Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

The social life at Wellesley... what social life? You will make really good friends here. I have made friends who I will probably have for the rest of my life because they are amazing people. However, meeting men can be a challenge (if you are attracted to women, then this is not as much of a problem) because there are no men on campus and rarely do men visit campus. To meet a potential male date, you most likely have to meet them at MIT or Harvard or other schools in the area. Students don't really leave their doors open. People awake at 2am are studying or doing homework (and don't want to be bothered!). People try to party but it often gets broken up by campus police because of noise complaints from people trying to study. We do have a lot of fun traditions. The freshman get to throw a penny into the lake and try to jump in after it and find it (finding it is good luck) during orientation week. There are tea and cookies in the dorms on wednesday nights. During reading period, a big thing is to go to Midnight Breakfast which is exactly what it sounds like (it's fun though, I swear). The night before finals start, everyone runs out of their dorms for Primal Scream (everyone screams as loud as they can for a long time to get all their frustration and anxiety and other bad vibes out).

As a person who does not like to go to wild parties, having many other social opportunities is very important to me. On a typical weekend, I enjoy going to theater productions on campus of which there are many throughout the year. I enjoy watching movies with my friends either in our rooms or watching the ones shown by the Film Society on Friday and Saturday evenings. There are also many cultural events that occur yearly such as Shruti Laya, the South Asian students cultural performance, and the Latina Cultural Show. There are many students who do not wish to party and as a result, there are so many options for us non-party people. There are sororities on campus but they do not dominate the social life. During the week there are multiple guest lectures a week that always seem so interesting and yet there is never enough time to go see all of the ones you wish you could see. Life on campus is very busy not only with school work but with extra curriculars and the various sports events on campus. It is wonderful to have to choose from so many events but at the same time I wish that I could attend so much more and support all of my friends who participate in these wonderful events.

I've already talked about this somewhat. There is a group for pretty much everyone. I play Ultimate, which is AMAZING. The game, the team, pretty much everything is awesome. Most of my friends also play (as do both of my roommates for next year). I spend most of my time hanging out/doing work with the team. I made a bunch of friends at the beginning of first year through my FYM (first year mentor) group, many of whom lived on the same hall. Their hall was really social, mine a lot less so. There are no first year dorms, but the hallways with a lot of first years tend to be a lot more social than those with more juniors/seniors. The mix is nice, though, since I've met some upperclassmen that I would never have met otherwise. Sports are really not a big deal at Wellesley, people generally don't go to sports games unless they happen to be friends with the Athetes. Our sports teams are not great, although teams tend to be very tight-knit. We also have 4 societies, three of which are like traditional sororities, and one of which is a Shakespeare Society, and is known to be a little strange.

There are a ton of organizations on campus. Attending all of those events alone, you would be too busy to go to class. Sometimes people complain that Wellesley is too quite socially; it is not a big party school so in that way that is an accurate complaint. But people do have parties and the new student center has a space that is being utilized for bigger parties and a lot of people go into Boston to party there. There are two societies (basically sororities) with houses on campus and they throw big parties every so often. People date at nearby schools (or at Wellesley!) or visit with significant others from home. Sports are not very popular but if you know someone on a team, you'll probably see them play. Guest speakers are huge- we have great funding for student orgs to apply to to bring people from all over. Cultural shows are big as well. The campus is really safe- a ton of people don't lock their doors. You'll meet a lot of people in your dorm. I met most of my friend during my first year, in what is called my First Year Mentor Group which is like your orientation group.

The most popular groups would probably be the cultural organizations, because they normally are the ones that throw parties and organize other events on campus, and then the college government. Living at Wellesley I feel pretty safe, because many students leave their dorms unlocked, and theft is really not a large problem on campus. There are a few different traditions that happen each year, some of which people don't know about unless they come to this school. During the week, most students work pretty hard, so that they have the weekends to relax and go off campus. Most people go out to party on Fridays and Saturdays, sometimes Thursdays and Sundays as well, or go to dinner, or movies, but if you want to stay on campus, you can hang out with friends, or watch a movie, or just relax. Greek life is not a large part of Wellesley's activities, because there are no sororities recognized on campus, but there are Boston chapters that you can pledge to.

If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am studying like crazy! Partying is pretty big at Wellesley. There is usually an on-campus party every weekend but most girls like to go to parties at MIT frats or Harvard Finals Clubs. Not everyone goes out, some girls don't like partying and you can choose how often you want to party or how often you want to stay in. I suggest getting out of the Wellesley Bubble every once in awhile, but it doesn't have to be partying. There are a million things to do in Boston and on Saturdays there is a bus to the mall. Guest speakers bring a lot of people out. Plenty of big name speakers come here and the other schools in the area. It is amazing all of the people that you can meet and the things that they accomplish. We don't have sororities but we have societies that throw parties and host other activities. They all have themes like Art and Music, Literature, and Lecture.

As a lesbian, I can say that if you are too, or think you might be, you should come here - it is a lot of fun. Lots of on-campus women's parties with plenty of dyke drama and debauchery. Good times. For all women regardless of sexual orientation, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live for four years in an all-women community and really experience what it is like for women to be in charge and to relate primarily to each other rather than to men. You will get a core feminist sensibility and confidence that will serve you well throughout life. Another thing I love about Wellesley is how its very progressive politics exist alongside the many longstanding traditions, which help connect you to all the women who have passed through this place before you: Hoop Rolling, Flower Sunday, Step Singing, Lake Day, Dorm Crew, Big and Little Sisters, etc.

The greek "societies" are very popular, and so are sports teams such as rugby, volleyball, and crew. The hip-hop dance troupe Freestyle and the two most active singing groups, Widows and Blue Notes, are flooded with auditioners every year. The dating scene, considering the circumstances, isn't so bad. MIT, Harvard, and Babson boys flood the college on the weekends for society parties and campuswide events. I'll admit, our parties aren't the best. Practically every night of the week there is some kind of campuswide event, whether it's a performance, a guest speaker, or a party. On quiet nights you could go to the campus pub or drive into the city (the shuttles run until 1am on the weekends). The campus is small and the student body is all women, so Wellesley is kind of its own sorority. School spirit is high, and we look out for one another.

Tons of campus organizations to get involved in and continue to compete outside the classroom for who is more of an overachiever and going to take over the world. Students are involved and most social conflicts arise from these acitivities. Students don't leave their dorm doors open and like 5 people go to sports events. More go to guest lectures. Dating= non existent unless you have a boyfriend from high school, you're willing to settle for a huge loser, or you are gay. my closest friends and I met by living together and bonding over our misery and trying to make fun of the situation while making the best of it. I don't go out much but people do drink at frat parties at MIT and Harvard. I try to get off campus as much as possible but with classes and homework I usually crash friday nights and just watch a movie and pig out.

There is a wide variety of orgainzations on campus, and it doesn't seem like there are any especially prominent ones. I am involved with WEED, a group that organizes lectures and fun events related to sustainability and the environment. Wellesly has a lot of traditions- Flower Sunday, Lake Day, hoop rolling, but I didn't participate in any of them, so I couldn't tell about them first hand. There are no fraternities and sororities, but there are societies that don't seem to be extremely important on campus. On weekends I spend Friday night and Saturday relaxing, reading, sleeping, and watching a movie. On Sunday I do homework and occassionally attend a WEED (Wellesley Energy and Environmental Defense) meeting.