University of California-Santa Cruz Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Guadalupe

i don't know

Kyla

Super liberal shoeless hippies. Nah it's chill, we're honestly pretty diverse

Kyla

Super liberal shoeless h

Gladys

That there are hippies that lie to smoke. This is not true.

There are several different stereotypes at UCSC, but the biggest ones would be Hippies and Hipsters - both of which are correct. There are also a lot of Jocks and Bros, but almost zero Frat Kids. I think only 1{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of UCSC students are in a Frat, but I'm not 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} sure of that statistic. I would say that no matter which stereotype people fit into at UCSC, in general people are much more understanding and open minded. I have met some of the most amazing people at UCSC, and I have learned a lot from the people around me about what it truly means to be happy. What is so special about UCSC versus any other college is the people and culture. UCSC teaches you about yourself, it doesn't just give you a degree, and that is knowledge that is invaluable.

It is hard to pin down one stereotype at UC Santa Cruz. The school is set up with 10 colleges within the university that act as social hubs for students. Each college within UCSC tends to have a stereotype. For example, Cowell College is often seen as the jock college. While many people interested in athletics are affiliated with Cowell, due to its close proximity to the east field and gym, there is a wide variety of students that live there. Thus while it is possible to see people at each college that fulfill that college's "stereotype," it is also easy to find people within colleges that are completely opposite to the stereotype.

Earllysia

A lot of people, who aren't from the area, seem to think everyone at USC-Columbia has lots of money. I think it's because of how well dressed most of us are and the upkeep of our campus. While there are a lot of individuals who do have a high socioeconomic status, the makeup of campus is pretty diverse.

Devon

The biggest stereotype is that we are a school of hippies. However, there are also stereotypes for each individual college as well. Cowell and Stevenson are the preppy girls and jocky boys, Sterile Merrill because nothing happens there, Crown are all the nerds, College 10 is where the Asians hang-out, Kresege is for the hippies, Porter the hipsters, college 8 the Bros and Oakes another quiet one. Of course, you can find people to fit these stereotypes but they don't apply to everyone. Everyone college has many diverse opportunities to offer, and every student is different and unique, so don't let stereotypes determine everything. The important thing is what you make of your experience.

Shelley

UC Santa Cruz, or just Santa Cruz in general, has a reputation of being "hippies," and while some students might fit this stereotype, it is not true for everyone. UC Santa Cruz has 10 dorm areas on campus for incoming freshman to live at, and each of those colleges has a unique vibe and feel to it that would appeal to just about anyone. Sports and Greek life are not huge on our campus, but they are both growing at a fast pace and participation in either definitely enhances one's college experience overall. We might also have a stereotype of being one of the easiest UCs, since back in the day Santa Cruz gave pass/fail instead of letter grades, but this stereotype is not true at all. While other UCs like UCLA, UCSD, and Berkeley might be more competitive and harder to get into, UCSC was recently named one of the top research Universities in the world -- which is proof this is a great college, and not one full of hippies.

Often people will say that UCSC is a party school. I can reassure that while UCSC does have parties, it is not just a party school. There are a wealth of great opportunities at the campus, and I have never experienced educators with as much passion for their subject as I do now. People may unfortunately fall victim to believing the stereotype and the assumption that UCSC does not take education seriously, I can assure that they provide you with an environment that sets education as first priority.

ERICK

Telling people that I would be attending ucsc I always got the, "Stoner school right there". I didn't know what to think about it, but now that I go here I can say that the stereotype is accurate.

Rotem

The stereotype is that people who smoke weed and are hippie go there. It isn't true. UCSC is both culturaly and socialy diverse. Sure, just like anywhere else, there are a few people who do participate in smoking but that is a small section of the overall population. On campuse,there are friends for people of all interests. There are even alcohol free, study intensive, and quiet floors for those who choose to seek them.

The stereotype of students at my school is that they are stoners or hippies. Although there are some people who can be considered stoners or hippies, that does not define the majority of the students at UCSC. The students at UCSC definitely vary and are hard to stereotype or lump into one big group. For the most part though, the students tend to be focused on academics and know that they are paying for their school and have to take advantage of that.

Genevieve

UC Santa Cruz has the false reputation of being a "hippie" school, because it was progressive and alternative in some ways when it first opened. For this reason, the students at UCSC are often stereotyped as "stoners" and UCSC isn't always recognized as the top university that it actually is. When I was a tour guide, I was asked multiple times, "Do most students here smoke weed?" My answer was no, definitely not!!! UCSC students are very academically charged and have a variety of interests. In fact, UCSC is ranked number three in the country for research impact! Students get involved in research with professors, entrepreneur competitions, sports, outdoor activities, art and theater, and everything in between!

Cierra

When you tell your parents (or any adult for that matter) that you want to go to UC Santa Cruz the first thing they imagine is STONERS! UCSC has been deemed the number one weed school by today's society. While this may have held truth back in the 70's, UCSC now is top 3 in the nation for scientific research! UCSC has been voted the most vegan friendly and also one of the most "green" and environmental friendly campuses to date! The stereotypes at UCSC are outdated and students are working hard promote a new vision for UCSC. While it may lack a football team, UCSC does not lack school spirit! From Basketball games with cheerleaders, to the water polo or the tennis team, UCSC has a very athletic student body. Even more unique is that at UCSC you have access to hiking in the forests literally on campus, and also access to the ocean, just down the hill! There is something for every active person at UCSC and this is what makes it so different. Other schools may claim this, but UCSC brings it to life. This is clearly seen every year at OPERS Fall Festival where all clubs, sports teams, greek life and everyone on campus comes together to promote fun and active integration into whatever it is you love at UC Santa Cruz! Everyone is always looking to meet and greet new people, enjoy academic conversations and rally for a cause. Everyone can thrive in such an open minded community where the social culture lets you define, redefine and develop again yourself as an individual.

I don't really think we have a stereotype. USC is very well known for being liberal & I believe it is true especially considering all the activities that take place on campus. From sex ed to LGBT information. We have everything here