Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

Trinity is an amazing campus. In the fall and spring the set up is fabulous. You can walk from your dorm to the library and stop by to watch Tennis on the way and afterwards when going to get dinner you can pause and watch soccer or lacrosse. You definitely become familiar with the faces you see in a short period of time, but then you will always find yourself surprised to meet someone new randomly. While the Hartford area may not be the ideal setting for a college campus is provides terrific opportunities for community service, I have been able to partake in numerous tutoring programs, and if you have a car, there are a lot of amazing restaurants and places to visit in downtown Hartford or West Hartford. Trinity may be a scenic respite in urban Hartford, but it is not cutoff from the surrounding community and city problems do sometimes creep onto campus.

I absolutely love it here at Trinity. The school size is perfect, I have ample opportunities to interact with my professors, and I feel very connected with other individuals at the school. School size allows for very personalized attention and I have been able to succeed because of it. There are many different programs offered on campus and its not difficult to start something new. My three roommates and I started a group called the Summit Society and through it we bring professors and students together for casual conversations about whatever we're interested in. I absolutely loved the time our Dean of Students attended and told us stories from his college experience at Trinity from 1958. They were hilarious! I'm not sure if I could build the same personal bonds with faculty and professors at other schools in the same way I have at Trinity.

The more I think about my time there the more I realized how much I compartmentalized. I guess I assimilated as best as I could so it was just okay. Now that I realize there was isolation and agony which lead to me forming my views and wanting this career path I am on--it frustrates me and it frustrates me there has been no change. Academic wise it is largely wonderful but quality of life is such a huge part of going to college. Why on earth have the faculty or administration not tried harder to push and push for inclusivity? It should be normalized not seen as something new. There is little to no exposure of what is acceptable when you are confronted with people who aren't really wealthy, didn't go to your boarding school, aren't white (and no your 1 or .5 black/person of color friends don't count.) It's disappointing. That's my opinion.

The best things about Trinity are that you have a good deal of control over your academic path. Lately, there have been the introductions of new spaces for various groups to pursue their interests. Most people here are very intelligent and interesting- there is more diversity in more areas than people think there is. Also, the campus is beautiful and it is possible to feel apart of a community there. The worst thing about Trinity is the student's apathetic attitudes. When problems or issues arise and need to be addressed, people seem more concerned with defending themselves and being aggressive towards other groups than actually taking a good look at themselves and seeing what they can change and if some of the fault truly lies with them. People tend to talk, talk, and talk, and then not actually get anything done.

The one thing I would change about Trinity is to make the student body more socially aware and active. The campus is rather apathetic about lots of things - politics, social causes, controversies/issues that come up on campus, etc. For example, recently safety on campus has become a raised issue in light of an unfortunate sexual assault on one of our main streets. There was a student forum held by the SGA in which Deans, campus safety representatives, and other faculty would be present. About 40 people showed up and most left before the end of the forum. In regards to an issue that affects every single person on this campus, a sadly small percentage of students made the effort to attend this forum. In general, the student body seems to only put time into things that will benefit themselves.

I love the architecture and small class sizes. I would change the strong cliques that exist. School size is just right. People either don't know what it is or automatically make an assumption that you are wealthy. In the library or dorm room. It's in Hartford, so most activities stay on campus. The administration is much better compared to the older ones. There's been lots of progress. The endowment and where we're going to be getting a lot of our future money. School pride is here, but it's not huge. Trinity is a big crime bubble (whatever illegal happens on campus never turns into anything big unless its committed by someone who doesn't go here). I'll always remember hanging out on the quad in the warm weather. Most frequent complaints are the area we live in.

Anyone I know that goes to Trinity absolutely raves about it. We're a pretty small school, so its a tight knit family on campus. Since we're surrounded by the bad part of the inner city of Hartford, we are that much closer, since we can't really go off campus at night, if we don't go downtown or into West Hartford. The most frequent student complaints are that Trinity doesn't have good food (WHICH IS VALID) even though we just had a $4 million renovation on our main dining hall, Mather. Overall though, the academics and the social life are great. Greek life is huge, and even if you're not in it, you can still go to the frats and sororities or there are other things to do with other organizations and the school has weekly social events.

The size of trinity is both its best and worst feature. It is great to be able to see so many of your friends on a daily basis and get to know such a larger number of people so well because you see them so repeatedly. At the same time, the size leads to everyone knowing everyone else's business. Hartford is nice because of the advantages of a city such as a variety of restaurants and easy access to stores etc. However, it is not a typical college town and poses some major dangers that often make students nervous to walk alone on campus. There is a lot of school pride and a fairly decent turn out at sporting events. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the way campus safety handled a sexual assault on Vernon street.

Trinity is a great place for the most part. It offers a small community in city surroundings. There is always something to do whether you're looking for a good time on campus or off. One of the biggest controversies on campus is our financial status as a college. For a campus that is rumored to be full of rich students and one of the highest tuitions in the country, it is shocking that we are in such a financial hard place that we can't increase our security on campus. One of the other biggest problems is about safety. Campus safety does the best it can; it is just not a large enough force to combat the dangers that a city like Trinity offers. One often wonders why our tuition isn't directed more to our own safety.

I was just recently in Nantucket for a family funeral. Amungst relatives and friends I was asked how I was enjoying college and where I went. Every time I answered with "I'm at Trinity College" each response was extremly postive and telling of just how much pride we have in our school, especially when we graduate. "I work with a guy from Trinity and he is always talking about how great his years at Trinity were" or "the networking from there is incredible, you'll have no trouble finding a job" or "how about the campus, its in Hartford but just 10 minutes away is West Hartford, what amazing resturants that town has" For me it's just amazing being at a college I know I will continue to be proud of even after I graduate.