University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it does not have a lot extracurricular activities for all the diverse people of majors to enjoy. The extracurricular activities alway have to aim for a specific major . Extracurricular activities like for examples IEEE are aim for engineering, computer science and information majors, American Medical Student Association is aim for medical students that are majoring in this field, and Business Career Conference is aim for business majors. Another downside to this is that some of the extracurricular activities are not base on the student's schedule, which unable them to attend.

The most frustrating thing about University of California, Riverside is the weather. The fluctuation of the weather in Riverside is amazing. During the Fall and Spring seasons, the temperature can reach up to 115 degrees fahrenheit. The scorching temperature makes it extremely hard to leave our air conditioned dorms and apartments and walk to class, which we eventually drag ourselves to do. During the Winter season, the temperature can hit below 25 degrees fahrenheit. But I can't complain, after all, California gets a little bit of every thing which can be very pleasant.

The most frustrating thing about my campus is that there are not enough classes available during registration. They have a tendency to not inform the students of how much limited space they have at the school until, you have paid your hard earned $200 for the orientation. With the high rate of tuition, students should have classes available to them. Instead we are getting ripped for our money. Tuition right now is almost at $30,000, and at that price students cannot find classes that will benefit them towards their major. My school does not care about the students.

I believe that every school has its pros and cons, but for Riverside, the most frustrating thing about this school is the way that people look towards this school. It frustrates me when people tend to think of UCR as not a very academic school compared to UCLA. It is obvious that UCLA has much more resources and is a bigger campus, but UCR does have standards, and I believe is a better school to attend rather than junior colleges. Riverside is not a horrible school in general. It is a University and a place to receive your degree.

Everything at UC Riverside is uphill--or, at least, it feels that way. It's a beautiful campus, right up against the Box Springs Mountains, with citrus trees planted all over and around the property, but no matter where you need to go on campus, it's always uphill from where you are. I have mobility problems, and I put in quite a bit of effort into getting around this university. Still, I'm in better shape than ever with the amount of walking I do here! And the hills are worth it for the sunsets and warm weather.

All advising services, though accesible enough to students, are generally not helpful. Outreach to incoming freshmen seems limited to students in the honors program. A great amount of students feel like they are on their own in seeking advisement about their degrees. They must search and determine the requirements that they must complete on their own. Overall, the university seems to take a "hands-off" approach, which does indeed foster independence, but leaves many students feeling lost at the same time.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that its students believe that the school they attend defines how successful they will be in the future. Since UCR is not the most recognized school, its students naturally believe that they themselves must not add up to anything, so they count themselves out of the game even before they get in. Even though the students here have tons of potential, they undermine themselves just because of the univeristy they attend, which frustrates me very much.

The weather because when it's hot its scorching, and when it's cold it's time to bunlde up. I feel as though it prepares some students for fields on study abroad in the Antarctica and the Sahara Desert. I think that the weather shows a great deal in showing a separation between those who want to take advantage of their education regardless of the weather or conditions. It shows that simply participating and attendance in school is one of the keys to a successful start in life and career choices.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of a connection between the sudents here. People on campus and in classes don't seem to connect on a social scale. The diversity here from student to student is to the point where alot of the students find it hard to find people they connect with. When i say diversity, i dont mean race, religon, or any others things mentioned on this survey. I refer to the student's preferences such as music, hobbies, and activities they like to do.

I found getting adjusted to school to be the most frustrating. Coming from a high school where i received mostly good grades and had around a 3.8 GPA, and ending my first quarter at UCR with a 1.923 was extremely frustrating for me knowing that half a letter grade would have saved my GPA. Although this is a setback, i consider it a minor one because it will only help me learn what I need to do better and be ready for next quarter.