Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Nick

best thing about UD is its closeness to big cities and it's reputation. I would want the school to have more advisers for students who want to do something after college. Good college town, although the town could be more supportive of the school. Lots of school pride. Admin is okay here, but not too great. I spend most of my time at my off campus house, which is big here by the way. Lots of off campus aprtmnts, and houses. Most of them have parties but so does greek life so you can do whatever you choose. One memory is freshman year itself and meeting so many people and just being a naive "freshman". Most complaints here are about cops, but they have gotten better.

The school is about 84% white, and i'm assuming judeo/christian. There are other races and religions here too, but the majority i'm sure are WASP like. An out of place student might be someone who doesn't like young american culture. Dining hall tables - athletics/greek life/ minorites / non-greek partiers/ (non partiers maybe). Most UD students are either from delaware or NY, NJ, PA, MD area, and maybe 1 from each state. Most backgrounds are upper middle class. Some are politically active, and you might call them over active because they are closed minded. Money isnt really talked about for the future.

Study abroad is very big here. About 40% of all students study abroad and love it. Many far away out of state students come here because of that reason. Dining halls and athletic facilities for students need to be bigger.

Most of them. But it is a harder school to get into than most think.

Academics are huge here. Most students are hard workers who can party hard too. Students study a lot but mostly for exams. Favorite classes are my non-major classes because they break up the monotony. Students are competitive but not life threatening like ivies or anything. My dept is okay, but professors are stuck up. Dont really see many professors outside of class. Education isnt geared towards getting a job in every major, but in some it is, such as business

Most popular groups are greek life and athletics (varsity and club). I call for UD and ask for donations and there are lots of different people at the job, but we get along well. Depending on the dorm, they will leave their doors open (freshman tend to). Football is huge. Dating seen is usually hook-up/party based. Or you get introduced by a friend. I met my closest friends freshman year and got along with them best. If its 2am i am either watching tv/ on facebook / or studying the day before a test. Homecoming is big each year. People party 2-3 days a week. Greek like is bigg-ish but not necessary to party. Last weekend went to parties friday and saturday and did homework on sunday. Saturday night without drinking you can go bowling, watch a movie, go out to eat. You party off campus.

Anyone that knows about it will say party school. Which is it, but so are most universities. College is what you make of it. 60% girls 40% guys. Girls are known to be very good looking, and this is true. Big out of state school

Erin

I think UD is the perfect size for me. Not too many students that you dont feel like you know anyone, or too little people that you see the same people all the time. I have a lot of people from my high school that go here, and I never really see them unless i choose to. I spend most time at my apartment, and before i lived in one, i spent most in my dorm, well and of course in class. UD's administration has been very good so far, I have not had a teacher I hated or that I felt was not educated enough to teach.

I am not sure what kind of student would feel out of place here, I dont think anyone should feel that way.. I know I never have. Yes different types of students interact. I feel like most are from DE, NJ, Long Island, MD, and new York. There are some students who wear UD apparel every day, such as sweatshirts and sweatpants, and some who get more dressed up for class.

No, I have lived here all my life,and love the University as well.

Sororities and fraternities are very popular. I am not in one but my roommates are and i have met a lot of new people through them. Yes some students leave their doors open in dorms. My freshman year i wasnt in one of those dorms, the doors slammed shut. It depends if you are in one of the more social dorms. My sophmore year was like that. I met so many more people, including my roommates now.

Most stereotypes come from the state of DE itself, and people not wanting to come to such a small state. That it is not a good school because of the state.

Some of them know my name. I have had some teachers more than once, because I liked them. ANd i have gotten to know some, because I need recommendations for graduate school. SOme have been more into getting to know their students also. I study every day, I have to in order to stay on top of my classes. Yes students have intellectual conversations outside of class. I feel like you have to in order to do well, and to talk about it with students helps you learn more. I feel the academic requirements do gear you for a job. My major classes are gearing me for graduate school.

Erica

The best thing about UD are all of the people. There are so many different clubs, groups, teams, there is always something to do and awesome people to meet. You never have to hang out with the same people ever because there are so many people to meet everyday! One thing I would change is how spread out the campus is. That would mean a smaller enrollment, which would lose some of the diversity, but I think a close knit campus would be awesome! When I tell people that I go to UD, I either heat, "Oh, I applied there!" , "That school is so much fun" or "Oh, that is so awesome! I hear thats a really nice school!" ...i love that! I think Main Street is awesome and tons of fun! The best place to live and be.

