University of California-Santa Cruz

« See more reviews of University of California-Santa Cruz

As a multi-racial woman, I was particularly frustrated that the majority of students were Caucasian; relatively few students represented African-American, Asian/Pacific-Islander, Hispanic, and other ethnic groups. A current perusal of UCSC's demographics shows that half the student body remains Caucasian, although far more Asian/Pacific-Islanders have enrolled, as well as some Hispanic students. While the student body was mostly Caucasian when I attended, the tenor of thought was both liberal and inclusive. I never felt rejected by my peers, but I did wish my peers included more people like me.

The most frustrating part about my school is the fact that my peers never want to leave their campus apartments and dorm rooms. I think it is ridiculous how much beauty we are literally surrounded with, and no one ever wants to step outside of their warm, cozy, and comfortable caves. Sure, it may be a little colder, a little less comfortable, and a little more of an effort to step outside for an hour or two a day, but it is frustrating that my peers are not taking advantage of the beautiful scenery around them.

I hate the fact that most of the classes offered to students include an attendancy of 250+ students. In order to truly get to know your teachers, you must stand out from the pool of students. But even so, a teacher teaches 3-4 classes, some filled with over 200+ students. That's 600-800 students she has to work with. I find it hard to believe a teacher can get to know so many students, especially on a quarter system, in such short time.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that we are trying to build more buldings that will help the prestige of the university evole and help out our science program, but people have been protesting, preventing this from happening. Also, it is pretty frustrating coming from a hard working family, and seeing that the university does not lend out much aid to those who really need it.

The most frustrating thing is trying to get around on the weekends or at night, since the school buses don't operate much at night, and not at all on the weekends. This is cumbersome because I like to hang out with friends or go places like the gym over the weekends, and I have to wait a really long time for the metro buses to come instead of the UCSC ones.

As a science major, I would say class size and the lack of jobs in that area. Santa Cruz is a small city with few jobs for science majors. Also, the sciences are very impacted and my smallest class was still 90 people. Other majors, psychology, art, etc., do not have this issue and typically have 20 people to a class.

Very poor psychological services, students should seek help off campus if needed. Poor health center, staff often simply hands out prescriptions rather than writing referals to specialists. Financial aid checks often arrive late. Quarter system is tricky if you fall behind you may fail your class.

It's tough to get used to a small city like Santa Cruz if you come from a big city (I come from Long Beach, CA) - even though the school offers a lot of activities and there are things to do downtown. Plus, it's virtually impossible to cancel your on-campus housing during the school year.

It seems like EOP students are somewhat "babied" by having priority enrollment over others even if they do not perform well academically. They are rewarded over others that try harder and get much better scores. That's certainly not "equal" opportunity.

The lower undergraduate courses offered at UCSC have more than two hundred students and are extremely difficult to get into. Also, many of the popular majors are impacted and extremely difficult to get into core courses for the major.