Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

UD is the perfect size for me and offers a lot of ways to get involved. I would change their judicial system. it is too strict. People react by saying "where is that?" or "thats a party school!" There is not much school pride at all. I will always remember my experiences as a Chi Omega.

I dont think our school is very ethnically diverse. students wear all types of things to class. msotly sweats or jeans. different types of students interact. The so-called stereotypical "freak" may feel out of place.

not really. UD is a party school if you make it to be, but it doesnt have to be and the judicial system is becoming a lot more strict.

professors know your name if you make a point to have them know your name by participating, asking questions, going to office hours. Most students spend a good amount of time studying, but some don't at all. As a math education major i think UD required courses are absolutely rediculous, do not pertain to me and are unnecessarily hard. The most unique class ive taken is Linguistics. class participation is pretty common (def depends on teacher and subject though).

sports and greek life are very popular. I am involved in Chi Omega. doors are usually open in dorms but not constantly. i met my closest friends because we all lived on the same floor sophomore year. if you dont want to drink on weekends there is movies, mall, bowling. if i am awake at 2am on tuesday i am on facebook. athletic events are not too popular but i wish they were

keith

the best thing is that there is almost always something to do...the size is just right....there is a decent amount of school pride...i will always remember homecomings

this school is predominantly white...different races do interact....most students are from delaware and pennsylvania

That they are stuck up and snobby

my professors know my name...we stud a good amount...i don't spend time with professors outside of class...my least favorite class was philosophy

most popular team is football...students in dorms do leave their doors open...people party every weekend...you can go bowling on a saturday night and you dont have to drink

Allie

Whenever I tell people that I go to UD they ALWAYS say that they have heard amazing things about the school and that everyone they knew that went there LOVED it. At UD, and Newark, DE in general they are really bad at plowing the streets when it snows! Most frequent student complaints include the library not being open late enough. Our campus is the PERFECT SIZE, it has a large enough campus that you can meet new people everytime you go out, but small enough that you don't feel like it is so overwhelming and you can't walk everywhere.

Most students wear yoga pants/spandex with t shirts and swearshirts, northfaces, and uggs-classic college girl outfit. I think UD is made up of fairly higher economic backgrounds.

Yes about the hot girls but we are no bigger party school than any other large university.

Professors know my name in my smaller more major-oriented classes. My favorite class has been either Lead209 which has taught me to be a skilled presenter, and Lead311 which is human resources where we had to create a company and consider all the elements of a business. The leadership major is up and coming at UD and all across the country. At first it started as just a major I chose because I didn't get accepted into my previous major, but now I wish I started there from day one of college-I love it! UD makes you take too many breadth requirements and they should include more major-oriented classes that make you more well prepared for your future career.

That we have hot girls and that we are a party school

Greek Life is big! But I have also heard that if you are not in a sorority or frat you don't feel left out. There are alot of opportunities available through greek life, through professional connections, and friendships. Last weekend I went to a bid party for a frat. It was a blast.

Jenna

The best thing about UD is that there are so many things to get involved in...club sports, greek life, student organizations, jobs etc. I wish it were more diverse. UD is the perfect size...not too large so you feel like a number, but not too small so that you feel like you know everyone. I spend most of my time in Willard Hall...the education building. It is definitely a college town. UD's administration seems to be improving. The new president is very involved. Freshman orientation on diversity was the most recent controversy. Everyone is loves the fighting blue hens. I will always remember Homecoming and football tailgates. Parking on campus is a HUGE problem.

The campus is not very diverse. The students who are diverse stick together and do not branch out of their group. Many, many students are from outside Philly and New York. Students wear a whole range of outfits to class. Some girls wear heels , dresses, and full make-up, while others wear sweats.

Club sports are a huge part of the University. Each club sport is almost like its own fraternity or sorority. They pay dues, have mixers, meetings, and formals. Rarely do club sport people join a frat or sorority as well. Greek life at UD is very balanced. Many people join fraternities and sororities, but students definitely have a choice. You can be in a greek organization and have friends in other ones. There are many "fests" at UD such as Chapelfest and Skidfest. These days involve drinking on one street all day long. The money is donated to an organization such as research for cystic fibrosis. Last weekend we went out Thursday to the bars, Friday we had a party, and Saturday we went to the bars also. Every week night there are specials at different bars, like Tuesday people go to Kate's, Wednesday is Iron Hill, etc.

Some classes are 6 people and others are 300. There is a good mix of class size. Classes that can be large are large and classes that need more attention are intimate. Professors vary from amazing teachers who care to part time professors who do not take their job seriously. UD is a very difficult school academic wise. It is not a school that you can just go to class sometimes and cram.

We drink often and don't care about anything...very apathetic school. We are not a very diverse school.

Emma

I love the size of the school.. it's a small state school. I'd improve the public transportation on campus, but it doesn't create a big problem. I'm very proud to go to UD. Everything you need is on Main St, so the fact that it's not too near any cities isn't a problem.

I feel like there is a group for everyone. There are tons of student groups and ways to get involved in things on campus. I'm Jewish and participate in activities through the Hillel, but I'm also in a Christian based sorority.

Most intro classes are pretty big, but classes for your major get smaller and you get to know the professors. My major is human services which is non-profit organization/social work stuff. I really like it and it's very unique. I don't know any other school that has a program like this that includes so much information about human services careers.

I'm involved in Greek life, but it's not a huge part of campus life unless you want to be part of it. There are tons of on campus events and there is always something to do.

