University of Chicago Top Questions

John

Great!

Keira

The best thing has to be the classes and class sizes--the personal attention and diversity of offerings is unparalleled. One thing I might change is to make the "core" courses take a little less time. It's great to get such a well rounded experience but for kids who really have a passion for a specific major early on it's difficult. Our size is perfect--we're medium, campus is walkable, you often run into people you know. People are always impressed when I tell them I go here. Most of my time on campus is spent on the quad in summer, in the library in winter. The most frequent complaint is probably the lack of grade inflation tied with the weather (Chicago winters can be killer)--but kids generally bond commiserating over both.

Connie

Overall, I love it. i can't imagine myself anywhere else. I love being at a place where nerdy debates and jokes about Plato are commonplace lunch conversation. I love that there are so many student groups that can cater to basically any interest. I love the size of the school; it's small enough that it's not overwhelming, but not so small it's stifling. That isn't to say I don't have my share of complaints about it. The workload isn't quite it. There is a tendency for the administration to not be as receptive to student voices as I believe it should be for the price we are paying for this school. I wish, for example, there were graduated dining plans much like there are at other schools instead of the current plans for people living in housing. I also wish Hyde Park had more to offer in terms of places to go (although this is getting better - we're getting a movie theater soon, and we just got a 24-hour diner that's pretty good). However, there is a lot of good coffee on campus, and for that, as some of the most studious people in the world, we are fortunate.

Ian

I couldn't be happier with my choice to attend the University of Chicago. When I initially told all of my friends that I was coming here, the general reactions were, "I guess you won't be going to a single party for the next four years," and "Wow! I had no idea you were that smart!" With that being said, this school will definitely push you to your limits academically. Countless hours are spent in the library, but the funny thing is; everyone needs to get work done, so going to the library is almost always done with friends, and is not really seen as too much of a drag. I love the size of this school, as I did not want to go to a University with 50,000 students, but also wanted more than 750. I think this 5,000-6,000 student size is perfect, as you still meet plenty of new people every time you go out, but its also not hard to know where everything and everyone lives and interacts. Although the school spirit for athletics sucks (I'm a football player and it tends to be pretty depressing looking up at the stands), everyone still supports the athletes and school in general. Overall I love the challenge of school and competing with some of the best students around the world. As far as the party scene goes, there typically is not too much going on during the week, which I like since that helps keep you focused on your studies, but on the weekends it is easy to find a party close to the dorms. These are always fun, as UIC and Loyolla kids always come down to party with us. The best thing about this school? You are but one 10 minute ride on the metra from the greatest city in the world, Chicago.

Melissa

cool

Andrew

I have feel in love with the .University of Chicago. It's a relatively small student body and campus still within a train ride of downtown. I enjoy being able to go to the city whenever to hang out with friends or eat dinner. Obviously, the academics are astounding, but not "kill yourself" difficult like you may hear. There are countless activities and intramurals to get involved in as well. The motto: "Where fun comes to die" is only true if you make it true.

Rebecca

Overall, I love this school, but I can also recognize that it is not for everyone. If you want to party six days a week, don't come here. If you want to do as little work possible, don't come here. If you want to take classes specifically in your major and nothing else, don't come here. If you want a really warm, fuzzy, hand holding experience with the faculty, don't come here. If you want a cheap education, don't come here. All of that being said, there are SO MANY reasons to come here. If you want an intellectually diverse student body, come here. If you want to go to parties and be able to do a keg stand while discussing Kant, come here. If you want professors that are honest with you, push you, and who really help you grow (not just give you grades), come here. If you want a school that provides amazing job resources and opportunities, come here. If you want to go to school in one of the best cities in the world, come here. If you want a school where people care about ideas and have conviction in their beliefs, come here. If you want to come out of your college experience feeling a little worn down but a million times smarter and more developed, COME HERE.

