Orlando, FL

Valencia College

« See more reviews of Valencia College

Some things that should be known, the first week of school come early, or there will be no parking spaces available. After about 3 weeks, people start to withdraw and the parking lot is nearly empty. So if you do not want to be late, come extra early! Also, rent your books from chegg.com or purchase them online, used! Do not buy them at the college bookstore, SO expensive. I also recommend holding off on purchasing your textbooks until you get the syllabus on the first day because, half the people in the class will have a different text.

Kids tend to be rebellious, especially in their teen years. Many teenagers think their invincible and that they know every rule in the book. The one thing I wish I would have known before starting school at Valencia Community College is how important it is to interdependent. Many teenagers spend their high school years thinking they either know it all and or needing someone there 24/7 to do it all for then. Interdependence is important in college because you allow other people to help you and together you all work towards a common goal.

I wish I would have known about the Direct Connect program to UCF, as well as knowing the different campuses and travel time to these campuses. I attened this school blindly. I knew very little about Valencia and some how I am making it through, but if if would have known about these two things, it would have made it a whole lot easier on me. I make a huge commute to class becuase no one told me about different campuses or how to register for classes properly. Signing up for the Direct Connect Program is very difficult knowing nothing.

Honestly, I wish that I have known college was going to cost so much. I wish I would have saved up money for my books and classes. I have been taking six classes each semester and have been paying over $2000 a semester. Now most people think that it's not so much, but everyone has a different financial situation. I wish that I would have kept applying for scholarships but after filling quite a few out of them out and not receiving anything back, I had lost hope and never filled them out until today. SoI'm being optimisticthistime.

I wish I was aware of the freedom and independence I was going to receive from my college instructors before actually attending class. Many of my classes consisted of very few assignments, all due at the end of the semester. This meant I was required to do a great amount of studying and researching outside of the classroom. On some occasions, students let the freedom get the best of them through procastination. I adjusted fairly quickly, but knowing so beforehand would have made my first semester a better success.

Something I wish I knew before coming to school is about all the expenses. I always knew college was expensive. However my worries about tuition and paying for classes kept me close minded for the rest of expenses. Once I got to college I realized that I needed a budget if I wanted to make it to the end of the semester with gas in my tank. Even with a budget it was difficult, I had to pay for books, food, gas, printing, calculators, and the list goes on for what seemed forever. A good budget will be a necessity.

Being my first college experience, I was terrified my first day at Valencia. I wish I had known how helpful the advisors and instructors would be. My instructors have proven to be the greatest resources I have in achieving my goals. With so much information available at my campus it sometimes makes decision making difficult. My academic advisors are always there when I have a question regarding grades, pre-major courses or transfer options. Between both sources, no question goes unanswered.

I would have liked to have been better informed about the administrative process. What need to be completed and how dropping classes affects the student. Things like that, I had to find out on my own. I think they can do a better job of disseminating information. They give you a handbook the size of the yellow pages and you have to figure it out for yourself. They may be meeting their legal obligation but they are certainly not doing any service for their students.

I wish I knew the long range of classes to choose from so that I would have applied for them much earlier. When I started choosing my classes, I was discouraged to know that many of the classes I was interested in had already been filled up. But I did not give up and kept trying. By the next semester, I had applied for my classes in advance, and was able to choose the ones that I really wanted to be in. Being on top of everything is a must.

I wish I had known the financial aid rules prior to coming here, I now have to reappeal financial aid due to my general studies degree being completed and now that respiratory care is an associate in science, I may not get coverage because it is another associate degree, and I was not able to change because my general studies had to be completed prior to me trying to get accepted into a limited access associate in science program.