Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

Social life on campus is lacking, although there are some decent parties throughout the year. The good news is that a short bus ride away is Boston. Students go to Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, and Tufts for social scenes. One of the best things about Wellesley is meeting students from different schools and sharing experiences together.

Wellesley Athletics are pretty much a joke. Having a social life in the traditional sense (frat parties, ect.) takes more effort than at a coed school, but lots of women do it. If you know the right people, however, you can find fun on campus any night of the week.

Social Life... there isn't really one. you can have one, but it takes a lot more effort than it would at many schools. If you are a really hard worker and really am working for those A's-- having a social life is pretty difficult.

Students shut their doors and are not open to making new friends after their first year.

I love SBOG. It helps to save this campus socially. As does Phi Sig.

If you are worried that there won't be anything to do... let me set the record straight. You're WRONG. My biggest mistake when I got here was figuring I would have SO much time on my hands. In high school, I was involved in a whole slew of activities - and you know why? Because homework in high school is a joke. Homework in college, however... that's a whole 'nother story. Anyway - not the place for that bit. I'm involved in the Wellesley Widows (dressed to kill since 1949 - check us out at www.wellesleywidows.com), which is one of 5 major a cappella groups on campus. The other 4 are the Tupelos, the Blue Notes, Awaken the Dawn (Christian a cappella), and a Wellesley-MIT group called the Toons. Also on campus are myriad instrumental groups, including the Brandeis-Wellesley Orchestra and the Chamber Music Society (which creates small chamber groups based on who auditions). If you play the tuba, will you come to Wellesley and play with me? I'm trying to start a brass quintet (I play the trumpet) but we have no tuba. That's my one problem with the music department - no tuba! How can this be?! Anyway, beyond that, there are a whole variety of groups focused on race (Ethos, for example - for the African American women of Wellesley), culture, language, party affiliation... you name it, we've probably got it. And if we don't, well, you can start it. Now, socially, Wellesley is kind of odd. We have huge parties every once in a while on campus that tons of people come to - but if you're straight and looking to make a connection, these parties are not really the place to do it. There are plenty of really nice guys, I'm sure! I only seem to find the ones that drunkenly take of their shirts and try to show off their pasty chests. Ok, I don't mean to creep you out - that was only once. The last party I went to, I had a great shouted conversation with a Harvard grad student. It can be done! It's tough though. The best thing to do is to make friends either with people at other colleges in the area, or make friends with people at Wellesley who have friends at other colleges in the area. Social life at Wellesley is, to quote a commonly used phrase here, "what you make of it". That said, there is plenty to do on a Saturday night that does not involve drinking. You can go into Boston and catch a concert, rent some movies with your friends, attend a cultural function on campus, play some board games... again: what you make of it.

Guest speakers here are FANTASTIC: So far this year we've had Gloria Steinem, Elaine Brown, LeVar Burton, Hillary Clinton, and more. It's so great. Do people leave their doors open? Depends on the dorm; they all have different cultures. I live in Dower, which is the tiniest dorm on campus, but we also all know each other and have intense dorm spirit, so our doors are usually open. In some of the bigger dorms, it's not like that, but I'd say that in at least half of the dorms, doors are usually open. The dating scene? Um, I'm going to have to assume this is a generic question, because... Wellesley. Yeah. There isn't too much dating going on on campus (except of course for the les/bi/trans community, and I'm not totally sure how that goes). People have boyfriends at other area schools -- Harvard, MIT, BU, Babson, Olin, Brandeis, etc. People go to parties, but I think most serious relationships get started through cross-school events, mutual friends, etc -- as opposed to the MIT frat houses. If I'm up at 2am on a Tuesday, I am doing homework. (Or procrastinating.) In fact, forget Tuesday. If I'm up at 2am any day Sunday-Thursday (and I basically always am), I'm either doing homework, or pretending to do work, or taking a break from doing work, or whatever. We stay up late. We work hard. These two things are definitely connected. Traditions are so, so great! Midnight breakfast on the first night of reading period, Primal Scream the night before finals, dorm crew, class crew, Lake Day, big and little sisters, hoop rolling, Spring Week, dorm wars, teas, Community Dinner, and so much more. LOVE IT. Traditions are a big part of what gives Wellesley such a great community feel. People party, but they usually go off campus. On campus parties are, from what I hear, pretty lame. (I don't party too much, but that's what I've been told.) If people do go to on-campus parties, a lot of them pregame. And we obviously don't have frats. We have societies, which are sort of like sororities but with a stronger academic/community focus (like, there's an arts/music society, a literary society, etc), and they have houses, but the girls don't live in them (they just use them for parrties/events). Last weekend I watched a bunch of movies, did homework, and caught up on sleep. Sometimes I go into Boston, which is awesome. We go out to dinner/to movies/to plays/to museums/shopping/whatever. I think Boston is fantastic.