Hewon

UChicago currently has about 5200 undergrads, and approximately double the number of grad school students. It's big enough to reach out to different people yet it's small enough that you don't get lost (figuratively) in a tsunami of students. The administration does a fantastic job with helping students develop personal relationships with not only their professors in small class settings, but with the house system that divides residents into 37 different houses. What's great about the house system is that you aren't assigned to 'Freshmen dormitories' but rather, a community of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years who are involved in a plethora of different organizations and activities that you can learn from, grab dinner with, debate about which super smash bro character is best, actually play midnight super smash bro tournaments with, and look up to for guidance. Your house becomes your family as you take sushi trips downtown or go apple picking on the weekends, and there is always someone in the lounge (even at the most ungodly hours) that is there to keep you company as you both stay up till the wee hours, studying for your Honors chemistry exam. When people ask where I go to school and I answer they say "Wow, that's really good!" Half the time I'm not sure if they're saying that because they actually know the prestige of the University or because they don't really know anything at all. However, that is all irrelevant because UChicago is undoubtedly a prestigious name for recruiters or when you apply for jobs. Also, we have the most Rhodes scholars for an American University (score!). Our Career Advisory Planning Services (CAPS) program is also amazing. They guide you through writing your resume, and help place you into internships or jobs post-graduation and while you are an undergraduate (Metcalf internships anyone?). Before many people visit UChicago they have the idea that it will be like Columbia-- a University campus in the heart of the City. However, applicants should note that UChicago is located in Hyde Park, a neighborhood South of Chicago. It is a neighborhood that has a characteristic of its own, and we have a beautiful quad with trees and grass and ivy covered buildings. We are conveniently located a bus ride away from downtown Chicago so the accessibility to the city and the opportunities available in Chicago are great factors to consider. One thing I read the other day about UChicago and its traditions that I completely agree with is the student body's propensity to streak. The Polar Bear run is an annual campus streaking tradition to "kick the winter blues" and from time to time we have Harper Library streakers (usually during reading period/ finals week). 2008 marked the grand reopening of the Lascivious Ball, an annual event where people wear questionable costumes that shows more flesh than it covers. Apparently, at the University of Chicago, students are more comfortable meeting others sans clothes than they are properly dressed...

Hewon

UChicago currently has about 5200 undergrads, and approximately double the number of grad school students. It's big enough to reach out to different people yet it's small enough that you don't get lost (figuratively) in a tsunami of students. The administration does a fantastic job with helping students develop personal relationships with not only their professors in small class settings, but with the house system that divides residents into 37 different houses. What's great about the house system is that you aren't assigned to 'Freshmen dormitories' but rather, a community of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years who are involved in a plethora of different organizations and activities that you can learn from, grab dinner with, debate about which super smash bro character is best, actually play midnight super smash bro tournaments with, and look up to for guidance. Your house becomes your family as you take sushi trips downtown or go apple picking on the weekends, and there is always someone in the lounge (even at the most ungodly hours) that is there to keep you company as you both stay up till the wee hours, studying for your Honors chemistry exam. When people ask where I go to school and I answer they say "Wow, that's really good!" Half the time I'm not sure if they're saying that because they actually know the prestige of the University or because they don't really know anything at all. However, that is all irrelevant because UChicago is undoubtedly a prestigious name for recruiters or when you apply for jobs. Also, we have the most Rhodes scholars for an American University (score!). Our Career Advisory Planning Services (CAPS) program is also amazing. They guide you through writing your resume, and help place you into internships or jobs post-graduation and while you are an undergraduate (Metcalf internships anyone?). Before many people visit UChicago they have the idea that it will be like Columbia-- a University campus in the heart of the City. However, applicants should note that UChicago is located in Hyde Park, a neighborhood South of Chicago. It is a neighborhood that has a characteristic of its own, and we have a beautiful quad with trees and grass and ivy covered buildings. We are conveniently located a bus ride away from downtown Chicago so the accessibility to the city and the opportunities available in Chicago are great factors to consider. One thing I read the other day about UChicago and its traditions that I completely agree with is the student body's propensity to streak. The Polar Bear run is an annual campus streaking tradition to "kick the winter blues" and from time to time we have Harper Library streakers (usually during reading period/ finals week). 2008 marked the grand reopening of the Lascivious Ball, an annual event where people where questionable costumes that shows more flesh than it covers. Apparently, at the University of Chicago, students are more comfortable meeting others sans clothes than they are properly dressed...

Hewon

Julianne

So the biggest thing I talk about with new students is that the classes are hard. People usually complain about the amount of work that they have and how busy they are. But I think that at every college, you will be challenged and our school prepares you for anything. I spend most of my time in my dorm or at the library when I am not working or at club meetings during the week. But on the weekends, I am downtown, at friends’ apartments and just having fun. The only thing though, is that it is really cold in the winters, but all the free hot chocolate our school provides will make up for it. Despite all this though, I think that the University of Chicago has a lot of the great features that any student would want. We are near a big city, which is easy to get to with public transportation. Chicago is a beautiful city with great shopping, restaurants and other features that any person would fall in love. The class sizes are a perfect size so that you get a lot of attention from your teachers when you need help. There are a lot of resources to help you, whether it is with finding a job or with your homework. U.Chicago has over 300 student organizations in every single imaginable interest you may have and there you will meet some of your best friends Did I also mention that we have $1 Milkshake day every single Wednesday? Yeah, it’s great.

