Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

doug

I came here essentially not knowing anyone but by the end of the first week i met a whole different array of people and met some of my closest friends since i've been here. I like the atmosphere that surrounds UD the most, i love how cleanly and modern the campus is and it just personifies a welcoming aura.

Just like any place there are many different cultured people, in personality and physicality.

I was lucky enough to be placed on a dorm floor that everyone liked to interact with the others around them. Every night, it seems, i am up until at least 1 am and interacting with the people around me willingly. People seem to party fairly often and i believe that fraternities play a big role on campus because of the extra curricular events that they plan around campus and the community service and help they provide to the community that surrounds them.

The professors know my name. Overall the classes i take are larger lectures which would make it difficult to ask certain questions without the class being interupted, but the professors have open office hours and TA's that are always there to help.

Theres been a lot of rumors going around about us being racist and not playin del state cause their essentially all african american.

jen

best thing about UD is chi omega. one thing i'd change is the strike policy. i think it makes people scared to do the right thing (like call an ambulance when someone is seriously in bad shape), i think the size is just right. people say "oh that's a party school" when i tell them I go to UD. i spend most of my time on choate street and and klondike kate's, COLLEGE TOWN, i think the administration is just great, biggest recent controversy- not too sure, NOT ENOUGH SCHOOL PRIDE. football games are semi- lame compared to other schools. unusual- that depends on your personal opinion. i think it is pretty standard "college", one experience i'll always remember is pledging a sorority, most frequent student complaints: mine are the advisement within colleges and the "strike" policy. doesn't make people want to do the right thing.

sports themes and greek life. i am involved with chi omega and it is the classiest group of women i've ever known. yes- doors open in dorms. athletic events- just football, NO DATING SCENE. guys don't believe in dates. i met my closest friends in my freshman dorm (not floor) and my sorority. 2 am on a tuesday i am usually coming back from 90s night at kate's. traditions/events= homecoming, greek week. people party every day, greek life is important to me because i am a part of it. last weekend i went home (had to). i'm not sure what you can do on a sat. night without drinking. hang out with friends? off campus, mall, restaurants.

Adrian

People are always impressed when you say you go to UD. Its known as a very good school by most professional communities. The school is just the right size. Campus is not too big at all, and the number of people is not bad at all. Personally, I chose delaware over penn state because of its size. Newark, DE is a college town. The surrounding areas are a little bit shady in some spots. But even those aren't bad. There is only one real "main street." The bars around are just average, and personally I'm not a big fan. But there are always things going on like house parties and stuff like that. The most persistant complaint is the three strike policy. This is a policy that says if you get in trouble with the university (or with the Newark police) for three instances than you get put on differed suspension, which means you get kicked out. This policy sucks, because the cops around the area suck.

As stated before, you can find just about anything on campus. ANYTHING!!!!

There are plenty of good looking girls here at delaware, in fact I think the ratio between guys and girls is like 60% girls and 40% guys.

At UD most of your classes with be large freshman year, and then get smaller as you get older. But other than that, your education is how ever you want it to be. I know people that never miss a class and people that never go to class, and both can survive. Its all up to you. You can get to know your professors if you want to, through office hours or becoming active with undergrad research, or simply by participating. Overall its what you make of it. The engineering department was very good. i think that the classes are scheduled so that you can graduate with as little hassle as possible. The only problem I had was with the senior design project, which is not up to par with other school's senior design projects (Civil/Environmental Department).

There are all sorts of club sports (for us that did not want to play for colleges), and organizations. On campus the greek life is only about 20% of the student body. So its not so big, but is plenty evident if thats what you want to get into.

