Orlando, FL

Valencia College

« See more reviews of Valencia College

?Class we have a quiz tomorrow,? the teacher would say. ?Make sure you study.? After hearing that, some of my classmates would jot down a note in their planners, while others would write it on their hands. I personally would write it in my memory. When I would get home, I would do everything but study. I surfed the internet, ate a snack, took a nap and so on. Right before bed time I would study ten minutes then convince myself that the allotted time was sufficient to pass. If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would tell myself: Tiffany, you need to read the chapters in their entirety. I know it?s something that you rarely if ever do, but you would be wise to start. Also, you know those test dates that you call yourself remembering, well, you?re going to mix those up. You?ll study for an English exam but neglect Math whose test is tomorrow. Next time try writing the dates down. However, with less procrastination you can be an exceptional student. Remember, procrastination is the thief of time!

To my ambitious, impatient high-school self; focus on saving literally as much money as humanly possible in the weeks before you move away, and then some. Moving will cripple your savings account faster than your grandmother consumes coffee--and you know what I'm talking about, especially the way you burn through currency like an adult male at the peak of his mid-life crisis. Remember not to lose sight of your loved one's--I know you're stoked to leave that town in your rear-view mirror, but don't let the anticipation of everything blind you. Read every single day, when possible--Stimulate your mind with productive, progressive material. Spend significantly less time with all forms of technology, for your sake. You'll fiure out why eventually. Go outside whenever possible and always remember that no force in this world can dictate who you're going to be, society included. Also, don't forget to spend some time applying for scholarships before classes start in the fall- You'wont have to worry about it during winter break of your freshman year. Everything about who you are is going to change soon. It's time to prepare.

Crystal, I would like to point out certain essential points you should know before entering college. Be sure to take precautions in regards to who you decide to befriend. Even though college is designed to provide an education for students, many individuals seek to engage in activities that may not be so studious. Remember, ?tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who you are.? Also, you are now an adult and, therefore, should act and think as one. The decisions you make will mold and sculpt your future, so by no means allow yourself to be your own worst enemy. This is your chance to excel in your studies, challenge your mind, develop new interests, and make all of your most desired aspirations tangible and within reach. Be steadfast in your pursuit towards your goals because if you won't step up to the plate, someone else surely will. Life is a dog-eat-dog world and if you are not fighting against the tide, you are destined to crash with the current. Even when you may feel overwhelmed with work, know that you are battling for the most beautiful cause: your education, your future life.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would share a few key concepts to college success. First, I would impress upon my younger self to search for a college that I would desire to attend even if it's slightly more than I could afford (not a lot more). I would encourage myself not to take out student loans but to hunt vigorously for scholarships and score high on the SAT (never did well on the ACT). Second, try to stay at home for the first two years, attend a community college, and then transfer to the university of my choice. Hopefully, during that time, I will have acquired enough funds from scholarships, had a summer job, and saved money to live comfortably while finishing up my last two years. Last, but not least, I would insist that my more naive self should not meander or spend time frivolously. This is one of the most crucial times of my life, a time that requires great self-control and sacrifice to start my future on the right course. I must be steady and unfaltering while constantly seeking council from those deserving my respect.

Dear shakiyla, Its finally that time in your life where you are now going to face the real world and the adult stages of life. Yes college is filled with fun thrills and new adventures in life with out your parents holding your hand in everything you do but college is also about facing new challenges, obstacles, and struggles to help you grow up in life and take on the responsibilities and priorities that will help you succeed in college and in life's everyday amenities. College is all about sacrifices that you have to make and deciding what's right and what is most important to have a fulfilled life and career. It is very important that you save and invest in your money well and do your very best in school because even though its rough being a high school student, the reward of doing well in school will get you far in life. Being a christian you also know that having faith in God and believing and praying through any circumstance, God will supply you with the finances you and your parents will need. Have faith, trust in yourself and trust in God and you will overcome.