Dillon

The University of Chicago is a wonderful school if you truly care about academics. Its reputation is widely known for the academic rigor and the prestige that comes with such an elite program. The administration really cares about the students and providing the best environment for students to thrive academically and socially. If you are looking for a small school in a rural setting, this school is not for you. On the other hand, if you love the excitement of a big city and want to be at a large research university that has the resources and opportunities for you to thrive, UChicago is wonderful. I love getting to experience the city and the experiences that come with the location. One thing that I don't like about the university's location is the crime in the surrounding neighborhoods. While I have always felt 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} safe on campus, it is just a hassle to have to thing about the problems that any big city has in certain parts of town. That being said, it is still very easy to access downtown Chicago and the many ethnic neighborhoods by way of the city's wonderful public transportation system. While there is very little school pride when it comes to athletics, people are passionate about their extracurriculars. From debate team to model U.N., people really get into their extra activities. Being such an academically rigorous school, many people spend a lot of time in the libraries. UChicago has a fantastic library system and there are many from which to choose. Whether you like old and prestigious or new and sleek, there are wonderful libraries to enhance the overall studying experience. Overall, I greatly enjoy the University of Chicago. Being from a rural area, I was nervous about coming to a big city and a large research university, but it was the best decision I could have made. It has provided me with opportunities to explore my passions and chart a bright future.

Kathleen

I would not prefer to be at any other school. UChicago provides its students with small classes with lots of personal attention, a diverse and interesting city, a student body committed to intellectual pursuits, a beautiful neogothic campus, an outstanding academic reputation, and passionate administrators with the utmost respect for their students. All that being said, Chicago offers a unique undergraduate experience and it is definitely not for everyone. Chicago is not a "ra ra" school, the students do not feel passionately about its athletic events and students do not party 7 nights a week. For social and intellectual students though, there is a social scene at Chicago. There is a growing Greek life that offers parties to students Greek affiliated and independent. Similarly, while others schools almost demand that their students go Greek in order to have a social life, this is far from necessary at UChicago. Chicago's unique house system also fosters inter-house bonding, especially helpful to those students who are less outgoing. Further, the winters in Chicago are not for the faint of heart. A month of weather hovering around 0 degrees Fahrenheit calls for a student committed to this unique experience.

Esther

Although some people claim that UChicago is the place "where fun goes to die", that's definitely been changing over the last few years. The campus is one of the most beautiful in the country--think Hogwarts with a pretty quad. The College at the University, which is for undergraduates, is just the right size--hovering around 5000 students, it's large enough so that you'll never feel bored, but small enough so that you'll be sure to find your place. Hyde Park has a few "college-town" sort of hangouts, mostly in the form of bookstores and cafes, but the real draw is the city of Chicago (a short 20-minute Metra ride away!) University of Chicago is located just blocks from the lake too, which makes for great beach trips during those precious warm days.

Stephen

The University of Chicago is known, among other things, for its astounding number of associated Nobel Prize winners. These scholars and academics have certainly left an impact on the University, and human life, but they are not what affects me on a daily basis. Instead, each day at the UofC I am even more astounded by the brilliance, diversity, and talent of my peers that is truly "prize" worthy. Sure, this University is populated by superior intellectuals that are aces in the classroom, but that is not what amazes me. Rather, what makes this school truly so unique is the unbelievable drive and talent that students here commit to other pursuits, outside of the classroom. I have a friend who is a committed student and a varsity athlete, as well as a concert pianist. Another has just incorporated a start-up that has gained nationwide, and global attention. Another still as a chef, has cooked with some of Chicago's leading restaurant chefs. One might have also caught drift of a number of web start-ups that have gained attention, and sold, from UChicago undergrads. There are chess masters, esteemed playwrights, international youth diplomats, debate champions, Starcraft whizzes, and nationally renowned classicists. Around each corner, and in each classroom seat is another student with another fascinating talent, skill, or lifelong pursuit. This cannot be the case at just any University. This cannot be the case at more than ten colleges nationwide. Combine this stellar student body with its unabated and unrivaled thirst for knowledge, and you find that there is not any place quite like the UofC. It is one of a kind.

I have met more unique, strange, hilarious, and surprising people at this school than I would have thought possible. Where else could I go to dinner with a Seventh-Day Adventist from Chile, a stuffed animal enthusiast/econ major, a Colombian anarchist, and a South Indian guy in a Jewish a cappella group? I have learned far more about the world and the people in it than I could have dreamed, coming out of small town Ohio. However, these fascinating people are also all brilliant - and, if you allow them to, they will intimidate you academically. Most people at this school come in as HS valedictorians or top students, and very quickly and painful find out, upon withdrawing from their first quarter math class, that their definition of "hard work" needs a reworking (this may or may not be a personal anecdote). However, once you've found your academic niche and can excel in one area, you'll find that you'll begin to enjoy these challenges (or, if you don't, that you're perhaps at the wrong school). The undergraduate population (~5,000 students) is a good size - you recognize a good number of people, but there is a wide enough variety of activity and enough social groups that it does not feel claustrophobic. It is also not so large that you become just a number among thousands. The administration has been working to improve student life on campus (UChicago had very poor student approval in the 80s), and they've added new gym facilities, a career services center, and other student support systems to improve student life. There is some tension between the university and surrounding neighborhoods - Hyde Park is surrounded by very poor neighborhoods and the crime rate is fairly high. Campus police are very vigilant and every attempt is made to ensure student safety, but there is certainly racial and economic tension (a recent controversy broke out when a black student was arrested in the library for refusing to show his ID).

