University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Top Questions

Avery

I would tell myself to stay calm and plan ahead, to really look at my options and to look at possibilities for scholarships and other aid everywhere. I would tell myself not to forget to enjoy every day as it comes, and that each day is an opportunity to do great things.

Okay, where to start..... APPLY FOR AS MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AS YOU CAN!!! College ends up being way more expensive than you can imagine so budget your money wisely and work a lot over the summer before moving to college. Don't assume that since you took college level classes through your highschool that the real college classes will be a breeze. It ends up being way more competitive than highschool and the workload is heavier. Restrain yourself from going out all the time and instead get a good night of sleep and some study time in. 8 a.m. classes aren't a good idea if attendance is not mandatory because I know you'll skip, you rascal. The same goes for night classes. Find a favorite coffee shop or building to study in because you will not get much done in the dorms (try Spyhouse, their coffee is SO GOOD). I know you're a little shy sometimes, but don't be afraid to talk to professors. They turn out to be pretty cool and helpful, and they could make a great reference one day. Good luck, Lauren. Follow future Lauren's advice and you'll do great!

"What do you go to college for?" This would be the first question I would ask myself. Not because I was unsure at the time or because my parents told me not to go to college, but because the experience is invaluable. Everything done at the university, every class is put toward the desired career. Starting my first semester at the university, I took it like it was high school. Attend, do the work, and I'll get good grades. I started out my first semester that way and I almost failed several major courses. This was the biggest wake-up call to actually put work into every class I take because later in life, I'm going to need that experience. I didn't think the universtiy was actually helping me with my career in every class I took. Understanding this earlier on would have helped my GPA and academic work in the courses I took. In response to my earlier question, placing myself in the feet of when I was a transitioning student, I would have answered "To get an education". I now realize that I am here to gain an immeasurable experience.

The most influential event that altered my character was the transition from being significantly overweight to healthy. Up until that point, I was bullied in school and unhappy with my lifestyle. I remember lying on the couch and watching TV on a beautiful, sunny Saturday; in that moment, I decided I was done living my life uncomfortably. Over the course of several months, I worked towards losing weight by drinking only a 16-ounce smoothie for lunch and running every night. After this became a habit, I was expecting to lose weight, but I was surprised by the side effects—I was more energetic, a better student, and extremely confident. So confident that I worked up the courage to ask out a girl, who is now my fiancé, on a date. The changes that I made within myself resonated in the people around me, and the faculty of my school awarded me with the “most improved student” award. If I could talk to my former self, I would let him know that the future is bright, and that the problems of today may seem insignificant in the future.

anh

I would told myself to start early in exploring possible career options that fit my interests and strenghts during high school. It took me a while to figure this out. Thus, I wasted a lot of time s taking classes for majors that I eventually realized I was not interesd. My other advice is to apply for a lot of scholarship as possible. There are thoundsands of scholarships out there for highschool and college students and it is not difficult to get one.

Kyra

Upon leaving high school and entering college, I had a fairytale like perspective on the world. High school had been simple and I transferred that idea on to my perception of college. What I didn't understand was that there are less factors to control in high school. Once in college I was not solely responsible for school work like I was in high school, but finances, living expenses and time management as well. These extra responsibilities gave me an anxiety overload. In the process of trying to learn to juggle these stressors I began to narrow my mind. I would perform only to the extent expected adhering to an assignment exactly. At the time I didn’t realize how this limited me until my professor made a comment. He said I was too afraid of failure that I wasn't challenging myself. My advice to myself would be don’t be afraid to fail. It is in failure, and with intelligence, the most extraordinary learning happens. Don't let a fear of a grade limit your ability. Work hard and expand your mind.

Jon

Jon, I'm here to give you some advice about College next year. I know that you're anxious, excited and maybe even a little bit panicked. I'm here to tell you to calm down, you're someone that always makes sure that your work gets done, so don't worry about the academics, just be ready to read, a lot. I'm here to tell you something else, I know that you always get worried about your schoolwork, I know that you often stay in on the weekends making sure that your homework gets done and I know that you pass up a lot of opporutnities because you're worried about your work. I'm here to tell you to relax. You will always have the time to get your work done. I want you to have a blast in college, go out with your friends on weekends! Never pass up an amazing opportunity that life presents you with! Life isn't all about academics, it's about having the time in your life during the best time in your life. You'll do really well in college, enjoy yourself, take a deep breath and go.

