University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There's not much of a sports scene on campus, and this is coming from someone who is within the athletics department. The big sports on campus are men/women's basketball, men's soccer and baseball. It's common for the school population to be excited when these teams play big name schools like UCLA, USC, and in soccer's case, UCSB. These are the games that tend to get more crowded. Not a lot of people know about the sports we have at UCR so game attendance is pretty low. However, some of these teams as well as other teams on campus have had some pretty big wins (Men's soccer competed in the Big West Championships this year, Women's basketball won the Big West Championships, and Softball beat UCLA.) These little accomplishments have caught the attention of students on campus, but we still have a long way to go.

If you were hoping to find college games with packed arenas like Duke or UCLA, you're at the wrong school. Although we have a division 1 basketball program, we're never ranked and barely get into march madness. During the regular season, you'll see more fans from the away team at our own home court. Supposedly, our women's basketball team is pretty good. But yea, don't expect much from our athletics program.

In order to get the proper hype about the sports, you need to look for them. We're not that focused on sports and I think that we're even more so because we don't have a football team. Our basketball and soccer teams get some attention (mostly basketball), but it really isn't much. They try, occasionally, to get us interested, but it doesn't work that well.

The sports scene is charged with school spirit here at UCR. The lack of a football team is discouraging, but we definitely make up for it at the other sporting events with overwhelming crowds, face paint, and student cheers.

So far i have only been to the soccer and basketball games. I'm not very big on sports, our teams are not the best but we are at least decent and our school has a lot of support and spirit for our teams

They mostly occur at night so only those who are friends of athletes or just group of friends that wants to cheer for fun shows up.