University of North Carolina Wilmington

« See more reviews of University of North Carolina Wilmington

Minda, I know your senior year is going to be a breeze; however, you still need to focus and continue to work hard. Do not slack off or become lazy. College is going to hit you with a lot of work all at one time. So learn to manage your time wisely and learn a study techinque that works for you because believe me, there will be a lot of studying in your future. Classes will be increasingly hard than what you are used to, but do not worry, I know you are more than capable of handling it. Just focus, study hard, and remember that everything happens for a reason. Things wont always necessarily end up the way you planned, but just have faith in The Lord's plan and in the end, you realize what God's purpose was all along. GOOD LUCK! Love, Minda

I for the most part have enjoyed my college experience. I have some doubts to if I should have joined a fraternity as a lot of my friends are in fraternities and I sometimes feel like I made a mistake in not trying it out. I am glad that my University is very accepting, enthusiastic and accomadating of me wanting to study abroad (in Valencia, Spain currently for 2 semesters). Was a freshmen orientation leader the summer between my freshman and sophomore year and that allowed me to change my character (become less shy). The campus is very calm and pedestrian friendly, though when it rains it pours, flooding the campus so hopefully school admins can fix that. Though UNCW was my 3rd choice, I am glad I applied was accepted, and enrolled here.

I attended UNC Wilmington because of the Athletic Training program offered there. It is a highly accredited program of study. I have learned so much about myself moving to the university. I feel like the atmosphere has allowed me to mature and get to know myself. I moved to wilmington all by myself and it was the lonliest and hardest thing i have ever had to do. When i look back on what i have accomplished in just 9 months, i am ecstatic! I have kept a very high GPA and have learned so much material. I am minoring in psychology and majoring in athletic training. There has not been one class i haven't enjoyed. I have gained not only a lot of knowledge, but i have developed some really good companions along the way to greatness.

Make sure that there is plenty of availability of courses related to the students field of interest. Also make sure that the courses will be available at all times of the year. Make sure to request an advisor who specializes in the students focus and will have the pertinent information regarding internships, experience, application deadlines, testing that must be completed before progressing to grad school (and the timetable in which to address these things!). Make sure to tackle all of these things early rather than later: There is nothing worse than spending your senior year scrambling to fill the "holes in your resume," whether that be for the purpose of job hunting or furthering your education. Have fun. Breathe. Study!

During my college experience I obtained the education and knowledge to be a leader. It has been a valuable experience because of the wide variety of management and creative problem solving skills that you obtain during college. I found that my college experience was enlightening on the basis that the college not only brings academic excellence to the community but also a large diversity of students. I find that it is imperative to attend college in order to obtain the skills necessary to become a leader no matter what major you choose. My college experience also helped me to realize that anything is possible if you work hard at it, and continuing to further your education not only benefits you but your community as well.

If I could go back to high school and give myself some advice about college and this transition, I would tell myself that growing up does not mean moving away from loved ones and isolating yourself. I grew up in a very small community, and I was determined to get far away from it when college time came because i thought that's what i had to do to feel grown. However, now that i am in college, I have learned that you dont have to leave your family to grow up and figure out who you are and who you are supposed to be. I would spend more time just enjoying the company of loved ones because on a daily basis, I long to be in that small community again with the people that helped me transform into the successful student I am today.

My high school year I was focused on getting into the "right" college and having the perfect grade point average. I left behind my social life and some extracurricular activities that although I enjoyed, were not resume builders. I know now that my first choice may not have been the perfect choice for me, but I'm happy. I wish I could just tell my past self to worry less, and enjoy high school a little more. I ahve learned that no matter how you try to meet people, it will be easy enough. I've learned that sometimes your grade point average does not get you as far as your personality. Most importantly I have learned that life is not so much about making the right decision as it is about loving the decision you make.

My advice to students is to pick the college they want to go to by the actual services and academics they offer. Never pick a school because that's where your best friend is going - you will not be happy there. Although parents should be involved in their child's university choice, they should allow the student to really pick the school they love. Parents should not push a certain school on their child. In order to make the most of your college experience, get involved on campus and in academic programs where you will gain the most from your experience there. I never got involved on campus and am regretting it now that I am almost graduating. You can meet many friends in the dorms and in other on campus activities.

When I was a senior in high school I was so excited about going to college; about moving on to the next level of my education. I had my whole life planned out, where I would go to school, what I would study, everything. If I could go back I would tell myself to be open to new ideas. Altering your path a little might not be such a bad idea, it could help you in the end. Listen to what people have to say, you are not always right about everything; listen to other people?s opinions. I would tell myself to not only think about college for the end result, a career in anthropology, but also to focus on the path that is going to get you there. Have fun while you can, but also stay focused on school and live your dream.

The best advice that I could give for a soon to be college freshmen in search of their new school is to make sure you feel at home. There's no place like home and there are thousands of schools in the world. Finding one that satisfies the student, and of course the parents, is key. A student?s success, not only academically, but emotionally and socially as well, is hugely impacted on whether or not they enjoy being a part of their school. If possible, visit the campus's where you are seriously considering, it makes all the difference! Feeling comfortable while still expanding your horizons helps to get the sense of whether or not you can be successful in the environment of the college you are about to attend.