Being at a women's college is really, really strange but only when you are at other schools or talk to your friends at other colleges or universities. The first month/year you will be convinced that everyboby else is having more fun at their respective schools--they are drinking more, partying more, and studying less. But by second year, you'll realize that many people at big state schools (or any school that isn't Wellesley for that matter) are doing the same thing every weekend, hanging out with the same people, and waking up with the same, familiar hangovers. You'll soon appreciate the fact that you have a million amazing female friends who support you and who you will know forever (and who isn't your friend because of that "one time you got totally wasted at TDC.") You'll begin to understand that not everyone has the opportunity to talk to Hillary Clinton during lunch (because one of my poli sci. professors taught her and was her "favorite professor) and that having an internship at the Vermont Supreme Court sophomore year is not the norm. Also, because there isn't as big a "party scene" at Wellesley, you'll have friends at schools across the state (and many in other states). You will see plays in NYC, attend great lectures, and party at a frat (I promise). And while finding boys is tough, you'll meet the "good" guys. Boston not only has a ton of schools but these are also some of the best colleges and universities in the country. There might be fewer men/harder to find men but haven't you noticed that the best things in life aren't always the easiest to find? I have dated a lot since coming to college (not too much or anything) and am rather content with the state of my love life.

Club sports teams, especially ultimate frisbee and rugby, seem popular. A lot of people become involved in reslife or student government, too. I'd say those are the most popular extracurricular activities. I'm in an a cappella group and a dance company, and I met my closest friends through both of those, particularly a cappella, since we rehearse together almost every day. I especially love my a cappella group because each member is so talented, and has a really distinct personality, very quirky. I like a cappella parties so much better than frat or society parties because they're more intimate and because I like the people better. Students leave their rooms unlocked all the time, although people who live in singles tend to lock them more, I guess because they don't have to worry about accidentally locking out their roommate. A lot of the cultural shows on campus are extremely popular, more so I think than athletic events or plays. People really seem to embrace opportunities to learn about other cultures. Some people make it a point to party every weekend, and sometimes there are parties on campus, usually hosted by a society, which is similar to a sorority, that they can go to, but for the most part, they go off campus. When I go off campus, it's usually to take a ballet class, go shopping, or to go out to a cute restaurant. I especially like the atmosphere at Harvard Square. Generally speaking, Wellesley girls don't party that much. I know lots of people who have never even tasted beer before.

Wellesley is full of traditions, and has hundereds of different organizations. There are always free lectures going on, theater productions, and crew is a big sport. Students leave their doors open, and my roomate and i almost never locked the door all year. I met my closest friends during orientation week and the bonds grow from there. There are 4 of us that are almost like family, and i have never had such close friendships. there are always a handfull of wellesely women that end up transfering to coed institutions after their first year, because of the lack of males, or feeling isolated on campus. I found getting off campus with a few other girls actually really easy. if you want to explore boston, meet guys, and have a social life, you have to put forth the effort. Wellesley tries to make this easier for us with the bus systems which take wellesley students into boston every hour. from any of the bus stops you can then take the subway or taxi anywhere in boston. It takes homework, effort, and always helps to have friends with you. I found wellesely to be a both a stimulating academic enviorment, but also a safe one that i always returned to when i needed to focus. It does feel seperate from the rest of boston, but that is why i would go out every weekend even for just a movie with the girls.