Dear me, ten years ago: You've received two college acceptances and you're having a difficult time deciding. A part of you wants to remain in your comfort zone and attend the in-state university. Another part wants to explore new horizons. Take the plunge and discover a new place. It will be the best decision of your life. At your freshman advisor meeting, be bold and decide you're going to double major even though you have no idea what lies ahead of you. This decision will allow you to graduate with an unexpected three majors and one minor, all because you were focused on your goal. When the opportunity presents itself junior year to study abroad for either a semester or a year, do the year! Everyone always says one semester is not enough, and it's true, it really isn't. The five month mark is the time when you finally start feeling comfortable with your surroundings and integrating into the culture, don't rob yourself of the opportunity to blend into life in a foreign country. Plus, you'll end up meeting your future husband! Most importantly, enjoy, because time flys by too fast.

Destanee

Dear past self, The first semester or half of the year was hard. For one thing, look a lot harder for scholarships. That way you won't end up crying in the hallway 2 weeks before the semester ends. Trust me, it was embarrassing. The second thing is don't take highschool for granted. I'll tell you a lie that they tell every freshman; it's easier to make friends in college. That is the biggest lie, typically most kids have friends already or are apart of organizations and make friends. So join some clubs, don't be me and have only one friend by the end of the semester. It sucks and I know it, I mean I've lived it. Lastly, keep working hard because that work ethic will be tons of help. Also make schedules because college life is twenty times busier. I lied, lastly, have fun. Make sure you have fun in college. Something I didn't do a lot of and regret. Sincerly the all knowing college freshman, Destanee

Be yourself. As cliche as it sounds, just be yourself. Don't worry about other people's perception of you because a less than a year from now, there is a good chance you may never see half the people you are graduating with ever again. Be spontaneous, ask that girl you've had a crush on all year out on a date, be a goof ball, crack jokes, don't hold back your thoughts in class, you're smarter than you think, and stop second guessing yourself. You've been second guessing yourself your whole life and nothing good has ever come from it, count to three, take a deep breathe, and do whatever it is you're worried about. It will change your life. Perhaps most importantly, learn to say "no", and better yet, don't always feel the need to explain yourself. Before you spend your whole life trying to please everyone else, make sure you take care of yourself first.

Push yourself in high school to take the harder classes. Doing so will allow you to jump right into classes required for your specific minor or major. In the long run, this will also help save money and time spent in college because AP classes count for college credit. Knowing what AP class, and which scores on the AP tests, will count at your particular college is important because many of them overlap on certain requirements. To amplify the effort put into high school, be sure to take as many classes as possible to fulfill the liberal education requirements, and work closely with and advisor at the college to make sure you are making the most of your time in high school. Keep in mind, high school teachers can be extremely helpful as well. They have gone through the college process and have, generally, worked at the high school for years and know things that can help. Take their suggestions seriously and explore the options they tell you about. Overall, focus on working hard in high school and doing your best, because it will help you in your future college career.

Ashlee

Don't panic

Lucas

You should take the PSAT and apply to more places. You completely botched applying to school and it almost cost you the academic career that has been going superbly well so far. Also try a bit harder in school, even if the courses are a tad easy there it's not good to slack in them for only that reason.

Feng

Hey you there, yes you (to myself). Don't dawdle around like that. Make the most of what you can now. Look for scholarships now, visit the school you want to attend more often, and most of all don't lose heart. You will make friends, find your classes (except on the first day), join groups and have fun all the while you are also learning. Remember, never give up. Things in the future may make look bleak, dishearting, and most of all terrifying. However, you keep on moving forward, and never regret your choice. I know that you won't, even if you have to say good bye to your friends and family. Just don't give up on your dreams, and remember that many people believe in you too. So, walk in to that dark and vague future, embrace what you have choosen because it's not so scary once you take that first step.