I think that most students are middle class. Many upper middle. I think that there are many different groups on campus, but that people do interact alot too! Most students wear comfortable clothes to class, but some to get dressed up also.

they are pretty accurate!, but thats probably why they got started in the first place.

the girls are really pretty, rich people, everyone is from long island, people all dress the same

Greek life is very popular on campus if you are involved in it! However, if you are not involved in it, there is also a lot to do as well! Most students leave their doors open in the dorms, almost always and almost all the time! People party whenever they have the chance. Usually towards the end of the week, wed, thurs, fri sat, but drink after a long day of class, or a stressful day at work. Sports are really popular and people get into football and lacrosse alot.

There are definitely some professors that know my name, but I think that is only because I am very involved in the study abroad here, and have been on a couple trips and have gotten to know some professors really well! Classes are usually pretty fun with a lot of participation. I think some students are competative, but most are just hoping to do well and help others along the way. Everyone wants to help others and in turn help themselves get good grades. I think the academic requirements are good in that, you do have to work hard every semester to stay on track but you have more than enough freedom in when and where you take and finish class requirements (ex study abroad, winter/summer sessions)

Connie

Some people might think this school is too large, but I think it's perfect. You always recognize someone everywhere you go.

Most UD students are either from Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland or New York

yes, but so do a lot of other girls.

Students spend a lot of time studying at this school.

I think that sororities/fraternities or club sports are the most popular organizations on campus. I play club lacrosse with 31 other amazing girls. It is so fun to have these girls who you have something in common with on the field and can hang out with them off the field.

Sorority girls were Uggs, leggings and big sunglasses.

Alexandra

College town Great People GORGEOUS campus Lots of school pride Good academic rep Great Main Street

Good looking girls Not much diversity

Fun if you know people judical affairs is lame

meg

The best thing about UD is that it's a big school but it has a hometown feel.Being located on Main Street helps me feel connected to the real world. It is a little big, but I think it fits right in with the perfect college experience. People always compliment me on how smart I must be when i tell them I go here. Most of my time on camous is spent either in class, the library, or the CSB. I don't think that there is enough school pride- the school could do more to help boost it. I will always remember my freshman year living in Rodney- it was the best year by far- and I will never forget the friends and memories I made that year. The most frequent student complaints are that class sizes are too big and that teachers don't really make an effort to get to know their students

Coming from New York City, I feel that UD is not diverse at all. There is very little interaction between ther races. I feel that any student that is not caucasian might feel a litle out of place here. Most UD students are from the neighboring states, with well off financial backgrounds. I think that there are some students that are politically aware but not a large majority.

every school can be a party school- it's just what you make of it.

That they are all rich, white kids that wear the same exact clothes as their peers. Big time party school.

The mos tpopular gorups on camous are Greek Life by far. I'm involved with UD club Rugby- I think it is a great way to make friends, get involved, and stay active. It depends what dorm you're in whether or not students leave their door open. The most popular sporting event is football, but for tailgating. Students hardly ever attend other sporting events. Dating scene is pretty much non-existent. I met my closest friends through my dorm. the footall games are always fun and the spring brings all the "fests"- chapel, wilbur, skid, etc. some people party throughout the week but thur-sat are big nights.I went out to a party last weekend. Sautrday nights can be spent out, or at the SCPAB movies or HEnz Zone- there's not much else to do.

Most of my professors do not know my nam. Favorite class was HESC310- it was the most beneficial class towards my major and I learned a tremnedous amount. Least favorite- STAT200- very boring and useless. Students study very often- I feel that the library always has a lot of students. Class participation is not that common- almost non-existent in the big lecture halls. I find that some students an be extremely competitive. The most unique class I've taken was PHYS139- Identifying Star Constellations. On the whole I enjoy the classes I have to take for my major, however, I find that the Health and Exercise Department always messes up registering for classes. They always over enroll the classes and then complain and tell people to drop the class when there are 90 students in a 40 student class. I never spend time with professors out of class. I feel that UD's academic requirements are challenging. My education at UD is aimed at getting into Graduate school and then a job after that.

