Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

Students are VERY politically aware. I know two girls at least who, every morning they read the New York Times and every time they walk into a room with a television, turn on CNN, I'm not even joking. There is any number of financial backgrounds because Wellesley has a really good financial aid program. Most students on campus are leftist democrats but we do have a republican group on campus just like the democratic group. I'm pretty sure there are some closet republicans on campus because it's hard for me to believe there are as few as seem to represented by the republican group. Students often say stuff like, "when I'm rich and famous, I'm going to ____" but it's said sort of jokingly. People pretty much all believe if they set their mind to it they can make as much as they want and that their life will be determined by them when they graduate.

The stereotype that everyone at Wellesley is a lesbian or bisexual is completely false. But, like any great institution, Wellesley has a great myriad of different people from different places and different walks of life. I truly believe that this is one of its greatest assets. Most students are quite laid back, and supremely friendly. There is nothing out of place with sitting with a group of people you have never met before in the dining halls. There is great diversity in the socio-economic, and international communities at Wellesley as well. Women at this college are also very politically oriented and opinionated, which is great! That being said, there are also people who take no interest in politics, but the political Wellesley woman is another stereotype-- quite an accurate stereotype actually.

Wellesley has a group for everyone. They might not be big orgs..but they'll be there. Everyone tends to be very PC though (especially in class).. which can get annoying. You can wear wtvr you want to class..there are those who have time to get all dolled up- there are those who roll out of bed and into class. There are girls from all over the world and all financial backgrounds and everyone interacts. Sometimes there are differences between international students and their corresponding "ethnicity" in the states, but that can easily be overcome. Of course, most girls are left of center but you can find people of all political parties.

Many years ago, the school could have been characterized by women who wear "pumps and pearls", but that time is long since past. Now, the school is very diverse and students from all racial, socioeconomic and geographic locations come here. Students are often over-achiever types and self-competetive, but not competive with each other. They are always willing to help each other out in any way possible, which creates a great sense of community. Some stay on-campus in the "Wellesley Bubble", but most spend time off campus socializing with each other and with other Boston-area students.

Wellelsey women are strong independent women who know what they want out of life and are willing to go achieve it. My classmates are very competitive both inside and outside the classroom, but are also very easy to communicate with and always willing to give a helping hand to get some of their classmates through a struggling time. At wellesley your classmates easily transform into a family community, so the constant support system is always behind you, pushing you to strive and achieve your goals in becoming a success.

Lots of rich students, but that's at most higher tiered colleges. Compared to other colleges, Wellesley is pretty diverse racially and with regards to sexuality. It's quite liberal, but there are groups that are more conservative that have some voice. For this election season, the students were predominantly split between Hillary and Obama--I didn't see any other political groups created for other candidates except for someone discreetly posting about forming a group for McCain. Haven't heard from that group since.

Arguably, one of the best things about Wellesley is the diversity. I came from a very homogeneously white upper/middle-class area, and I was scared for a culture shock. I love having floormates from Hawaii and Belgium, and roommates both from Sweden and the county next to mine! Learning about different cultures has been a great asset for me in my time here. Wellesley is not a fashion-forward place, but if you are, you can be. It is very non-judgmental, and I love it for that.

I can't imagine a girl who would feel out of place at Wellesley -- there are so many different kinds of people here and so many organizations to support them. Wellesley is incredibly diverse, but groups tend to self-segregate, either by race, ethnicity, sexual preferences. The school gives a lot of financial aid, but a lot of girls' families also pay the entire tuition. The campus is incredibly liberal -- there is a republican club, but they're pretty far underground.

Students are very diverse here. Most students are friendly and they make really good friends with you, but some are overly competitive. In some classes, each student becomes friends with each other because the class atmosphere is so collaborative and friendly. Most students care about politics and social events and they are often very active. They intend to make a real difference and they do strive toward that in their college years.

Most students wear jeans and a fitted shirt to class, although many do feel comfortable to wear work out clothes or pajamas once in a while. Most Wellesley students are from New England, California, or Texas. Many are from the upper-middle class. Most students are politically aware--go Hillary!--and they usually lean to the far left. I rarely hear students talk about thier future earning potential, that's just tacky.