University of Washington-Bothell Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Washington-Bothell Campus

Kimberly

Since I came from a high school where the majority of people I saw were Caucasian, it was really nice to see students of color from all different backgrounds. UW Bothell has a rather small campus, so professors ad other faculty and students are easily accessible. I think that by being here, I am more socially and politically aware of my education and my environment than I was when I was in high school. I was also so thrilled to see that there is a strong Vietnamese community at UW Bothell through the Vietnamese Student Association. It is really empowering to see students like me with similar passions and ambitions, and changing the normalcy of being white. I am grateful for all the things that I have learned and achieved at UW Bothell, and with the campus growing larger, I can't wait to see other bright students bringing more to the table.

Bryle

Overall, University of Washington-Bothell Campus is one of the three University of Washington campuses. The community is a small campus that allow students to feel engage with the campus and the profession. The campus is the most diverse college campuses in the nation; nearly 46 percent of UW Bothell students are students of color. My opinion of the campus is that this college allow me to get connected with extra academic clubs, students, and teachers. I would say that I have changed from my high school to college. I had learned and develop skills along the way in my first year of college. I would say my first year was a most memorable experience I ever had.

Michelle

I think that UWB is a overall decent school to attend. Unfortunately, it is not a good match for me. I think that they have a specialization that doesn't match with my future goals, which is why I am transferring. The professors I have had are good teachers and knowledgable on their topics. The students are also friendly so far.

Warisha

The campus is a notably small campus but includes a lot of opportunities to develop as an intellectual, most notably in STEM fields. Professors are very approachable and easier to get to know on a personal level compared to universities with a larger student to faculty ratio.

Eric

The University of Washington - Bothell isn't for everyone, and you should understand this. It won't give you a fraternity, nor is it a party school. But for those who want a small school with teachers that genuinely care about teaching their students, then I believe UW Bothell is the right Choice. The financial aid makes college actually as affordable as most Community Colleges. UW Bothell shares a campus with Cascadia Community College, which isn't ideal, but if you look past the campus, you'll find a great community of people there and a lot of things to do.

Mmeziemchi

University of Washington Bothell is a fantastic school

J.j.

It's small, but I prefer that. Classes sizes are great, usually 45 or less. Classes are mostly nearby each other, so its easy to get from class to class. Parking can be an issue at times as the enrollment continues to grow, but ultimately its not too crowded.

anam

as a student that has been going to the University of WA-Bothell for 3years now, I know that Bothell is the best university in WA. I love the teachers the people everything about it. Everyone is nice and friendly. I love how the professors communicate with each student in their class and know when something is wrong with a specific student. it shows that a teacher cares about​ ur learning and just you as a student.

Ana

I enjoy going to school every morning and interacting with students and faculty members. Love the library, amazing resources and librarians there are helpful. My most favorite thing about UWB would be the Maths and Writing centers they have there. They've helped so much with math homework and my writing pieces that would've taken me months to do. Honestly and truly, the perfect University for me and for many others. They have buildings built only because students wanted them and they base many priorities on what he students need to be successful.

Adam

This college is a great place for those looking for smaller class sizes. There is a variety of STEM majors to choose from, which are all taught more personally than anything at the Seattle Campus. The drive is much easier than to Seattle, and there are more parking spots than students. The facilities are clean, and despite marijuana being legal in the state it is still prohibited both on-campus and in the dorms. Dorms are essentially two-person apartments, rather than bedrooms with communal showers. The only complaint I have is that for any given major you must take a Diversity class all about power, privilege, and white supremacy. As a Computer Science/Software Engineering major, I find this basically useless, but it is a good GPA booster because if you nod along and parrot the professor you get an A.

