University of Delaware Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Delaware

Anna

The University of Delaware is a great school and definitely an excellent option for in-state students. The professors are very knowledgeable and accessible. The dorms are nice and there are lots of options at the three dining halls. I feel safe on campus.

jamilah

It's a pretty decent campus, very beautiful and rustic. The teachers are knowledgeable and fair most of the time. I enjoy my time on campus and the different events that go on. Concerts are nice! Wish the non-greek students had better groups and it wasn't so divided.

Afua

My first opinion of UD was that it was not an inclusive environment. Being an African American female at a predominately white institution, I found it quite difficult to connect with others, even in the black community sometimes. However, now that I am an uprising sophomore, I have started to appreciate all that UD has to offer. It has wonderful academics and a variety of clubs. My overall opinion of UD now is that it is an environment that takes time to adjust to. It's not perfect right off the bat, but you can always find a place at home.

Holly

I haven't visited yet, I'm just looking at reviews

Juliette

The overall interpretation of UD is that it is just a party school, but it's nothing like what people think. Yes, there is a party scene, as most colleges have, but there are so many other things to do. There is something for everyone to do. The best thing to ever happen to me. University of Delaware is my home away from home.

Jocelyn

UD is a large school but once you go here it feels so tiny. The community is diverse and everyone is involved in something on campus

James

UD is a great school with surprisingly rigorous academics. The school is located in a large suburban area near Philly/Baltimore/NYC. Most people who attend here are from NJ, NY, Southeastern PA, Metro MD/VA, and DE. Greek Life is pretty large, but not necessarily dominant. Housing and food could be better, but the beautiful campus and social atmosphere make up for it.

Raquel

I will be attending the University of Delaware for the 2017/2018 school year. The college process was stressful, but once I stepped foot on the campus I knew it was the place for me. The campus is absolutely stunning with a great town. Main Street has a ton of shops, bars, and restaurants so if there are always places to go! UD is not super far from Philly or NYC which is great for people who love city life. It is a medium sized school so you may have lecture halls with 50 or more kids(usually in introductory courses), but you also have smaller classes depending on your major and course. The food is not superb, but the surrounding eateries make up for the mediocre food. Most of the dorms are recently renovated with elevators, AC and huge lounge areas. There are still dorms like the one I am assigned to that have no ac and they're still pretty spacious. I spend the night at UD so I know the party scene is pretty heavy. Greek Life is big, but it does not determine your social status. Even though we party hard at UD our academics are the most important thing, so students never let parties interfere with their studies. Also Joe Biden, former Vice President is an alum and a very friendly one! Anyways it's college so it will be the best at times or the worst at times.

Lyndsie

I am super glad I decided to attend this college. I did a complete 180 my freshman year with my major choice and was glad UD was able to accommodate me with their large variety of majors. The hands on Pre-vet labs are amazing and super informative.

Brandi

University of Delaware is the sort of place that puts a smile on your face as you're coming and an even bigger smile on your face as you're leaving. The students there are focused, yet their sense of humor can be mischievous. At UD (never call it "Udel" in front of a blue hen. You'll thank me later) you'll find a little bit of everything and it's what truly makes it a home away from home. P.S. We also have Chick-fil-a on campus!

Love it!!!!

Kim

Being centrally located on the East, the University of Delaware has easy access to quite a few metropolitan areas which allows for all access learning. The campus, sport and academic life is well balanced. This is a university where it is up to you to make the most of it, in other words opportunity abounds take it and run.

Kathryn

In the past, the University of Delaware had an issue with diversity and misrepresentation of the student body. While I am a white female, I recognize that there is a lack of representation on campus for students of other ethnicities and backgrounds. However, whenever there is a call to action, the student body comes together and unites in a way that surprises me. Among peaceful protesting, there have been walkouts, demonstrations, and public meetings where students' individual voices are actively supported and encouraged. Although there could be an improvement in the opportunities given on campus for minority students, UD is getting better, and I'm proud to say I stand in a community that is evolving.

shaina

I have not officially become a student at the University of Delaware, but I recently took a visit there for the Decision Day event. To be quite honest, I experienced a lot of frustration going through the different sessions that the school provided. Things were very unorganized and seemed out of place. There were so many students helping to run the event but only about two real were adults present. I had many questions that I need to be answered and the students did not really know how to answer them.

Tory

I think this University has everything possible, it is a large school but it is very easy to make it small just by joining clubs or participating in floor activities freshman year. I am currently a Junior and if I don't want to drink on my night out it is not frowned upon. There are so many opportunities, If you want to do something all you have to do is ask and check online. I wasn't sure that I was going to like it here when I first showed up two years ago, now I can't imagine going anywhere else than this beautiful campus.