Okay, the lanyard they give you is NOT going to go around your neck- the keys go in the pocket and the lanyard hangs out. Ratemyprofessors.com is where you're going to go WHILE

Kenneth

You will grow greatly as a person in the next 4 years, let me give you a jump start. Start reading literally 5 minutes a day in a book that challenges you to become the best version of yourself. Believe in yourself; because you have healthy priorities, a passionate heart for service, and an encouraging conscience that will take you far. Ask her on a date, and find closure; your friendship will grow over the next 4 years, but no more than that. Believe in making good friends and in taking action, and you will find the perfect woman for you; and it will be great fun down the road. You are made up of your habits and your choices. Start now in building good habits and breaking down bad ones; the sooner you do this, the sooner you will begin experiencing a richer, more abundant life. Read one chapter a day in the gospels; and remember that the most influential people in history spent their lives pondering what is in the gospels. Make love your first reason for taking action and make everything else secondary. Ponder the difference between a nice guy, and a good, dangerous man. Take care.

Sung-Gi

When I see him, I'll begin by complimenting him on his good looks and his future sense of fashion, then I'll slap him and tell him to take studying seriously in college, then I'll tell him to slap me, for having to say that to him. After the look of confusion from his face and the stinging sensation from our faces subside, I'll tell him to sit down and begin to tell him a summary of my/his freshman year of college, which will begin by telling him that it's not going to be like anything he expected. He's going to waste money on a shirt he thought would look good on him, he's going to get lost for 5 hours trying to find a thrift shop 30 minutes away, and he's not going to make any friends. He's going to be too shy to join a club and too scared of social interaction to find a job, but then as I say this, I'll tell him he could change, then, knowing myself he'll ask if I'm different now. Then, silently, I'll say you'll find out.

The most important piece of advice I could give myself would be to invest more time in actually planning out my college career. I would tell myself to focus less on stressful interest surveys and put more focus inward--on finding what would truly make me happy. The second piece of advice would have to be to really work for scholarships. I formed a number of strong relationships with my high school teachers and advisors and letters of recommendation can go a long way. A small amount of time and effort dedicated to earning money now is better than taking out a loan--especially if you're not 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} sure you'll stick with your first major and school choice. Spending money you have is better than paying back money you don't--with interest. Living a life that's as close to "debt-free" as possible is ideal. Lastly, I'd tell myself to be okay with making mistakes. Tired stories about truly growing and learning during your college years exist for a reason--because those lessons you learn are inevitable. Take a breath, be kind to yourself, grow, and learn to let things go.

Katrina

I would be more open minded and less fearful - procrastinate less, try new things, and be proud of who I am. I think that there were a lot of unknowns in my life at that time, and I allowed myself to become very consumed by the uncertainties. I would tell myself that I am valuable and that difficult situations are temporary and sculpt us into deeper individuals. I think it is important to embrace the transient nature of that time in life and accept one's self in those moments. There really is nothing wrong with being in an ephemeral stage in life as long as you know it, embrace it. There are going to be uncertainties. There will always be questions and options and little bits of character in every piece of life. The important thing is to allow one's self to be surrounded by life and experience it fully - to keep moving forward and enjoy the process as such. I would limit myself much less. I would learn about subjects that scared me and not set parameters in which to define myself. I would grasp life as it is, real.

To my high school self I would advise two things: first, involve yourself more in your community, and second, to apply to essay scholarships rather than simple chance drawings. Had I involved myself more in my community, I'd have discovered many more passions; my knowledge of which would have greatly simplified my choice in major and potential career choice. In addition, this involvement would have created a stronger resumé and provided me with many valuable experiences in communications, community organization, and potentially public speaking. On the subject of scholarships: throughout my senior year, I convinced myself that I simply did not have the time, nor the energy to commit to essay scholarships. Instead, I poured those hours into my many AP courses and our drama department's productions. However, I now believe that that time could have been managed more effectively-had I split my hours between extra curriculars, schoolwork, and scholarship searching, my financial transition to college would have set sail more smoothly.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take my senior year more seriously. I would push myself to take all the advanced placement classes and college PSEO classes that I could. I would tell myself the more that I slacked off and procrastinated, the harder my first year of college would be. I would let myself know that popularity and being cool is not nearly as awesome as getting good grades and taking hard classes. I would stress the importance of acedemics and extraciriculars to myself to prepare myself for the courseload and the demands that are ahead of me in college. I would tell myself getting into my dream college was the easy part and that I would have a lot of hard work and intensive learning ahead of myself. I would tell myself to embrace everything going into my first year of college and get to know as many people as possible. Most importantly, I would tell myself to never lose sight of who am and what my goals are because even though it will be difficult, I can do it.

