Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Liz

The best thing about UD is the green. That is why I came here. The size is just right, not too big, not too small... Overall I feel like its an average, typical college.

The food!! Delaware needs to improve their oncampus food options. But I hear we are a lot better than other schools...

The lack of diversity is stuck in a cycle because diverse students don't want to come to a school where they will be singled out so I dont feel we are a racist school, and compared to other schools I would say we are average with parties, and its true for the girl stereotype.

That UD is a racist school, that all the girls go tanning, are blonde and wear uggs, that we are a party school,

Overall, I feel at UD there are the smart party people. So you might catch them having an intellectual conversation outside the classroom but then find them partying an hour later. And I think thats cool. Except when intellectual conversations dont happen in class because everyone is hung over.

Caitlin

Best thing about UD- great all around college. Great campus/town, likeable students, great education for a good value, there are things to do and get involved in. I would stop the school from getting so involved with Greek life. Right size. I get positive responses when people hear that I graduated from UD. I spent most of my junior and senior year on main street. Colelge town. Administration- it depends. Some people were very helpful and some were not. I had some professors who I really did not care for and that makes the classes much less enjoyable. Controversy on campus- safety issues and Greek life issues Yes there is school pride. I will always remember my entire experience at UD- homecomings, being in a sorority, winning the football championship my freshman year, and everything else. Complaints- dining hall food isn't good, dorms aren't nice/too far from things

I think there is diversity on campus and no one should feel out of place. Varies- most students do not dress up and jeans/sweatpants/sweatshirts are the norm. Yes different types of students interact. Most UD students are from NJ/NY (long island)/Maryland/Delaware/PA Various financial backgrounds but mainly middle class to upper middle class

Delaware is the best. I received an excellent education and created friendships with people that I will hold on to for life.

Sororities/fraternities and sports teams- club/varsity/intramural Chi Omega Yes- most social students keep their doors open Football events were popular- others not as much but depends on the sport We attended guest speakers through Greek Life I never knew anything about theater throughout undergrad I met my closest friends in the dorms, in my sorority, in classes and through going out 2 am on a Tuesday- studying Homecoming, Greek Week, Football tailgates, Mixers People party about 3 nights a week on average- obviously some do more and some less Sororities and fraternities are very important. They are instrumental to philanthropy, campus activities, etc. They form a strong social network that is beneficial to many people. They provide structure and a schedule outside of classes. Saturday night- you can go to the movies, go out to dinner, stay in and play board games/watch a movie

Depends on the class. Favorite class- business law was great because I had a really good professor. I strongly disliked my statistics classes- very difficult and dry. Students study various amounts- that is completely by the person. Class participation varies by the class. Depends on the students- many do and many do not. Most unique class- entrepeneurship of business. This was a great class. Economics was my major- I had some great professors who were down to earth and easy to relate to but I didn't love the classes. Usually not but I had coffee with a professor and some classmates for having perfect attendance. The requirements are fair for the most part. I think UD can do more to help students obtain jobs. Push for internships more.

Partiers, preppy, from Long Island/NJ/Delaware- different stereotypes based on where they are from

I live on Main St so I spend most of my time around there. It is so nice being so close to campus AND the restaurants and sho...

I live on Main St so I spend most of my time around there. It is so nice being so close to campus AND the restaurants and shops.

UD has a really awesome elementary education program. I just spent an entire week working in a school and teaching lessons. Their program has prepared me more than I ever expected it to.

Homecoming is one of the biggest events that all students look forward to each year. Its very common to start drinking at 10am or early. A lot of students go for the game but more people go for the tailgating. My freshman year I went tailgating and it was a blast. Once the game started we went back home. Since the police have been cracking down more on underage drinking so I am waiting to do it again next year when I will be 21.

Jessie

I love UD more than I thought I would. Our campus is beautiful and well kept. Main St. is definitly the best thing about UD. It's at the center of everything and gives UD its character.

Diverse and not so diverse. Students are from NY, Jersey, PA & DE...but if you are lucky (and smart) you will do your best to surround yourself with different kinds of people.

As a graphic design major our classes are small and competitive. There is oppurtunity for growth in and out of school. We have one of the best internship programs and some of the best connections out of many of the top art schools.

Greek life is not huge but I don't know what people who aren't in Greek life do with their time. It gives structure to our college years. The bars close early here but house parties are always big, although as you get older you will live at the bar.

UD student's are all good looking, big drinkers, and kind of apathetic when it comes to caring about politics, etc.

Paige

Perfect size, great business school, turns into a bar school when you're 21. Don't try to get into bars if you're not. Main street has great shops and restaurants, UD police/ newark police are ridiculous and it's impossible to not get in trouble at least once.

Kids where sweatpants. Laid back, don't care about much. Dress up a lot for weekends.

Business school is great, professors are great.

White, wealthy, in states are not as smart or wealthy

Always a party. Greek life is cool.

Julie

I love that UD is a "college town" The buildings are beautiful, and campus is maintained well (the grass is always green, etc.) I love that main street is a place filled with restaurants, stores, and bars -- you will always see people you know and shops that appeal to the college student. There is also a great public safety system BUT i wish there were cabs that we could pay for -- that would make traveling a lot more safe and a lot less of a hassle at night. Also, there is NOT enough parking at UD.