I love the people, classes, food, honestly everything about the campus. As much as i love being home with my family, I look forward to going back after every break! I was hesitant at first, entering such a big campus majoring in a male dominated major, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to be a blue hen!

Sabrina

University of Delaware is a new home to me. I fell in love with this school and campus the first time I ever stepped on it and I have not stopped loving it since. There are so many opportunities and other fun things to do here, it is amazing. There is never a boring moment here at UDel. The school spirit here is amazing and you get the feeling that everyone loves it here. No matter where you are there is always something to do and someone to help you. The social life is great and so are the academics. There are so many great facilities to help you do your best and I never feel helpless or like I'm struggling here. I love University of Delaware.

Corina

I have attended the University of Delaware for undergrad, my master's degree, and now I'm back to get my Ph.D.--it's that great! The professors really want the students to succeed, and classes are always inviting and stimulating. There's a campus group for any possible interest you may have and fun on-campus entertainment almost every night. Delaware's proximity to Philly, Baltimore and NYC also make it accessible to tons of fun things to do!

Avery

I love it! Not too big but not too small, great academics, an awesome social scene (and plenty of other activities if partying isn't your thing)... it's the best! Main Street is within walking distance and has tons of shops and restaurants but otherwise, there's no need to leave campus bc it has everything u need

Ramiro

The University of Delaware offers a variety of courses of interest for students. It provides thorough teaching of the subjects with teachers passionate about their subject matter. It's important to talk to your adviser and get as much guidance on your interest in a major as possible. The teachers in my degree were willing to help guide our interests and taught the subjects in a manner that was clear.

Dylan

I think the University of Delaware is a wonderful school. Surprisingly the school is very large with a lot of diverse students. The campus is beautiful and very lively. The sports are very competitive and a big thing on campus. The reputation fir the education is very high. Overall a very good school.

Abby

I attended the University of Delaware for my freshman year of college, and have since transferred to another school. Newark, Delaware is an extremely small town with not much besides Chipotle-style restaurants and a rural mindset. Coming from Manhattan, I was not satisfied with the cultural opportunities in Newark or Wilmington. There is little diversity both ethnically and geographically, and a limited academic culture outside of the classroom. Most students seem to love the campus, which has beautiful federal architecture, but beyond this, I spent most time on campus absolutely miserable and waiting to go home for breaks or weekends. I lived in the Honors dorm, Louis Redding Hall, which housed an overwhelming majority of engineers. This was extremely isolating as an art history major. I did not find my people, and did not find my home.

I love it at UD. Everyone is so happy to be here and are always enthusiastic. The campus and facilities are beautiful. The professor truly care about your success, inside or outside of the classroom. It is overall just a great place to be, learn and grow.

Kiersty

At first I wasn't sure if I would love attending the University of Delaware, but I have absolutely fallen in love with the school and its environment. There is a perfect balance between academics and social life. UD is a Division 1 school for NCAA so attending sports games is always something fun to do with friends. Even if you don't participate in the D1 sports there are a lot of other options like club sports, intramural sports, and hundreds of Registered Student Organizations (RSOs). I have met some of my best friends and have had amazing experiences at UD all while getting a great education. The professors are always willing to help a student if s/he reaches out for it. However, UD is a big school so professors won't help unless the student asks. I find that the class sizes are a little big sometimes, but if you're struggling and need help the professors are willing to do what they can to help you succeed. Overall the University of Delaware is an amazing college.

Brendan

The University of Delaware is a fantastic academic institution with many great alumni that encourages the furthering of knowledge for its students. The environment of UD is amazing because while in the middle of a city, the campus feels like it is its own secluded area.

Bruce

For me the university of Delaware is more than just a college, it is my home away from home. The atmosphere, kind professors and other students, as well as having so many ways to spend my free time. It is by no means the perfect campus, but if I had a choice of choosing one college to attend, the University of Delaware would be one of if not the very 1st option that pops into my head. When going over everything about the campus there is a whole lot of good and little to no bad. This is a school I would not be afraid to recommend to other people as a place to attend.

Dania

University of Delaware is a great college! it is very academic oriented and there is also a big sport community. I wanted to stay close to home and UD did not disappoint. The faculty are always available to help and the services they offer are greatly appreciated.

Dana

UD is my second home and I know I made the right decision. The people here are so genuine and I love the beautiful campus. I visited the school junior year and from the moment I set foot on the green I knew it was the school for me. I have never met a student that is not goal driven and I am so excited to continue my career here.

