University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

Most popular groups: Anything christian Anything with alcohol involved I'm involved with Voices for Planned Parenthood which is self explanatory and Active Minds which helps people who do not feel accepted realize that they aren't alone and that they can find help with CAPS etc. Also to get the word out about mental illness on campus.I'm also in Asian Beat which is a hiphop dance group that uses asian hiphop or rap. Dorm Doors: They are always closed Athletic events... *shakes head* Guest speakers: we get some good ones. I have to say that's pretty good. Theater: Could be better Dating scene: The guys are immature and only here because they heard that all the girls were really hot. That's all I have to say. I go out with VCU guys. Closest Friends: I don't feel I have met my closet friends. My closest friends are in NY and it's going to be like that for the rest of my life. 2 a.m. on a tuesday... STUDYING FOR AN ORGANIC TEST! Traditions: Ring Dance (it's a debutaunt ball for junior girls, you all wear white and get escorted by your father/boyfriend down the staircase of the Jefferson and then the Dean of Westhampton college gives you your class ring.) Proclamation night: the first year girls wear white and write letters to themselves while the seniors wear their black grad robes and open the letters that they had written to themselves their first year here. You also learn about having Westhampton pride... blahblahblah. People party on thursday, friday and saturday night at two different places, the apartments or the lodges (frat houses). Note: no frat housing is allowed, they just have little houses to have parties, kind of like a club house. But none of the sororities are allowed to have houses... I hear it would be considered a brothel then or something by VA law. Greek Life is HUGE! last Weekend: I went to three different amazing concerts being put on by a lot of different groups. There isn't much to do on campus if there isn't drinking involved. Actually, go to the gym and play DDR. Off campus I don't do much other than go out to eat go to Doctors appointments and go shopping. We do have three malls within 20 minutes of campus. (they are the ritz too. It's rather ridiculous.)

Sororities and fraternities are very prominent on campus. I honestly don't know much about them but there are a lot of socials held and several people walking around with lovely Greek letters on their shirts. And I'm sure there's a hierarchy of groups and I know there are different difficulty levels and types of people who are chosen for each one. I just don't know which one is which. I am involved in Christian Student Fellowship (CSF). We get together once a week and have a home cooked meal, prayer and a message by a guest speaker or a student. It is a great time to come together and relax, talk about the week and get some encouragement. I am also involved in The Collegian as an Assistant News Editor and Reporter. I have only recently become involved but so far it seems like a close community. And, of course, if you want to be a Journalist it looks great on resumes and internship applications. There are a lot of parties, mostly in the University Apartments, I think, but we do not have what I would call a big party scene. Unfortunately we have had a rash of students having to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning which disturbs me. Hopefully the administration gets to work on this and does what it can to prevent future incidents. *Hint hint* Again, why did I pay for that URAware class? Dating seems to be taboo on campus. Many people have significant others back home but I have yet to see a couple holding hands or kissing, etc. That's pretty unusual since I've been on campus almost everyday for the past six months, minus weekends and holidays. Maybe they all hook up on the weekends, I don't know. There is the walk of shame from Grey Court (Freshmen guys dorm) to the girls dorms that I advise all girls, especially Freshmen girls, to avoid at all costs. Just don't do it. Having a social life and being a good student is difficult and stressful but seems to be possible. It takes a good amount of planning and messing up before you figure it out but they tell me it helps in life after college.

People party on the weekends, and some thursdays. Its not a party school. Yes, we have a lot of fun / go out hardcore, but schoolwork is the priority. If you have a huge paper, you just don't go out that weekend. its that simple. Fraternaties and Sororities dominate college life. If you aren't into greek life, well, that just sucks for you. Lodge parties are the main weekend events. Apartment parties happen too, but again, they are usually thrown by someone who is greek-affiliated. Frat/sorority socials are also big things here. Sometimes there are downtown "richmond" events, but they are also sponsered by frats. you dont need to be involved in greek life to partake by any means, but its a huge thing. It's hard to go off-campus. It requires a lot of planning, money, or both. The bars/downtown are about 20 minutes away, so you have to get a cab (or convince a friend to DD). It's more of a hassle than anything, so basiclaly you're stuck in the bubble. If you're awake on 2 am tuesday, you're doing homework. Things non-alcohol related to do? There are lots of campus sponsered events - movies, speakers, lectures, music, outside festivals, etc. Some are better than others. There are 3 malls within 10 minutes of school, and a little town, so shopping is a big thing. So is going out to dinner - people LOVE to go out to dinner here. there's a river nearby where people go to swim/tan in fall and spring. Other than that, people really don't go off-campus all that much.

Greek life is an important aspect of campus life. But our greek system here is very different than at most other schools. You do not need to be in a fraternity or sorority to enjoy many of the things that Greek societies offer. You also can be an independent and still have many, many friends. Greek life is just another opportunity to get involved and is an outlet for students who are interested in it. There are 3 reasons why I think our Greek system is great: 1. We have second semester rush, which means that when you come in as a freshman, you have an entire semester to figure out if Greek life is for you. You can also rush as a sophomore. 2. We have no Greek housing on campus, which really allows all students to be integrated all over campus. It is not as though the people in fraternities are segregated from everyone else. 3. We do have what are known as the Fraternity lodges. Each fraternity has its own lodge, which serves as a meeting room for the brothers and can also be a party room on the weekends. Lodge parties are where many of the weekend social activity takes place. At these parties, everyone at Richmond can attend if they would like to. It is not as though only certain people are invited to go to them; anyone can get in with their spidercard. Social life revolves around being on campus, which reflects the fact that 92% of students live on campus all four years.

