University of North Carolina Wilmington

« See more reviews of University of North Carolina Wilmington

You are going to over study for finals, its who you are. The prerequesites are really not as hard as you think so take an extra math class so you have a challenge. You are going to meet your best friend in the back of statistics class. It's amazing how friendships happen so quickly, so if you realize he has a crush on you ignore it because in a few years you are going to need him to be there for you more than you could possibly imagine and he will be there through thick and thin. I have no idea what is going to happen during the nursing program, it will probably be ten times harder than the first 3 year so enjoy the beginning of college., In the beginning the only stress you are going to have is that of life and death. Yes, it is going to be tough but your friends are amazing. They will help you through it because you were there for them whenever a boyfriend broke their hearts, so they are going to be there for you when life comes crashing down. Do not be stupid, get a prom photo with Mom.

When I was in high school, my main focus about college was the social aspect. I could not wait to have that freedom that came along with going to college. While these expectations were accurate, I would advise my high school self to be more expectant of the heavy workload and the busy schedules that were to come. Suddenly, I had less free time than I expected and this took me off guard. Also, I would advise myself to care less about what people think of me and my reputation. College differs from high school because it is much bigger and more impervious to cliques and rumors. College gives students a real chance to find their place in the world and figure out who they are without having to worry about silly high school drama and gossip. I wasted most of my freshman year on caring too much about others' opinions and I ended up losing my true self. I would definitely advise myself to focus more on becoming the person I want to be instead of trying to be someone that I thought others would like.

The best advice I could give myselfis that it will be alright. I may think I have all the answers; who I am, what I want to be, how to live my life. But I don't. And that's ok. College will open my mind to new experiences and people, question my beliefs and scare the hell out of me. But it's alright; I will survive. I used to think I knew it all, and looking back I know that I knew nothing. Looking ahead, I know even less. That fact doesn't scare me because my lack of knowledge is not ignorance so long as I always wish to learn, and college has instilled in me a burning desire to learn and wade through life's mysteries. My advice would simply be to try to be the best person I can from one day to the next, because that is still the closest I am to finding myself. To never have my life planned because life changes, and so will my fickle mind! My best advice to myself is that, despite my misguided self-confidence, everything will be alright, I will figure my life out in eventually.

First of all I would tell myself to get rid of that ugly brown jacket that I always wore, ick. Once that is out of the way, I would address the more important issues (not that looking fabulous has no importance, it's just not top priority). The first issue I would like to address is how shy I was. I would say "Listen Lexie, in college it doesn't matter who you were in high school, no one really cares, so get over yourself now and get out there and have fun. Do things you've never had the guts to do, like be youself! Chances are, you're not going to see these people again for years and years! Making the transition to college isn't that big of a deal, it's really not that big and scary. College is your chance to start fresh and be who you want to be. " I would also tell myself "Live your life to the fullest while you still can because the real world is about to come crashin down on you. Say hello to bills and loans, college ain't cheap sista! And remember: live, laugh, and be you!"

Knowing now what I know about college, I'd have a lot of advice for my high school self. First of all, I'd start by telling myself it's a lot more work than high school is. College takes drive and a lot of patience. I believe that college takes a lot of preparation. You need to be ready to begin each day. You need to have each class's homework done before the beginning of those classes. You will also need to learn time management. When in college, you need to be able to manage your time well, if you don't you'll have time for nothing else besides school. My advice to myself would also be to not stress. Stressing only causes more of a headache. College is a big change and one that you need to be ready for. Take some time before you begin a semester to prepare yourself. Another piece of advice I would offer is to take some time for yourself. All in all, college is a big change. I would suggest taking it slow and not sweating the small stuff. After all, slow and steady wins the race.

I would have taken more time searching and applying for scholarships. I see now that they are needed more than I ever imagined. I had high hopes of working when I got to college to take care of my daily needs, and my parents would do their best to pay my tuition. But now I see , With my classes and the homework and the papers and the studying, I do not have the time that I thought I would to work. I babysit every once in a while, and would love to be able to babysit more. I did make the Dean's List my First Semester and I worked extremely hard for this. I did really well my High School years acadimically but I wish I had done alittle more to earn money and scholarhsips . It would make this monetary transition much more tolerable for my family. I see my parents struggling because both of them lost their jobs last year and they have had to start over and its just hard seeing this and I cant help like I would like. hopefully its not to late to try to make up for it now.

I have gained a love of learning and knowledge that I never would have experienced had I not made the choice to attend college. Never before would I have had the discipline to stay up late into the night and put school before everything else. Attending college has truly made me into the type of person I want to be. I have learned to prioritize, to set goals and go after them, and to take on challenges. I have also gained an extreme determination to succeed, and the knowledge that I can over come any hurdle. I am a single mom who works and goes to school and there have been many times where I felt it would have been easier to give up. These feelings go away every time I step onto campus and get a sense of hope for my future, a sense of accomplishment for just being there. The feeling I get when a paper or test has come back and I've done well gives me the enouragement I need to do well in every aspect of my life. College has definitely shaped who I am today.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell her not to be so hard on herself. The one major thing I have learned in college is that it's important to be yourself and not stress about the small things. In high school I worried so much about what other people thought of me and the type of person I wanted to portray myself as. I've realized now how silly this and I would tell myself that what other people think of you should be the least of your worries and the only person you need to be is yourself. I would tell myself to stop worrying so much and to stay optimistic. Even though things may seem hard at the time, in the end everything works out the way it's supposed to. You can put a positive spin on everything, you just have to look for the silver lining. The last thing I would tell myself is to have more fun. To enjoy my life, wherever it takes me, and to be grateful for all of the wonderful people,things, and opportunites that I have.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school, I woud have so much to say. I would tell myself to make my college decsions based on what I want in my life, not based on my parents' wants. I would tell myself to go to a University college immidiatly, instead of going to a community college first and wasting three years. I would also tell my high school self that your grades in high school are so important and that coasting by with Bs is not living up to your potential and that you are capable of so much more. I would also tell myself that working 5 days every week in high school makes plenty of money, but it doesnt make any memories. I would tell myself to take a weekend off and spend time with the people that you will eventually lose contact with and not see until your class reunion. The most important thng I would tell myself is to have fun with friends, be kind to every single person at school and to work hard.

Kevin, get an on-campus job. They are terribly easy, the money is great and you can study while you do it. You just cannot beat that. Go to UNC-Wilmington. There's great weather, the classes are easier, it is by the beach, you will meet some great people, and you will meet your girlfriend there. Do not take those science classes. And if you do summer school, do it at a community college. Then transfer as you have planned to UNC or Notre Dame. A degree from UNC-Wilmington is very limiting, but while your here, enjoy it! It's not where you start, but where you finish! But keep up your grades and use ratemyprofessor.com and myedu.com. They are life savers and will boost your GPA up dramatically. Search and research what you want to major in. You will change your mind thousands of times. Other than that, do not take for granite your time in college. This is independence without the responsibility of bills. It cannot be replicated.