Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Alex

I think UD is definitely the right size school for me. Its not too big, but not too small at the same time. I think there is a good amount of diversity on campus which is nice considering I came from a very homogeneous high school. I think the town of Newark is cute and nice, however I think it could use some improvements. It gets boring after a while, I'd like to see some more different establishments that cater to students. Parking is terrible at UD. Many lots are inconveniently located and parking is extremely expensive and difficult to find at certain times.

Absolutely not. It may have been a more accurate stereotype in the past, however I believe UD has come a long way in being considered a highly regarded University with high standards of education and very intelligent students who work hard.

That UD is a big party school and that the students are more into the social aspect than the education.

Katie

I think our school is a great size with a great reputation. On campus I'm usually with friends or studying. I think the police in the area are a bit ridiculous busting parties instead of worrying about dangerous crimes (robbery, rape, and the use of weapons). I would say there is a fair amount of school pride.

I don't think any student would necessarilly feel out of place here. All different students interact all over campus. Most UD students are from new jersey or long islan.

That we party too much and don't do enough school work.

I do not think professors know your name unless you go meet them personally. I hate spanish. Students are always at the library. I think UD's requirements are fair.

Sports teams are popular on campus but Greek life is very strong. My sorority works very closely with a lot of groups. Football games are very popular but not so much basketball. On a tuesday night at 2am i'm either asleep, studying, or trying to fall asleep. There are a lot of traditions and events, one being chapel fest. I would say people party mostly on the weekends. Frats and sororities are great at delaware but not the only important thing.

UD is just the right size. People hear that UD is a great school. I think its a college town. There is school pride.

A lot of pretty girls but I dont think they like to party anymore than other college students.

My professors don't usually know my name. I like the classes that pertain to my major. The students mostly study a lot. UD students are competative.

I'm in a sorority and I love it. Football games are very popular. People party a lot. Sororities and Fraternities are popular but you don't have to be in one to have fun or make friends.

Shelby

The best thing about UD is the students. They are basically all normal. There is not one specific "type" but most people are laid back and not too snooty or weird. If there was one thing I would change it would be the number of townies that hang around Newark. I love the University of Delaware but I hate the state. I think the school is just the right size but it needs more boys. When I tell people I go to UD they usually say thats pretty cool and they ask if i know other people who they know go there. It is a college town but there's not much of a "town" mostly just one block of main street with a few places to eat and maybe 4 bars. I do not really have a problem with the UD administration. I like that they are trying to raise the bar and make the school more elite. There have been race relations problems on campus where minority students felt violated by other students who dressed up for a theme party. It was pretty ridiculous and the minority students took it way too far. I think there is a lot of school pride, not quite as much as other bigger schools, but a good amount. There really isn't anything unusual about UD. The experience that I will never forget is my study abroad experience in South Africa. I think the most frequent complaints are about the alcohol policy that is way too strict.

the campus is not very diverse. It is mostly white so minorities might feel out of place, but there are a lot of Jews on campus so religious diversity is present. Most students wear jeans and tee shirts or sweat shirts to class, nothing too fancy. Different types of students definitely interact. There would be a table of sorority girls, a table of frat boys, a table of black/hispanic students, and a mixture of everyone else. Most UD students are from Jersey, New York, PA , and Delaware. Most are upper middle class. Most students are not politically active or aware. Most are left wing/liberal but there are a good number of conservatives and republicans. Students do talk about how much money they will earn but not that often.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class is my literature seminar with only 12 people in it. I love it because we get to sit around and really discuss literature. My least favorite class was a required science class. It was boring and uninteresting and I had to take it for a requirement. Most students study often because the classes are pretty demanding. UD students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I don't think students are all that competitive. The most unique class I ever took was my seminar class because it really requires students to take responsibility for learning. My majors are pretty great. The English department has some pretty annoying requirements, especially in early english writing, but the Poli Sci department is really great. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I think the academic requirements are not too bad, but for some majors it can be difficult to graduate on time if you arent aware from your first semester that that is the course you want to take. I think in the liberal arts department that education is geared more towards learning for learnings sake.

UD students are mostly out of state upper middle class kids. Most of the ones from out of state have parents paying their tuition and have money to spend. The ones from in-state are seen as weird and sometimes they are hicks.