I definitely do not think so. Although it is the case the in state tuition is cheaper, most of my out of state friends have parents that work very hard to send their children here and are not by any means extremely wealthy.

There are stereotypes that everyone from out of state has a lot of money; and the students who pay in state tuition (those from Delaware) do not.

Alex

I think UD is definitely the right size school for me. Its not too big, but not too small at the same time. I think there is a good amount of diversity on campus which is nice considering I came from a very homogeneous high school. I think the town of Newark is cute and nice, however I think it could use some improvements. It gets boring after a while, I'd like to see some more different establishments that cater to students. Parking is terrible at UD. Many lots are inconveniently located and parking is extremely expensive and difficult to find at certain times.

Absolutely not. It may have been a more accurate stereotype in the past, however I believe UD has come a long way in being considered a highly regarded University with high standards of education and very intelligent students who work hard.

That UD is a big party school and that the students are more into the social aspect than the education.

Katie

I think our school is a great size with a great reputation. On campus I'm usually with friends or studying. I think the police in the area are a bit ridiculous busting parties instead of worrying about dangerous crimes (robbery, rape, and the use of weapons). I would say there is a fair amount of school pride.

I don't think any student would necessarilly feel out of place here. All different students interact all over campus. Most UD students are from new jersey or long islan.

That we party too much and don't do enough school work.

I do not think professors know your name unless you go meet them personally. I hate spanish. Students are always at the library. I think UD's requirements are fair.

Sports teams are popular on campus but Greek life is very strong. My sorority works very closely with a lot of groups. Football games are very popular but not so much basketball. On a tuesday night at 2am i'm either asleep, studying, or trying to fall asleep. There are a lot of traditions and events, one being chapel fest. I would say people party mostly on the weekends. Frats and sororities are great at delaware but not the only important thing.

UD is just the right size. People hear that UD is a great school. I think its a college town. There is school pride.

A lot of pretty girls but I dont think they like to party anymore than other college students.

My professors don't usually know my name. I like the classes that pertain to my major. The students mostly study a lot. UD students are competative.

I'm in a sorority and I love it. Football games are very popular. People party a lot. Sororities and Fraternities are popular but you don't have to be in one to have fun or make friends.

Shelby

The best thing about UD is the students. They are basically all normal. There is not one specific "type" but most people are laid back and not too snooty or weird. If there was one thing I would change it would be the number of townies that hang around Newark. I love the University of Delaware but I hate the state. I think the school is just the right size but it needs more boys. When I tell people I go to UD they usually say thats pretty cool and they ask if i know other people who they know go there. It is a college town but there's not much of a "town" mostly just one block of main street with a few places to eat and maybe 4 bars. I do not really have a problem with the UD administration. I like that they are trying to raise the bar and make the school more elite. There have been race relations problems on campus where minority students felt violated by other students who dressed up for a theme party. It was pretty ridiculous and the minority students took it way too far. I think there is a lot of school pride, not quite as much as other bigger schools, but a good amount. There really isn't anything unusual about UD. The experience that I will never forget is my study abroad experience in South Africa. I think the most frequent complaints are about the alcohol policy that is way too strict.

the campus is not very diverse. It is mostly white so minorities might feel out of place, but there are a lot of Jews on campus so religious diversity is present. Most students wear jeans and tee shirts or sweat shirts to class, nothing too fancy. Different types of students definitely interact. There would be a table of sorority girls, a table of frat boys, a table of black/hispanic students, and a mixture of everyone else. Most UD students are from Jersey, New York, PA , and Delaware. Most are upper middle class. Most students are not politically active or aware. Most are left wing/liberal but there are a good number of conservatives and republicans. Students do talk about how much money they will earn but not that often.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class is my literature seminar with only 12 people in it. I love it because we get to sit around and really discuss literature. My least favorite class was a required science class. It was boring and uninteresting and I had to take it for a requirement. Most students study often because the classes are pretty demanding. UD students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I don't think students are all that competitive. The most unique class I ever took was my seminar class because it really requires students to take responsibility for learning. My majors are pretty great. The English department has some pretty annoying requirements, especially in early english writing, but the Poli Sci department is really great. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I think the academic requirements are not too bad, but for some majors it can be difficult to graduate on time if you arent aware from your first semester that that is the course you want to take. I think in the liberal arts department that education is geared more towards learning for learnings sake.

UD students are mostly out of state upper middle class kids. Most of the ones from out of state have parents paying their tuition and have money to spend. The ones from in-state are seen as weird and sometimes they are hicks.

Greek life is probably the most popular type or organizations on campus but they are not that bag. Im not in a group. students in dorms do leave their doors open and socialize. Football games are pretty big but nothing else really. The dating scene consists mostly of getting drunk at parties and hooking up. I met my closest friends freshman year in the dorms. At 2 am on a tuesday I would either be studying, reading, or watching a movie. Homecoming and chaplefest are the biggest events that happen every year. Most people party 3-4 nights a week. Fraternities are sororities are a presence but they are not the only thing going on. Last weekend I went to a bunch of parties, went to the mall, studied, and watched TV. You can go to a movie on saturday night or stay in and hang out with friends. Off campus there isnt really too much to do but philadelphia and baltimore are not that far and there are fun things in the cities.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.