University of California-San Diego Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

the stereotype is definitely that we are all very smart kids who work extremely hard and are a bit socially inept. For the most part you could say its true, many students do dedicate large quantities of time to their studies and video games. However there is greek life, athletics, and just normal people who are well rounded.

Bob

....

nikolai

A common stereotype is that we're a geek school, full of Asian students, and a bunch of science majors. While UCSD isn't that diverse of a school, there are a variety of social scenes from greek life to activism to art to hippies so it's diverse in that sense, and there's a very lively set of co-ops!

A stereotype of students at my school is the kind that reads textbooks as their entertainments. It is somewhat true for the super geeks. But mostly the students have their private parties here and there. The typical impression of UCSD to others is a socially-dead school. However, it is not true. Students here tend to party carzy on the weekends and holidays. But once it is getting close to midterms or finals, the environment gets serious and the library is always packed.

The stereotype of the students at UCSD is that we are a bunch of introverted, non-social, geeky Asians. This is pretty accurate to a certain extent. There are plenty of Asians, plenty of geeks, and certainly plenty of geeky Asians. However, we are not as non-social as our stereotype may indicate. There are plenty of social events that students here attend and while there isn't a huge party everyday, or a lot of people that frequently go out to party, there is still a college vibe here.

Lucero

Geeks/nerds. Stereotypes are never 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} accurate. There are a lot of studious students at my school but also a variety of others (e.g. frat/ sorority, surfers, sport fanatics, etc) like any other school.

Antonios

Some stereotypes include antisocial students and frat kids. Unfortunately, even though the chancellor's office and the office of academic affairs are doing their best to eliminate stereotypes among our school, it is very hard to do so in the society we live in.

Antonios

Some stereotypes include antisocial students and frat kids

Cheryl

UCSD is typically known for its abundance of Asian nerds and anti-socialites. And while UCSD's demographic was definitely a change from the suburbs I spent my first 18 years in, I think the stereotype is generally untrue. Yes, we do have really strong math/science/pre-med departments, but that's not all UCSD is. Like at any college, you'll have to find where you belong. Join the paper and join the ranks of some of San Diego's biggest hipsters or go Greek and explore the bonds of sister/brotherhood. UCSD does have parties and (if you've ever been to Sun God) it's arguable that we can party with the best.

Allie

UCSD is known for their engineering and medical programs which leads people to assume that all the students are nerdy, geeky, and lack a social life. The infamous "Triton eye" is not exactly a stereotype, but is apparently something ALL UCSD students are diagnosed with. haha. Supposedly we are a school filled with ugly people who only study and the "triton eye" is a condition where we start to think ugly people are good looking and attractive. SO UNTRUE!! UCSD is just like any other school, we party ( just not during midterms and finals), we study heavily (in our amazing library), and we hang out on our free days. Since UCSD has 6 different colleges within the University, students come up with stereotypes for each school. For example, Revelle college has an insane amount of G.E's and focus on math and science, we think of them as the smart, nerdy ones. While Muir College on the other hand has the least requirements, we label them the party kids.

The stereotypes of students at my school is that they are all super busy and have no time to enjoy their life. This stereotype is false. While students here do spend alot of time doing schoolwork, this does not keep them from having a social life.

Mostly asian and that the all of the guys develope something called "triton eye."

The Stereotype of UCSD students are that they are super studious with no social life. This stereotype is true for a lot of students here, but if you want asocial life there are plenty of clubs, activities, dances, and concerts to entertain yourself with and go out with friends.

Asians, ugly, boring

Tanya

Well aside from people thinking that UCSD stands for "UC Socially Dead" instead of UC San Diego, the general stereotype of the people from our school is antisocial, nerdy, awkward, and laidback. hahaha But to be honest, I wouldn't be able to necessarily say that it's not true. I'm sure every school has their fair share of antisocial, nerdy, and awkward people. But what I generally see are super laid back people and awkward people. But the awkward people are generally in their labs anyways, and the super laid back people are generally out partying or surfing. Oh, and there's a handful of super sweet people that are involved in religious clubs on campus. Just like any school though, we have our fair share of cool people, nerdy people, laid back people, potheads, jocks, bros, and nice people, etc etc. It's a UC, and there's a diverse group of people here. The only issue is you need to be social and go out to meet everyone. So I recommend dorming, if you can, the first two years. UCSD is a pretty big school, and it may require a bit more of an effort to meet others, 'cause you might have to walk farther than other schools. It takes me about 20 minutes to walk leisurely from one side of the school to the other. However, this was because I used to live on campus. Generally it takes me 8-12 minutes to walk fast paced from one class to another.