Marcella

The University of Chicago is very academically rigorous. If you decide to attend UChicago, you have to be prepared for four years of hard work. A UChicago degree will definitely set you apart from other job and graduate school applicants, however. Not only do employers know you are intelligent, but they know how hardworking and creatively thinking you really are. Although work load can be tough here, you will have so many opportunities to explore campus and the city of Chicago. During undergrad, I was a varsity athlete, tour guide, editor-in-chief of a campus fashion magazine, and volunteered for numerous organizations. I also held a few internships during the course of the school year. You really can become involved in different organizations, and make meaningful contributions to them, all while balancing your school work. I think UChicago students are unique from other leading institutions in that way. One aspect of your college life doesn't dominate the rest.

Seleste

This school is amazing! Many students say that you either love the school or you hate it, but either way you can never deny the great academic institution it is. One of the things that is so awesome about the school is the eagerness and determination that people here have for learning everything they can about the world, and then going out there and changing it. Everyone who has gone to this school or has heard about it knows that it is an impressive place to be at. Population-wise, this school is just the right size, so there is an even number of small classes as well as lectures. The neighborhood around it makes it feel a little bit like a college town, but there's also that urban feel from being so close to the city.

Ilknur

I might say that the best thing about UofC is that it is full of bright people who are ready to share and receive knowledge. It is really exciting in the sense of learning for the sake of learning; however, this learning environment sometimes prevents the university administration to invest in sports. At the end, once they built a library (Regenstein) over the football field. I personally believe that having more competitive varsity teams and more school spirit would make the university more interesting and exciting. Apart from that, the administration led by President ZImmer is doing a great job by being very liberal and respecting different opinions. Recently, the Occupy Movement became a bit of a sensation on campus and unlike some other schools in the East, University Police respected students' protests. The UCPD is very nice and understanding protecting the UofC community.

Ilknur

I might say that the best thing about UofC is that it is full of bright people who are ready to share and receive knowledge. It is really exciting in the sense of learning for the sake of learning; however, this learning environment sometimes prevents the university administration to invest in sports. At the end, once they built a library (Regenstein) over the football field. I personally believe that having more competitive varsity teams and more school spirit would be make the university more interesting and exciting. Apart from that, the administration led by President ZImmer is doing a great job by being very liberal and respecting different opinions. Recently, the Occupy Movement became a bit of a sensation on campus and unlike some other schools in the East, University Police respected students' protests. The UCPD is very nice and understanding protecting the UofC community.

Yuzhou

What matters most about college will be the people-- not the classes or professors, not the parties, not the dining halls and residence halls-- it'll be who you're spending the next 4 or so years with. What attracted me to this school are the people who are passionate about something incredibly detailed or quirky, who are are able to have a deep conversation about everything, who have overtime acquired a large number of hobbies and interests. We are all intellectuals, but we are often artists at heart. We are ambitious in a non-standard way, and we want to do everything. As I write this response, I am sitting at the front of a student-run cafe, Hallowed Grounds, listening to the Open Mic-- a night where numerous student volunteers come to perform improv comedy, or slam poetry, or serenade us with their guitar. We enjoy beauty and expression, despite our rumored focus on academics. Tomorrow, I dance Argentine Tango outdoors and practice with the student circus, playing with fire, bodies, feathers, and stilts for a future show. Last Friday, I organized 40 people to give free hugs to everyone on campus. And in 6 hours of class today, I questioned the learning of number and language, the views of the world by Greek philosophers trying to decide if there is an answer to "What is?" and explored topology. We are not that big for a college, slightly over four thousand, but our number of activities is almost unmanageble. Sometimes, that is our weakness-- everyone is a leader or an idealist, and too much happens on those individual plots of land. We are still working on collaborating across groups. We are headstrong-- we WILL do what we have set out to do-- in fact, we dedicate 75k in school funds to fund these uncommon projects. I love that about us.

