University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

Driven and hard working students. The business school is very competitive and people are friendly only if you approach them.

The students at the University of Richmond are hard-working, driven academically, and most come from wealthy families.

Richmond is a community where everyone finds students that will become their new best friends.

Students at the University of Richmond are motivated, active, and hail from affluent areas.

Great people. Always friendly and helpful.

I like the kids for the most part.

rich, white kids

Richmond does tend to be pretty homogenous; however, there is a real effort to get a more diverse student body and to recognize diversity of all kinds on campus. Racially Richmond is actually pretty diverse and there are also a large percentage of international students on campus. Religion wise most students are Christian of some sort and there are very few LGBTs at Richmond. Additionally, while many students are here on scholarships and there is a good variety of people in various socio-economic groups, most students at Richmond do tend to be upper-middle class or very wealthy. However, this is not to say that there aren't any people of a certain ethnicity, religion, or sexuality because I have met a large variety and diversity of people here on campus. If you look hard enough you can find any type of person you might be looking for here at Richmond. Most students wear to class jeans and, depending on the person, either a casual t-shirt of a nice top. Some students go all out even at 8:15 in the morning with dresses, cute flats, blown dry hair, and immaculate makeup, however, many students exhibit typical college kid outfits with sweats and a t-shirt. It's also common to see students in workout outfits because the gym is a hot spot on this campus and if the student is an athlete they tend to wear their warm-ups or some clothing displaying their sport. Most Richmond students are from the east coast, particularly Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. However, there are also a good percentage of international students and west coast students. It tends to be a good mix that brings together a lot of different backgrounds. Sadly many students are not politically aware or active. Richmond students tend to be very apathetic when it comes to getting involved in politics on or off campus and many students don't even know what is going on politically. Richmond does have the College Republicans and College Democrats on campus who attempt to raise awareness, however, sadly, they still lack support and many students just don't care. However, there is a good mix of republicans, moderates, and democrats on campus. Students don't talk about how much they'll earn one day. If anything, girls talk about how much their future husbands will earn! Some girls seem to come here only to marry rich and they don't really care about their education.

My experience with different social groups has been positive. Because we have such a strong study abroad program, our school admits a lot of international students which exposes us to many different nationalities, religions, etc. Within the classroom it is great because we are able to get a much more direct account of global events - globalization is made that much more real for us. Outside of the classroom, though, it is rare to see the international group. The different social groups on campus sort of stick together. If you are involved in Greek life, it is a very plain vanilla group (which is about 50% of the student body). The other half of campus does get exposed to different social groups. My experience has always been that LGBT groups are very open and accepted, but I have heard contrary reports from peers and friends. The races on campus are very divided, not segregated, but we do not go out of our way to mix. Our campus is also very divided based upon schools that we are in. For example, the business school is considered the elite bunch who rarely interact with the Liberal Arts school. This may correlate with Greeks vs. Independents. Most Richmond students are from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. There are Pennsylvania and Delaware students, but more rare is someone not from the northeast. Most students wear jeans and collared shirts, Greek shirts, etc. We dress for class. Rarely (except in the instance of the athletes) do we show up in sweat pants or pajamas. The students at University of Richmond come from middle-class or upper-middle-class. If they aren't, they act like they do. I'd say that 70-80% of our campus is not politically aware. Those that are, are the very left-wing and the very right-wing parties. Everyone else stays quiet. Everyone in the business school is very open and frank about the fact that we'll be banking millions one day.

I still feel like there's a big racial divide on campus. The campus is undoubtedly overwhelming Catholic/Christian, which I consider kind of a bummer. Most don't seem to be practicing, however (something important to note). I still have many friends who are Hindu. Don't know too many atheists on campus... (at least they're not out-spoken enough to be known). Most students get too dressed up for class (in my opinion). I think students who are more of the "outsider" type would feel out of place at Richmond, but I think that they should not be scared away from Richmond- there are others like them here! A lot of Richmond students come from PA, MD, CT, NY, VA, NJ, etc... aka, the north east. I'm from CA, and I've definitely met more Cali/west coaster students here than I expected to meet. Lots of internationals, which I love. There are definitely students here paying full price, but I also know a lot of students who are on practically full financial aid (though you would never know unless they told you). There are also a lot of scholarship recipients (50 full-tuition scholars out of every class). Students are as politically aware as I would like, though I think the election is changing that attitude a little bit at least on campus. I wish however, that students were more passionate about [especially] international issues, and the US's effect on the rest of the world, good and bad. Most students seem to be center-ish. There are too many crazy liberals on campus putting on protests (I would like to see that). I think everyone hopes they'll make a lot of money one day, but I've met students here who know they won't because of what they want to go into (teaching, social change, etc.).