Whisper

UCSD has been nicknamed UCSociallyDead due to the fact that the school has very low student diversity. However, this nickname could not be more wrong! If you are a social and laid-back kind of person, finding fun ways to fill your time will definitely not be a problem. Sometimes it's the simple task of knowing where to look and how to listen. If you can do that, you'll find that parties are all over the place.

Mina

The most common stereotype at UCSD is that it is an Asian school. This stereotype is not accurate. Our school is very diverse with students from all over the world. We have many international students and other students from different types of cultures and ethnicities. Another stereotype is that our school is "socially dead." This is completely not accurate. Even though our curriculum is packed into a 10 week quarter, we find time to do many other campus activites. We have over 50 clubs and extracurricular activities on and off campus. We have different types of sorrorities and fraternities that also include professional based types of fraternities and sorrorities. We also have a Sun God festival each year, which includes, games, food, and a concert featuring different music artists such as Drake, Wiz khalifa, Jimmy Eats World, and many more popular artists. We try to make our college experience as fun as it can be while still maintaining a great academic education.

Tanya

A common stereotype at my school is that students are too focused on academics. And not enough on fun! A certain caliber of student is accepted into this university but that doesn't mean all of the life and excitement has been drained out in the process. Though we get down to business and have killer science and engineering programs, we also like to get down in our spare time. There are weekly concerts at The Loft, Porters Pub, RIMAC Arena and any spare bit of grass as well as several places to buy beer and wine on campus. You won't find tailgate parties or frats boys stumbling around, but if you are friendly yourself and do a little searching each person can find his or her niche at the school whether it be the art weirdos in Mandeville or the international kids in ERC or the surfs cats heading out West to Blacks Beach.

Bob

The typical UCSD student is generally thought of as an overly stressed, nerdy recluse of a human being, and sadly this is farce stereotype is not entirely off the mark. The vast majority of students here are fairly unsocial, study-focused creatures (though the latter is by no means a bad thing). It is also worth noting that the school has a strong Asian majority, which effectively works to reinforce the archetype of student. However, one should also know the UCSD does have is (small) share of a more typical college student population - those who enjoy partying, socializing, and the such. These people are generally found in the Greek and athletic populations however, as such can be hard to network with if not involved.

When people hear the name UCSD, it's easy to call to mind the stereotype: UC of the Socially Dead. On one hand, the stereotype is true for many students. Walk into the library at any time during the quarter and you're likely to spot many students who appear stressed to the brink of a mental breakdown and who have probably long forgotten the meaning of the word "social". Parties for these students are the stress breaks offered by the school's Associated Students in which a free slice of pizza equates a good time. On the other hand, many students at UCSD have pointedly rejected the stereotype by making serious efforts to meet and socialize with others. The Greek system grows larger each year, there are copious amounts of clubs and groups around campus, and the school's unique six college system makes it easier to make lasting connections.

Students at UCSD are generally stereotyped as anti-social students who spend all of their time in their dorms studying (I've heard UCSD referred to as UC Socially Dead), and I'm sure you would be able to find a fair number of people who do fit this stereotype. However, in my experience, you can have whatever social experience you like at UCSD. I've found the students at UCSD to be extraordinarily relaxed and chill about most things. There is a certain academic nature about students--most people do actually want to do well in their classes--but at least with the people I've been around, most students are pretty laid back about it. I think what gives UCSD it's reputation for being socially dead is that parties tend not to come right up to your door. Most students who complain are the ones who do spend a lot of time in their rooms. Go out and find whatever experience you're looking for. You can have anything from just a chill group of friends to people who want to party every night. It might be harder to find certain types of people than others, but they definitely exist and I've known quite a few. I've even known people who had trouble finding people who didn't want to go out and party every night, so you can definitely find all sorts of people here. That having been said, there's no real Greek row here, which could contribute to the "socially dead" stereotype. There are fraternities and sororities, which are pretty active, if you'd like to join one. There's also no football team here, so school spirit isn't always as wildly apparent as other schools. Also, UCSD isn't extraordinarily diverse. There are certainly all sorts of people here, but if racial or ethnic diversity is a concern, the majority of students are Asian or Caucasian.