Greek life is probably the most popular type or organizations on campus but they are not that bag. Im not in a group. students in dorms do leave their doors open and socialize. Football games are pretty big but nothing else really. The dating scene consists mostly of getting drunk at parties and hooking up. I met my closest friends freshman year in the dorms. At 2 am on a tuesday I would either be studying, reading, or watching a movie. Homecoming and chaplefest are the biggest events that happen every year. Most people party 3-4 nights a week. Fraternities are sororities are a presence but they are not the only thing going on. Last weekend I went to a bunch of parties, went to the mall, studied, and watched TV. You can go to a movie on saturday night or stay in and hang out with friends. Off campus there isnt really too much to do but philadelphia and baltimore are not that far and there are fun things in the cities.

Nick

best thing about UD is its closeness to big cities and it's reputation. I would want the school to have more advisers for students who want to do something after college. Good college town, although the town could be more supportive of the school. Lots of school pride. Admin is okay here, but not too great. I spend most of my time at my off campus house, which is big here by the way. Lots of off campus aprtmnts, and houses. Most of them have parties but so does greek life so you can do whatever you choose. One memory is freshman year itself and meeting so many people and just being a naive "freshman". Most complaints here are about cops, but they have gotten better.

The school is about 84% white, and i'm assuming judeo/christian. There are other races and religions here too, but the majority i'm sure are WASP like. An out of place student might be someone who doesn't like young american culture. Dining hall tables - athletics/greek life/ minorites / non-greek partiers/ (non partiers maybe). Most UD students are either from delaware or NY, NJ, PA, MD area, and maybe 1 from each state. Most backgrounds are upper middle class. Some are politically active, and you might call them over active because they are closed minded. Money isnt really talked about for the future.

Study abroad is very big here. About 40% of all students study abroad and love it. Many far away out of state students come here because of that reason. Dining halls and athletic facilities for students need to be bigger.

Most of them. But it is a harder school to get into than most think.

Academics are huge here. Most students are hard workers who can party hard too. Students study a lot but mostly for exams. Favorite classes are my non-major classes because they break up the monotony. Students are competitive but not life threatening like ivies or anything. My dept is okay, but professors are stuck up. Dont really see many professors outside of class. Education isnt geared towards getting a job in every major, but in some it is, such as business

Most popular groups are greek life and athletics (varsity and club). I call for UD and ask for donations and there are lots of different people at the job, but we get along well. Depending on the dorm, they will leave their doors open (freshman tend to). Football is huge. Dating seen is usually hook-up/party based. Or you get introduced by a friend. I met my closest friends freshman year and got along with them best. If its 2am i am either watching tv/ on facebook / or studying the day before a test. Homecoming is big each year. People party 2-3 days a week. Greek like is bigg-ish but not necessary to party. Last weekend went to parties friday and saturday and did homework on sunday. Saturday night without drinking you can go bowling, watch a movie, go out to eat. You party off campus.

Anyone that knows about it will say party school. Which is it, but so are most universities. College is what you make of it. 60% girls 40% guys. Girls are known to be very good looking, and this is true. Big out of state school

Erin

I think UD is the perfect size for me. Not too many students that you dont feel like you know anyone, or too little people that you see the same people all the time. I have a lot of people from my high school that go here, and I never really see them unless i choose to. I spend most time at my apartment, and before i lived in one, i spent most in my dorm, well and of course in class. UD's administration has been very good so far, I have not had a teacher I hated or that I felt was not educated enough to teach.

I am not sure what kind of student would feel out of place here, I dont think anyone should feel that way.. I know I never have. Yes different types of students interact. I feel like most are from DE, NJ, Long Island, MD, and new York. There are some students who wear UD apparel every day, such as sweatshirts and sweatpants, and some who get more dressed up for class.

No, I have lived here all my life,and love the University as well.

Sororities and fraternities are very popular. I am not in one but my roommates are and i have met a lot of new people through them. Yes some students leave their doors open in dorms. My freshman year i wasnt in one of those dorms, the doors slammed shut. It depends if you are in one of the more social dorms. My sophmore year was like that. I met so many more people, including my roommates now.

Most stereotypes come from the state of DE itself, and people not wanting to come to such a small state. That it is not a good school because of the state.

Some of them know my name. I have had some teachers more than once, because I liked them. ANd i have gotten to know some, because I need recommendations for graduate school. SOme have been more into getting to know their students also. I study every day, I have to in order to stay on top of my classes. Yes students have intellectual conversations outside of class. I feel like you have to in order to do well, and to talk about it with students helps you learn more. I feel the academic requirements do gear you for a job. My major classes are gearing me for graduate school.

