Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Meaghan

I think UD is a perfect size school. Theres still tons of people to meet yet I always feel like I have a core group of friends. Its big enough that there are plenty of opportunities yet I still feel very involved on campus and there are a lot of opportunities to be a leader. I think that people respect the University of Delaware locally! Many of my friends were rejected from UD but got into other good schools like the University of Maryland. However, I've noticed that when travelling around the nation for soccer tournemnts, we are not very well known. Delaware is a small state without any huge sity or major attraction so I think people assume UD is not a great school. I spend most of my time either in class or in my house off South Chapel. I am often running around main street to do errands or visiting my friends and boyfriend in their off campus houses or apartments.

UD does not have a very diverse student body. Most people are white and upper middle class.

Now that I'm a senior I feel that my classes are very small and most professors know my name. I actively aprticiapte in all my classes but I know many students rarely raise their hands or even go to class for that matter. Some classes are strictly exams and attendance and participation are not necessary to get an A in the class- just reading the books or getting the notes offline will do. Other classes require attendance and you need to put in a lot more effort. I am a leadership major and many people have never heard of it or don't understand it. Its kind of frustrating because it has a silly name but it is a really great major. We take all the same business classes the business majors have to take and then we also take additional classes and get training that is crucial for any job. We take decision making classes, power and social responsibility classes, consumer policy classes, public speaking and presentation classes as well as other interesting classes. I have gotten a lot of training on sustainability and how to handle the people side of business, not just how to make the most money, bottom line profit.

Sororites and fraternities are very popular on campus. The most popular sororities are Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa and Alpha Phi. The most popular fraternities are Sigma Alpha Mu (Sammy), Sigma Chi and Theta Chi. Club sports and intramural sports are also very popular among students. Football taigates are very popular and more students attend the pregame party than the actual game in the stadium. The dating scence is rare to non exsistent. Boys dont take girls out on dates anymore. My boyfriends idea of going out to dinner is taking me to wings to go. Partying can and does happen on pretty much every day of the week. Once you turn 21 house parties are non exsistent and each bar has their own day. Sunday and Monday are usually for doing work- but if youre up to drinking grottos is the place to go. Tuesdays are 90s night at Kates, Wednesday is Iron Hill, Thursday is deer park or kates, and friday and sat are whatever bar is least crowded, but usually Kates or grottos.

UD's campus is beautiful. I think the number of students is just right. When I tell people I attend UD, one of the first reactions I get is, "OH, that's a party school." While students like to party, I wouldn't classify Delaware as a top party school. As I further in my undergraduate career, UD is getting harder to get into and the incoming freshman classes keep getting smarter. I think UD is beginning to be recognized for its strength in academics. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the FIRE incident involving Residence Life at the university. Students are proud to be Blue Hens. The football team received the most support. Students often complain about parking, and classroom availability.

Most UD students I have met are from Delaware, New Jersey, New York or Pennsylvania. As a staff member at The Review, we interact with a variety of groups on campus. Often racial and LGBT groups feel they are under-represented on campus. The Review has held group meetings to discuss these issues and communicate with the groups. Middle-class to upper-middle class, socio-economic groups seem to be the most prevalent at UD. On a whole, students are apathetic when it comes to politics. However,this election seems to have sparked more student interest, however.

From working at The Review, I feel UD students are apathetic concerning many issues. The editorial section of our paper tries to voice opinion to the student body and is always looking for guest columnists.

The University of Delaware is not a very diverse campus. University officials are always trying to promote diversity, but in reality, UD does not rank high in diversity among other universities. UD students are stereotyped to be apathetic concering campus and nationwide issues.

Most of my professors know my name within the first two weeks of classes. My favorite class is the History of the Animated Cartoon. Class is based on discussion of cartoons shown during the period. This is probably the most unique class I have taken thus far in my academic career. I also enjoy my Women in British Theater course. This class is also centered around discussion and all students sit in a circle to keep dialogue flowing. I have had a positive experience so far with the English Department at the university. I feel all the journalism courses I have taken up to this point, have helped me as an editor at The Review, and I will take this information with me into the working world. I feel education at UD is geared toward leaning for its own sake; however, professors and advisers are very open to helping students obtain an internship. The Career Services building on campus also helps with this. I keep in contact with all my journalism professors. They are very willing to help and provide support and direction.

Greek life is popular at UD. Football games are the most popular, publicized events at the university. The PTTP theater program is nationally recognized. I met my closest friends from living in the same dorm as them freshman year. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm most likely finishing a paper or cramming for an exam. People Party on average 3 nights per week. Movies are offered at Trabant, the student center, on weekend nights. Most shopping is off campus.

Ryan

best thing- people (students and faculty) and community (gorgeous campus and awesome main st!!) change- career services- more help with direction/setting up on campus interviews/career searching, etc size- just right...always meeting new people but not too big that you lose touch or get swallowed up football games are a blast!!(esp. when the team's good) most of the school spirit is there and tailgating beforehand. i had fun at the basketball games too, but there wasn't a huge student crowd.

UD definitely does have its JAPs but they by no means dominate the crowd. my friends were from all over the mid-atlantic region(NJ,NY,PA,MA,DE,VA) with all kinds of interests, majors, and personalities. there's a scene and a mix of people for everyone at UD. the party scene's the same way. there in full force for all interested but the school and main st offer other things to do if it's not your style. especially once i moved off campus, main street became my second home...whether it was $2 25 oz beers at grotto's (miss you!) or people watching while sitting outside at kate's.

the "JAP"-py girl is everywhere. i think like every school, some say UD is huge for its party scene and others think it's not enough.

i was in the honors program, and felt like my honors courses with smaller classes really got me closer with professors. a lot of this is up to you. when you first come in as a freshman, yea, you're going to have some big lecture halls. take the initiative to introduce yourself, ask questions, go to study sessions, and get the small group or one-on-one time to get to know professors better. in one honors course on American Constitutional History, the honors section (only 6 people i think) met outside of class at BrewHaHa a local coffeehouse to discuss current events relevant to our coursework. i really loved this one, because it was taught by Dr. Eric Rise who is awesome, and it gave me some great, in depth dialogue with a brilliant professor and more motivated students in a smaller setting.