Students at UCSD are generally stereotyped as anti-social students who spend all of their time in their dorms studying (I've heard UCSD referred to as UC Socially Dead), and I'm sure you would be able to find a fair number of people who do fit this stereotype. However, in my experience, you can have whatever social experience you like at UCSD. I've found the students at UCSD to be extraordinarily relaxed and chill about most things. There is a certain academic nature about students--most people do actually want to do well in their classes--but at least with the people I've been around, most students are pretty laid back about it. I think what gives UCSD it's reputation for being socially dead is that parties tend not to come right up to your door. Most students who complain are the ones who do spend a lot of time in their rooms. Go out and find whatever experience you're looking for. You can have anything from just a chill group of friends to people who want to party every night. It might be harder to find certain types of people than others, but they definitely exist and I've known quite a few. I've even known people who had trouble finding people who didn't want to go out and party every night, so you can definitely find all sorts of people here. That having been said, there's no real Greek row here, which could contribute to the "socially dead" stereotype. There are fraternities and sororities, which are pretty active, if you'd like to join one. There's also no football team here, so school spirit isn't always as wildly apparent as other schools. Also, UCSD isn't extraordinarily diverse. There are certainly all sorts of people here, but if racial diversity is a concern, the majority of students are Asian or Caucasian.

L

Nerds. Anti-social. Geeks. It is accurate in a sense. It's a very study-intense atmosphere. However, the nerds and geeks part is great- it's nice to see people passionate about what they do.

Latifah

When walking from lecture to lecture, many students stare at the ground as if everyone around them is invisible. However, there are plenty of friendly people at UCSD who would smile at and open the door for strangers. Stress comes for all college students, and when we're engaged in our own thoughts, it isn't uncommon to acknowledge every passerby in the school.

Roshmi

I feel that students at our school are reputed to be less social than those at other campuses because UCSD is a commuter campus, so there aren't as many people on campus when classes aren't around, whereas other schools have football games and other events that thousands of students attend. However, there is plenty going on at UCSD; you just have to search for it a bit more by joining clubs and meeting new people.

Daisy

UC San Diego is a highly competitive, prestigious research university, and so the students take the rigorous curriculum very seriously. Because of the number of high achieving students, there is a stereotype of students being "nerds" or "geeks". While this is true in a sense that the students do put in a lot of effort into their academics, there is also a very high participation rate in extracurricular activities such as student organizations, sports, the international community, the LGBT community, and many students even hold part time jobs. I'm sure that every university has its jocks, nerds, geeks, hippies, and so-forth, but yes, UCSD does have many intelligent over-achieving students, which makes this university a worthy educational investment.

Lien

UCSD Students are most often known as nonsocial due to the heavy emphasis on academics and the absence of greek housing on campus. Since UCSD does not have greek housing on campus, it takes out the experience of having a row of frat/sorority houses that is normally associated with a lot of parties and social activities. The stereotype is true or false depending how stance you are taking. Most of the students who are part of a social group or greek life would say that UCSD is pretty social because they make it social. Whereas, if you're a student who can't seem to find any social activities, then they would most likely say that UCSD is socially dead.

I don't want to stereotype the entire school into one thing, because that would be quite inaccurate. At any school, I'm sure there's all types of students ranging from frat kids, nerds, jocks, what have you. At UCSD, there is a large Asian population, and I believe most are highly academic driven, definitely expecting those A's, and studies hard before midterms and finals. But you can party just as hard, whether you are in a frat or not, because it really depends on your what your priorities are and who you are friends with. There isn't a specific frat row, but it definitely doesn't mean UCSD kids don't drink or party. But I guess when it comes down to it, school > partying for most students.

The stereotypes of UC San Diego are mainly, competitive, anti-social, nerds who all eventually become beach bums and surfers. The classes at UCSD are all mostly based on a curve so competition is a true characteristic found in students here. There are a lot of students who are considered anti-social and like to stay in their dorms/apartments to study but there are also A LOT of people who socialize in different students organizations, frats and sororities. Students devote a lot of time to their studies mostly due to the speed of the quarter system so perhaps yes, we're kind of nerds. Last but not least, not everyone likes to go to the beach or ever learn to surf while at UCSD; usually people who are involved in those activities had those interests prior to coming here.