Steph

UChicago is absolutely amazing. I love the people, the classes, the core (the requirements every student has), the campus, the house system (the dorm system here), the location, etc. If I had the option, I’d change the weather (which tends to oscillate wildly and be freezing during the winter). The size is perfect for someone who wants to always meet new people, but always see familiar faces around as well. Also, despite the large amount of people that go here, UChicago’s house system (which breaks down undergraduates into various dorm ‘houses’) allows people to find a smaller group of people to depend on as their family. It’s really nice, and definitely one of my favorite parts about being here. When I tell students (from my high school, for example) that I go to UChicago, I can tell people don’t really know about the school’s reputation and prestige. However, talking to people who go to other top schools and employers, they’re always very impressed. On campus, my time is evenly spread out. I’ll hang out in my dorm/dorm lounge, go over to the library to study, meet friends at a coffee shop/dining hall to talk, go to the main quad for classes/other activities, etc. Everything’s close enough that walking everywhere is convenient and generally, pretty pleasant. Also, the location/surrounding college town is incredible. We’re very close to downtown and surrounded by some of the most interesting neighborhoods of Chicago. I wouldn’t change it all. There’s also a cute strip of small restaurants and things near campus and convenience stores/grocery stores within a small walking distance away. Public transportation for students go into the city is also very readily available near/on campus. And despite what I heard before I came to this school, UChicago certainly has pride. I wouldn’t say it’s as intense as a state school’s, but people do go to athletic events (like homecoming) and go to support teams. On an average day here, you’ll see many people walking around with UChicago gear. Students have some complaints – about the weather and the core – but nothing too major. . I’ve noticed that people that go to this school generally really like it and are proud to be here.

Melissa

This school is the perfect size. It's not so big that you're lost in the herd (although sometimes this may be the case), but it's not so small that everyone knows who you are. You can easily find new friends who haven't heard all the embarrassing gossip about you, and you can easily find people you already know in your classes. When I tell people I go to UChicago, the general reaction is "Oh, that's a good school..." with an awkward smile and glazed over eyes. Many think I'm going to state school, but if they haven't heard of the University of Chicago, it probably doesn't matter where they think I go. The people that matter know about the school. More and more people are hearing about UofC, however, likely due to Obama and admissions going insane with the PR. Times are changing for the University of Chicago. My first year I lived close to campus so I spent most of my time in the dorm or the C-Shop with friends. There are plenty of student hang outs on campus, and the A-Level of the Reg is often a popular destination. (It's a level of the library where students can talk.) I didn't go downtown much during the school year, since I was so busy around Hyde Park, but I've gotten out more during the summer. (I highly recommend living here during the summer!) For people who do have the time, the rest of Chicago is pretty easy to get to and there are plenty of things to do on weekends. One of the biggest problems on campus is racism. The University Police are pretty aggressive with the neighborhood and are known to stop people for "looking suspicious." The size of the police force is comforting, however, because there would be even more crime without them hanging around everywhere. I imagine it's hard to determine how much involvement is necessary. There is a lot of school pride, just not really in terms of sports. There are many self-deprecating t-shirts around campus, reiterating the familiar slogans: "Where fun comes to die," "Where the squirrels are cuter than the girls," etc. A lot of guys complain about how ugly the girls are here, but I really don't think the girls are any worse looking than the guys. Society has higher standards for women, and many women either reject these standards or are just too damn busy to take an hour to get ready in the morning. The school does have its fair share of traditionally "hot" girls. Essentially the school is just uglier than normal. (Tip: The guys who complain about how ugly the girls are generally very much alone.)

Julie

Uchicago has a great reputation in academia but most people think you go to UIC. If you want people to think you're the bees knees go to an ivy. if you are okay with just educated people knowing how good your school is then you'll be okay with uchicago.

Amy

The undergraduate body is small-ish (4500 students or so) but it's impossible to get to know everybody or do everything. As a third-year, I continue to meet lots of new people who are in my year. I feel like if I went to a school with a fourth the number of undergraduates, I wouldn't get that experience. I divide my time between Hyde Park and the rest of the city. Sometimes I'll go downtown 2-3 times a week, sometimes not for a month. People like to complain about Hyde Park (five places to buy books, zero places to buy pants), but I like it very much just the way it is... though yes, being able to buy pants here would be nice. If you come here, don't expect people to be patting your back about how awesome/smart you are. Yes, this school is prestigious, but only in certain circles (i.e. if people care about the name on the degree, like law schools, consulting firms, academia, they'll know the school and know how awesome it is) but I'm telling you right now that Joe the Plumber thinks we're the same as UIC or Chicago State. To me, that's also a blessing of sorts-- I didn't want to go to a school where students were overly self-satisfied with the name on their sweatshirt.