Michelle

There is a great deal of school pride. UD football is huge and the tailgates are INSANE! UD has great bars compared to other schools I've visited, and overall the party scene is considered to be one of the best around. Main Street has a great variety of food--great restaurants and take-out places. It rivals any campus' I've seen. It is very very difficult to get into bars unless you are 21. Newark is veryyy strict about fake IDs. Because of this, most underage kids go to house parties and most 21+ go to the bars.

UD's students are primarily all white and appear to be middle to upper class. There is not much diversity at all. There is a lot of emphasis on appearance and everyone follows similar fashions. Most students wear sweats to class during the winter, but as soon as warm weather comes pretty much all the girls break out the skirts and dresses. Most UD students are from New York, New Jersey, Boston, PA and Delaware. Students are NOT very politically aware or active.

There is about 60% girls at UD, and most of them are very attractive which makes the dating scene very competitive. UD is basically all white people. There are a lot of UGG boots, Northface jackets, leggings, big sunglasses, etc among the girls at UD.

Some classes are very large and some are very small depending on the department and the level of the course. I have had courses ranging from 15 students sitting around one table to a lecture hall filled with 370 students. Class participation is common in smaller classes and rare in large classes. There is a definite distinction between people who are trying to go to Med/Law/Grad school and the people who are just there because their parents want them to get a degree or because they want to have fun. I have encountered lots of both of these types of people.

Greek Life is very popular. Each sorority has about 100+ members. Greek Week during the Spring semester and Homecoming during the Fall are Greek Life's two biggest events. The biggest event of the year is Airband- an annual competition between all the sororities and fraternities where they perform a dance/skit. It is VERY competitive and sororities practice literally hundreds of hours for it. The social atmosphere of Delaware primarily revolves around drinking, whether you are 21 or not.

Erika

I think that the Strike policy is incredibly out of control. I also believe that students are afraid to call 911 for a friend that may be in danger (from drinking etc.) because they do not want that friend to get in trouble. This is a horrible thing because it is putting students in serious danger!

Most professors know my name because the Dietetics major is fairly small. I think the Nutrition and Dietetics program is well planned and invigorating.

I believe Greek life at UD is growing. I highly enjoy being in a sorority and believe it has greatly improved my view of the Univerisity.

UD is laid back, fun, and very well known for it's academics

The best thing about UD is that its a great all around college experience. I wish there was more of a bar scene and that there weren't so many townies

Most students are white middle class. Most students are from the new york, new jersey delaware area

For the most part i think they are accurate

I am a member of one of the largest sororities on campus. It definitely helps your social life because events help you meet many people. On the average weekend we go to the bars and then have parties afterwards and my friends apts.

My major is very small so you get close with the professors and have classes that are very interactive. To some extent I believe my major apparel design is a little disorganized and has an extremely high workload but you definitely graduate knowing your trade.

Some stereotypes are that they are white, middle class, all american type kids

Best: size, beautiful campus Size: just right People say UD is a good school, must be smart, etc. Time on campus: The Review College Town, Main Street Administration -- whatever. Recent controversy: Residence Life/FIRE Lots of school pride Always remember The Review complaints about diversity

Favorite classes: Politics and Media, Literature of the Land, History of Rock Professors know by name in smaller classes.

Greek life is popular. Met best friends freshman year. Football is popular. Not enough concerts.

Blake

I feel that my school is the perfect size. When I tell people I go here I always get positive responses, but more so from parents who have children around my age and understand the university's current standing and level of competition. I spend most of my time on campus going to the gym or class. This is definitly a college town. I think that some of the administration is to caught up in ridiculous rules. The Strike and Judicial Affairs system is by far an ongoing controversy. Lots of school prode.

I don't think anyone would feel out of place. It's a diverse, comfortable campus demographic. Students wear jeans, leggings or sweatpants to class. I have found that there is a split in the financial background, some are very concerned with money while others are not.

To a certain degree, however, I have found many of my classmates to be smart and dedicated students.

I feel that Greek Life is the most popular, however, it is only 20 percent of campus. Football games are very popular. I met all my friends freshman year in the dorms and around at parties. Homecoming is a huge tradition. People party between 2-5 times a week. I went out last weeked. I don't know what to do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking. I live off campus.

If it's small enough. Class participation is uncommon but I am in large lecture halls. Students are not as competitive as they were in my high school.

Liz

The best thing about UD is the green. That is why I came here. The size is just right, not too big, not too small... Overall I feel like its an average, typical college.

The food!! Delaware needs to improve their oncampus food options. But I hear we are a lot better than other schools...

The lack of diversity is stuck in a cycle because diverse students don't want to come to a school where they will be singled out so I dont feel we are a racist school, and compared to other schools I would say we are average with parties, and its true for the girl stereotype.

That UD is a racist school, that all the girls go tanning, are blonde and wear uggs, that we are a party school,

Overall, I feel at UD there are the smart party people. So you might catch them having an intellectual conversation outside the classroom but then find them partying an hour later. And I think thats cool. Except when intellectual conversations dont happen in class because everyone is hung over.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.