White, upper middle class, not very diverse

i like the size of UD, not too big but still large enough that you are always meeting new people. great greek life- greek week, mixers, fraternitys... all lots of fun. biggest controversy that i can remember was the rapist, a few girls were raped... not sure if they ever caught him. UD's brick campus is awesome :)

UD is not very diverse, atleast from what I have been around. Most students dress pretty casual for class, a few dress up a little bit more but not really, atleast in my major. UD students are mostly from PA, New york, jersey, a few from maryland, or delaware of course. Ironically there is a stereotype about the delaware kids though. Students are not that political, dont really talk about how much they'll earn one day, although in my major everyone hopes they will make a lot. Most students are from upper middle class backgrounds.

all wear north faces and uggs, predominately white college, party school

Freshman year classes were really big, didnt know professors unless you made an effort to get to know them. Now my classes are much smaller, most professors know me by name. Business school is way competitive, feel like everyone is competing for jobs. class participation counts for the grade in almost all classes. UD is almost too geared toward getting a job this semester, very helpful with resumes and interviews, etc.

Greek life. My dorm was friendly and everyone left their doors open but i have heard stories about other dorms that were not as friendly. Football games are popular, but not so much other sporting events. My closest friends are from my dorm freshman year and my sorority. A few close friends from classes. Dating scene- meet a lot of guys at parties and bars or in classes. On 2am on a tuesday i am either studying for an exam or during a not so busy week i have just gotten in from the bar. the majority of people party thurs, fri, sat... sometimes more, sometimes less. there will always be something to do those nights though. last weekend i went to the bar thurs and friday night and saturday night went to a bid party in wilmington.

nicole

I love how it is a big school. The buildings are so nice and it sut feels like "this is college"

Greek life is awesome at Delaware. Its not a big deal if youre not involved but it definatley makes the school feel alot smaller.

Alison

a lot of opportunities. parking. just right. well. classes or my apt. college town. good and bad. ? yes

integration and diversity is taken to an extreme - to the point where it does opposite what its supposed to do

Best thing about UD is the Student Body - size is perfect (won't get lost in a sea of students) but you still will meet new people as a Senior! Worst thing - Tuition Cost (although most student's parents pay their tuition) and Lack of Parking! People usually respect UD, some think it's a party school because it used to be like 10 years ago - now not so much School Pride is pretty good - fun football/tailgaiting season, other sports not too much school spirit, cool mascot :o)

Big Greek life and Athlete population Little racial diversity Mostly wealthy students from the North East who like to Party and who are good students

Not 100% accurate but believable when you see and spend time with the student population

Social Campus, very little commuting Lots of off campus housing and party opportunities Greek life and Athletes are the most popular and largests groups

Good mix of classes. Class sizes always vary which is cool. Some professors - so helpful, others don't care students have to make an extra effort (fair) Most student HAVE to take an extra semester, winter session, summer session, or come in with credits from HS in order to graduate on time!! Some job help: Career Services, Professors help usually, On site interviews, E-Recruiting service for students (Decent placement rate considering the economy today)

Wealthy Students, large jewish population, Preppy, Upcoming Ivy League status

Alex

I love the campus. I would the number of foreign, hard-to-understand TAs. The size is just right. Everyone says wow that's a good school or name someone they know who went there. I spend most of my time in class while on campus. We have a cute Main Street that is definitely college friendly. Most of the administration is really nice and is dedicated to helping the students succeed. The biggest recent controversy is about public safety carrying guns. Yes there is a lot of school pride, especially at homecoming. UD is just beautiful and a good school and a lot of fun. Everyone is so nice, in general. I will always remember the vigil on the Green after the Virginia Tech massacre. The students really came together and comforted each other. Students complain being too busy.

There are many different groups on campus and everyone I know is very understanding and curious about each one. I have heard of a few instances of racism and hate crimes. Someone from a small town or that was home-schooled may feel out of place because it is a pretty large school. Most people dress casually for class, wearing jeans and a casual shirt. Of course there are several people who wear sweats or get dressed up too. Different types of students interact if they have a group project or live together. The dining halls are mostly freshmen and sophomores so it's very mixed and you sit with whoever you know. Most UD students are from DE, PA, NJ, NY, MD. Many students come from well-off middle/upper middle class families. Some students are politically active, but not many that I know in the sciences. Students are predominantly left of center. Only the business majors.

Not really. We know how to party but that's not all we do. There are lots of people with money, yes, but not even close to everyone is rich.

It is a party school and everyone has a lot of money.

Football is popular and there are many fraternities and sororities. Phi Delta Epsilon is an international co-ed medical fraternity. We are for pre-med students. YES! The first few football games and homecoming are packed. We have good guest speakers that need more publicity. The theater is not very popular, but is good. People do not really date casually. Many students have a boyfriend/girlfriend on or off campus, but if you don't it is more about weekend hookups. My closest friends are people I lived with in the dorms. You just spend so much time together. Cramming for a test. Relay for life, homecoming, chapelfest, skidfest. Thursday-Saturday are the most popular going out nights. There are a lot of fraternities and sororities, but you won't be left out if that's not what you're interested in. Last weekend I hung out with my roommates, studies, and went to a big party. See a movie, go bowling, go to dinner, go out and don't drink. I live off campus and volunteer off campus.

Not really, unless it is a small or honors class. My class was Cognition. We learned really cool things about the brain and what happens when something is wrong. My least favorite class was Approaches to Literature. Students study regularly but mostly cram before a test. Class participation is common when teachers promote it. UD students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are somewhat competitive. The most unique class was US Latinas. The psychology department is huge. It has a good website but it is hard to track down advisers for advise. There are many good and diverse classes available in psychology. Many psychology professors do really interesting research but do not tell students about it. I go to office hours when I need help. UD has rigorous academic requirements but it is very clear what you have to take. I like how they emphasize multicultural classes but it is hard to fulfill the many core requirements outside of the major. It is geared toward learning and continuing education (ie graduate school/medical school/law school...).

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.