Jordan

I have worked as an intern at the University of Washington Bothell’s Digital Future Lab (DFL) for the past three months. The DFL is an academic research lab at the university where students and alumni create educational video games and multimedia. The DFL is located in the Diversity Hall building, which is a nice facility that is always clean. Of the classrooms I have visited, either for recruitment visits or fellow interns’ presentations, they seemed to have a good class size, and the teachers and TAs were very friendly and urged their students to participate. UW Bothell shares a joint-campus with Cascadia College, and students from both schools have access to all facilities on the joint-campus. The Diversity Hall is located next to one of UW's parking lots, and there are several other lots and parking garages that are shared with Cascadia College. I have rarely had a problem finding a place to park. Parking is a little expensive, so I usually buy all day parking since it is cheaper than the other option of 3.5 hours, and that way I do not need to renew my parking pass if I end up staying longer. I've heard that the campus food is pretty good, and there is also a rotating schedule of food trucks that park in front of the ARC building. If students wish to eat somewhere else, it is a short 15-20 minute walk into Bothell where there are other places to eat. Since I am an intern at UW Bothell and not a student, I have not been to any clubs, but I have heard that there are a variety of cultural clubs, student unions, and other fun extracurricular activities. At the DFL, we focus on learning about diversity and providing a Safe Space for people of all backgrounds, while also providing a fun and engaging work environment. UW Bothell was one of the colleges that I applied to and got accepted, and after seeing what it is like, if I weren't already attending another school I think I would have liked it there!

Billy

I think that University of Washington- Bothell Campus is a great school for commuters and has lots of help available for their students. Although I believe that the challenge of the courses are not similar to the main campus, it still provides a challenge for others throughout the vast majority of programs they have. It is a great place to improve on smaller aspects of education due to the availability of help on campus. I believe that this campus is a great place for others to develop their skills for the future.

Anna

It's okay, but there's always room for improvement. Places which UWB rank high in are diversity, class size, welcoming community, and vast amount of resources. The area in which UWB could improve upon are the parking spaces, amount of food choices, and more close shops or hang out areas for students.

Angelina

Overall UWB is a good place to start out of you are too overwhelmed at some of the huge univesities. It's a tight knit community and people and professors try to take the time to get to know their students and peers. The class room sizes are similar to those in high school. That makes it easier to get to know your classmates better.

sofia

It's a fairly small campus with about 5,000 students in total. We share our library and some labs with the community college on campus. The class sizes are typically no more than 45 students, so it's a great learning environment. Professors are almost always available and respond to emails fairly quickly. There's a lot of opportunity to do research as an undergrad, so be sure to look our for flyers posted around campus. There aren't many food options on campus, although there are food trucks that come everyday. I would suggest packing your own lunch if you're on a budget like many college students. Bothell is a quiet city and there isn't much to do here , so that's why I decided to stay in Seattle and commute to school.

Estephanie

It's a great campus, there are faculty members that are always happy to help any student out. The campus is expensive in general. I was surprised that after paying tuition, I still had to pay more. The college is mainly focused on research, there's a lot of reading for classes, however, it can be interesting.

Samuel

UW Bothell is a good school overall, but some noticeable flaws are the fact that it's a commuter campus, so if you live in the area it's hard to find friends nearby. Other than that, I've met some amazing people and have had a lot of fun while studying.

Josephine

The University of Washington Bothell has a wide range of resources that cater to the variety of interests that students display. Whether it be the medical field or art industry, there is a place for each individual that steps onto campus. This university does not simply pump information into their students but instead encourages them to explore outside of their initial interests while pursuing their passions. The emphasis on interdisciplinary studies greatly rounds out and broadens each student's horizons.

Randy

A safe and really amazing campus. I feel like it is an opportunity for me to make new friends, get involved with community more, and study abroad.

Yen

Academic scene on the campus is great and it has been rigorous and challenging. However, the community that the staff and faculty create on campus is toxic and unsafe. The chancellor has not addressed any of the hate crimes against the Muslim and lblack community on campus. The campus insists that it celebrates diversity and inclusion, but it is the complete opposite. The staff and faculty have not addressed these issues and do not think of the students it will affect. I am more and more disappointed in my university every day. It's not what it used to be and it doesn't stand for any of its principles anymore.

Keristian

So far my experience with UW Bothell has been wonderful. I love the small class size and the professors are very helpful. In the future, I hope they have affordable and more food option on campus. Also, it would helpful to have more opportunities to be involved on campus. Overall, UW Bothell is wonderful in terms of academic excellence and quality.

The campus itself Is very nice but there are few things that need to be improved upon. One particular thing that I think needs to change is the access to food on campus. There really isn't any variety when it comes to the food on campus, we have a subway and a few food trucks but that's it. There is no cafeteria to go and eat and what we currently have just isn't enough to enjoy eating on campus. Other than that the Bothell campus is very nice.

