University of California-Riverside Top Questions

Tell us about your professors.

Dalayna

Professors enjoy students that try. If you attend office hours, and make the effort to learn, they will give you the resources to succeed.

Dalayna

I'm coming from the perspective of an African American. When a professor see's that you want to learn, and want to pass their class, they will give you the resources( *cough cough answers )to passing their class. Many professors have the expectation that black people are ignorant, ghetto, and do not want to succeed. They are expecting me to fall to the bottom of their class. So by going above and beyond attending office hours, staying after class asking questions, showing that I am interested in the class, they LOVE YOU and give you what you need to pass. Regardless of your ethnicity, UCR professors have office hours that should be taken advantage of & if you do you will succeed.

Dalayna

I'm coming from the perspective of an African American. When a professor see's that you want to learn, and want to pass their class, they will give you the resources *cough cough answers to passing their class. White professors have the expectation that black people are ignorant, ghetto, and do not want to succeed. They are expecting me to fall to the bottom of their class. So by going above and beyond attending office hours, staying after class asking questions, showing that I am interested in the class, they LOVE YOU and give you what you need to pass. Regardless of your ethnicity, UCR professors have office hours that should be taken advantage of & if you do you will succeed.

The professors at UCR, in my experience, are all nothing short of amazing. They are brilliant, but they are completely down to earth and have the students' best interests at heart. They put in a lot of extra time and effort to make sure that they are available for any student that may need them, like putting in a lot of office hours that are open for any students who have questions or just want to say hi. They are friendly and personable, and it is easy to make a positive relationship with your professors.

Carla

I actually like my professors this quarter. They're easy to talk to and are quite helpful if I have a question or don't understand something. Most of the professors will try to help you understand what is going on while others might just look at you like you're stupid. Ratemyprofessors.com is always a helpful place to get a better understanding of what you might be facing before taking a class.

Jackie

As part of the top-ranked public school system in the nation, the University of California, Riverside is home to some of the best professors in the world. Next quarter, I'll be taking a course taught by a Harvard graduate & Rhodes scholar. I took a class in the fall that was taught by a Stanford graduate who'd published her own full-length novel. UCR does not skimp on its selection of professors. Nearly every professor has a PhD or equivalent, has published work, and has fully immersed themselves in their field of study. The professors take themselves very seriously here, and expect the students to respect them in return. The best way to get on your professor's good side is to attend office hours! During the first lecture of each quarter, your professor will let you know their "office hours", or times when you can come visit them for one-on-one help. Once your professor knows your name (as opposed to just being a face in the lecture hall), your chances of getting a better grade are increased significantly! Utilize every resource you have in college.

Jackie

As part of the top-ranked public school system in the nation, the University of California, Riverside is home to some of the best professors in the world. Next quarter, I'll be taking a course taught by a Harvard graduate & Rhodes scholar. I took a class in the fall that was taught by a Stanford graduate who'd published her own full-length novel. UCR does not skimp on its selection of professors. Nearly every professor has a PhD or equivalent, has published work, and has fully immersed themselves in their field of study. The professors take themselves very seriously here, and expect the students to respect them in return. The best way to get on your professor's good side is to attend office hours! During the first lecture of each quarter, your professor will let you know their "office hours", or times when you can come visit them for one-on-one help. Once your professor knows your name (as opposed to just being a face in the lecture hall), your chanced of getting a better grade are increased significantly! Utilize every resource you have in college.

F

Professors, at least for humanities classes, are generally cool. I have yet to meet a professor I've found unpleasant. Typically, professors like to engage the class in discussion, regardless of the class size. Professors I've had always encourage students to go to office hours; they tend to be very accessible.

Gabriel

The professors at UCR are just like those at any other school, some are great teachers who get a point across in an entertaining and efficient way that you learn well, others they are just like any other boring teacher in the stereotypical put you to sleep with their words kind of way. And of course several fall in between with their teaching habits. However all professors do have office hours where students can speak with them one on one about the material learned in class and no teacher obviously wants to be seen as a bad teacher and I've yet to meet a teacher who is not helpful with questions that are presented.

Kenneth

The professors bounce around and are different depending on what major and what class. The general rule for creative writing is that the professors (with the exception of one) are mostly informal. We call most of them by their first name. Even if you don't like the class that much, it is pretty hard to not like some of the creative writing professors. In other majors, though, I've seldom come across a professor who wants us to call him/her by first name. I haven't ever met a professor who wasn't inviting at their office hours. One that I had seemed very impersonal in class, she would never talk to the students in class, and I nearly gave her a heart attack (by her standards anyway) when I walked into her office without saying anything, but she was very friendly and helpful about my questions and didn't seem like she was trying to get rid of me. Several professors have offered to write letters of recommendation for something I might need it for just because I was a very willing participant in their classes.

My professors thus far have been amazing. All very inspiring and helpful. My favorite professor so far is Goldberry Long, the intro to Creative Writing professor. Her innovative methods and tell-all personality left all of the 270 students laughing, crying and begging for more.

Leticia

My favorite Professor is Goldberry Long who teaches intro to creative writing, she tells it like it is and isn't afraid to be herself. definitely on of my most bodacious professors. And talking to your professors isn't that hard. I can honestly say that the teachers are there because they want to help you learn and grow, even if they don't know your name they will do there best to help you

Leticia

My favorite Professor is Goldberry Long who teaches intro to creative writing, she tells it like it is and isn't afraid to be herself. definitely on of my most bodacious professors

Arveen

There are lots of professors who have accents in the science or engineering departments and they are mostly approachable and friendly.

Albert

Lectures up until your 3rd year are pretty boring. Once you enter classes that concentrate more on your major, you'll find yourself paying attention more in class. Smaller rooms, less students, more discussion amongst your classmates.