University of North Carolina Wilmington

« See more reviews of University of North Carolina Wilmington

Honestly, If I could go back I would not change a thing. When I was a senior I had a plan, I followed my plan and though it has changed I still believe It was right for me at the time. The choices I have made and the decisions that have come my way have shaped me into the person that I am. If I did not go the way that I went out of high school then I would not have experienced and learned from the obstacles I was faced with. In high school I made mistakes and though I was not perfect God shaped me into who He wanted me to be. I have learned so much within the last couple of years. Everyday I learn something new about life and myself. I choose to live day by day and do the things I feel led to do. If my plans change then that's okay, I will learn and take the steps required of me to change my path. I long to Enjoy life and refuse to worry about my future and where I need to be because it is all in the hands of someone greater!

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to be more outgoing and not care what people think. I would tell myself to really make the most out of senior year and not take it for granted. I would tell myself to get more involved, talk to new people outside of my social circle and to not be afraid to try new things. Once high school is over, there's no going back, so you need to appreciate it while it lasts! Learn how to talk to people and be open-minded towards those who have different views than you. You need to do these things while you're still in high school because you will need these skills in college. If you want to make the most of your college life, plan on getting involved! Meet new people, join a few organizations and perfect your study habits. Don't get overwhelmed though - college isn't as scary as your teachers are making it out to be. Just have fun, study hard, and worry less.

I would put extra emphasis on the importance of recognizing the economic climate of the state in which you choose to attend university. The economic condition of this country has limited the availability to funds typically available in most states and some states are more economically depressed and have therefore lost funding FIRST. Georgia, for instance has lost many of the big lenders at this time. It is much more difficult to remained focused on your education if you find that it is necessary to work excessively or not be able to meet your basic expenses! Additionally, investigate the credentials of the professors who are employed at the prospective school. College is as important for networking as it is for education. A college which staffs important members in the field you wish to pursue will give you more chance for guidance in the right direction in regard to which classes to take and which internships to secure.

When chosing a college you need to be open minded and prepared for the disappointment of not getting into the college of your choice. Just like life, things are not always perfect. You need to decide if you want a small or large school and always have a saftey net. It is also ok to go to the local community college first to obtain credits. Sometimes I wish I had gone to community college for longer than a year as I was not able to obtain monies from scholarships because I was deferred and it was after the submission date for money. You should remember that everyone is different and that your roommates will not be like your firends at home but you might just find that friend. I know that my first semester was very difficult but I am having a better seconfd year and I have made some friends............I even ran my first half marathon with my new friends. Just keep an open mind and be willing to accept change.

I would tell people not to pick a college based on its location or who you know that is going there. You should choose your school based on the type and quality of education you are looking for. Choose the type of environment that will make you most happy and will also give you the ability to be or become who you are. It is very important to choose with an open mind where you will go because the university or college you choose will help shape who you are the rest of your life. It is also very important to be very active in your school community to make the most of your college experience. Whether its joining a greek organization, playing intramural sports, joining a club or volunteering, all of these things will help to make your experience all the more valuable. Never in your life again will you have the opportunity to try so many different things all in one place that will help you become you.

Visiting a school is an absolute necessity before making your final decision. Not only do you need to know about the university's academics and extra-curriculars, but the city it is in as well as the people there (faculty, staff, administration, and students) can make a huge difference. It would also be beneficial to talk to someone in the administration about where they see the school in 5 years. For instance, my school underwent major construction for 3 of the 4 years I was there. It was slightly inconvenient at times, but I ended up with fantastic facilities at my disposal. Another thing you should do is look into many different majors the school offers. I started at my school for marine biology and ended up an accounting major. You never know how your plans will change, so you should make sure that your school is strong in many different areas, not just the major you think you will pursue.

I know it sounds like a bad lecture from your guidance counselor. But really try and pick a place that fits you best academically. Sure, when you get on campus the first thing you will do will be to make friends, attend parties, join clubs or whatever else fits your personality. But as time goes on you will grow up and your classes will become more and more important. If you are in a place that doesn't fit your career goals you will have to transfer. And then it doesn't matter how many friends you made that first year, because you will have to leave them. Also, no matter how much fun you are having at college, if you don't make the grades they kick you out. Plain and simple. I like to have a good time just as much as the next college student. But unlike some of the people that I know, I'm not on acadmic probation, I don't have to graduate late and I haven't been kicked out. School first. Period.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry about college so much. The transition really is not that hard and the independence is amazing. However, while I was telling myself to not focus on college so much, I would tell myself to focus more on my school work. It was in my senior year that I began to slack off and my GPA was lowered. I, partially, believe that my old work ethics of my senior year in high school followed me into my first semester of freshmen year of college. As this is the second semester, I am really making up for it. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that grades are still, and always be, important and they can really affect a lot of things. If I had known then how much I was working to make up for it now, then maybe I would not have slacked off so much. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Having College experience is very benificial towards ones future. College education is great to have for future needed jobs. College is very valuable to attend because college is what determines where you will go in life and how you will live your life. If one desires a well-off future it is important to attend a college and receive a degree in an optional major. Majority of the ecomonmy's jobs that non college graduates work pay minimum wage. Other jobs offered with a pay check thats well over minimum wage an hour are offered to those with college degrees. Staying focused is the key to sucess in graduating and getting the job you love and a paycheck that brings a smille, not a frown. What i have gotten out of college experiene personally is that it will bring a great future and to stay attending if i want to recieve the outcome thats guaranteed if i made it to graduation.

Besides the wealth of knowledge just from learning, I have learned valuable research tools necessary for my field. I have learned the importance of primary verse secondary sources to pull details for a better argument. I hope I have learned to write an interesting and readable research paper. Above all I learned not to procrastinate. I learned how to manage my time around work, school, family, children and friends. My most memorable experience while attending UNC-W was travelling with my classmates across the ocean and seeing a whole new way of life and experiencing another culture first hand. There is more than this small town and I tasted a small piece of it. Now, I hunger to experience more of the world and learn as much as I can about other people, places and cultures in hopes of finding meaningful ways to promote the similarities that tie us all together in this world.