Erica

The best thing about UD are all of the people. There are so many different clubs, groups, teams, there is always something to do and awesome people to meet. You never have to hang out with the same people ever because there are so many people to meet everyday! One thing I would change is how spread out the campus is. That would mean a smaller enrollment, which would lose some of the diversity, but I think a close knit campus would be awesome! When I tell people that I go to UD, I either heat, "Oh, I applied there!" , "That school is so much fun" or "Oh, that is so awesome! I hear thats a really nice school!" ...i love that! I think Main Street is awesome and tons of fun! The best place to live and be.

I think that most students are middle class. Many upper middle. I think that there are many different groups on campus, but that people do interact alot too! Most students wear comfortable clothes to class, but some to get dressed up also.

they are pretty accurate!, but thats probably why they got started in the first place.

the girls are really pretty, rich people, everyone is from long island, people all dress the same

Greek life is very popular on campus if you are involved in it! However, if you are not involved in it, there is also a lot to do as well! Most students leave their doors open in the dorms, almost always and almost all the time! People party whenever they have the chance. Usually towards the end of the week, wed, thurs, fri sat, but drink after a long day of class, or a stressful day at work. Sports are really popular and people get into football and lacrosse alot.

There are definitely some professors that know my name, but I think that is only because I am very involved in the study abroad here, and have been on a couple trips and have gotten to know some professors really well! Classes are usually pretty fun with a lot of participation. I think some students are competative, but most are just hoping to do well and help others along the way. Everyone wants to help others and in turn help themselves get good grades. I think the academic requirements are good in that, you do have to work hard every semester to stay on track but you have more than enough freedom in when and where you take and finish class requirements (ex study abroad, winter/summer sessions)

Connie

Some people might think this school is too large, but I think it's perfect. You always recognize someone everywhere you go.

Most UD students are either from Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland or New York

yes, but so do a lot of other girls.

Students spend a lot of time studying at this school.

I think that sororities/fraternities or club sports are the most popular organizations on campus. I play club lacrosse with 31 other amazing girls. It is so fun to have these girls who you have something in common with on the field and can hang out with them off the field.

Sorority girls were Uggs, leggings and big sunglasses.

Alexandra

College town Great People GORGEOUS campus Lots of school pride Good academic rep Great Main Street

Good looking girls Not much diversity

Fun if you know people judical affairs is lame

meg

The best thing about UD is that it's a big school but it has a hometown feel.Being located on Main Street helps me feel connected to the real world. It is a little big, but I think it fits right in with the perfect college experience. People always compliment me on how smart I must be when i tell them I go here. Most of my time on camous is spent either in class, the library, or the CSB. I don't think that there is enough school pride- the school could do more to help boost it. I will always remember my freshman year living in Rodney- it was the best year by far- and I will never forget the friends and memories I made that year. The most frequent student complaints are that class sizes are too big and that teachers don't really make an effort to get to know their students

Coming from New York City, I feel that UD is not diverse at all. There is very little interaction between ther races. I feel that any student that is not caucasian might feel a litle out of place here. Most UD students are from the neighboring states, with well off financial backgrounds. I think that there are some students that are politically aware but not a large majority.

every school can be a party school- it's just what you make of it.

That they are all rich, white kids that wear the same exact clothes as their peers. Big time party school.

Most of my professors do not know my nam. Favorite class was HESC310- it was the most beneficial class towards my major and I learned a tremnedous amount. Least favorite- STAT200- very boring and useless. Students study very often- I feel that the library always has a lot of students. Class participation is not that common- almost non-existent in the big lecture halls. I find that some students an be extremely competitive. The most unique class I've taken was PHYS139- Identifying Star Constellations. On the whole I enjoy the classes I have to take for my major, however, I find that the Health and Exercise Department always messes up registering for classes. They always over enroll the classes and then complain and tell people to drop the class when there are 90 students in a 40 student class. I never spend time with professors out of class. I feel that UD's academic requirements are challenging. My education at UD is aimed at getting into Graduate school and then a job after that.

The mos tpopular gorups on camous are Greek Life by far. I'm involved with UD club Rugby- I think it is a great way to make friends, get involved, and stay active. It depends what dorm you're in whether or not students leave their door open. The most popular sporting event is football, but for tailgating. Students hardly ever attend other sporting events. Dating scene is pretty much non-existent. I met my closest friends through my dorm. the footall games are always fun and the spring brings all the "fests"- chapel, wilbur, skid, etc. some people party throughout the week but thur-sat are big nights.I went out to a party last weekend. Sautrday nights can be spent out, or at the SCPAB movies or HEnz Zone- there's not much else to do.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.