David

This school has been really good to me. It has taught me what I do and don't want to do after I graduate. It can be immensely difficult at times as it is on the quarter system. Depending on your major (the sciences are especially tough) you'll have just finished mid-terms when finals seem to be coming up next. The two things I'd change about the school: 1) the quarter system. Make it a semester system. Classes go by too quickly, it might be hard to absorb the information, it's stressful, and all your friends on the semester system start school before you and end before you (by a factor of about a month!) 2) The core curriculum is a bit over-rated in my opinion. I DID learn a lot, it WAS a good transition from high school education, and it does provide a good foundation for any college student's education. I don't want to get rid of it, it's just that they way it's taught (often, though not exclusively, by grad students and professors who don't like being stuck teaching first years). I LOVE how this school is in a city, and only a few miles by public transit or commuter rail from the downtown and North Side. The school is not gated, providing students with a more personal connection to local neighborhood life. It helps get away from the conception of the "ivory tower". There is a ton of school pride, though we don't necessarily express it at sports games. Theater performances, modeling contests, stand up comedy, acting, dancing, cultural groups, music, singing, orchestra, among others, are all well attended. Orientation week of first year was by far the best time I ever had in college in one given week. It continued throughout first year. Second year started to get more difficult, third year, with exception of study abroad, was even more intense, and I plan on making my fourth year the most relaxed and "college-like" as I can. By the way, telling people (or prospective employers) that you went to UChicago will be a huge boost! If you can make it here, you have developed a strong independence and a diligent work ethic. You can make it anywhere. Hell, even English majors graduate to become consultants in finance and trading firms.

Ryan

Chicago is a place where you'll get a vigorous education, which is why it surprises me when I get mixed reactions when I tell people where I go. Some have never heard about it, some immediately talk about how windy it is, and others are really impressed. It's a mixed bag, overall. Chicago has a perfect size: you know a lot of people, but it's still big enough so you don't know the intimate details of everyone's lives. The mix of people on campus really makes the difference for me, though. Everyone has such varied interests and passions that you learn a lot from your classmates in addition to your classes. From bhangra to abstract algebra, this school has one person who knows a whole lot about something really unique, and that's why I love this school so much.

Jason

Uchicago is a school that's different from many of the other top institutions. It's a very weird school, with many quirky traditions that you really have to be involved in to appreciate. Campus is alright on the south side of Chicago, and only a couple minutes bus ride from downtown.

Harper

I would increase the foreign language requirement. Many people have not heard of U Chicago, and react accordingly. There is school pride, but it is self-deprecating and unrelated to sports. A recent controversy surrounds the impending construction of a supplementary library; some find the proposed design ugly, others the location inconvenient.

Casey

Basically, the U of C is a small school where a lot of the people you know know each other. This is good in that professors usually know who you are; it's bad in that, well, professors usually know who you are. That said, it's nice not to get swallowed up in this sea of people, and to know that there are adults at the school who both know who you are and care that you make it through. I think my favorite thing about UChicago is that people do the strangest, most awesome things, and they don't even think about it. There are so many hidden talents, or just cool hobbies. There's the kid on the unicycle that I see everywhere, or tie-dye kid (who wears entirely tie-dye; it's cool); or even my friends who are great actors or great singers or great artists and I don't even know it until I wander into their room and see their amazing painting because they're a Chemistry major. People tend not to be easily definable at the University of Chicago, and I like that. Plus, most people are really really nice, and when you tell them that your greatest ambition in life is to learn how to juggle, they just take it in stride.

Morgan

There is more school pride here than anywhere I've visited but it isn't the kind that manifests itself at basketball games. It's more in the respect we show our fellow students by doing all of our work before class and contributing when we get there -- a mutual respect for the academic environment. We are all secretly or openly proud of the fact that we're intelligent, and when we want to impress each other we deconstruct Hobbes. When I tell people I go here, they're impressed and I'm up six points in their esteem already. If I could change something I'd add heated bus stops and a more challenged bio core, but it is hard to say that this school could get much better as what it is. We work hard and we love that. We have one dollar milkshakes on Wednesday, a five dollar movie theater on campus, and we live not too far from the lake. We have Reg tans -- the Reg being the library -- and sometimes we get out of Hyde Park and go downtown. It's a tame college town in the middle of a huge city, and it's lovely.

Chris

The best thing about UChicago is its location. It's in a very nice urban community on the south side of Chicago called Hyde Park and is only about 15-20 minutes outside the city by bus/train. Going downtown to see shows, movies, shop and just hang out is a big hit for students here. There is also a wide variety of things to do on and around the campus. There are many restaurants just a couple blocks away and it's like a mile from Lake Michigan which is awesome for barbecue on a nice, chill weekend afternoon. The school has a moderate population size of about 4500 undergraduates, which might seem like a huge number in comparison with small, liberal arts colleges. However, most of these people you do not see unless there's a really huge event taking place on campus, such as our popular Summer Breeze Carnival and Concert in May in each year. The entire campus is pretty big, mostly as a result of the graduate division. The college campus is pretty small and is primarily just the main quandrangle which is about a block in width and 2 blocks in length. Our campus boasts lush flowers and lawns, a botanical garden (with pond) and of course the neo-gothic architecture with ivies.