Nathanial

The people and professors are nice, and the classes are fine, but the University of Washington’s Bothell campus is a mess. The rooms are way too small. During office hours, it’s a pain to fit visiting students into a tiny 15 square foot office that two professors are forced to share. The database systems told my counselors that I never passed high school. I was already accepted and was attending classes at the time. The vending machines break often, and the campus’ Subways once served me moldy bread. All other places for food are too far to walk and there’s barely any parking in the area. There are literally hundreds of crows that routinely visit in the evening and poop everywhere on everything and everyone. I should've gone to the Seattle campus instead.

The University of Washington- Bothell campus is a great campus for students who enjoy being involved with activities and participating in classes that are focused on community based learning. There are many opportunities for every type of student and the campus is very inclusive. If you can't afford a high tuition rate there are many options such as scholarships, grants, loans (short and long term), etc. The classes are also very small meaning that you will have an easier time building connections with your classmates and professors. Overall this campus I enjoy attending school at this campus and am pleased with the ways that my advisors and professors encourage applied learning. Their methods help students with skills that can be applied to careers after graduation.

Miley

I was very disappointed with my time at UWB, and I know a lot of other students who feel the same way I do. So, I'm surprised to see the other reviews. Dorms: I lived on campus in the first year of my college experience. While the dorms are very nice (there's a kitchen, a living room, a bathroom, and one decent sized room you share with your roommate), I had an AWFUL roommate. She would say things like, "I'm a b***h, and I know it" and "I love to manipulate people." Obviously, our shared experience isn't all her fault--I have a lot of regrets over lots of things that I did to contribute--but I do wish the school could have handled it better because the staff did nothing about it. I also know other students who were in similar situations (they weren't getting along with their roommates either), and the staff did not do anything about it too. I did not feel comfortable in my own home, which affected my ability to perform in school. Not to mention, the campus security went from making one round a day outside the dorms to three rounds in order to catch people drinking! The Area--Bothell: Bothell is tiny and very dull. There are maybe 5 bars in the city itself, and 2 out of those 5 belong to McMenamins, which is very pricey. There aren't a lot of food options either, and there are no clubs. There is one leading coffee shop: The Den Coffee Shop, which has gone downhill in the past five years and a couple of Starbucks. Also, nothing is open 24 hours in Bothell, so studying is done at the school buildings (which close at midnight, except the UWB library on campus closes much earlier), or in your dorm. The point is, there's nothing to do, specifically, in Bothell. I will say, there are a couple of places I enjoyed though--Sushi Zone (during the last hour to close, it's happy hour. So, most of their items are $1.50) & there is a GREAT massage clinic, Bothell Integrated Health. If you want anything else, you have to venture out into the surrounding cities. There's Kenmore (14 minutes away); Lake City, Seattle (20 minutes away); Woodinville (9 minutes away); Kingsgate/Totem Lake, Kirkland (10 minutes away); Waterfront, Kirkland (15 minutes away); Bellevue (20 minutes away); & Seattle. For this area, timing depends on where you're going because it encompasses many smaller areas, such as Queen Anne. These are estimates based on no traffic. The closest places to Bothell are Kenmore & Woodinville. Kenmore is like Bothell, where nothing happens, and Woodinville is also lackluster. There are more food options in Woodinville, but they're just okay. Food is terrific in Seattle, Kirkland, and surprisingly, Bellevue. Off-Campus Housing: I've seen in some UniGo comments for other universities, that $500-$900 of rent is expensive. Unfortunately, $900 is the norm here. Not for a place to yourself--but a room. Most people have roommates, and the cost to rent a room in either a two-bedroom apartment with someone or a six-bedroom house with six roommates is generally $1,000 per person in Seattle or Bothell. For Seattle, $1000 is more like the minimum. The only nearby area that's not so expensive (maybe like $700 per person), is Lake City because the area is not safe. I think the homeless problem there has a lot to do with it. Campus Food Options: There are five places on Campus to get food: Subway, Cascadia, Food for Thought, UWB, & food trucks (there's only one per day, so they rotate which one comes). Subway is the main place to get food because everything else, except for the food trucks, is weak sauce. Cascadia offers a coffee stand with snacks. Food for Thought is okay--they have expensive sushi, snacks, cup of noodles, candies, protein bars, some sandwiches, and is a coffee shop as well. The UWB "cafeteria" there is a coffee stand, seating, and a microwave. The food trucks are okay, but the majority of options are for meat-eaters. There aren't a lot of healthy food options on campus, and certainly not at the food trucks. Vegans, vegetarians, and health-conscious people--you will need to buy your