University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Some stereotypes about UC riverside students is that they are the rejects of all the UC students since it is ranked on the bottom compared to all the other UC's. However, what people don't know is that UCR is improving in its courses offered and the campus is adding new structures as well, making UCR a more pleasant school to attend. When people think of UCR students, they think of slackers since they think that UCR is an easier college compared to all the other UC's. We actually do have alot of tough courses here and the business administration is one of the best programs offered in the whole UC system.

UC Riverside has a bad rap because it is in Riverside and not on the beach like most of the other UC campuses, making it the black sheep of the UC family. If I had to debunk any myth I heard before I came to the campus it would be that UCR does not smell. Riverside is unique in that it is central to everything in SoCal, 45 minutes from LA, OC, SD (well more like 90), and only 4 hours to Vegas! There is little to do in Riverside, but what we got keeps you entertained. The campus is very diverse, in terms of student population, and we have some of the greatest faculty in the nation.

I think the stereotypes of students at our school is that we are somehow not as smart as those in other universities or that we are overrated as a university seeing as the entrance requirements are not as rigid as those to get into other UCs. This is not true however, UCR is a research university and the students here work with professors who are active in their field right now and student's learn things they can see working every day in the world or how what they learn influences them.

It is sometimes thought that UC Riverside is a school that is easy to get into. This leads to people thinking the students are lazy and aim for nothing better than a C. Though I and many people I know are bad examples of this stereotype, usually striving for an A in every class, not everyone is the same. Why is this? Because a stereotype is a judgement based off of one to fill in the idea of the whole. They're not accurate with all or even most people.

The stereotype is that UCR is not the brightest or the best UC. As the lowest ranked school in the UC system, it is often seen as the "catch-all" net. It is where everyone who meets the general UC requirements gets accepted automatically. So the acceptance rate is double that of, say, Berkeley. It's also seen as one of the less visually impressive schools. Riverside itself is seen as an ugly area - images of dirt, smoggy air, and fenced in horses.

The only people that go here are the ones that didn't get accepted into high ranked UC's and that we are a reject school, which definitely isn't true. A lot of people go here for there major programs and for convenience, scholarships/grants, our school wants us to get an education and they want us to learn so they do the best they can to help financially

One of the stereotypes that I have encountered throughout the years is the notion that students at Riverside dont want to be there. In all honesty we have a wide range of diverse and competitive students that had Riverside as their first pick as a University.

Stereotypes about UCR students are that they were unable to get into a better UC and were therefore forced to enroll at UCR. Which means that the stereotype would be that UCR's student body is lazier and less intelligent than the student body at other UC's.

There is a huge sterotype that UCR is the school you choose because you didn't get into any of your top picks. There is also the sterotype that UCR students are all apathetic about everything.

That we are weak academically because of our very high acceptance rate and that we are a commuter school. Don't deserve to be called a UC or the "bastard" of the system.