University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are generally two types of UCLA students. The South Campus Majors, and the North Campus Majors. South Campus Majors study Science. They are generally Asian, pasty, have poor dress sense, poor social skills and are insanely competitive. During finals week, they are known to go for inexcusably long periods of time in which they ignore basic personal hygiene and live at the library. South Campus Majors believe that they are superior to North Campus majors. North Campus students study the Humanities and the Social Sciences. They have it easy; they never study, wear hip sunglasses, smoke cigarettes, talk endlessly about movies and pop culture, walk around with their iPods plugged in, and will inevitably end up living in a box after graduation. North Camus Majors believe that they are superior to South Campus Majors. Other stereotypes include, All UCLA students despise USC students. UCLA students refuse to go outdoors in time of inclement weather conditions (i.e. when it is raining) and believe that it is a legitimate excuse to skip class becuase they are blessed with sunlight 350 days out of the year.

I don't know, but I can tell you this college seems to be very athletics oriented. I personally am not a fan of all the sports and "school spirit." The sense that I get is that UCLA is more frat/sorority oriented while Berkeley is more co-op oriented. Consider yourself warned. But I could be wrong, and this could simply be my reaction to the class divide here. After all, the median income of student's families here is $74K, that's like "oh my god," sixty percent higher than the national average. By the way, don't you hate when people enunciate their statements as if they were asking a question. "I don't know. I think UCLA students are like, cool?"

Some say we're too "nerdy" for being a good school, and some say we're "overrated" for really being a bunch of partiers who are just naturally smart (and therefore get by)... However, there are a lot of good stereotypes also, such as the fact that we're a well-rounded school who knows how to study hard, and party just as hard (if not harder!). One other negative stereotype is also that UCLA isn't consistent with their admissions, and they reject some people who "should get in" and accept some people who "shouldn't get in."

UCLA is rumored to be cold, impersonal, and so damn crammed full of students that you can never get the classes you want. And these students that swarm the campus- they're characterized as being over-acheiving know-it-alls armed with more useless knowledge than they know what to do with.

Some prevalent stereotypes of UCLA include UCLA: "University of Caucasians Lost among Asians," indicating a large population of asian and white students in comparison to a relatively small number of other ethnicities. UCLA students are also viewed as studious rather than partiers.

The biggest stereotype is that UCLA is super Asian and everyone is really into studying. The other big stereotype is that UCLA is like a west-coast, beach school, where the guys are buff and the girls are hot and everyone is into greek life.

There is the famous "Caucasians lost among Asians" stereotype. I'm sure many believe that there are a ton of "nerds" at UCLA and also that these are the students that couldn't get into USC. hmmm...

I guess one of the stereotypes is that the student body is loaded almost entirely of Asians, hence the explanation of UCLA being the "University of Caucasians lost among Asians."

Everyone seems to think that we're all geeky people that never stop studying, or conversely that we're all super involved in the histrionics of Hollywood!

Beach school, lots of palm trees, superficial and materialistic, everyone is Asian, everyone just studies, big and impersonal