, taking the form of racial, ethnic, religious, and socioeconomic. More important, perhaps, is that students possess diverse interests, hobbies and aspirations?at this very moment, in a college of just 2,100 students I personally know a world-class organist of all things?and the faculty is just as riveting. The students? relationship with the city of Hartford is admittedly volatile and has room for improvement, but the administration and students make a collective effort to participate in and help to revitalize the city. Trinity?s social scene is fast-paced and fun? weekends are never dull?and much of the activity revolves around, though is not limited to, Greek life. Of all the stereotypes this is perhaps the most accurate?Trinity students are notorious for striking a balance between their studies and partying with unparalleled aptitude.

Most stereotypes one hears are true when it comes to the students who attend Trinity. There is definitely a large handful of handsome guys at Trinity, especially on the athletic teams. As for the way people dress, many of the girls tend to look alike. A lot of the girls can be found carrying the same bag or wearing the same raincoat or winter jacket. Individual style is quite uncommon at Trinity and it seems as though everyone must shop at the same store because even the guys dress identically. The one stereotype that rang untrue was making friends and being accepted into new groups of people. I found it quite easy to make friends and that for the most part, everyone was welcoming and also looking to broaden their groups of friends.

There are certainly kids like that at Trinity, and if you've never seen people like that before (as I hadn't when I got to Trinity) it's possible to be totally overwhelmed. But though they may stand out more, those kids aren't the majority. Most Trinity kids do their work and care about their grades, regardless of their social life, and there are alternatives to Greek life, most notably the new student-run program The Fred Pfeil Community Project (aka The Fred). Next year even more student-run communities will open up on Vernon Street. Behind its preppy facade, Trinity is full of brilliant professors, engaged students, and many opportunities to shape your life in and outside of the classroom.

About a third to half of the student body i would say fits the stereotype, aside from the thing about being conservative (somewhat true, see below), and doing coke (which is generally not too many). However, sometimes it feels like everyone comes from some exclusive boarding school in connecticut. it would be an exaggeration to say that trinity students are snobby, but it seems that many are not exactly open to meeting new people and tend to associate with those who are like themselves. trinity students generally do party a good deal more han the average college student, and this seems to hold back the school academically.

Generally, yes for list one, List two is generally not two, when people need help on campus they can find it, when something horrible (like rape) happens on campus the students will all join together. There is of course a line between the haves and the have nots, in some ways this is also seen as a parties and doesn't party, but its just that the groups don't party together. The students are actually very concerned about international affairs (possibly just to see how it affects their stock portfolio more than human rights).