Lexington, VA
Virginia Military Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Military Institute

Maura

It is great school for both academics and discipline. The skills learned at VMI can be applied in both military or civilian world, and put the students ahead in both leadership and integrity. VMI teaches how to time manage like no other college in America. Cadets here learn how to do get work done quickly and never lacking in quality.

William

In my opinion the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) is the best college that this country has to offer. I couldn’t be happier with my decision to attend VMI. The institute has bestowed integrity, discipline, and honor upon every single one of us cadets. I have faced many challenges while at VMI, whether physical, mental, or emotional. But the beauty of this is that VMI has taught me how to overcome these challenges and learn from them. These rigors are what help us meet the academic demands of the school. It is not easy; VMI requires more than just basic knowledge of the curriculum and much more than just a little bit of my time. VMI has enabled me to exceed my own expectations personal abilities. I was able to make the Dean’s List for both semesters of my first year at VMI and I recently just received my Emergency Medical Technician certification. Before attending VMI, I would never have dreamed of achieving either one of these accomplishments.

Grace

This place is extremely challenging, spartan in nature, but unparalleled in its magnificence and tradition. The students are extremely proud of their accomplishments, and their affiliation with this college is a source of great esteem, not only amongst the cadets, but also among the alumni and the locals in general.

Nathan

This is literally the toughest school in the nation. At VMI you will find the military life mixed with the educational life mixed with extracurricular activities in a blend not seen on any other college campus. The Ratline at VMI continues to be a case study in professional behavior and character growth that rivals the training regimens of the Academies. If you want your degree to carry the weight it's supposed to, then challenge yourself; attend the Virginia Military Institute.

Samuel

I love this school and everything it represents. I love the emphasis on personal honor and excellence in every walk of life. Every Cadet is a man or woman of their word, at least a bit concerned with their physical fitness, and concerned with their academics. VMI isn't a normal college, nor should it be. It produces some of the best leaders America has and has seen.

Kailey

My classmates or "brother rats" come from all walks of life and we have bonded through misery, perseverance and sheer will to survive and help one another to make it to the next sunrise.

VMI is known for its spartan-like living conditions and the silver tongued upper classmen who appear out of thin air to motivate and guide you in following the 175 year old traditions of right and wrong by loudly encouraging you in your face ...and also attend classes that may apply to your major.

The mean girls are amateur hour compared to the VMI cadre! Do not waste energy on the caddy comments of silly high school girls. Their words mean nothing. Your future will show you that in your darkest hour you can pick yourself up, fall again and then fall again, but you will never quit. You have goals to be a United States Marine. You will learn to prioritize studying while balancing the rigors of VMI. Believe in yourself! You will achieve at the college level because you are meant to accomplish your goals. You will make lifelong friendships.

Johnnie

In a nutshell, my classmates are very intelligent and are always around if you need help, as well as the teachers. Students at my school have worked hard, just i have to get where we are and honestly some of my classmates surpass the intelligents of upperclassmen themselves.

If I had the chance to relive my high school days as a senior, I would push myself harder than an I ever could have. College is all about working hard and doing a good job but if you come into college just finally figuring that out, I'm pretty sure things arent gonna look too good. When everyones a senior, including myself, you slack and don't really care about much because your so ready to escape from the high school pasttime. Included with classes, you don't even want to fill out scholarships or applications because your so busy with trying to live a fun life with your friends that you feel it isn't one of your priorities. That was me. I kept up with my grades and all but I honestly could have put in a little extra effort into scholarships and preparing for college like a I'm practically doing now. I would have told myself to get it together and start wanting more for myself and not wasting my life away. After high school it's the real world, now what?

The best thing about my school is the skills it gives you. Gives you a high sense of discipline and effective time management skills to complete all tasks given to you even if they keep pilling up on top of you! My school is high respected for its military discipline as well as the small classroom size so many have more opportunity to meet with teachers and expands their learning.

Ottie

You will learn more from college than what your major specifially entails. Though receiving a quality education is an important criteria when looking into colleges, it is not the only thing. Other aspects that should be considered are diversity of the student population, values the college holds close, average class sizes, extracurricular opportunities, and the surrounding area among many others. It is very important that you take all of these things into consideration. When this is done, your transition into college life is easier. Also keep in mind the reason you are going to college. Is it to get a job? To go to graduate school? All are things to consider. Take VMI... If you are going to college in order make a better living with a good job post graduation, VMI is a great choice. VMI lays a solid foundation for the rest of your life, however there are other schools that do this as well. So in choosing between these schools you need to choose a school that will give you the opportunity to succeed, but also challenge your limits and current ideals. You can do this by looking at diversity, class size, and extracurricular opportunities.

VMI is the worst place to be at, but the best place to be from. As a cadet you suffer physically and mentally. The rigors of cadet life are around every corner. However, life as a VMI alumni is unbelievable. VMI graduates are taken on faith everywhare as honorable men and women of integrity. VMI gives its graduates a great life post graduation, so graduates are know to be extremely loyal to VMI, and often times give back to the Institute. VMI is second only to Harvard for average amount of money given back per alumnus.

VMI has an intensely regulated daily schedule. Every single hour of our day (including when we sleep) is laid out for us. This leads to very little free time. We are required to attend formations and classes. Unauthorized absences result in disiplinary action. These things are all expected as it is a military school, however it is a negative when you consider the amount of time you have to yourself. Only a limited amount of time is set aside for homework, so all of this time is needed to complete your homework. This does not leave much time for yourself.

Kylie

A mentally and physically challenging roller coaster that progressively gets easier as your four years climbs; however, it isn't anything you would expect from a college. You will get a 100% UNIQUE experience that is only worth it to few.

Don't listen to recruiters. They will tell you what ever they can to sell you THEIR school. Go to the school, stay overnight with a student and interact with the students and professors. Find the one that best suits you not by what the brochure says, but by what you have experienced. You are the one that is going to be attending the school for the next 4+ years of your life, not the recruiter!!

It can physically, mentally and emotional tear you apart, but if you are strong mentally and fight for what you want (not physically) you can do it. But only do it if you want to.

Shane

Friends for a lifetime

Friends for a lifetime

Pick a college you love; not for its prestige. Remember you will be there for 4 years of your life, so make sure you really want it. Check out the alumni too; good alumni provide great support for the future. Whether it be during school or finding a job after school.

Virginia Military Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.