Toshiyuki

At the risk of sounding cliche, I would reiterate to my past self as so many others already had: embrace your college years for what they are and don't get too hung up on personal introspection early in the game. Personally, the hardest part for me over the span of my Freshman year was wrapping my head around the fact that your life, career, and personal development are never going to play out linearly, nor should you want them to. Coming from a household where my sister and I were the first generation of full-time, degree-seeking undergraduates the thought of life after college was ominously hazy. Our career trajectories would be entirely different than that of our parents, who both started working full time as soon as they were done with high school. All this is to say, you shouldn't waste your precious time as a college student trying to plan the rest of your life. Obsessing over your major will do nothing for you but take up focus and time that could be spent elsewhere, making memories with the people around you who are there, living in the same moment as you.

Michele

I would say that you really need to pick a college where you can feel at home and enjoy your time there. Also go with your gut when picking a major, since you really do need to be very interested in the topic and learning all about it. Don't worry about not fitting, everyone is in the same boat and you will figure it out. Go out there join clubs, meet people at lunch and just enjoy yourself. Make sure to study hard and take classes you wont fall asleep in.

H.O.P.E People could tell me that things would get better 1,000 times during my senior year, but I would never believe them. I would just nod and smile in response to their attempts to reasure me. It became an act and a mask I wore well and often; a disguise to hide the pain from my hurt and depression after losing my cousin to suicide. I didn’t know how anything could possibly get any better after that. My mom would tell me to try and have hope for a new start at the University of Minnesota. I held on to that hope and she was right, after my first year there I found a love within the campus that filled the hole in my heart, with life long friends and incredible new opportunities. I was completely satisfied and thankful for the new beginning. Although the pain of losing my cousin is still there everyday, it no longer is a pain that consumes my life. If I could go back to my senior year of high school, I would look myself in the eyes and give the advice: H.O.P.E, Hold On Pain Ends.

Emma, Goodness gracious girl, take a breath and relax!! You're doing great in school and you'll end up exactly where you should be--even if it's not your first choice. Stop comparing yourself to everybody else's standards. As long as you're happy with your life, that's all that matters. The sooner you realize that, the better. The goals of "everybody" aren't your goals; they don't want the same things and have different priorities. It doesn't matter if you don't get invited to parties--partying isn't a great lifestyle anyway--those people aren't your friends and trying to be like them will only hold you back. You're an amazingly talented young woman and you should be kinder to yourself. You're not perfect--no matter how hard you try--and you never will be. You will make mistakes and hurt people you care about. How you handle these situations will dictate how you, and people who care about you, view yourself. Be someone that the little girl who read "The Rock Book" would be proud of; if you do that, you can't go wrong. Always, Emma

Marika

Reflecting on my freshman year at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, I would emphasize two things to myself as a high school senior. The first would be to do what interests me and the second would be to not let others influence my decisions inside and outside the classroom. When in high school, students around me boasted about their lavish lives after pursuing a career in engineering or a career in business. This influenced me in the early stages of my freshman year to lean toward the path that would pay more money and not the one I truly wanted to do. In my last few weeks as a freshman I had an epiphany. College graduates say college is the best four years of your life, but why? Because college provides the opportunity to do what you love in a professional, individualistic way. It let's you make a career out of something you love and want to pursue. It is really what you make of it and not what other people want or think you should do because college truly won't be the best four years of your life if you're not doing something you love

Put down the drugs. I know it really hurts right now and it seems like the only way to make it better is to fall into a bag or a bottle and pretend the outside world doesn't exist. I know how scared you are of the diagnosis you just received and of all the work that you're going to have to put in just to lead a normal life. Everyone has their problems and no one can see the pain that others hide. You are not alone. Things are not going to go as planned. I know you think that ISU will change everything and that it will all get better. For a while it will, but you have to remember that wherever you go you will bring yourself with you. I know it doesn't make sense, but your daily work is going to be important. The world doesn't judge us on our test scores. It judges us on what we do every single day. I know you think the little stuff doesn't matter - that you shouldn't care because caring hurts. Truth is, life gets better when you care. Especially about the little stuff.