I loved the University of Delaware. I grew up about 20 minutes from campus but felt as though I was still far enough away. UD is in the city of Newark with unique restaurants, stores, and Main Street was the place to be. It felt like home to me and there was always something to do. The school buildings themselves look historical but there is new construction taking place all over campus.

Mark

The University of Delaware provides a wonderful campus to students to learn. The professors are available during office hours and are usually able to take individual planned meetings. If you're looking to have an active social life, there are many greek organizations on campus. Sports events are fun even though no Delaware teams are that big. In general, I feel that I have grown both academically and socially in Newark, Delaware.

Aneirin

Overall, I find that the University of Delaware is well known enough that it looks good on my applications, and if you can survive your studies with all the distractions, it's worth it to go. The two stars are for the reputation and overall academics; it lost stars due to the fact that academic advisors are not helpful, financial aid does not assit students as they should, and there is too much focus on the "party scene" rather than rewarding students who are focused solely on their academics. The facilities are good, but they need more private research rooms because people tend to be loud in the library, and the student health center is a joke (I once went into the center because I had had a cold for two weeks and I was never sick long, and I waited two hours for a doctor just to be told I was sick and given a Gatorade and told to go home; worse, someone I knew who could die if she contracted pneumonia went to the facilities and they misdiagnosed her, she had gotten pneumonia, and had to be rushed to the hospital.) The academic reputation is the best thing about this University, and everything else is subpar compared to other prestigious universities.

Arianna

I love the University of Delaware! The campus is gorgeous, the classes are great, and there are lots of places to hang out between classes. I love the big college feel without being too overwhelming. This was my top school, and I' m so happy it has lived up to my expectations!

Kathleen

I love UD. It was the perfect choice for me. It offers loads of opportunity to get involved and stay involved, and I'm so happy I chose to spend my four years here. My professors are leaders in their respective fields, and many offer research opportunities to their students. Extracurricular activities are not only fun, enjoyable, and plentiful; they are relevant to our likes and passions and future goals.

Courtney

So many mixed feelings, but at the end of the day I couldn't see myself anywhere else. Yeah, there can be some basic people, but you will aslo meet some of the best people in your life here. It is fun, but academically challenging, and of course I get angry when people say its a "big party school". Well it is, but that does not take away from the fact that we have some extremely smart people. It is not as diverse as I would like, but I hope this changes as the years go on. Delaware is a place for memories, and I enjoy almost every minute of the beautiful campus.

Chase

The University of Delaware is a fantastic college that has already changed me for the better, even though just becoming a college student recently. The amount of activities there are around campus allows me to get involved in many different areas, not to mention all the people that I have met are very willing to get involved as well are generally just good people.

Andrew

The University of Delaware is an incredible and life-changing university. I traveled over 2000 miles from California to attend this school and to be a part of their flagship program, The World Scholars, and it has been one of the best decisions I have decided upon. I currently am in Rome, Italy as a World Scholar and I am awaited with open arms back on campus, as we all are very friendly with one another. The football games are a must see as we always go full out and support our mighty blue hen men down on the field playing against our opponents. Greek life is a big component on our campus, however you will not be frowned upon or discriminated against if you do not like Greek life or do not become a part of one. They throw big dances and arties on the weekend so that students can come and relax and be able to take a breather from the 5 star academics that the University of Delaware provides. Location wise it is not great nor bad, with an Amtrak station in the middle of the University’s town (Newark, Delaware) it makes travelling to New York or Washington D.C. a breeze. One must ask themselves if they are ready to indulge in a large school in a nice college town filled with exceptional students who are ready to help each other out. Many answer yes as we have over 18,000 students on campus and we grow more and more diverse as the years go by. So overall the University of Delaware is quite outstanding and one of the best decisions I have made.

Dylan

I really do love the University of Delaware. This institution is a great place to get a great education. However, there are plenty of other opportunities to get out there and have fun as well. Whether you join a fraternity/sorority, a club, or just like to socialize with friends, this school is a great place to be able to do just that!

Rucha

The University of Delaware provides a great community for their students. They promote the ability for everyone to find their own niche on campus and support a very diverse student body. Research, education, sports, the arts, study abroad, work and social involvement are highly encouraged. There are many extracurricular activities that are meant to fit a diverse population and they support the creation of new and innovate ideas. However, the tuition difference between residential and non-residential students is extremely high.

Daniela

The University of Delaware gives you that classic college campus that you see on the TV. Its a medium sized school with so much to do. The college town is great for everyone. There's plenty of places to eat or hangout. Delaware is a small state but it's a pretty cute place overall. Students from all over the country and even the world attend here. Its not the most diverse campus but there is plenty of different people around. Finding yourself here is a great adventure and you're sure to find a great group of friends. Academically the university is pretty fantastic. All the teachers I have encountered are easy to talk to and take a general interest in my abilities. The dining halls aren't incredible but then again they're doing their best.