Kevin

I'd say the size of Delaware is just right. It's big enough where that there's room to be involved in an array of school sponsered activities and meet a wide range of students. But it's small enough that after a semester you can feel at home there and by the end of your four years you'll see many familiar faces on the walks to class and around campus. UD used to be known as a "party school" which results in some somewhat negative reactions when people hear that I went to UD. Partying is pretty prevalent on campus but it really has shifted away from being a "party school." Having worked in admissions, I can say that UD gets more selective every year and is rising in the ranks academically. The party scene is there if you want it but there is plenty of opportunity to get a respectable education. I believe its academic status will overshadow its former reputation in the years to come. Newark, DE is a college town. Some people may see this as a negative as you may not seem to escape the college atmosphere. I enjoyed it after moving off campus because while you acquire independence odds are your friends are living in a house down the street. Since there's such a high percentage of students living off campus, there is great opportunity to meet your neighbors. Recent controversy on campus would probably be security in Newark, DE. Several muggings, among other incidents, make it a little sketchy to walk around Newark alone at night. I would say walking directly on campus is generally safe, as there are more security measures in place. The football team has been quite competitive recently (they won the championship in 2003.) Consequently, there is school pride on campus but I wouldn't say it's overwhelming. The games give you something to do on weekends and are usually a good time. I wouldn't say there is anything particularly unusual about UD. You could probably have similar experiences at serveral schools around the same area. My overall experience at UD was positive. The size of and activities at UD, as well as the general atmosphere, make it easy to make new freinds. While I received a good education and enjoyed my actual time spent on campus, I've found that it's the specific friends I met that made my college experience as good as it was.

I would recommend becoming active in some activity. There's the frat/sorority scene and club sports which can help you make lots of friends but may end up dictating your social life as well. Otherwise, there are plenty of clubs to join and you and your friends can start an intramaural sports team. These can give you things to do but won't necessary overwhelm you.

You definitely get that dynamic at UD but it's big enough where you are able to find your own niche.

Classes I had were usually pretty big, so you probably won't always have a close relationship with your professors. Workload really depends on what major is selected from a wide range. I think I walked out with a respectable degree (Civil Engineering) but I would have liked more school support in helping me acquire internships/job after graduation. There are some resources but I've found you're pretty much on your own.

White, upper middle class, ambercrombie wearing kids who drink a lot.

Jamie

The best thing about UD?! Everything! I absolutely loved everything about University of Delaware. I love that its a big school but it has that small school feeling, i love the people, the classes, the school spirit, the campus...everything! I get very positive reactions when I tell people I graduated from UD. Everyone seems to have a fun story related to the school. I have so many memories from UD. My favorite part - the people. I have met people that i will never forget. My best friends are the ones I have met at UD. Somethink i will always remember - the crazy religous guy who preached to the students outside of kirkbride and smith every tuesday and thursday afternoon.

You will find a variety of people at UD. There are the typical sorority girls, frat guys, athletes, geeks, goth kids, emo kids, tree-huggers, shy kids, old people and everything in between. I never saw any issues between students. I thought that everyone seemed to get along well. I think that people were able to interact with who they wanted to. I think that everyone who graduates from UD does receive a great education.

I mean for some- yes! But I mean you can find underage drinking at any college. I think that UD isn't as big as a "party" school as it has been in the past. You can definitely find other activities to do on the weekends if drinking isn't your thing. But if it is-- you can always find a party!

Ummm let me think.. I would say a big stereotype is that its a big party school and all UD students do is get drunk.

I think that the football games are the most popular team on campus. I think that tailgating and homecoming are major events that brings a lot of the students together. You can see the school spirit within the current students and the alumni.

Academics, academics. I enjoyed most of the classes i took at UD. I wasnt a fan of some of the professors but you will find that anywhere. The professors will know your name if you want them too. Most of the intro classes are huge so you dont have that personal relationship unless you make the effort to go see them during office hours. In my junior and senior year I took classes that were much smaller. I really got to know my professors- they were always available to see and help me. I never felt very overwhelmed with work. I actually thought most of the required courses for the College of ARts and Sciences were easy.

Meaghan

I think UD is a perfect size school. Theres still tons of people to meet yet I always feel like I have a core group of friends. Its big enough that there are plenty of opportunities yet I still feel very involved on campus and there are a lot of opportunities to be a leader. I think that people respect the University of Delaware locally! Many of my friends were rejected from UD but got into other good schools like the University of Maryland. However, I've noticed that when travelling around the nation for soccer tournemnts, we are not very well known. Delaware is a small state without any huge sity or major attraction so I think people assume UD is not a great school. I spend most of my time either in class or in my house off South Chapel. I am often running around main street to do errands or visiting my friends and boyfriend in their off campus houses or apartments.