College is like hiking a mountain. As you begin your adventure, you can see where you need to go, and what obstacles you'll need to overcome. You pack your backpack full of the essential items: all the right classes, friends, professors. You believe you've thought of everything, every possible scenario that may derail your journey to the summit, but nothing will prepare you for the first obstacle. Whether it's a bad grade or a bad decision, you will not be ready. The first boulder is the hardest, but you'll find a way past it--you might take a left and find a tutor, or climb over to an advisor's advice; either way, you'll trek on. Halfway up the mountain, you may realize that you don't enjoy the path you're on, and that it's time to try a different way. You'll let go of some things in your pack and pick up new ones: experiences, lessons. Finally, you reach the top, and you realize that although it was the hardest thing you've ever done, you reached your goal and found something you didn't expect--a new view on life.

Jordyn

If I could go back and tell my Senior-in-High-School-self a little something about college, I would say that it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I mean, I knew this was going to be the hardest 4 years of my life. But I'd also like to know that I didn't have to go through it alone. I think the transitioning from high shool to college makes individuals think that college is all about ourselves. I have to make myself my first priority in school in order to succeed. But that's not all true. Of course I need to focus on myself, but I also need friends, multiple ones, with different stories and strenghs to build each other up. I can also rely on my professors because they really do care. They have concern for my well beig and asking for help is okay. They are there for a reason, to help me succeed and grow.

sabrina

if i could go back to my highschool self i would tell myself to never give up on my dream of being a social worker, i would tell myself to study as hard as i can. i would read, write, and think critically more than i did in my younger days. i would better prepare myself and be college ready by the time i finished high school. i would finish highschool and not make the mistake of dropping out and becoming pregnant at a young age. i would tell myself that no matter how hard my life got to keep moving forward and never give up on myself.

Lyndsay

Let's imagine a world where quantum mechanics as we know them today no longer applied. Let's imagine time travel is possible, and that I can indeed go back in the past and give advice to my highschool self. What would I say to her? First and foremost, I would tell her not to worry so much. Life needn't be half as stressful as she makes it out to be. Take some time off, go out for a jog, do some yoga, and above all, relax once in a while. Don't spend so much time worrying about the small mistakes you made because life goes on, and no one will even remember in a week or so. Try new things. Always try new things. You'll probably end up not enjoying all of them, and that's ok. You're going to find that one thing that you really love to do someday. But you won't find it sitting alone in your room in your comfort zone. Start looking for jobs fast, and get to know the professors. They're indimidating, but it'll pay off in the end. And above all, never give up!

Maura

I would give myself a few key pieces of advice about what is ahead. I would recommend that I, and all other high schoolers, do not give into the tempting fate of the senior slide. It may be easy to allow for yone's grades to slip or to not try as hard at the end of s senior year. Although my grades had no substancial drop my last semester of high school compared to all of the others, my advice to myself and others would still be to keep up on the schoolwork. This is the most important because it will help better prepare every student for the rigour and the amount of work that is required in order to succeed in college. Moreover, if every student keeps up his or her level of focus up in throughout high school, it will help him or her during their freshman year in college immensely. One other piece of advice I would offer is that when students are looking at schools, trust the gut feeling you get. Once you on the right campus, it will be obvious. There will be a certain "right" feeling.

Kulah

College is a huge step. Before you step into it, take the time to really think about what you want to do. It is important that the decision you make is yours and no one else's. This is the only way you would be able to make it through the 4 years.

Janet

The advice I would give myself is life is set for challenges. Challenges where you have to push yurself beyond your comfort zone. I believe that anyone has the potenital to do great things. Reach and touch people's heart. I know I'm leader because of the people who believe in me. I know will achieve and will continue to achieve great things. Having the ability to achieve everything you have set your mind to takes more than pushing yourself beyond your limits. As I raised the bars for myself and stepped forward, I have beome a person ready for any challenges that crosses my path. I have set personal goals that I believe will get me somewhere in this life. Anyone is capable in accomplishing their dreams.

Susan

"We are always getting ready to live but never living." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Abeer

The hands you shake are more important that anything. Connections are what get you scholarships, jobs, recommendations, internships, and other opportunities. And where you will get these valuable connections is more important than anything. So if you're going to a cheap school in the middle of nowhere, chances are your post-education opportunities will be limited, and your finances will suffer. Whereas going with a more expensive school at the center of opportunity may just pay off in the end. Be wise, choose opportunity, not money.