Emma

Personally, I've had a positive experience at the University of Delaware. I am in the College of Health Sciences, which is a popular major at my school. The class sizes are on the larger side, but all the professors I've had are very accommodating and always have time to meet with students if needed. I'm also involved in some extracurricular activities, such as Greek life, Relay for Life, and Delaware Diplomats, which have all been really fun and positive experiences for me. I am currently studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain through the University of Delaware and am very happy with my school's program. Overall, I would say that the University of Delaware is able to cater to students with a variety of interests and is very open and helpful with new ideas and opinions.

Jada

It's a great school .There is a lot of opportunities at this school. They are like a family classmates, teachers. People intend to want to help one another . They like to lend a helping hand . The dorms are very clean and nice to live in . I will miss my family but, I will also feel at home here too . I have a feeling that this school is going to change me a lot in growing up and taking things into my own hands. The set up for this school was very easy and helpful with every step. When it came to choosing a college I wasn't sure but this is what done it for me. This college set my mind at easy with all the help that they give to you

Alyssa

I walked onto the campus my first day, never seeing it before, and I thought to myself "this place is absolutely beautiful." I had a surreal moment that I MADE IT. I doubted myself for so long that I wouldn't get into college. Then, I got accepted as a Blue Hen. Being here has made me even more proud to be called a Blue Hen. The class sizes are amazing and the professors REALLY care for their students. I always heard horror stories about college. How professors don't care, how you are on your own etc. That wasn't the case at the University of Delaware. My teachers were very helpful with any questions or concerns I had on what we were learning in class. And the counselors were there to help me get adjusted as well. This is a 5-star school!

Nate

UD is an awesome place. I love the atmosphere of the school and the beautiful campus/town. It is often forgotten about when high school seniors apply, but each year UD is climbing up in rankings. Most students here are science or business majors of some form, but I know people with all different kinds of majors. Academics here are definitely challenging, but not impossible with some hard work. Everyone here has a competitive mindset and wants to do their best. Yes, it is a huge party school but kids here are just as driven academically. Greek life is prominent here, but I think you can have a good time and a fun social life without being in a frat/sorority. The food in the dining halls is definitely not delicious, but compared to other colleges it definitely seems more appetizing and there are lots of options. I do wish there were more dining halls though, especially on weekends when Caesar Rodney is the only dining hall open on the main part of campus. On-campus housing for the most part is decent, with some freshman dorms being pretty old and outdated, however UD is constantly renovating buildings and they just built a beautiful new freshmen dorm. Overall, I have very few negative things to say about UD. It sure is not perfect, but there is no where else I would rather be.

Casey

This school has a low diversity rating overall but the campus itself is absolutely beautiful. The academics are great if you are in STEM or highly popular majors otherwise you are forgotten about a lot. Professors are very contactable and most of them want you to succeed.

Brandon

The University of Delaware is a classic, east coast school that is rich in tradition and small enough that you find it easy to make friends, participate in social gatherings and the opportunity to study. The campus is beautiful and the diversity of the student population brings together a wonderful community, rich in ideas and thought. I have found many of our students are willing to learn and share as a group, it is really amazing.

Gabi

Huge party scene, but good academics and beautiful campus.

William

The University of Delaware does not have the best food, campus, academics, or activities, but i think it’s a combination of alright things that makes this college really good. Along with meeting great people this has become a college that I will stay at for four years.

Mechteld

As an international student, you look for a university that is willing to help you. The university of Delaware definitely helped me a lot! I'm really looking forward to the coming fall! Only they could invest more into the available scholarships. Overall great!

Alexa

I am currently a freshman student at the University and I am constantly being impressed by the amount of resources the school offers to us as students. I am extremely proud to go to school here and feel as though I'm being appropriately challenged academically. The only complaint I would have is the overall cost for out of state students, but I feel as though it is worth struggling to manage for the quality of education I am receiving.

Monique

I love the University of Delaware because it is my home away from home. Most of the people I meet here are very helpful and are friendly when I have a question or need help. The professors are passionate about what they are teaching and try to engage the students as much as possible to create and develop an effective learning environment. The University provides plenty of safety resources and academic resources for students. There are various clubs that students can join. There is something for everyone. Students have the opportunities to take leadership roles such as an orientation leader, resident assistant, and president of a club. I was a welcome ambassador last year and I had fun showing the students our school and answering their questions.The school also provides "fun nights" for its students so that they have a alternate safe way of having fun during the weekends. I am excited to start my junior year here.