Will

Many of the students here seem obsessed with the self-image they are afforded by the University. Many of the students here at first considered the University of Chicago to be a backup school, and have inferiority complexes towards the Ivy League institutions that they were not accepted to. Thus, the people here can be quite arrogant and at times rude. Many students are satisfied just appearing intelligent, using words they do not understand and passing off second-hand ideas as their own. Nonetheless, there are also many people here who are truly passionate about life as well as their academic pursuits. There are students who think carefully about their perspectives and refine them if needed, well-rounded individuals who can enrich your life if you aren't too stubborn to listen to them.

Andy

When I tell someone that I go to the University of Chicago, I get one of three responses: 1. UIC? 2. Brrr, it's cold up there. 3. Wow, congratualtions.

Alex

I like the size. I spend most of my time on campus either in class, in the library, or in my dorm room. I would change the location of the school. It is kind of hard to get anywhere in Chicago from Hyde Park without a car. It takes a while to get downtown or to the Northside, especially when there is construction on the red line or when the red line was getting diverted through the loop. I think the admin is kind of out of touch with the student body. We kind of have school pride. but not in the typical sense. I have never been to a sports game, but I got into scav.

Dylan

The University of Chicago is exactly what a university should be--a place for research and learning. Other aspects of university life, such as athletics and the Greek system, are appropriately deemphasized.

Nico

There is often a love/hate relationship that students have with this school. It makes you want to hurl yourself off the tallest building you can find, but there is also a great feeling of accomplishment that comes with getting through this place.

My #1 suggestion to people looking into the University of Chicago is to make sure that the core is something that interests you. While I was aware of it, I did not fully understand what it was or the role it plays in the personality of the University. Make sure you understand what it is and if it sounds like something that you would like, then this may be the place for you.

annie

if you are really in it for the quality of education, this is the place to be.

Jesse

The best thing about this school is the intensity of everything. They don't teach you what to think, but HOW. They make you look at the world in a different way, and you start to notice things about yourself that you never would have found otherwise. The biggest drawback is that people either know UChicago, or they don't. If they know it, then they appreciate how good of a school it is. If not, you get the classic "Soooo, you go to UIC, huh?" No, I don't. School pride... hmm, well I don't think I could tell you what our mascot is! We have gargoyles all over campus, our team name is the "Maroons," there was a man in an armadillo suit at a football game, and we're known for nuclear chain reactions... In the end, I wouldn't trade places with anyone at any other school. This place drives you crazy, makes you think that the world's gone mad, and shoves self realization in your face. But you walk away after the battle victorious, and you understand something amazing about our society.

Tristan

The atmosphere of the school is pretty unique in good and bad ways. I love the architecture, but it's also very dreary. The neighborhood of Hyde Park is also nice, with quite a few interesting restaurants, cafes, and bookstores, but it has a bad reputation for crime which I suppose is founded, but I personally have yet to have a bad experience and generally feel safe on campus and around the neighborhood. Despite being Division III, sports are quite active, though the student support is lacking. It is definitely not a typical college in that regard. A lot of people, even natives of Chicago, don't really know that the University of Chicago exists. If you say you go to the University of Chicago, don't be surprised if they reply back "You mean Chicago State?" or "Where's that?" I find this rather amusing.

Devin

UChicago is well-known for it's intellectual atmosphere, and rightly so. Many of its students are honestly interested in the readings they do for class and approach essay writing as a way to investigate and express their own thoughts and opinions. Does that mean we spend 20/7 studying and reading? Hell no! We are not some breed of robot that only know how to read, do problem sets, and act awkward in social situations -- we are crazy teenagers too! There are definitely academic undertones to many things students do, whether at an improv show, during Scav Hunt, or at a frat party, but they don't overtly govern our lives. You will find people on all ranges of the talk-about-academics-all-the-time spectrum, and whatever range you find yourself in, you will definitely be in good company.

Tate

So I go out of campus, meet the Malaysian community who lives in Chicago, and their eyes would widen and "oohs" would escape from their lips when I say that I go to the University of Chicago. The public knows the University is one of the leading ones in the country, and we definitely know how rigorous and demanding the academic life here is. Here, we're really big about the "Life of the Mind". But essentially, when I arrived here, I was taken aback by how small the campus is. I could not believe that a small rectangle land, dubbed the "quad" can place the most rigorous academic pursuits in America. Truth be told, the campus lacks the feel of a real university, despite the sprawling lawns, and majestic looking buildings. But nonetheless, I have come to love the fact that it is integrated in the Hyde Park neighborhood, and the many community outreach programs the College initiates.