Caag

I will tell myself to study hard, do not slack off and that everything will work out alright. There will be hard times coming up but you will get through it and will climb those walls that you keep seeing.

Kimberlea

I would tell myself to start learning how to study. My high school was really easy to slack and get A's and B's so focusing on just sports made it really hard to do well my first year of college. However, now that I have learned to study classes are a lot more fun! Things are going to change so don't rest on what you have now, look to what you want in the future and adjust accordingly. I know that I could never have known that I would be diagnosed with OCD and that is part of my anxiety, but I would tell myself to learn to breathe and just relax, you cannot control everything and regardless, everything is going to end up okay. Finally, I would tell myself to just keep on trucking because eventually you are going to find what you want to do with your life and after about 8 long years you are going to be paid to do something you love, helping people.

I would tell myself to learn how to study before college. I was one of those kids who never had to study for anything and after completing a semester at college, I wish I would have learned how to study ahead of time. Additionally, I would have advised myself to start applying for scholarships earlier as the reality of college debt along with being financially independent has begun to sink in.

I would tell myself not to rush and to take time off before going to college, or to go to a community college if I didn't know what I wanted to major in. It would save a lot of money, stress, and time. Traveling long term and internationally was the best decision I ever made and that is what prepared me for college and gave me direction in what to major in, NOT my high school school education. Community college is not for people who aren't going to a 4 year college, it's a smart choice for people to save money and to inform themselves about life choices, jobs, and what they really want. You change so much every single year for the next 10-15 years after high school, and having to make a choice about where to study just bcause everyone says you should, even if you're not ready, is not something you should have to do. It's your life, your time and your money, not theirs, so do what is best for you. Doing what is best for you ends up being better for your friends and family, too.

If I could go back to the high school senior version of myself I would make sure that I knew how important all aspects of my senior year of high school were. It would be prevalent for me to know that school, friends, and sports were all equally important aspects of senior. School work is obviously important, but I would tell myself to put down the books every once in a while and relax. Grades seem very important in the moment, but your life is not going to be defined by whether you got an “A” in a class. Friends are the most important thing you take away from high school. I was lucky enough to realize this while in high school, but I still wish I had made more time for my friends. If I could go back to my high school sports career I would have told myself to slow down and enjoy it. It isn’t always about winning the game. It’s about how much enjoyment you get from sports, and the memories you can take with you. I had a great senior year, but there are still things I wish I would have known.

Keia

Don't expect college to be easy because high school was. It is a lot harder to get an A in college than it was in high school. It is important to take notes, study and get to know your professor. Also, make an effort to make friends during that first week before classes. It's hard to make friends once class starts because balancing a social life and schoolwork is almost impossible. Also, meet with your advisor often because they know more about what you want than you think. They're only there to help you and can tell you good classes to take and classes not to take based on other students' experiences. And buy a lot of Flexdine because food is important and you'll probably be eating at Panda Express at least once a week because it's that good.

The most valuable piece of advice I could give to my senior self would be learning can extend outside the class period, so take advantage of these sources. Throughout senior year if a lesson was esoteric, I believed there would be no other time or place to understand it better, but during college orientation I have now learned such resources did exist. At my university, there are peer study groups, a writing center, after hours with professors, etc. for whenever students need an extra session in difficult subject matters, all possible options I had in high school, but foolishly disregarded. Had I participated in these additional education opportunities, my grades would have surely improved and my feelings toward senior year academics would not be nearly as bitter.

Brennan

“Pay attention, give it your all, and realize that your education is an investment in yourself.” These words would have been invaluable to the High School senior version of myself. I’m sure I heard variants of this from my parents, coaches, and teachers throughout my schooling, but the High School mind has a sense of utter knowledge and wisdom. Unfortunately, I had neither in large amounts at that time. I was always a bright student, but referring to myself as a scholar would be false. I was much more concerned with girls, athletics, and weekends rather then studying or test scores. But college has a way of shocking a young mind into reality. No longer are you protected by youth or innocence. And that last precious year of High School is expected to guide you into adaulthood. I would tell myself to think how my actions would affect my life ten years later, rather than ten minutes. And I would drive home the fact that although your senior year can (and should be) somewhat fun; it needs to be equally productive if you plan on excelling in the next step of your education. “Take it seriously Brennan.”