UD does not have a very diverse student body. Most people are white and upper middle class.

Now that I'm a senior I feel that my classes are very small and most professors know my name. I actively aprticiapte in all my classes but I know many students rarely raise their hands or even go to class for that matter. Some classes are strictly exams and attendance and participation are not necessary to get an A in the class- just reading the books or getting the notes offline will do. Other classes require attendance and you need to put in a lot more effort. I am a leadership major and many people have never heard of it or don't understand it. Its kind of frustrating because it has a silly name but it is a really great major. We take all the same business classes the business majors have to take and then we also take additional classes and get training that is crucial for any job. We take decision making classes, power and social responsibility classes, consumer policy classes, public speaking and presentation classes as well as other interesting classes. I have gotten a lot of training on sustainability and how to handle the people side of business, not just how to make the most money, bottom line profit.

Sororites and fraternities are very popular on campus. The most popular sororities are Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa and Alpha Phi. The most popular fraternities are Sigma Alpha Mu (Sammy), Sigma Chi and Theta Chi. Club sports and intramural sports are also very popular among students. Football taigates are very popular and more students attend the pregame party than the actual game in the stadium. The dating scence is rare to non exsistent. Boys dont take girls out on dates anymore. My boyfriends idea of going out to dinner is taking me to wings to go. Partying can and does happen on pretty much every day of the week. Once you turn 21 house parties are non exsistent and each bar has their own day. Sunday and Monday are usually for doing work- but if youre up to drinking grottos is the place to go. Tuesdays are 90s night at Kates, Wednesday is Iron Hill, Thursday is deer park or kates, and friday and sat are whatever bar is least crowded, but usually Kates or grottos.

UD's campus is beautiful. I think the number of students is just right. When I tell people I attend UD, one of the first reactions I get is, "OH, that's a party school." While students like to party, I wouldn't classify Delaware as a top party school. As I further in my undergraduate career, UD is getting harder to get into and the incoming freshman classes keep getting smarter. I think UD is beginning to be recognized for its strength in academics. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the FIRE incident involving Residence Life at the university. Students are proud to be Blue Hens. The football team received the most support. Students often complain about parking, and classroom availability.

Most UD students I have met are from Delaware, New Jersey, New York or Pennsylvania. As a staff member at The Review, we interact with a variety of groups on campus. Often racial and LGBT groups feel they are under-represented on campus. The Review has held group meetings to discuss these issues and communicate with the groups. Middle-class to upper-middle class, socio-economic groups seem to be the most prevalent at UD. On a whole, students are apathetic when it comes to politics. However,this election seems to have sparked more student interest, however.

From working at The Review, I feel UD students are apathetic concerning many issues. The editorial section of our paper tries to voice opinion to the student body and is always looking for guest columnists.

The University of Delaware is not a very diverse campus. University officials are always trying to promote diversity, but in reality, UD does not rank high in diversity among other universities. UD students are stereotyped to be apathetic concering campus and nationwide issues.

Most of my professors know my name within the first two weeks of classes. My favorite class is the History of the Animated Cartoon. Class is based on discussion of cartoons shown during the period. This is probably the most unique class I have taken thus far in my academic career. I also enjoy my Women in British Theater course. This class is also centered around discussion and all students sit in a circle to keep dialogue flowing. I have had a positive experience so far with the English Department at the university. I feel all the journalism courses I have taken up to this point, have helped me as an editor at The Review, and I will take this information with me into the working world. I feel education at UD is geared toward leaning for its own sake; however, professors and advisers are very open to helping students obtain an internship. The Career Services building on campus also helps with this. I keep in contact with all my journalism professors. They are very willing to help and provide support and direction.

Greek life is popular at UD. Football games are the most popular, publicized events at the university. The PTTP theater program is nationally recognized. I met my closest friends from living in the same dorm as them freshman year. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm most likely finishing a paper or cramming for an exam. People Party on average 3 nights per week. Movies are offered at Trabant, the student center, on weekend nights. Most shopping is off campus.