The most popular groups are probably the football team or the fraternities/sororities. I am involved with the football team. Yes some students in the dorms leave their doors open. Sports games are not so popular along with theatre, but guest speakers sometimes receive nice turnouts. I am not wrapped up in the datung scene, but I would say scandalis. I met my closet friends by interacting with them and showing them that I was not the person they thought I was going to be when they first looked at me. Either bullshitting on my laptop or in one of my friends' rooms talking. The traditions and events that happen each year is the football teams spring game and the festival we call pigroast where people get drunk in the morning starting around 9 a.m. People party at least4 times a week at least. They are inportant to those wrapped up in them, but to me the fraternities here do not have my full attention at all due to their resentment of athletes. Last weekend I got drunk friday and saturday, friday went to a couples different parties around campus, and saturday I went to a fraternity lodge and then to an after-party at an apartment on-campus. Watch other people have fun drinking or go to the library and wish you were drinking with your friends. I go to the movies, bowling, out to eat, or hangout and chill with off-campus friends.

The Richmond social life is heavily greek oriented. Parties revolve around fraternities, sororities having no clear purpose for existing on campus. These parties are not exclusive but amazingly repetetive. Each one resembles another you had been to the night before. The students will forego and and all off-campus activities and the majority of on-campus ones in favor of these parties. Free concerts or movies that appear are shockingly underattended. Getting off-campus without a car is also extraordinarily difficult. The University likes to taut their "Spider Shuttle" available for students wishing to travel around town. However this shuttle is often cancelled, limited in its scope, and runs only at a few, rather inconvenient times on the weekend (not Sunday). The best advice I can give is to enjoy campus life for the first year and a half or two years while still taking advantage of what limited off-campus events or activities you can, then attempt to branch out into the community, moving off-campus by your Senior year. I would go so far as to recommend moving to the Fan, which will put you not too far from campus and allow easy access of city buses.

Richmond students love to work hard and play hard, and most of the time they play harder than they work. As for the party scene, a usual night starts out with friends pregaming in their dorm rooms/apartments until 11:30 or 12. Then they either head out to the apartments (where some juniors/basically all seniors live on campus) or the lodges. Each fraternity has their own lodge, which is a little house where the frat holds parties. The parties are basically just a huge dance floor inside with very drunken dancing and loud music and then people hanging out in the outside back of the lodge. People either love lodges or hate them. Other people just hang out and go to the apartments and drink with their friends or something. Lodges take place on Friday and Saturday nights. People go out to the apartments on Thursdays or go downtown to a club. People often go out other nights of the week as well if they don't have too much work to do. As far as Greek life, it is pretty important for guys to be in a frat, but sororities don't really matter. A lot of girls are in them, but it doesn't make that much of an impact on a girls social life.

Richmond offers just about any club or organization possible. However, if we don't have it, you can create it. I have had several friends start clubs or organizations on campus, and it seems virtually pain-free. Beyond clubs, Richmond offers six sororities and six fraternities to join. Greek rush is in the Spring Semester of your freshman or sophomore year, so that you have a chance to get settled in socially and academically before you rush. More than half of all girls participate in rush, while about 1/3 of men do. I met my closest friends in my freshman year dorm. We still live together and remain very close. However, I've met a lot of other great friends in my sorority or through campus activities. The dating scene at Richmond seems pretty casual. Most people tend to date around versus having one serious relationship. It's extremely easy to meet people because Richmond has a great social scene with parties at the campus apartments or fraternity lodges. Of course, if students choose not to drink, there are always movies showing on campus or concerts in the drama theatre.

Sports takes a backseat at Richmond, although we do have a fairly talented basketball and football team. Most people (the girls at least) leave their doors open or unlocked in the dorms. It is also not uncommon to see people leave their things out in the library--books, papers, bookbags, phones, and laptop computers. Everybody is fairly trusting and stealing is not very prevelant--mainly because people have enough already, there's no need to steal anything from anyone else. On the weekdays, one can expect a small trickle of drunk people coming back to the dorms around 1 or 2 in the morning. This increases significantly come Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. So therefore, if you don't drink--prepare not to have a social life. 90% or more of girls rush for a sorority. You may be getting a biased view because I did not rush myself, but in all honesty sororities and fraternities rule the social scene. You are labeled by what you are: a delta gamma, kappa alpha theta, etc. Hierarchies in greek life definitely exist, and are well known.

Fraternities and sororities are huge here. I think around half the girls are in some Greek organization and little less than half of the guys. The problem with the Greek organizations here is that they don't really know how to throw a good party. The parties are pretty weak comparative to other schools I've experienced. Add on top of that the fact that the fraternities are overflowing with a bunch of groupthink douchebags who think adhering to a frat gives them special powers is quite annoying and not conducive to your health if you cross them. I'm not the type to dislike Greek guys for being greek because I have experience with other schools. Its just the people aren't very nice here. On the whole, the social life is weak at best here. The parties are downright bad. Stick to a big school if you plan on being a big party person, trust me on that one.