Tim

UChicago is totally unique, as a medium-sized liberal arts college situated in one of the world's premier research universities. As if that weren't enough, it's situated (though not ideally located, in rather boring Hyde Park) in a great city with plentiful cultural activities, beautiful parks, and adequate public transportation. The most striking thing about this place, and I'd imagine any comparable school, is that the people--professors and students alike--are usually damn smart, and this sometimes shows itself most in the contexts you'd least expect. Students complain about lack of social life and the rigor of classes, but either of these is totally manageable and ultimately worthwhile if one is even the least bit proactive. Complaining and self-deprecation are among the top extracurriculars, but it's often tongue-in-cheek.

marybeth

There's alot of coffee on this campus. Yay coffee! The best thing about UChicago is that everyone loves being here.

David

The best things about the U of C is the academics -- it is hands down the best in the country. Other good things are that the class sizes are small, which gives you the opportunity to actually talk and interact in your classes, which doesn't happen at a lot of big schools. And, they are pretty cool about letting you do your own thing: the dorms are quite relaxed environments about drinking and parties, they have all night libraries so you can set your own study schedule, and basically the whole school is very open to your use. Unfortunately, in many ways the bad things outweigh the good, or at least far outnumber them. The academics are amazing, but at what cost? Your happiness, personality, physical and mental health, and confidence. It is the most academically rigorous, intense, and merciless school in the country. If you get sick, you are screwed. Teachers are unlikely to give you an extension, and if they do it will only be a day or two. And, there is no one in the administration who will take your side -- your professors have complete totalitarian control about how much suffering they put you through and how much they hurt your GPA. Not all of the teachers want their students to suffer, but quite a few of them do and there is no safety net for you if you happen to get one of these teachers. Also, the other students, while many of them are awesome, are mostly horrid. Too many are cut-throat, self-centered, pretentious, mean, and malicious. This school will work you harder than you ever thought possible and harder than anyone should honestly be pushed. And, while Hyde Park can be nice, it is actually very dangerous. I was assaulted for no reason last year; a guy simply came up to me on the street, yelled at me, and then punched me in the face. And, my car was broken into last year, and my roommate was mugged. These are not isolated incidences. Over 20 young males have been randomly attacked in Hyde Park because gangs of teenagers simply beat them up, and there is a lot of muggings and armed robberies. Just this year a graduate student was shot a block away from campus by a mugger. To make matters worse, the U of C doesn't really care. They will tell you that you are safe -- don't believe them. You can't walk around Hyde Park after dark and even the campus isn't safe at late hours. This is one of the worst things about the U of C. The city of Chicago is great, but you most likely won't get to go downtown much because you will be so overworked. Overall, this school offers an amazing academic education, but it is too stressful and needlessly rigorous, and you will not get the well-rounded college experience of extracurriculars, good people, sports, and fun that you would get at most colleges. And, it is a dangerous area, and the school both lies about this aspect of the school and does not do enough to ensure your safety.

Denis

When you go through this school you and everyone who went there (and some that just heard) will know that you had Chicago education. Can't say that about most other coreless schools

abimbola

One thing I would change about the University of Chicago is the discourse that goes on about race. I think that there are gross perceptions about certain races, particularly African Americans that circulate around this school by people who are not educated in that subject. Many times it seems to make a joke about a certain neighborhood and warn people to avoid that place, but we should really take pause and ask ourselves and those who say such things why they say them. I wish that the University would get to the root of the extensive race issues that are underneath the surface of its pristine lawns and neo-gothic buildings. Race is an issue that this University must deal with at one point or another and whether we like it or not we contribute to the problem, by not making it more of an issue to those in charge.

Patrice

I love and hate the quarter system. If you are stuck with a class you hate, you only have to put up with it for ten weeks. On the other hand, the curriculum is very intense because we learn in ten weeks what most people learn in fifteen weeks. It would be nice to have a college town, but the city is only fifteen minutes away. I wish I could go into the city more, but I do make it a priority to get off campus at least once a week for a break. I don't mind the quarter system but I would change our start date. Instead of beginning school at the end of September, I'd rather we begin at the end of August. I almost transferred at the end of my freshmen year, and I'm glad I stayed. I've made excellent friends, and I love my activities.

Katherine

The school's pretty small for a university. We're only about 5,000 undergrads. That may seem like a lot to some people, but I've found it to be a good number: you recognize a lot of people all over campus, but at the same time you don't feel stifled by knowing -everyone-. Our school's famous in the academic world, but otherwise I'm not sure how well known we are...but that's kind of a relief. Anyway, we're becoming more recognized for our academics worldwide which is pretty awesome. I spend a lot of my time on campus around my dorm building since most of my best friends live in my house. But we go downtown when we feel too claustrophobic to go shopping. Chicago's definitely not a collegetown since it's a big city, but it has so many great museums, stores and other sites that are college friendly. The nightlife, however, is not under-21 friendly. So on weekends, most people stick to campus to go out. Our school pride is...different, but reflective of our school culture. We're not a sport school, so we don't have huge turnouts at games, but during Scav Hunt (one of our biggest school traditions) we have people completely dedicated to their dorm's team for 4 days straight.