Ryan

best thing- people (students and faculty) and community (gorgeous campus and awesome main st!!) change- career services- more help with direction/setting up on campus interviews/career searching, etc size- just right...always meeting new people but not too big that you lose touch or get swallowed up football games are a blast!!(esp. when the team's good) most of the school spirit is there and tailgating beforehand. i had fun at the basketball games too, but there wasn't a huge student crowd.

UD definitely does have its JAPs but they by no means dominate the crowd. my friends were from all over the mid-atlantic region(NJ,NY,PA,MA,DE,VA) with all kinds of interests, majors, and personalities. there's a scene and a mix of people for everyone at UD. the party scene's the same way. there in full force for all interested but the school and main st offer other things to do if it's not your style. especially once i moved off campus, main street became my second home...whether it was $2 25 oz beers at grotto's (miss you!) or people watching while sitting outside at kate's.

the "JAP"-py girl is everywhere. i think like every school, some say UD is huge for its party scene and others think it's not enough.

i was in the honors program, and felt like my honors courses with smaller classes really got me closer with professors. a lot of this is up to you. when you first come in as a freshman, yea, you're going to have some big lecture halls. take the initiative to introduce yourself, ask questions, go to study sessions, and get the small group or one-on-one time to get to know professors better. in one honors course on American Constitutional History, the honors section (only 6 people i think) met outside of class at BrewHaHa a local coffeehouse to discuss current events relevant to our coursework. i really loved this one, because it was taught by Dr. Eric Rise who is awesome, and it gave me some great, in depth dialogue with a brilliant professor and more motivated students in a smaller setting.

Michelle

There is a great deal of school pride. UD football is huge and the tailgates are INSANE! UD has great bars compared to other schools I've visited, and overall the party scene is considered to be one of the best around. Main Street has a great variety of food--great restaurants and take-out places. It rivals any campus' I've seen. It is very very difficult to get into bars unless you are 21. Newark is veryyy strict about fake IDs. Because of this, most underage kids go to house parties and most 21+ go to the bars.

UD's students are primarily all white and appear to be middle to upper class. There is not much diversity at all. There is a lot of emphasis on appearance and everyone follows similar fashions. Most students wear sweats to class during the winter, but as soon as warm weather comes pretty much all the girls break out the skirts and dresses. Most UD students are from New York, New Jersey, Boston, PA and Delaware. Students are NOT very politically aware or active.

There is about 60% girls at UD, and most of them are very attractive which makes the dating scene very competitive. UD is basically all white people. There are a lot of UGG boots, Northface jackets, leggings, big sunglasses, etc among the girls at UD.

Greek Life is very popular. Each sorority has about 100+ members. Greek Week during the Spring semester and Homecoming during the Fall are Greek Life's two biggest events. The biggest event of the year is Airband- an annual competition between all the sororities and fraternities where they perform a dance/skit. It is VERY competitive and sororities practice literally hundreds of hours for it. The social atmosphere of Delaware primarily revolves around drinking, whether you are 21 or not.

Some classes are very large and some are very small depending on the department and the level of the course. I have had courses ranging from 15 students sitting around one table to a lecture hall filled with 370 students. Class participation is common in smaller classes and rare in large classes. There is a definite distinction between people who are trying to go to Med/Law/Grad school and the people who are just there because their parents want them to get a degree or because they want to have fun. I have encountered lots of both of these types of people.

Erika

I think that the Strike policy is incredibly out of control. I also believe that students are afraid to call 911 for a friend that may be in danger (from drinking etc.) because they do not want that friend to get in trouble. This is a horrible thing because it is putting students in serious danger!

Most professors know my name because the Dietetics major is fairly small. I think the Nutrition and Dietetics program is well planned and invigorating.

I believe Greek life at UD is growing. I highly enjoy being in a sorority and believe it has greatly improved my view of the Univerisity.

UD is laid back, fun, and very well known for it's academics

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.