groceries and make your food. Restaurants with your food options will be mostly available in Seattle and Kirkland. Advisors: They're pretty good! I have the impression that they do want to help students. My advisor was helpful & cared about me. Not to mention, scheduling an advising appointment was easy because you can do it online. Whenever registration comes around, it's more busy than usual, so plan accordingly. Major advisors are generally the same as well, just a little more serious. But since it's a small school, they're generally available and understanding if you don't have the best grades to get into your program. School Counseling: I used to talk to one of the counselors (let's call her Jane Doe), but she left to start her practice. At first, talking with her was helping. It was nice to have someone I could talk to, get advice from, and truly be myself around. I know so many therapists and counselors who listen and only ask questions. I find this is approach unhelpful. Jane Doe was different because she saw that I needed something different and worked with it. But once she left, I was at square one again. I tried group therapy (recommended by her), but I could tell the new counselor I worked with did not like me, and the students in my group therapy had a hard time connecting/talking. I felt like I was getting nothing out of it besides social awkwardness and a counselor that did not like me, which was hard to go to weekly. So, it wasn't for me, and the counseling system ended up not being the best fit for me. I think going to an outside source is the way to go on this. Student Academic Support Services (aka, the Quantitative Skills Center, aka the QSC): The QSC is UWB's tutoring center. You don't have to pay to receive help because it's school funded. When teachers are unavailable, this is your next best bet. But this center is extremely unhelpful because the tutors are required to help students by only asking questions. The department head is convinced this is the best way to help students, but as someone who is on the opposite end receiving the help, I can tell you it's harder than she thinks it is. Let me give an example: If you're in Calculus, let's say Calc 1, there are a lot of moving parts--you need to have a good understanding of algebra, pre-calc, geometry, etc. If you haven't been in math for a while, you are going to forget these small moving parts--like exponent rules, what "e" is, etc. These things aren't hard to learn again, but there are so many things that someone really ought to take the time to organize this information, review it, and put it into their curriculum. Or at least, go over it when they're using this material during the first week of class or something. But this not done, and the websites students use for their homework don't teach this either (almost every class uses online sites for homework). So, if you're not getting these answers from your teacher during class, the website, or your book, it must be from the tutors or teachers during their office hours. Unfortunately, because tutors can only ask questions, they can't tell you these small things or explain how you get your answer. They can only help you with one problem that might take up to 30 minutes, and then you still don't understand your answer, and then you still have to go to your teacher's office hours, which are maybe only twice a week and have lots of other students. Not to mention, there is one tutor there that should be fired. It's this older man with a HEAVY accent. Imagine this: he is explaining and drawing things fast, then pauses and asks if you are following. But due to the heavy accent, you can't understand him. So, you might say no and ask how he got to that answer. He explains it again, fast and not understandable. He then proceeds to another part of the explanation and asks again if you follow. He's not looking to see if you understand. He's looking for the answer yes regardless of what you've said. He doesn't care about you or your homework. He has his job, and that's what's important — so good luck future UW Bothell students. Education/Teachers: Teachers in STEM do not care if you understand the material or not. The one teacher I found that does, is Barry Minai (in the math field). But the bottom line is, most of them do not care. If you don't understand the way they are teaching their material, they will not tell you in another way. Either you get it or you don’t. Not to mention, because the school is still relatively new, not all teachers have taught the classes they are teaching. You might get some new teachers who have no idea how to teach you, mentor you, or tutor you. Lastly, if there is any homework plagiarism, I’ve found out that the teachers don’t care and can’t do anything about that either. I was in a lab with a d*****bag, and he did not do any of the work. When I finally reported him after realizing I could not do my final with him, the teacher said, well, his name is on your lab reports, so I can’t do anything about it. He and his friend then went on to later to key my car up and down the sides. So, an absolutely fantastic experience. Overall Opinion: Do not go to this school. Don’t even set foot on campus—you might get caught in one of their s**t storms. If you’re not aware of this, the school is built in the middle of the wetlands and for some reason, attracts literally thousands of crows. Reports say there can be up to 10,000 crows over-head. When they first get to campus, around 6 pm, poop literally rains down as if there was a rain cloud over-head. So, bring your umbrellas if you go!