Know that your potential far exceeds endurance; never underestimate the power of a dream and never give up when there is an obstacle in the road. All men get stuck at an obstacle, but when you WORK HARD, endurance increases, and you'll be surprised where you can go after you have won. DREAM BIG, big dreamers accomplish big things. AMBITION is where your dream is born; without ambition you lack the focus to ATTEND TO YOUR ACADEMIC RESPONSIBILITIES. Remember that your professors and collegues will be your best friends, but if you BALANCE YOUR TIME in a social setting as a young scholar you will watch your educational progress soar. Now that you have ambition, your MOTIVATION MUST MATCH YOUR AMBITION. Any man can dream, but he will never achieve it unless he has to motivation to do so. Once you have the ambition and motivation to reach your dream, you must be DEDICATED to it, meaning you are applying a steady and consistent effort to be successful in your college career. Your life is beginning, but success is infinate. Sucess= Achievement + Recognition + Upgrading.

Dear Lauren, college is a lot more serious than you thought in highschool. You should have paid more attention to school and taken more advanced classes because you would have had a better gpa. All those test that you did barely average, you should have studied for. Studying is beneficial towards yourself in the long run because now im having a hard time concentrating and finding a good way to study. Also, remeber all the money you spent on shopping and other pointless things? If I would have had money saved up when I moved up here, I would have a lot less stress in my life. I'm constantly worried that I dont have enough money to pay my rent, buy my textbooks or other important things. I now have to find another job, so i might be working two jobs in order to have enough money to support myself. The transition is a little shocking at first because you realize how alone and independant you immediately become. Riding the bus around waste so much extra time so please get your license! The money you could have been saving from shopping could have gone towards a new car!

Life is a very bumpy ride so don't forget to brace yourself and prepare for the worst. Many friends will come but the few important ones will never go from your side so choose them wisely. Don't sleep around too much or else your heart will become hallow and love will never seem as beautiful anymore. Always stare at the stars so you can be reminded that everything is not about you, but about everything and everyone else trying to make a lasting mark on the universe. Laugh more so you can cry less about usless things. Be more brave when using those vibrant colors on your final piece, trust me, the bolder the better. Don't be afraid to expose emotions through your work because if you keep them hidden forever, no one will understand why you created works with such plain theme. Don't get into porn, it will waste your time and your imagination will become limited. Make sure you play the guitar everyday because doors will open up to you and true friends will come to hear your words of emotion. For final thought, don't worry about the future, it eventually comes tommorrow.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say, "Kristine, first go to a Community College, then look into a private university. Because, honestly general education is exactly that, a general education". I was a very good High School Student, I received my honors roll all four years, I attended every single class session, and I completed all my homework. I was so happy when I received my acceptance letter to Embry Riddle, because I thought I knew what I wanted. Also, the price of the college really didnt sink into my tiny little unexperienced brain. I recieved many scholarships, but even so, I still had to take out thousands of dollars in loans. I would of loved to stay at Embry Riddle but the fact that I had to keep taking out loans was just too much of a deterent for me. So, with that said, I would of told myself to go to a Community College or even a Public College. However, because I didnt think of the cost factor I am now at Valencia Community college and probably will be graduating from college in 2013 instead of 2012. *Sigh*

Knowing what I know now, I would have taken high school a lot more serious. I have no regrets, but I defintely fooled around more than needed. I could have spent that time getting ahead. I reccommend taking as many honors and AP classes that one can handle. AP classes = less classes to take in college! Making a connection with your teachers is extremely important. If you understand where they are coming from you can better understand what they are trying to say. You need to be extremely selfish. Only worry about yourself and your own well being. (in a good way) What I mean is, not to get caught up in other people's expectations or needs of you. You need to focus on your own path and how everything you do today will effect tomorrow. If the people you surround yourself with are not going to be a positive influence in where you want to go in life, then I would not allow them to penetrate your daily life. Be responsible, and believe in yourself. It is very possible to get straight A's in college, because I am doing it. Be open minded and enjoy yourself.