University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

The student body is not the most diverse I've ever seen, but also not the least. The majority of people that you will see when walking around campus are preppy, white, upper-middle class kids. This is not to say that there is no diversity what-so-ever...there is. The racial percentages are not much worse than any of the other colleges that I looked at as a high school senior. There is definitely an LGBT community on campus. One of the things that took me a little getting used to was what people wear to class. It would be completely normal to wear a sundress, high heels, and pearls to class. A t-shirt and jeans...not as much. Most of the boys here wear button down shirts and nice pants or shorts--khakis, vineyard vines, etc. However, the more I got used to campus, the more I started wearing jeans and t-shirts to class. It's not like you'll be judged or ridiculed for not wearing a sundress, everyone just likes to look their best for class. It's actually kind of nice.

I would say students are maybe a little more libral than a normal population but we do have a definate conservative presence on campus. I feel like there is a little bit of everything on campus. There are a lot of overachieving students, but then there are some lazy bums too. I must say there aren't a lot of "gothic/alternative" styles on campus. There are some preppy people, but its not everyone. I have a theory that there are certain people that like to sit on certain sides of dhall, if that counts, of course some people dont care, but some people have very specific preferences. Side when you first walk in: Alot of Sorority or Frats somtimes, people who are too lazy to walk farther or are waiting on a big group, a bit preppier, middle: Athletes, including club, other just middle of the road people, far side: creative quieter people. I think students assume they will make decent money one day. We don't talk that much about it.

From first glance, it certainly may seem that there are a lot of "white preppy kids" going to UR. ANd sure, a lot of people do come into the school coming from places with a lot of money. However, once you get on campus, you realize that just because someone is wearing a J.Crew sweater does not tell anything about that person as an individual. It is true that UR does not boast the highest percentage of people from other ethnicities or many social groups, but there does NOT exist any type of exclusion to those people. I myself am asian, but have NEVER felt any sort of animosity or exclusion because of that. People here are very laid back and do not try to find any reason to separate themselves from others. Perhaps the only people that would feel out of place at Richmond would be kids that are not pretty confident in themselves or kids that might possibly be offended by such things as parties or what not.

The campus is extremely homogenous. Generally students are white, well-off, and wear polo on a daily basis. Anyone who is a "hippie" type or an intellectual will probably feel out of place at Richmond. Girls generally dress up for class, in the warmer weather, they typically wear dresses around campus. In the winter, UGGS, the latest expensive designer, and JCrew are staples. Boys can generally get away with deisel jeans, or polo pants, with a t-shirt or lacoste/polo shirt. Students at Richmond generally stick to their own social groups and do not really intermingle. Like the movie Mean Girls, certain social groups have their typical place in dhall. Even though Richmond is located in the capital of the Confederacy, most students are from New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, basically anywhere up North. Most students here are rather conservative, though they do not actively support any causes whatsoever.

At first glance Richmond seems to have a very homogenous student body. But once you get past the very visible preppy crowds, you can find people of every kind. You can get away with wearing just about anything to class short of all-black goth attire, which is just about the only kind of person that would truly feel out of place at Richmond. Students definitely have their own groups of friends who they hang out with primarily, but most people here are very friendly, and its very easy to make new friends and to hang out with groups of people you probably wouldn't have in high school. Unfortunately there is very little race interaction on campus. There is no animosty between any racial groups, but everyone seems to be more comfortable hanging out with people they can easily identify with. Everyone here is very intelligent and in depth discussions on complex topics are not uncommon.

Richmond is often described as the University of Richmen. But I'm not a rich man. I suspect it gets this reputation partially b/c after I graduate, I'll have the opportunity to become a rich man. I've been very pleased with the religious life on campus with numerous opportunities for involvement. There is also a large number of students involved in community service which is coordinated by the Center for Civic Engagement. You can wear what you want to class or around campus and people don't really care, there's a kind of motto of "Do You" do what you want and what you like, we can look deeper than skin color or clothing and realize that people are more than they seem. People aren't big on protests or anything and seem to stay neutral with political issues, but there are definately a few vocal minorities on each side.

The school is mostly white. Anyone who isn't used to the private school atmosphere where the majority is white, probably wouldn't feel as comfortable here although there are some diverse populations here that are very close. Students wear whatever they want to class ranging from a brand new pair of jeans, a t-shirt and tennis shoes to what they wore at a party the night before to even pajamas because they just rolled out of bed. One day a kid wore just a robe to class all day, so it can get interesting. If I had to break the dining hall into four tables it would be....A table with the rich preppy kids, A table with the black kids, A table with the jocks and A table with the Asian/Indian/Other kids. The most prevalent backgrounds at the school are RICH kids.

Starting answering!We have a diverse student body at the University of Richmond. I have friends from all socio-economic, religious,and racial backgrounds. We have a very large international student body so it is easy to make friends from all backgrounds. There is really no norm for what students wear to class. Some wear sweats, some wear jeans and a t-shirt, some wear designer labels, and some dress very nicely. The highest majority of students are from the North East USA, however we have students from all over the country and all over the world. The majority of students are not very politically aware but some are. Almost all students interact with each other regales of age, race, religion, socio-economic background, or sexual orientation.

LGBTs are generally not well-received on campus, there is no outward hatred but many do not feel comfortable coming out here. Furthermore, there are few minority students here and many of them clump together. Religious diversity is also nearly non-existent. Most students dress up for class, rarely wearing sweatpants. Most students come from a lot of money and they show it - items such as Ugg boots, North Face jackets, Vera Bradley and other 'fashionable' items are frequently seen. Few students have ever held a job, whether out of necessity or just to get experience. Most students are from New Jersey. The student body is generally apathetic - nobody really knows much or cares about politics and current events.

Not a very diverse campus, but made worse by the fact that it feels racially-divded. Richmond spends a lot of time talking about cultural acceptance, but in the end all it does is create more tension. One of the biggest issues I have is with Pre-Orientation, when all minority and international students are invited to move in a week earlier than other students. I feel that this causes many problems because the minority students all make friends with eachother during pre-orientation and then don't branch out once the other students arrive for regular orientation. This only causes more separation between races. The typical Richmond student is a rich, preppy white kid. Let's just say popped collars are big.