Jen

best thing is greek life, i will always remember my sorority and the amazing girls i have met. the parking here is ridiculous, you can never get a spot and its super expensive if you do.

everyone here is white

north jersey, long island jews, townies

some classes are small which is good but some of the teachers were never taught how to teach so they just speak at you which is annoying.

Kathryn

I love UD because it is not too small and is not to big. It has so much diversity and any individual can grow and achieve their life goals. There are an infinite amount of opportunites here at UD and I wish I took the time to experience more of them. After having joined a sorority I have truly met some of my best friends for life. It does make the campus smaller and sometimes I feel like im limiting myself to one group but there are only so many people you can meet. UD has a great reputation and no one has ever said something bad about this school to me. There is a ton of school pride especially with our football teams recent success. I have had so many wonderful experiences here and I hope that I can only continue to add to these memories.

I feel that i have a bias opinion in terms of this question. I dont go to the dining halls so this scenerio really isnt normal to me. I have seen many different races on campus but for the most part i am surrounded by middle/upper class caucasian students. My town is very small and wealthy with not much diversity so all the different faces here was shocking at first but is now refreshing.

For the most part I think some of them are true but it is hard to judge.

For the most part my professors do not know my mine except for my French class because it is so small. My favorite class right now is comm 345 because it involves my major as well as criminal justice which I find very interesting. In most classes that are lectures there really is not class participation how ever my foreign language classes have always been very involved. The most unique class I have taken is criminal justic because I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I am currently a communications interest and I enjoy it very much. I think it is kind of rediculous that students have to get into the major because if you do not get in you are basically lost in terms of an academic path. Thankfully i have been very successful with this major and hope to get into it after this year. I think that the education here is geared towards what ever you want it to be geared towards. What you do personally with your academics will take you in a certain direction.

Being in a sorority there are a lot of stereotypes that are apparent. Each sorority and fraternity has its own cliches attached.

I am involved in the sorority Chi Omega. It is a very well respected, classy organization. People might have a distorted vision of sorority life but i live it first hand. I live in the sorority house and it can sometimes be too much. I dont like a lot of drama but i think that is just part of being a girl. I am a very social person and i do like to party but my grades are very important to me. I have formed amazing bonds with people outside and inside my sorority so i feel very lucky. I wish i went to more sporting events because it was such a huge part of my life in high school. Honestly there are things to do other than drinking but for the most part i feel like thats what the majority of this campus chooses to do on the weekends.

Terry

-The best thing about the school is the campus. -I would change the dining halls and make them better. -Just right. -People tend to hear mainly good things about UD. -I spend my time on campus primarily at my house or my friends houses. Sometimes trabant and other than that at class. -College town, hands down. -I think the strike system is flawed and the administration has a lot of room for improvement but UD is a great school regardless.

-All of my professors know my name, its pretty cool. -HRIM is the best department there is. No question.

I think a more competitive football team would really give the school a huge boost. It's a big school with a small town feel, which I think is perfect. Big enough so you don't know everyone but small enough to feel as though you belong, that it's home. Main Street is great, very accessible for students and fun options to eat, shop, drink. Perfect for bar crawls. The campus is beautiful and the walk from Perkins to Memorial in the Spring or Fall is the best way to put a smile on your face.

Students are very trendy-- typical Ugg, North Face, designer jean combo. Not necessary to fit it but it is kind of the norm. Students are predominately left but not very politically active unless they are studying politics or related subjects.

Delaware is full of students who didn't get into their first choice. We all agree it's the best choice we never made. Delaware may have been a bit of an accident but it's the best thing that has happened to me.

These types seem to have a big presence at the school but a by no means the majority. There really is a group of people for everyone.

Students are pretty school conscious and dedicated to their schoolwork. It definitely doesn't dictate our college experience. Students are more supportive than competitive. Would rather create a collaborative effort than a cut throat environment. The Honors Program is the best way to have classes where professors care about their students. Definite perks.

Intelligent wealthy kids from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the surrounding area.

I'm in a sorority so I am very partial to Greek Life. I think Greek Life at UD makes the University smaller because you meet a lot of people and get very involved. In the dorms all the doors are always open, there is a very friendly environment. Freshman floors are family. There is not much a dating scene but hooking up is huge. it is not uncommon for hooking up to lead to relationships and plenty are people are in some stage of a relationship.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.