adriana

If I could advice my high school self about how to prepare for college there would be a few things I would say. The first would be to make sure to dedicate a few hours a week during the summer months to refresh my memory on math and science. The reason for this is because the beginning of most freshman courses are review, and if I retained that information from the previous semester I would be ahead of the game, rather than trying to re-learn everything. The second thing I would tell myself is that while registering, not to enroll for seminars or classes that seem interesting, but are not under my major requirements. Even though these classes are fun, they do not help you graduate. The third, and last tip I would give myself is that while in school to make sure I not only study way ahead of the testing date, but to make a bit more time to socialize. This is something I will regret not doing, because making connections with others in your field is, and should be, part of the college experience.

Drew

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, high school could have been a little different for me. I would tell myself to be yourself and do not pretend to be anyone else. Fitting in is very important in high school but, teenagers seem to lose themself while fitting in. I had a hard time accepting myself for who I am. I wanted to lose that ten pounds and look like the other girls but, I have realized today that I will never be like them. I am unique and I do not need to be someone else. I would also tell myself to have fun while in high school. High school may be only four years but, it does go by very fast. I got caught up in homework and worrying about tests but, I wish I could have let loose and enjoyed high school a bit more. Lastly, I would tell myself that you can overcome procastination if you have the right mind set. You have to be postive and set aside time for your studies because it will only get more difficult as you grow up.

Keep an open mind about everything and try anything that interests you. If your friends aren't going that is ok because there are tons of new people to meet, you are attending one of largest universities in the country! Try new things on campus and explore everything Minneapolis has to offer because these four years will fly by and you won't be able to do everything you want but you most certainly can try. The beauty of college is that there are so many diverse people and you will find the perfect niche of friends. Although everyone is vastly different you will come to appreciate these differences and they will be a huge help to you and you will value the differences immensely. The biggest thing is don't be afraid. College is not high school and what you may have disliked about high school will not be a problem in college. Enjoy every moment because it will truly be four of the best years of your life.

Khalifa

Dear Khalifa, For one thing, tell that guy that you have liked since the seventh grade that you like him. You don't know how much that will affect you in college. You will think about not doing that everyday, and it will severely affect your mood, happiness, and self-esteem. It definitely makes you doubt yourself and your confidence will plummet. That self-doubt will destroy you as a person and kind of your grades too because most of the classes you have to take are based on participation points. Yikes! Also, it makes you doubt your intelligence which really sucks because no one enjoys feeling stupid all the time. Just remember the person that you were before entering college. You are smart, pretty, fun-loving, and capable of doing anything and everything under the sun. Never, ever, ever lose sight of that girl! Just let loose and sieze the day. Listen to "Sideline Story" every morning before school and take your favorite quote, "Feel the fear, and do it anyway." to heart. Don't let go of your champion attitude, and KNOW that you are amazing!

betsy

I would tell myself to slow down and take it easy. I would tell myself not to worry so much about the future but to focus more on the present. High school was the last thread of my youth and I nearly wasted it worrying so much about my future success or lack thereof. I would tell myself to find a better balance between academics and fun. The best advice I could have given to myself would be to let loose and enjoy the moment. I am thankful that my grades were high enough for me to be accepted into a very prominent University, but I am sorry that I was often so high strung and anxious. I would also tell myself to listen more to the adults in my life because they had more life experience than I did. I had a rather large teenage ego and thought that I knew everything, but I have learned now the ways of adult life the hard way.

Adriana

Taking myself back in time to my high school years knowing what I know now about college; I would tell myself, "Give yourself time Adriana. Choose your college wisely, look at all the possibilities, and make sure you will be satisified with your choice." There are many options and plenty of resources which I did not look into. I would tell myself, "Do not settle for the minimum." I would transition my decisions by double, triple checking my options financially and I would have explored what the college has to offer more throughly because there are some activities or organizations that I would've loved to be a part of and I think that is a big college expierence that I missed out on because the college I choose did not have any organziations nor activities to join. Although, I would not regret my college expierence, I can say that I met a lot of new people and did my best at the college I chose but if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life, that would be the advice I would give myself.